It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Calcium supplement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-31-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User
    Calcium supplement

I recently went for my annual exam and the resident doctor said that I needed to take calcium supplements even though I drink a lot of milk and each yogurt every day. (I am perimenopausal) The trouble is that when I have taken calcium supplements before I ended up with bad side affects. I had continuous bloating and abdominal pain and I went to the doctor who ran tests, only to find out it was the calcium supplement.

After hearing this the resident doctor then suggested that I take Tums every day. My husband does not like the idea of me taking Tums. I don't mind they taste pretty good! Does anyone know of a good calcium supplement that did not have any side affects? ( My husband is afraid of me taking antacids daily.)

Thank you for your help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2004, 07:32 PM   #2
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)

nornie HB User
    Re: Calcium supplement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Belle2003
    I recently went for my annual exam and the resident doctor said that I needed to take calcium supplements even though I drink a lot of milk and each yogurt every day. (I am perimenopausal) The trouble is that when I have taken calcium supplements before I ended up with bad side affects. I had continuous bloating and abdominal pain and I went to the doctor who ran tests, only to find out it was the calcium supplement.

After hearing this the resident doctor then suggested that I take Tums every day. My husband does not like the idea of me taking Tums. I don't mind they taste pretty good! Does anyone know of a good calcium supplement that did not have any side affects? ( My husband is afraid of me taking antacids daily.)

Thank you for your help!
    Do you recall what specific type of supplements you were taking? Was it calcium carbonate or calcium citrate? It may be that only one of them is giving you the problems and you'd be okay with the other.

I'm also almost positive I once saw in the store Calcium Tums or something similarly named. They were basically tums minus the antacid part. Have you had problems taking tums in the past? I guess I'm just not sure how to advise you without knowing more about what particular aspect of the calcium supplement was giving you the bloating.

I take calcium citrate pills and chewable caltrate (which tastes just like tums!)

Nornie

Old 03-31-2004, 09:57 PM   #3
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:

Thank you for your help!
    Hi Belle,
    How much did your dr. say that you have to take? My GYN said I should be taking 1500mg a day! I am taking Oscal chewables now. AdvCal by Lane Labs was recommended by another poster here. I will give it a try once I finish the Oscal. There are different types of Calcium - such as calcium carbonate and calcium citrate - but I don't know what the differences are and why it matters (absorption maybe?).

Molly

Old 03-31-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

I do not remember what kind of calcium I was taking, just that it contained magnesium too. It was about three years ago. I took it for a month or two before I started noticing the bloating. It was gradual and then came the sharp pains that progressly got worse. Since the side affects took awhile to appear I did not relate it at all to the calcium. When the ultrasound technician suggested it could be the calcium, I went right off of it. It took a week or two for the bloating and pain to subside. I have never taken calcium since.

At my visit the doctor told me to take 750 mg of calcium or one Tums. Then when I hit menopause I should take 1500 mg of calcium or two Tums.

I will try to find the Tums without the antacid, or I will look into the Citrical.
    I had no idea they sold Tums without the added stuff.

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:15 AM   #5
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)

nornie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    Hi Belle,
    How much did your dr. say that you have to take? My GYN said I should be taking 1500mg a day! I am taking Oscal chewables now. AdvCal by Lane Labs was recommended by another poster here. I will give it a try once I finish the Oscal. There are different types of Calcium - such as calcium carbonate and calcium citrate - but I don't know what the differences are and why it matters (absorption maybe?).

Molly
    Yes, I recently asked exactly that question about citrate vs carbonate on this board because I didn't know which to buy. The answer is that calcium citrate is better absorbed, so you get more calcium out of each tablet. However most citrate is more expensive than the carbonate. So what I do is take one calcium citrate pill, and then 2 chewable carbonates. I was also told that carbonate is better absorbed if you take it with some sort of acidy stuff like orange juice.

Oh, the other important thing I learned is to make sure the calcium supplement also contains vitamin D as that also assists with absorption.

Nornie

Old 04-01-2004, 12:19 PM   #6
    cloverberry

cloverberry HB User

I keep reading during menopause we need around 1300 mgs per day. If the things you eat and drink total 1300 mgs I wouldn't worry about taking any suppliments.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
    kc1216
    Veteran

kc1216 HB User

could it be that you are lactose intolerant? Sounds like the exact same symptoms my neice has and she is lactose interolerant. I take Prelief - same people who make Beano. I think there is magnesium in it though and you said you took something with that in it already.

Feel well soon,
    KC

Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #8
    Belle2003
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belle2003 HB User

No I am not lactose intolerant. I have cereal with milk everyday along with glasses of milk at dinner. I have never had a problem until I took calcium pills with magnesium. When I stopped, after a week or so the bloating and pain went away. Meanwhile I was still drinking milk, and eatting cheese and ice cream.

Old 04-17-2004, 08:33 AM   #9
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    I do not remember what kind of calcium I was taking, just that it contained magnesium too. It was about three years ago. I took it for a month or two before I started noticing the bloating. It was gradual and then came the sharp pains that progressly got worse. Since the side affects took awhile to appear I did not relate it at all to the calcium. When the ultrasound technician suggested it could be the calcium, I went right off of it. It took a week or two for the bloating and pain to subside. I have never taken calcium since.

At my visit the doctor told me to take 750 mg of calcium or one Tums. Then when I hit menopause I should take 1500 mg of calcium or two Tums.

I will try to find the Tums without the antacid, or I will look into the Citrical.
    I had no idea they sold Tums without the added stuff.

Thank you for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.
    I read that you should not take calcium and magnesium together. In other words, take calcium in the morning and magnesium at night. They do not sit well together and both together will not absorb properly. Hope this helps. It's in the book, "Before the Change".

Closed Thread