It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• How are any of you doing with Lexapro??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    How are any of you doing with Lexapro??

Hi,

I have posted before about perimenopause frustrations. I went to my gyn yesterday and after the exam I talked about the issues I have and the anxiety I am having a hard time dealing with. Much of it is due to the fact that I have Irritable Bowel and also a back problem where my back went out last year and when the pelvis area is out of whack as it has been (unaligned) my abdominal muscles are affected and of course in perimenopause we have more of the gastrointestinal problems anyway which comes into play. I have just been fretting over every little twinge.

So we discussed some natural options (b vitamins, evening primrose, etc) but she also felt Lexapro would help and said there are little side effects. but she said it does make your stomach act up at first. She said to take 1/4 pill for 5 days and by then it should work fine with my stomach and then up it to 1/2 a pill for 2 weeks and stay at that if it helps anxiety. If not up it to a full one.

I took a 1/4 last night and had indigestion at first and nausea (did not get sick) during the night. I did call her today and she said this was consistent with what some women feel with it at first (heartburn and the nausea) but to "try and push thru with it" and it would subside. If it did not after the intial 5 days then to call and she could give me somethin else.

So...my question is...if you are taking Lexapro or have...have you experienced this stomach thing and for how long. I know everyone is different though.

Also, is there anything natural you find that helps and if this does not work for me (lexapro) I was thinking of trying more natural methods .

I am so tired today after being up a bit of the night with the nausea feeling and also wigging myself out about it.

OH..also she suggested Estrovan Hormone therapy which are vitamins (not hormones) for the perimenopause symtpoms but it does not take care of anxiety she said. Is anyone takign that?

Thanks for reading this long post and for any input you have.

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 05:03 PM   #2
    PennyD

PennyD HB User
    Re: How are any of you doing with Lexapro??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmc12
    Hi,

I have posted before about perimenopause frustrations. I went to my gyn yesterday and after the exam I talked about the issues I have and the anxiety I am having a hard time dealing with. Much of it is due to the fact that I have Irritable Bowel and also a back problem where my back went out last year and when the pelvis area is out of whack as it has been (unaligned) my abdominal muscles are affected and of course in perimenopause we have more of the gastrointestinal problems anyway which comes into play. I have just been fretting over every little twinge.

So we discussed some natural options (b vitamins, evening primrose, etc) but she also felt Lexapro would help and said there are little side effects. but she said it does make your stomach act up at first. She said to take 1/4 pill for 5 days and by then it should work fine with my stomach and then up it to 1/2 a pill for 2 weeks and stay at that if it helps anxiety. If not up it to a full one.

I took a 1/4 last night and had indigestion at first and nausea (did not get sick) during the night. I did call her today and she said this was consistent with what some women feel with it at first (heartburn and the nausea) but to "try and push thru with it" and it would subside. If it did not after the intial 5 days then to call and she could give me somethin else.

So...my question is...if you are taking Lexapro or have...have you experienced this stomach thing and for how long. I know everyone is different though.

Also, is there anything natural you find that helps and if this does not work for me (lexapro) I was thinking of trying more natural methods .

I am so tired today after being up a bit of the night with the nausea feeling and also wigging myself out about it.

OH..also she suggested Estrovan Hormone therapy which are vitamins (not hormones) for the perimenopause symtpoms but it does not take care of anxiety she said. Is anyone takign that?

rmc
    My GP gave me Lexapro in August 2003 for panic/anxiety attacks that I now know were a part of peri-menopause. I had a violent reaction to one 10mg pill!!! It is time released and every time it released I gave very nauseated and my blood pressure and pulse went very high. A few weeks later she gave me Zoloft I had nausea with it but not a blood pressure or pulse problem. The nausea with the Zoloft was too much for me. So finally I found this board and Molly wrote about Paxil CR with no side effects and that same week a client who is a nurse practioner said the same thing about Paxil CR. I have been on it for 32 days and have had NO side effects!! I am doing so much better. I was better the first week I was on it. If the Lexapro doen't work out you might try the Paxil CR. Hope you feel better soon.
    Penny

Old 03-25-2004, 10:08 PM   #3
    Ann123
    (female)

Ann123 HB User

I am on Lexapro. The stomach side effects went away for me in about a week and it is working out fine for me now. 10 mgs a day.

Old 03-26-2004, 06:19 AM   #4
    cocohoney

cocohoney HB User

I am on Effexor for perimenopause. My doc put me on Paxil first, but I gained alot of weight (but the med worked fine). Then my doc put me on Lexapro and again I was gaining weight (and again the med worked fine). I had no side effects, etc., but now I'm on Effexor which is a great med!! I told my doc that I didn't want to take these meds and wanted to take herbs or take some natural supplements or vitamins. She suggested St. Johns Wort, Kava Kava or 5-HTP, but in order for them supplements/herbs to work efficiently, you'd have to take 10-12 to equal what is in one pill such as Effexor or Paxil, etc. So, I decided to stay with Effexor for the time being. Perhaps later when I'm doing alot better, I'll go the natural way . . . my husband loves the way I am now. I'm not the bitter, whiney, crying and ***** I used to be. Anyway.....good luck and have a God blessed day!!

Quote:
    Hi,

rmc

Old 03-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #5
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hi rmc,
    My dr. originally prescribed me Wellbutrin XL which I felt weird for the 9 days that I took it. I was already feeling so horrible, the side effects were makng me feel worse.

I was later prescribed Paxil CR 12.5mg (the lowest dosage) and I didn't experience any side effects and felt better right away. The dr. said if the Paxil didn't work for me, he would then try me on Effexor.

I have been taking lots supplements and vits too. I have been taking Estroven and just ran out this week. I don't know if the Estroven helped or if I'm going to get more now that I'm out. I am drinking Revivial soy shake which has 160mg of soy which is more than what's in the Estroven. I do think the B vits, Magnesium and the Evening Primrose helps. I am no longer waking up with these headaches nor am I havng these internal shakes.

I saw a commercial on Estroven - they put out something where you can test yourself to see where you are with your menopause. Has anyone seen or used this yet?

Molly

Quote:
    Hi,

rmc

Old 03-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Penny,

Thanks for the response. And glad you found something that worked. I had the heartburn and nausea with the Lexapro the first night but did not have it last night so we shall see. She said to take it for 5 days and the stomach symptoms should subside but everyone's systems is different and if I cannot tolerate it I will ask for something else. So thanks for the tip on what you are taking.

rmc

Old 03-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #7
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ann123
    I am on Lexapro. The stomach side effects went away for me in about a week and it is working out fine for me now. 10 mgs a day.

HI Ann,

thank you for your input. Some of the others said they noticed weight gain. Have you? I hope that does not happen. I am on a 1/4 pill a day to start and then after 5 days have to increase to 1/2 a pill as I said. Yesterday was the 2nd time I took it, had some heartburn and took pepcid and that seemed to help but other than that it was ok. So we will see.

Do you find it helps with your anxiety? I just really wanted something to take when I was feeling anxious during my cycle so was surprised she gave me something for every day.

Thanks for your post,

rmc

Old 03-26-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

HI Cocohoney,

THank you for responding. It does sound like everyone is affected differently by different drugs and it is good you found something that works for you. How long were you taking Lexapro before you found you were gaining weight from it?

Thanks again,

rmc

Old 03-26-2004, 12:52 PM   #9
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Molly,

Thanks for writing back. I was just taking the Estroven PMS which is taken right before your period and now she has suggested the regular Estroven for everyday (think it is called Hormone Balance ) . So I just started taking it. My stomach is so sensitive that even with that I had some indigestion feeing but I did take it with food and it was not that bad. The Lexapro was better last night with little symptoms.

As for the Estroven kit that you mention I did see that advertised and would also be interested in seeing if anyone else has used it.

How much of the evening primrose do you take and also the magnesium? What are you taking the evening primrose for? I have heard it is good for irritability. Is the Magnesium in your multivitamin or do you take it alone?
    Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much though. This board is a big help to realize we are not all alone in this.

I just feel like most of the time I am in a state of feeling like I am going to get my period and it is not a great feeling as I know you all know!!

rmc

Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 PM   #10
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi again Cocohoney,

Forgot to add that I too wanted to take just natural things but it was exactly what you said, there seems to be so much out there and it was recommended taking the one drug that would do the same things. But I do not want to be on it for the long haul as you said and would rather take some other supplements if it helped. But I was just feeling so anxious and driiving myself and my loveable husband nuts too that I had to do something and if this helps I will be very happy. But I will keep the med in mind you are using as it sounds like you have had no problems with it.

rmc

Old 03-26-2004, 07:34 PM   #11
    cocohoney

cocohoney HB User

I was on Paxil for 2 months and Lexapro for 2 months before I noticed the weight gain. Now I'm on Effexor and I can't seem to lose weight but I'm not gaining either. I was told I'd lose weight from all the meds after I discontinue taking any antidepressants. Hmmm....makes me wanna quit, but I feel so wonderful. I've gone from a size 7-8 to a size 12-14 and my clothes are fitting toooooooooo tight!

Quote:
    HI Cocohoney,

THank you for responding. It does sound like everyone is affected differently by different drugs and it is good you found something that works for you. How long were you taking Lexapro before you found you were gaining weight from it?

Thanks again,

rmc

Old 03-27-2004, 10:57 AM   #12
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Molly,

How much of the evening primrose do you take and also the magnesium? What are you taking the evening primrose for? I have heard it is good for irritability. Is the Magnesium in your multivitamin or do you take it alone?
    Sorry for all the questions!! Thanks so much though. This board is a big help to realize we are not all alone in this.

I just feel like most of the time I am in a state of feeling like I am going to get my period and it is not a great feeling as I know you all know!!

rmc
    Hi rmc,
    First of all, don't worry abut asking questions. We're all here to learn and supply each other with information! Now, get ready to read this long post....

My drs. ONLY suggested the Paxil CR and the Estroven-Hormone Balance. Most of the supplements I'm taking are from several books I have read -- "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Premenopause" by Dr. John Lee; "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Dr. Christiane Northrup; and "Before the Change" by Dr. Ann Louise Gittleman. Also, on Dr. Phil's website, there's an episode about menopause symptoms. The books all say basically the same thing but I think "Before the Change" is a good book and recommend you get it becuz is easy to read and laid out easier to find out how to "zap" your symptoms.

I was experiencing these internal shakes that could easily be mistaken for anxiety, extreme debilitating fatigue, intense muscle aches, burning feet/arms, pins & needles in one foot, headaches, dizziness, dry eyes, loss of appetite. I have always been energetic and healthy, period have been irregular for couple of years already but normal flow. Don't know how old you are, but I cruised through my 40's. Feeling this way suddenly (right when I turned 50) and continuously for months really freaked me out, not to mention the stress of going to dr. to dr. Even tho the Paxil CR helped 'take the edge' off, I figure I had to help myself get through this "change of life," especially if it might last even up to 10 years ( eek!!!). I became very DETERMINED to take control back. I came to terms that I'm getting older and had to make some changes in my life, which incls. taking all these pills (ugh!)

As for the supplements, I take Evening Primrose Oil (alone) - 2 softgels (500mg) 2X/day with meals. Suppose to help with mood changes, anxiety, irritability, headaches and fluid retention. I had headaches daily for months. Now I don't.

Magnesium (alone) - I take 2 (250 mg each) 2X/day. I take 2 during the day and 2 at bedtime. According to Gittleman's book, magnesium deficiency causes nervousness, anxiety, irritabilty, muscle tremors/cramps, memory loss, concentration problems, apathy, depression, perspiration increase, body odor increase, urination increase, and constipation. Think it has helped my nervous system - no longer have those jittery internal shakes or feeling anxious. Apparently, there are different types of Magnesium out there. It gets confusing as to what to use. I have read Slo-Mag is good. No longer have the muscle problems or jittery/nervous/anxiety feeling.

I also take a multi-vitamin (AllOne powder). In addition to the multi, the Evening Primrose, and the Mag, I'm also take individually Vit E, C, B6, B12 (lozenges), zinc. In order to get the total mgs that are recommended, it comes out to lots of stuff to take, lots of bottles, lots of $$ spent. I had to lay it out on an Excel spreadsheet! Once I use up most of these, I might get the multi-vitamin and the soy shake that is talked about in the Power-Surge site, which is the only site I found that talkeda about those internal shakes I had. I'm out of Estroven but have a bottle of Black Cohosh (alone) but haven't used it yet.

I hope all this helps. I feel GREAT these days. I didn't gain any weight from the Paxil nor did I gain back any of the weight I lost when I had low appetite. However, I am walking and using light weights. I am so happy to feel like myself again - able to concentrate on my work, go shopping without freaking out!

If you feel like you're going to get your period and don't get it, you are still having jumping hormones. I don't feel anything anymore and haven't had a period for almost 5 mos. - think my hormones finally found its way home again.

Whatever supplements you take, stay with it. You don't necessarily notice a difference right away. Keep us posted as to how you're doing!

Take care,
    Molly

Old 03-29-2004, 10:45 AM   #13
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Molly,

Thank you so much for your post and the info. I have been reading a lot about Gittleman's book and I also saw on Dr. Phil's website the Peri-zapper info. But knowing firsthand from someone too what helps them, really does help and so I thank you for going thru each thing you take.

I did not do well with the Lexapro at all. It made me very nauseated and with heartburn which I never get. I took it for 4 days and I still don't think my stomach is right. I already have a sensitive stomach so I do not tolerate some things and guess this was one of them. I stopped taking it and since I am seeing my primary care physician today I will ask him for another suggestion. (my gyn gave me the Lexapro).

I am going to the primary care doctor today as a followup on my back problem and have had this appt for awhile but now I will discuss other things too and hopefully I will feel better in doing so and get some advice.

I have irritable bowel as I probably mentioned and since my back problem involves the hip and pelvis and the muscles there are so close to the intestines it really all aggravates the other. I need to relax more about the twinges I feel but I find it hard to do so and I am not at all myself. I am hoping that some of the supplements will help me.

Do you ever get nightsweats by the way? I don't get them often but got a doozy last night and my heart was really racing it seemed with it and of course I stressed and made it worse. I must sound like a basketcase I know!!

Thanks for listening and I will let you know how the appt goes. Thanks for the info on the supplements, it is a great help.

rmc

Old 03-29-2004, 10:53 AM   #14
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi again Molly,

You said you cruised thru your 40s and then started having a lot of symptoms as you turned 50 and forgot to say , yes I am 49 and will be 50 in a couple weeks. Pretty much as you put it Cruised thru the 40s with just some minor perimenopause symtpoms, like time between periods getting shorter and also a few longer ones but nothing major. Seem to be making up for it all now!!

rmc

Old 03-29-2004, 11:42 AM   #15
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Hi Molly,

Thank you so much for your post and the info. I have been reading a lot about Gittleman's book and I also saw on Dr. Phil's website the Peri-zapper info. But knowing firsthand from someone too what helps them, really does help and so I thank you for going thru each thing you take.

I did not do well with the Lexapro at all. It made me very nauseated and with heartburn which I never get. I took it for 4 days and I still don't think my stomach is right. I already have a sensitive stomach so I do not tolerate some things and guess this was one of them. I stopped taking it and since I am seeing my primary care physician today I will ask him for another suggestion. (my gyn gave me the Lexapro).

I am going to the primary care doctor today as a followup on my back problem and have had this appt for awhile but now I will discuss other things too and hopefully I will feel better in doing so and get some advice.

I have irritable bowel as I probably mentioned and since my back problem involves the hip and pelvis and the muscles there are so close to the intestines it really all aggravates the other. I need to relax more about the twinges I feel but I find it hard to do so and I am not at all myself. I am hoping that some of the supplements will help me.

Do you ever get nightsweats by the way? I don't get them often but got a doozy last night and my heart was really racing it seemed with it and of course I stressed and made it worse. I must sound like a basketcase I know!!

Thanks for listening and I will let you know how the appt goes. Thanks for the info on the supplements, it is a great help.

rmc
    Hi rmc,
    Yes, I do get nightsweats as well as daysweats! I will suddenly feel this hot flush (especially in the face). I don't turn beet red like some women do and it only a few minutes, which is tolerable. It comes/goes no more than 2-3 times a day maybe. I rarely sleep with blankets anymore. Just a bedsheet b/c I'll get too hot and toss them aside anyway. My bedroom is like a refrigerator!! LOL! Months ago when I was at my worse, I used to wake up, jump up in a state of panic, and be really sweaty. I would have these intense internal jittery shakes along with it too. Would totally freak me out! I have been drinking Revial Soy in hopes that it will help rid of them and keep my other symptoms from coming back. According to the testimony of others, it is suppose to help. By the way, it is ok if you're a basketcase. I think it is normal for women who are going thru this transition to be this way. I was a basketcase too - I dwelled and vented so much on how awful I was feeling that I was practically telling everyone and anyone (my boss, co-workers, friends, neighbors, the neighbor's dogs ) on how I was feeling. LOL! I had no shame whatsoever! I was self-diagnosing myself with every possible disease - drove my sister drive!!

How horrible to have Irritable Bowel and back problems! Must be very debilitating! Did you have these for a long time or did they come on suddenly as part of peri-meno? What other symptoms do you have? I do notice that I am more achy these days too, even tho I do stretches daily. It's old age, I guess.

I think if you follow some of the zappers suggested in Gittleman's book, it will help. It is worth the try.

Molly

Closed Thread