It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Paxil CR and sleeping

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Paxil CR and sleeping

Can anyone who is taking Paxil CR and had experienced insomnia before taking the drug, does it help you to sleep? I notice women on this board are taking it in the morning. Just wondering if it helped in sleeping. I'm thinking about asking for it instead of the Xanax. I haven't taken Xanax in a while, hate it, makes me nauseaus, but when you need it, I guess you have to take it. I only take pinches of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 02:06 PM   #2
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    Re: Paxil CR and sleeping

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    Can anyone who is taking Paxil CR and had experienced insomnia before taking the drug, does it help you to sleep? I notice women on this board are taking it in the morning. Just wondering if it helped in sleeping. I'm thinking about asking for it instead of the Xanax. I haven't taken Xanax in a while, hate it, makes me nauseaus, but when you need it, I guess you have to take it. I only take pinches of it.
    Hi Ainfante,
    I started taking Paxil CR 12.5mg in mid-Dec. Got got on Paxil CR b/c I was taking Ativan .5mg (anti-anxiety pill). Ativan is very addicting and not good for long-term use. I wasn't depressed, just anxious and was having these internal shakes, and from not knowing what was wrong with me. I took the Paxil at night the very first time. I couldn't sleep so I switched to the mornings The first couple of weeks, I did feel a bit tired during the day at first but not to the point where I would crash. But, I was also feeling extreme fatigue the past several months already too. Of course, people react differently to the Paxil--some may get sleepy from it so it would be better to take it at night.

I felt "normal" after a month being on Paxil. Don't know if it's the Paxil or my hormones finally settled down or what. I also made some changes too: 1) make sure I go to bed about the same time every night now; 2) exercise everyday; 3) take my vits/supplements/soy shakes diligently; 4) don't put myself in stressful situations; 4) accept that I'm getting old. Occasionally, if I find myself having a hard time falling asleep, I take 1/2 a Tylendol PM pill. It helps my backaches too, which has gotten better lately. There are more days where I just fall asleep naturally.

You might want to talk to your dr. about Paxil CR and getting off of the Xanax (it's a benzo drug too, right?). I think I might be ready to wean off soon. I was so busy one day that I didn't realize I didn't take my Paxil until 6 hrs. later. Keep us posted!

Molly

Old 04-22-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
    Direne

Direne HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante

I took Paxil and it didn't change how I slept. Please be careful about taking Paxil. Do a lot of research before you make the decision to go on it. Paxil is a strong drug and should be used with caution and only under close supervision. Just my opinion!

Have you tried an over the counter sleep aid? I use Unisom, it works well for me. Good Luck.

Old 04-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Molly and Diane. Maybe I should just go buy some sleep nightime tea.
    Thanks for all the input.

Old 04-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
    GirlHarley
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GirlHarley HB User

I just weaned myself off of Paxil.
    I was taking it since Oct and I was under alot of stress so I was getting any sleep, Paxil takes 4-6 weeks to settle into your system. When it finally settled into my system I would fall asleep for a couple of hours only to wake up again around 2AM and couldn't fall back to asleep till 4AM.

When I went back to my doctor for a 6wk check while taking Paxil he did ask how I was sleeping and told him,..Then he gave me a perscription of Amibien 10 pills at 10mg. I tooked them only when I needed to because again...I heard Amibien is also addicting..I have three pills left of Amibien and like I mentioned weaned myself off of Paxil with my doctor's approval...I didn't like Paxil, I felt very tired in the morning and couldn't focus. But everyone is different because I have also heard good things about Paxil....

Oh, and I'm sorry to say...I freakin gained 15 pounds that I am having a very hard time losing. I am working out, eating well, keeping busy, so far I feel like a big fat blimp!

Good luck if you going to use Paxil, hope you have better luck then me.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:26 AM   #6
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GirlHarley
    I just weaned myself off of Paxil.
    I was taking it since Oct and I was under alot of stress so I was getting any sleep, Paxil takes 4-6 weeks to settle into your system. When it finally settled into my system I would fall asleep for a couple of hours only to wake up again around 2AM and couldn't fall back to asleep till 4AM.

When I went back to my doctor for a 6wk check while taking Paxil he did ask how I was sleeping and told him,..Then he gave me a perscription of Amibien 10 pills at 10mg. I tooked them only when I needed to because again...I heard Amibien is also addicting..I have three pills left of Amibien and like I mentioned weaned myself off of Paxil with my doctor's approval...I didn't like Paxil, I felt very tired in the morning and couldn't focus. But everyone is different because I have also heard good things about Paxil....

Oh, and I'm sorry to say...I freakin gained 15 pounds that I am having a very hard time losing. I am working out, eating well, keeping busy, so far I feel like a big fat blimp!

Good luck if you going to use Paxil, hope you have better luck then me.
    I have the Xanax and can take it when I need it. I just try to make it through all of this by using the progesterone creme and magnesium. The mornings are the worse time for me after sleeping sometimes good and sometimes bad. I just wake up with all this energy,sometimes feel like angry or wanting to cry and I just get up. I call this the adrenalin surge! Unbelievable. Can't wait until it passes. Some days are good and some days are bad. And I always get cramps with it, that's how I know it's hormonal. My thyroid is normal, had it checked twice so have to go on that. My endo calls it perimenopause with anxiety. How fortunate I am.

Old 04-23-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
    Chickodee48

Chickodee48 HB User

I am back on Paxil this time it's Paxil CR.....I know it tells you to take them in the morning, but I have always taken it at night before I go to bed. I also take an otc sleeping pill.....sleeping like a baby!!!!

Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 PM   #8
    PennyD

PennyD HB User

I have been taking Paxil CR since February. I take in in the morning and it does still make me drowsy. Although I am still taking .5 ml of Klonopin at noon so the two together are causing the drowsiness I am sure. I decided I wanted to try to take the PAxil CR at night and did that on Wednesday and Thursday night, it did not help me sleep any better so I am skipping tonight and starting back taking it on Saturday morning. The Paxil CR has really helped me I did not want to take an SSRI so I fought it for 4 months, but I just needed some help so I am glad to be taking it. I will probably stay on it another 6-8 months according to my doctor.
    Penny

Closed Thread