It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Any experience with Valium or Xanax?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Any experience with Valium or Xanax?

Hi,

I have taken Valium for a chronic back problem I have as it was given for a muscle relaxant. I only took it during that period of time when my back went "out" last June so I have a lot left. Xanax I have taken only when we fly as I am a nervous flyer so I take that maybe twice a year when we go on a trip.

My perimenopause anxiety has been really a problem this past month and so I have taken the Valium a couple times to relax and it has worked well. I have posted about what my symtpoms are so I won't go into great detail but I get anxiety about twinges in my abdomen area which are connected to my back problem and also Irritable Bowe, some night sweats due to the perimenopause and also my periods are much shorter, every 21-23 days so I feel like I am always going to be getting it, like a longer period of Midcylce feelings. I have been both to my gyn and doctor and the gyn prescribed Lexapro for anxiety which from another post I wrote you know did not work for me. (i did not tolerate it well stomach wise. I know they say after 4-5 days it gets better with the nausea and the indigestion but it really made me more anxious just putting up with those symtpoms)

My primary care doctor suggested going off the Lexapro which I did after the 5 days anyway and taking Xanax to relieve anxiety, taken 3 times a week. The gyn also said this was a good idea and then when my anxiety was less I can try the Lexapro down the road if I wanted to again (which I am not anxious to do obviously!!)

My question is does anyone take Valium or Xanax for anxiety? I understand they are in the same family but to me I think the Valium works better for some reason. Although the Xanax for sure makes one relaxed and sleepy. I cannot take either exept at night certainly. I also know that neither can be taken long term due to the addictive nature of them from what I hear, as far as if one was taking them every day for a long time.

But I was just curious what others thought who are perhaps taking either or have taken both at different times and the differences they have noticed.

Thanks,

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #2
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User
    Re: Any experience with Valium or Xanax?

I tooked Valium when I had surgery a couple of years ago. I didn't feel high off of it because it was working to take the pain away.

I had some left over and on a Stressful day I tooked one of my Valiums to relax me. Well, I loved it because I wasn't in pain...Just needed to chill.
    I loved the feeling it gave me, but I also knew it was not something to mess with because Valium is addicting and I didn't want to become addicted to drugs of any kind.

I love Xanax too! and I too take it for Flying and was also given some for my
    anxiety & panic attacks. But the doctor only gave me 6 pills to calm me down while also giving me Paxil which takes 4 to 6 weeks to set in to your body. Xanax I am told is also addicting. DAMN, because yes, Valium and Xanax work quickly and take the edge off within minutes.
    I also liked the HIGH feeling it gave me. Which is scary too because I could become really addicted to either drug.
    I do not take neither of these anymore it was for a very very short period.

When I fly again, I will be getting my Xanax and will enjoy my trip both flying and well my high for that moment.

As for Paxil, it has helped me in the long run with my perimenopause anxiety.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

I am a Xanax addict. I admit it. I take one and a half a night. I take it for sleep (at least that is what I tell myself). I used to take eight a day. I weaned myself down to this amount. It is highly addictive. I have been on it for about eleven years. I have going to do the switch Xanax to Valium deal as soon as my doc gets back from vacation. There is a manual for getting off of benzos but I can't think of the name of it right now. Read it before becoming addicted.

Valium gets you high, Xanax shouldn't.

Why start?

Set them aside and find an alternative.

Xanax is a very incidious drug, it is worse than heroin.

I had a senior monent, it is the Ashton Manual.

Read it and then think about whether or not benzos are right for you.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:14 PM   #4
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi to all of you that responded,

And Thanks!! I know, I am concerned too about the addictive quality of Xanax and also Valium. I have taken Xanax when I fly as I may have said but that is only once or twice a year.

The doctor did say for the anxiety I am now experiencing I can take it two or three times a week and I took it once so far this week. I did take a valium on Mon before he prescribed the Xanax and as I said it to me is more muscle relaxing. But I will switch I guess to the Xanax for those times I need it and be careful. I wish I did not have to take anything but I just cannot seem to get my anxiety down about every little perimenopausal twinge!!

Thanks for you input and good thoughts,

rmc

Old 04-03-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
    girlgato
    (female)

girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User

I've tried both for my anxiety. I have to admit that the Valium works better for me. Take .25 mg. and it just takes the edge off. Found that Xanax made me very groggy and sleepy. Didn't like it.

Old 04-07-2004, 08:41 AM   #6
    Shibboleth

Shibboleth HB User

Hey folks,
    I just wanna say to be careful about following "manuals" and stuff on line. I am aware of the one in which was referred to here....
    Xanax is VERY addicitive, I agree, but the more you make a "thing" out of getting off from it, the more anxious you're going to get. Those boards as well as many others are filled with alarmists who project their own experiences onto others and often have them believing that this is the only outcome for everyone else. Also remember that many people taking those drugs have mental problems and you don't have a clue who they are. (Take this please from someone who knows what she's talking about) Just do as your doctor instructs you to do getting off benzos or otherwise and if you think it's too fast, tell him/her and slow down a bit. DON"T fall into the trap of trying to be too comfortable with withdrawals and thereby "slowing" down the process too much with talk from others about ridiculously drawn out w/d schedules that serve to do nothing but frighten and traumatise you. They might bring up phrases like "protracted withdrawals" and so on to scare you into doing what they think you should do. This is a phenomena that can sometimes occur when a person who has been taking powerful controlled substances for a long time just suddenly quits taking them....not a good plan....Other than that....if you carefully and deliberately make up your mind to get off of something, you'll be fine. I'm warning you. Do NOT get caught up too much in message boards as a means in which to get medical advice.
    As for the "valium switch", be weary of that too....listen to your DOCTOR. They may not understand everything you're going thru, but you'll go farther working with a professional and using your own instincts rather than taking the advice of strangers on line.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 AM   #7
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Shibboleth,

There is a manual called, The Ashton Manual, which you can find and read on line or buy that explains benzos. There are a lot of us who have been on Xanax for years and know about the withdrawls and how bad they can be. I speak from experience. That manual is basically saving my life and my marraige. I have tried everything else to get off of the drug. It was more enticing to me than heroin or cocaine.

I serriously think that Ms.Ashton knows what she is talking about.

As for the switch to Valuim, what other safe alternatives are there.

This book is working for everyone that I know who have become addicted to Xanax. The doc should tell a person right up front what an incidious drug it is.

just my two cents,

Old 04-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #8
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Shibboleth,

Thank you for your input. You are certainly right that everyone has different issues and also different reasons for taking a medication and I agree that one needs to listen to their doctor first and foremost and go from there.

it is always good to get input from those that use the same meds but I also take into account at the same time that my usage may be different as I am not taking it every day. As I said I was taken Xanax only when we go on vacations which at most is about 3 times a year and mostly 2 times a year when we fly. And it does help with my fear of flying as far as helping with anxiety.

Now this new development of me being so anxious during perimenopause with every little twinge has come up and my gyn suggested Lexapro a few weeks ago which is an antidepressant/antianxiety drug and I could not get past 4 days of the nausea and the indigestion discomfort which she warned me about but said it would pass if I could get past those first few days. I do know some swear by it and it works well for them but for me I did not adjust well to it. And I immediately discussed it with my doctor. This is when they suggested the Xanax just for times of anxiety and not as a regime daily for me.

I do believe that it is good to get support online from others (along with first of all and most importantly, those that you know and love that are in your life of course) but yes, it is always best to discuss issues and questions with your doctor.

The boards to me are a sounding board for what we are all going thru and a means to know that others are going thru similiar situations at this time of life or with whatever situation they are in. Sometimes it helps to just know others are feeling the same way and I think that is what most people get from the boards.

I found your post very helpful as I am sure others did too, thanks so much.

rmc

Old 04-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #9
    boomar

boomar HB User

I'm been taking .50 mg xanax for several years, I take one in the morning and 1/2 at night. My dr. says at that dose it's perfectly safe and it really seems to help with anxiety.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:11 AM   #10
    LIND
    (female)

LIND HB User

Hi Everyone,

I have been taking xanax at night to sleep for the past 1 1/2 yrs. I have always had trouble sleeping until I went on xanax. I am prone to panic attacks when trying to sleep. Since I take the xanax I have no trouble going to sleep at night. I think if medication is used the right way for the right reason it could be a miracle drug for some people. My husband tells me "you don't need a pill to make you sleep", sure his head hits the pillow and he is out like a light. I wish I could do that but, we are all different. So I take a pill to get a good nights sleep and to relax; is that so bad? I also take it when I fly so I can live my life. I just wanted to give some input. I don't think that makes me addicted to it but if it does, so be it, as long as I get my sleep.

LIND

Old 04-09-2004, 09:20 AM   #11
    kellie2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kellie2 HB User

Shibboleth makes the most sense of anyone and I agree. When I was first diagnosed with asthma two years ago, I was in such a state with not being able to breathe and being so scared that my doctor (pulmonologist) put me on Xanax for a short period of time. Please note though, that I was contributing to my own asthma symptoms from the anxiety I was experiencing and the Xanax in addition to Advair is what finally got it under control. The first thing I asked him was, 'Is it addictive?' and he looked at me and said, 'Yes, but not for someone like you'. You see, you can abuse pretty much anything - drugs, drink, etc etc - but the addictive properties come about if you're what they call an 'addictive personality', meaning you can get hooked on just about anything (case in point is the number of people on here who have said how much they 'love' how they feel when they take it). I'm not like that - I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't do anything like that - so the risk of me getting addicted to Xanax was pretty low....I'm not 'wired' that way. But unfortunately many people are, simply because most people who are put on these medications in the first place have some issues that need to be controlled, whether it's a mental condition as Shibboleth said, or just anxiety. Mine was for asthma and even though I did take it once or twice a day for about a month until the breathing was under control, I had NO problems stopping it. Someone who says they love how it makes them feel - that's an addictive personailty. Someone who thinks she can't live one day without it - that's an addictive personality. Now, I'm not saying that a perfectly healthy person can't get hooked if she set her mind to it, but I'm saying pretty much what Shibboleth said - most people who take these medications have some issues anyway, which is why they're taking it, and based on their personality and problems, they would have more of a tendency to get addicted.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:25 AM   #12
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Kellie:

I don't have an addictive personality and my doc was really upfront about benzos. I read everything that I could about them before starting.

I have read the Ashton Manual also.

They are addictive, no matter if you have an addictive personality or not. You must be an anomoly.

I am not here to be argumentative, but I would hate to think that someone would read that post and think that they are not going to get addictive. My doc told me that it is one of the most incidious drugs out there right now, worse than opiates.

Xanax never got me high. But, I did get hooked. Ten years now.

Old 04-09-2004, 01:34 PM   #13
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User

I have taken valium for back pain and it did wonders to get me through with methadone until I had my back surgery. I was on 300mg of effexor for depression. When I started to lower the dose of effexor I started having problems with anxiety. I am also trying to go off an antiphycotic. Between the two drugs I started having major problems with anxiety attacks. So we raised the effexor back up a little bit and put me on xanax 1mg 2x a day. It does wonders to help me get through the anxiety attacks. However, my dr never mentioned at all the fact that this was an addictive drug. That makes me mad. However, I don't think it changes anything because I need it to get through getting offf of 2 meds. Then I will worry about getting off the xanax.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:36 PM   #14
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karla
    I have taken valium for back pain and it did wonders to get me through with methadone until I had my back surgery. I was on 300mg of effexor for depression. When I started to lower the dose of effexor I started having problems with anxiety. I am also trying to go off an antiphycotic. Between the two drugs I started having major problems with anxiety attacks. So we raised the effexor back up a little bit and put me on xanax 1mg 2x a day. It does wonders to help me get through the anxiety attacks. However, my dr never mentioned at all the fact that this was an addictive drug. That makes me mad. However, I don't think it changes anything because I need it to get through getting offf of 2 meds. Then I will worry about getting off the xanax.
    Karla: I used to say that I was clean until someone pointed out to me that I wasn't. Even though I wasn't using street drugs I was addicted to Xanax. It is hard to go to NA and say that, but there are a lot of us.

Is that an antipsychotic that you are trying to get off of? Doesn't your signature indicate that you need them?

You are going to find that benzo's are the hardest to get off of. No doctor should have prescribed them for you knowing that you were trying to stay clean.

But, maybe you need them. Maybe you should stay on all of your meds. Why are you trying to get off? Some people really do need the meds.

Old 04-14-2004, 02:07 PM   #15
    kc1216
    Veteran

kc1216 HB User

I use xanax now - it's amazing - I am just about out of it (don't take it every day - only when I need to) and now the dr. won't give me anymore. I don't get messed up on it - just takes the edge off the crummy bloated, cranky feeling - I feel like I have PMS every day. Waiting for my bloodwork to come back - hopefully tomorrow.

But get this - the dr. prescribed me Ambien so I can sleep at night - that stuff to me seemed MUCH stronger! I need something during the daytime when everything gets on my nerves - not night time when I'm unconcious!

So I went on the internet and ordered it. My insurance didn't pay for it but I need it for those bad days. I don't want to take a mood pill every day. I tried the Paxil and it made me paranoid.

KC

Closed Thread