HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Menopause (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/)
-   -   Any 40 year olds been through Perimenopause? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/168191-any-40-year-olds-been-through-perimenopause.html)

singer1 04-23-2004 02:46 PM

Any 40 year olds been through Perimenopause?

I see the average age is mid to late 40's and wanted to know if someone in their early 40's have experienced any menopause yet.

Thanks ladies!

Laurie2 04-23-2004 03:54 PM

Re: Any 40 year olds been through Perimenopause?

My symptoms started in 1993 with late periods and missed ones. I was 42 then. In early 1994, they stopped entirely and I thought I was pregant. Nope.
Outside of the missed periods, thinning skin, sleeping shorter hours and a few times blowing up at my husband.....I did not have the "sweats" or the hot flashes. No depression or some of the other symptoms. Going through it was not as horrific as some stories I had heard. My doctor was surprised at so few symptoms. He tried me on estrogen therapy but it was causing me problems....did not feel as alert and did not want to go through the monthly cramping again.

My grandmother went through menopause when she was 44 right after having her last child. She had to take estrogen shots to quell some of the worst symptoms (this was the late 1940s) My mother staved off hers for awhile by taking estrogen pills. So when she stopped taking them and going through menopause, she was in her late 50s.

Gail Sheely's book on menopause suggested you ask immediate older female relatives when they started and their own experiences. This would give you an idea when you would begin. Also a look at how to live through it. In many cultures, it is a sign of going into "wise womanhood" and not a stigma of being "old".

GirlHarley 04-24-2004 12:25 PM

YES! :( and it really bites...

I have already had to suffer with PMS thru my teens and twenties...Well,
looking back now...I guess...My 30's were the best? Don't know why but I can just say this now...

I'm 42...I turned 40 in March 02, and I remember in August 02 getting my period twice...freaked me out because I have always been on schedule with my periods...Every 25 days...Then I would miss a period, get it again twice in a month...In two years...I "maybe" had a normal three month cycle.
Well, my last period was March 23 2004 - and whatta you know...haven't gotten the damn thing yet and I wish I would....I'm also having freakin Panic Attacks, Mood Swings, weight gain... :eek:

On a good note...I started the Peri Zapper by Dr.Phil's website that I heard I read on this board and I don't know if it's mind over matter but....I'm feeling alittle bit like my old self...

NOW, my two older sisters...I keep asking them how they are doing and if they are having any systoms...NO! and they laugh at me! My bestfriend who is 45, same thing...Nothing going on yet with her and she can't believe I'm having these issues...

THANK GOD FOR THESE BOARDS or I would really lose it! :wave:

ainfante 04-24-2004 02:10 PM

Well at least we have this board. Right now, I'm on it at least once or twice a day, it helps me. Just knowing that there are other women out there who feel like I do, helps me. I need my estogen tested and my doctor won't do it, cause I'm still menstuating. My last two periods came in March and they were light and turned dark just in the second day or third if there was a third. Now, all I've been doing is spotting like every four days. I took an ultrasound and I have cysts on my ovaries and a few small fibroids. I get hot flushes or flashes right before I spot, isn't that funny? Never ever experienced this! Night sweats, heck yeah, always before my period, but nothing like this.
Here are my symptoms.
Hot flashes coming up from my midwaist, although they have calmed down alot since I've been using the natural progesterone creme.
anxiety
hypoglycemia feeling
insomnia (progesterone creme helps me here along with mag)
dry skin, very dry skin
itchy crawly skin
tingling in my stomach before a hot flash
periods way out of whack, spotting, totally irregular
muscle cramps
an overbundance or anger surge at times when I get up in the morning, feel like I'm going to cry or want to cry.
sometimes will cry with something I would normally not cry about.
I had cold flashes, where my feet and my fingers or one finger would be cold and there were just not enough blankets. Now, I still get them, but it is more of a chill.

Had my thyroid checked and it's fine. Had it checked twice. I do have a nodule on my thyroid, very very small, can't even biopsy the thing. And if it were producing extra hormone, it would have surely showed up in my blood, right? The funny thing is, there are so many symptoms so closely related to perimenopause, menopause and thyroid conditions and anxiety. And guess what, we could have all three, LOL

Boomerue 04-25-2004 06:40 PM

I went through Menapause, at the age of 41, my mun, was 36, so I suppose my two girls will go through it early as well.
It was a night mare, I am now 55, and still get some of the symtoms.
boomerue

singer1 04-25-2004 07:26 PM

Boom,

What ere your symptoms and how did you now it was periomenopause as opposed to something else being wrong?

Boomerue 04-25-2004 09:09 PM

I strated to feel moody, and with drawn, and I went for tests, and the doc said that I had a thyroid problem and that my hormones were fine, of course us women know our own bodys.
Then I had a problem with my left ear, and had to go back to the doctor,and he said that I had tinutus, I went through hell, for 6 years, and then one day, I woke up and the noise in my ear had gone was not dizzy any more, felr 100 per cent.Then 2 years later, I had trouble with my left ear again, they now say that I have ocosolrouis in the ear, I some times nearly go mad, it seems to affect my whole body, neck ache head ache, and arm pain my eyes, and my head alweays feel *****.
It is like a night mare.
I work in a privite hospital, and it is so hard to get through the day some times.
I get so cross, and angry with my self, the doctor, said there is nothing they can do, just get on with it.

singer1 04-26-2004 05:22 AM

It makes you wonder why we women have it so ruff! I suppose it was all Eve's fault! :wave:

ainfante 04-26-2004 07:27 AM

[QUOTE=singer1]It makes you wonder why we women have it so ruff! I suppose it was all Eve's fault! :wave:[/QUOTE]

That's what I say all the time, LOL! Yes, Eve. I've been told by some of my ex-female gyne's that I have perimenopause. My recent endo who was also female also told me I was going through perimenopause with some anxiety. The anxiety is a humdinger, let me tell you! The body is changing, your hormones aren't producing as they use too. Reality, this is an on going thing for quite sometime. I began perimenopause around 38, 39. I was just going through a immune system shutdown where I had colds all the time, I was fatigued and moody. It's hard. Now, I'm really on the edge thanks to having PMS beforehand. I suffered a severe car accident two years ago, so I'm really having a hard time dealing with getting in the car and perimenopause. Just hang in there. Try meditating, listening to some self hypnosis cd's or tapes and whatever you can do to relax and let go. It's difficult, it's not easy. And also know that there are many women here for you who are also going through the same traumatic perimenopause and menopause.

kc1216 04-27-2004 01:22 PM

That's what made me ask for my hormones to be tested. My mom went through it at 38 and I am 39. Started it a few months ago and just got it confirmed a few weeks ago. It's not fun but at least you know you're not alone!

Boomerue 04-27-2004 03:02 PM

I still get the hot flushes, and the ***** head.
My friend next door, is 73, and still gets the hot flushes.
boomerue

ainfante 04-27-2004 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=kc1216]That's what made me ask for my hormones to be tested. My mom went through it at 38 and I am 39. Started it a few months ago and just got it confirmed a few weeks ago. It's not fun but at least you know you're not alone![/QUOTE]

This is so true! I will ask her to run them anyways on Friday. It will be day 6 after the 1st day of my period. Do you think it will matter?

Boomerue 04-27-2004 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=ainfante]This is so true! I will ask her to run them anyways on Friday. It will be day 6 after the 1st day of my period. Do you think it will matter?[/QUOTE]
I dont think that it will matter much, good luck with the tests.
I know that when I went for my thyroid tests, the doc said that it was normal, untill I passed out at the hairdresers

ainfante 04-27-2004 05:10 PM

[QUOTE=singer1]Boom,

What ere your symptoms and how did you now it was periomenopause as opposed to something else being wrong?[/QUOTE]

For me, it was the mood swings, irritability, headaches, nausea, gastro upset, irregular periods, anxiety, palpitations, night sweats...cause I've been in perimenopause for a while now, just didn't have all this anxiety, some of it has to do with that I lost my brother two months ago (the anxiety that is) food craving is another one. Two years ago, my gyne told me, she just could tell. Also I had PMS before and knew when I was perimenopause. Not to mention insomnia or just plain ole exhausted.

ainfante 04-27-2004 05:12 PM

Also too singer, I had blood work and everything was fine including my thyroid. So, my endo and gyne said I had peri. Now with anxiety, you will keep saying that you have something wrong and continue to search as if you have an illness. Women don't jump and agree with their gyne's or endo's that they have peri or menopause cause they really don't know when it happens and then it hits you and you think you're dying from a disease--no no, it can't be peri or meno, I've got something else wrong, LOL