It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board

  • Calcium supplement

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 03-31-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 1,061
    Belle2003 HB User
    Calcium supplement

    I recently went for my annual exam and the resident doctor said that I needed to take calcium supplements even though I drink a lot of milk and each yogurt every day. (I am perimenopausal) The trouble is that when I have taken calcium supplements before I ended up with bad side affects. I had continuous bloating and abdominal pain and I went to the doctor who ran tests, only to find out it was the calcium supplement.

    After hearing this the resident doctor then suggested that I take Tums every day. My husband does not like the idea of me taking Tums. I don't mind they taste pretty good! Does anyone know of a good calcium supplement that did not have any side affects? ( My husband is afraid of me taking antacids daily.)

    Thank you for your help!

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 03-31-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    nornie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 365
    nornie HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belle2003
    I recently went for my annual exam and the resident doctor said that I needed to take calcium supplements even though I drink a lot of milk and each yogurt every day. (I am perimenopausal) The trouble is that when I have taken calcium supplements before I ended up with bad side affects. I had continuous bloating and abdominal pain and I went to the doctor who ran tests, only to find out it was the calcium supplement.

    After hearing this the resident doctor then suggested that I take Tums every day. My husband does not like the idea of me taking Tums. I don't mind they taste pretty good! Does anyone know of a good calcium supplement that did not have any side affects? ( My husband is afraid of me taking antacids daily.)

    Thank you for your help!
    Do you recall what specific type of supplements you were taking? Was it calcium carbonate or calcium citrate? It may be that only one of them is giving you the problems and you'd be okay with the other.

    I'm also almost positive I once saw in the store Calcium Tums or something similarly named. They were basically tums minus the antacid part. Have you had problems taking tums in the past? I guess I'm just not sure how to advise you without knowing more about what particular aspect of the calcium supplement was giving you the bloating.

    I take calcium citrate pills and chewable caltrate (which tastes just like tums!)

    Nornie

     
    Old 03-31-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 1,153
    molly123 HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belle2003
    I recently went for my annual exam and the resident doctor said that I needed to take calcium supplements even though I drink a lot of milk and each yogurt every day. (I am perimenopausal) The trouble is that when I have taken calcium supplements before I ended up with bad side affects. I had continuous bloating and abdominal pain and I went to the doctor who ran tests, only to find out it was the calcium supplement.

    After hearing this the resident doctor then suggested that I take Tums every day. My husband does not like the idea of me taking Tums. I don't mind they taste pretty good! Does anyone know of a good calcium supplement that did not have any side affects? ( My husband is afraid of me taking antacids daily.)

    Thank you for your help!
    Hi Belle,
    How much did your dr. say that you have to take? My GYN said I should be taking 1500mg a day! I am taking Oscal chewables now. AdvCal by Lane Labs was recommended by another poster here. I will give it a try once I finish the Oscal. There are different types of Calcium - such as calcium carbonate and calcium citrate - but I don't know what the differences are and why it matters (absorption maybe?).

    Molly

     
    Old 03-31-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 1,061
    Belle2003 HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    I do not remember what kind of calcium I was taking, just that it contained magnesium too. It was about three years ago. I took it for a month or two before I started noticing the bloating. It was gradual and then came the sharp pains that progressly got worse. Since the side affects took awhile to appear I did not relate it at all to the calcium. When the ultrasound technician suggested it could be the calcium, I went right off of it. It took a week or two for the bloating and pain to subside. I have never taken calcium since.

    At my visit the doctor told me to take 750 mg of calcium or one Tums. Then when I hit menopause I should take 1500 mg of calcium or two Tums.

    I will try to find the Tums without the antacid, or I will look into the Citrical.
    I had no idea they sold Tums without the added stuff.

    Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

     
    Old 04-01-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    nornie's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Posts: 365
    nornie HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    Hi Belle,
    How much did your dr. say that you have to take? My GYN said I should be taking 1500mg a day! I am taking Oscal chewables now. AdvCal by Lane Labs was recommended by another poster here. I will give it a try once I finish the Oscal. There are different types of Calcium - such as calcium carbonate and calcium citrate - but I don't know what the differences are and why it matters (absorption maybe?).

    Molly
    Yes, I recently asked exactly that question about citrate vs carbonate on this board because I didn't know which to buy. The answer is that calcium citrate is better absorbed, so you get more calcium out of each tablet. However most citrate is more expensive than the carbonate. So what I do is take one calcium citrate pill, and then 2 chewable carbonates. I was also told that carbonate is better absorbed if you take it with some sort of acidy stuff like orange juice.

    Oh, the other important thing I learned is to make sure the calcium supplement also contains vitamin D as that also assists with absorption.

    Nornie

     
    Old 04-01-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
    cloverberry
    Registered User
     
    Join Date: Apr 2003
    Location: US
    Posts: 406
    cloverberry HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    I keep reading during menopause we need around 1300 mgs per day. If the things you eat and drink total 1300 mgs I wouldn't worry about taking any suppliments.

     
    Old 04-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
    kc1216
    Veteran
     
    kc1216's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Location: CT
    Posts: 433
    kc1216 HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    could it be that you are lactose intolerant? Sounds like the exact same symptoms my neice has and she is lactose interolerant. I take Prelief - same people who make Beano. I think there is magnesium in it though and you said you took something with that in it already.

    Feel well soon,
    KC

     
    Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #8
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 1,061
    Belle2003 HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    No I am not lactose intolerant. I have cereal with milk everyday along with glasses of milk at dinner. I have never had a problem until I took calcium pills with magnesium. When I stopped, after a week or so the bloating and pain went away. Meanwhile I was still drinking milk, and eatting cheese and ice cream.

     
    Old 04-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ainfante's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Chicago, Illinois
    Posts: 2,125
    ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belle2003
    I do not remember what kind of calcium I was taking, just that it contained magnesium too. It was about three years ago. I took it for a month or two before I started noticing the bloating. It was gradual and then came the sharp pains that progressly got worse. Since the side affects took awhile to appear I did not relate it at all to the calcium. When the ultrasound technician suggested it could be the calcium, I went right off of it. It took a week or two for the bloating and pain to subside. I have never taken calcium since.

    At my visit the doctor told me to take 750 mg of calcium or one Tums. Then when I hit menopause I should take 1500 mg of calcium or two Tums.

    I will try to find the Tums without the antacid, or I will look into the Citrical.
    I had no idea they sold Tums without the added stuff.

    Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
    I read that you should not take calcium and magnesium together. In other words, take calcium in the morning and magnesium at night. They do not sit well together and both together will not absorb properly. Hope this helps. It's in the book, "Before the Change".

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    calcium and magnesium betsy1716 Osteoporosis 5 10-05-2007 02:31 PM
    CCM Calcium (Citrate and Malate) any opinions? dianegirl Vitamins & Supplements 4 02-15-2007 07:07 PM
    Calcium supplements? davidmccracken Vitamins & Supplements 6 02-08-2005 08:39 PM
    How much Calcium is safe to take? Mission_Void Arthritis 10 04-13-2004 11:25 PM
    How much Calcium is too much? Mission_Void Diet & Nutrition 5 02-18-2004 07:08 AM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:12 PM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!