It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Help! Think it m/pause but dr. says depression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2004, 10:07 AM   #1
    girlgato
    (female)

girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User
    Help! Think it m/pause but dr. says depression

I am new to this part of the board and have been suffering with what I think is perimenopause but my doctor is saying otherwise. Have been reading on the subject and have some of the symptoms. Here's what's been going on.......

Am 46 yrs. old. Been having night sweats now for about 4 years. Hot flashes have just started over the last few months. Periods are now short (2-3 days) and are coming every 3 weeks. Very very weepy these days. The slightest little thing whether something good or sad, sets me off on a crying spell. I've got this tight feeling in my throat that eventually leaves me in a gagging fit. My nights are restless sleeps. DON'T I SOUND LIKE A MESS???

Ladies, I'm just so frustrated right now....oh, no, here come the tears again.
    Been going to the doctor and he's put me on antidepressants and valium for the anxiety. I've tried to explain that I think its more....but, he says, you're too young. Yesterday went for my physical, and the dr. says, "well maybe a bit of perimenop. and depression". Says to UP my medication dosage even though my reactions have been awful on it (been on tricyclic for one month) and feel weak, dizzy.....and, most of all, it has done NOTHING for me.

Please, please, any thoughts on this will be appreciated. Have just made an appt. to see a naturopathic doctor in 3 wks. In the meantime, the days are just SOOOO long and a struggle to get thru (I also work full time). My poor hubby has been very supportive, but I feel so bad that he has to see me like this - such a different person that I used to be.

Your replies would be greatly appreciated. Also, any books, etc. that I can read? I have one about Wisdom of Menopause.

Oh, and by the way, I eat well (lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains). Try to exercise every day (mostly nice long walks), take daily vitamin, flaxseed oil, calcium/magnesium, now evening primrose oil. Yoga has not worked to ease the anxious feelings.

Just thought perhaps someone is going thru something similar....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    Re: Help! Think it m/pause but dr. says depression

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by girlgato
    I am new to this part of the board and have been suffering with what I think is perimenopause but my doctor is saying otherwise.
    Hi Girlgato and welcome!
    I say you're going through perimeno and if you're depressed in any way, it is b/c you're sick and tired of not feeling right. You are not insane or clincially depressed. That's the way I felt last Aug. when I couldn't figure out why I suddenly didn't feel right. After going from dr. to dr., which was stressful and having all these tests done (all came back neg), my dr. finally said it was "possible" that it was meno related (duh! I am 50 yo!)

Quote:
    Am 46 yrs. old. Been having night sweats now for about 4 years. Hot flashes have just started over the last few months. Periods are now short (2-3 days) and are coming every 3 weeks. Very very weepy these days. The slightest little thing whether something good or sad, sets me off on a crying spell. I've got this tight feeling in my throat that eventually leaves me in a gagging fit. My nights are restless sleeps. DON'T I SOUND LIKE A MESS???
    You are not any more of a mess than the rest of us! Join the club! A woman can start experiencing peri as early as 35 yo even! I started experiencing "irregular" periods couple of yrs ago, but I didn't start having the night sweats and occasional hot flashes (sweaty feeling) until these past couple of months (turned 50). In my case, the sweats/flashes are pretty mild in comparison to others. Insomnia is another symptom of peri. Had that for years but never made the connection. Drs. seem to only connect the famous hot flash to menopause. If you have "other" symptoms, they don't think there's a correlation.

Quote:
    Ladies, I'm just so frustrated right now....oh, no, here come the tears again. Been going to the doctor and he's put me on antidepressants and valium for the anxiety. I've tried to explain that I think its more....but, he says, you're too young. Yesterday went for my physical, and the dr. says, "well maybe a bit of perimenop. and depression". Says to UP my medication dosage even though my reactions have been awful on it (been on tricyclic for one month) and feel weak, dizzy.....and, most of all, it has done NOTHING for me.
    I can feel your emotions even from just your words! I know how frustrated you are feeling!! What kind of anti-depressant did he give you? I thought Valium is also an anti-depressant too. I really don't think your dr. should have "up" your meds esp. if you're having a bad reaction. IMO, he should start you at a low dose and see how you react first. And if you're having a lot of side effects, you should stop and maybe try something else.

I was first prescribed Wellbutrin XL. I felt dizzy, weird, like a robot. It made me feel worse. I would take it in the morning and I noticed that by evening or about the 12th/14th hour, I would always kinda feel better (not normal, just not as weird). I decided to stop taking it on my own after 9 days (on a weekend so the dr. wasn't around for me to tell). Instead, I continued to take my anti-anxiety med (.5 mg of Ativan). I was very concerned about being addicted to it, plus it made me even more tired. At that time, I had 24/7 extreme fatigue, no appetite, internal shakes, weak jely legs, dizziness, headaches, this intense sensation running thru my body at night. I had no motivation to do anything. No energy to clean house or work, would freak out whenever I'm in a store.

Finally, my sister who works for a detox center told this woman dr. about all my symptoms and it was this stranger of a dr. suggested I go on the Paxil CR. Said I shouldn't be taking an anti-anxiety pill b/c it was addicting and it would not work if I have a real anxiety attack. This woman dr. said she experienced similar symptoms which was a relief to me b/c I thought I was the only one. Anyway, asked my dr. for it even tho I was really scared to take it. He put me Paxil CR 12.5 mg (lowest) and it helped immediately. I can literally feel this "edge" being lifted the very first time I took it. I didn't have to take an anxiety pill while I was on the Paxil. The Paxil is suppose to help anxiety as wel las premeno symptoms. Now that I think about it, the "internal shakes" that I had were probably not anxiety afterall. I found later on the Internet that there are lots of others who have the same symptom...it is a nervous system thing caused usually from lack of magnesium.

Quote:
    Your replies would be greatly appreciated. Also, any books, etc. that I can read? I have one about Wisdom of Menopause.
    Another good book is "Before the Change" by Gittleman. She was on the Dr. Phil show. There are several of us on this board who are using her "peri-zappers" and they all seem to be helping.

Quote:
    Oh, and by the way, I eat well (lots of veggies, fruits, whole grains). Try to exercise every day (mostly nice long walks), take daily vitamin, flaxseed oil, calcium/magnesium, now evening primrose oil. Yoga has not worked to ease the anxious feelings.
    You are doing lots of the right stuff that has been suggested in the books. I have been feeling fine since Jan. (I was put on the Paxil CR in Dec. - will probably start weaning off of it next month) and am also taking lots of vits/supplements too. I drink Revival soy shakes daily which is suppose to help too. Try to do some kind of aerobic exercise - Walk Away the Pounds is a easy but fast pace enough so it is kind of aerboic. It takes your mind off of how you feel and helps you if you're feeling anxiety. It has helped me and it does tone you up. I am going to try the Windsor Pilates for variety. I have couple of yoga tapes and am learning to meditate. If you start feelign anxious, close your eyes and take deep breaths and don't think about how you are feeling, relax (I know, easy to say!). Don't wait for drs. to help you figure all this out. You have to research, read, and learn from other women.

Quote:
    Just thought perhaps someone is going thru something similar....
    You've come to the right place! Try not to worry - you are NOT alone, it is peri-meno related, be thankful and grateful it's not life threatening and even tho all of us are different and have different symptoms, I was told it is only temporary and it will pass (even tho it can last a long time)! Accepting that it's peri-meno also helps!

Molly

Old 04-04-2004, 07:17 AM   #3
    bobana10

bobana10 HB User

Dear Girlgato, Either you have been reading my diary for the past oh 15 years or it sounds like you are expeirenceing the same thing millions of woman are now and have experienced since the dawn of woman. I agree with Molly, It sounds like peri-menopause to me too. It was suggested that I read the book By, Ann Lousie Gittleman " Before The Change" thank goodnes I did, or I would have been still in the dark about this faze of my life. I am soon to be 42 and have experienced all you have just wrote about and then some. I had Dr.'s say loose 10lb's you'll feel like a new woman that was when I only weighed in at 110 to 120. I had a disabiling spinal injury over 7 years ago that prevents me from doing normal aerobic exercise but through trial and error I found the gazel to work great, and I take the peri-zappers that Ann suggest's in her book. I feel like a new woman all ready and it has only been just a little over 2 weeks that I have started taking the peri-zappers. My doc also put me on Wellbutrin XL 300 mg daily I have had no ill effects, and my hubby taked paxil and is doing great but I WILL be going off the Wellbutrin very soon, because I feel it was the peri-menopause that caused all the symptoms, I have never had a doc discuss peri-meno or anything such as this, I also am buying several several doc's a copy of the book to help do a little re-educating , whether they read it or not is yet to be seen Welcome to the meno board. Sincerely Dana

Old 04-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
    girlgato
    (female)

girlgato HB Usergirlgato HB User

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! to both of you (Molly and Dana). What a huge relief to know that others have experienced something similar to myself! I'll definitely try to find the book by Gittleman, in fact, I just picked up her book "Super Nutrition For Women" today at the library.
    Oh, and by the way, the a/depr. I'm on is Desipramine (Norpramin). And like you Molly, it seems that I'm feeling better by later in day. Hmmm, time to think about this medication..... will possibly suggest Paxil CR. Also called a Naturapathic doctor Friday afternoon in desperation and have an appt. in 2 wks. that I'm looking forward to. Thanks again for your responses......take care.

Last edited by girlgato; 04-04-2004 at 08:48 PM.

Closed Thread