It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Peri crazy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-26-2004, 07:40 AM   #1
    allergicinsw

allergicinsw HB User
    Peri crazy

Hi

These threads are really helping. I am 43 and have amny of the symptoms listed. Unfortunately they all seem to also point to ovarian cancer and I am totally freaking and not sleeping. I have a lot of the symptoms but my period is still fairly regular. It is a bit shorter than before and PMS is worse. I have bloating and gas and some pain in right ovary side. I had colonscopy a year ago, ok. I had ultrasound and had a 1 cm cyst on right ovary but it was noraml. I had a CT a few days later with contrast and it was normal. There was some fluid near the right ovary and in uterus but doc said that was not real unusual. The cyst may have ruptured. I was dx with femoral hernia and had repair in Dec. I thought maybe it is cancer and they just think it is hernia. I still have SI joint pain, and pain where surgery was done and some right leg pressure. None of it is gut wrenching but I just thnk something is wrong. I work at a cancer center and the doc said between my ultrasound (external), CT, and CA 125, something would most likely be out if it was ca. I have the brain fog, gerd, constipation and diarrhea(occasionally, usually during period). I have panic attacks and am lethargic. I am tired but mainly from not sleeping much and have no motivation for exercise but I try to do it anyway. I was always very athletic and energetic. I have gained about 7 pounds. I weight 147 at 5'7" so it is not out of hand but I feel it. I am going to get the book. Anyone else have these fears.

Sharon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
    PennyD

PennyD HB User
    Re: Peri crazy

Sharon,
    All of us experience similar symptoms of perimenopause. I freaked out last fall because my GP said I had a mole that had to come off. My sister died of melonoma at age 40 and I totally freaked out, but mine was just abnormal, not cancer. I understand your concerns, you said you work at a cancer center so that would keep cancer in the fore front for you at all times. By all means have any test done that you think would ease your mind but I am living proof that anxiety and anxiety alone can cause you to think you are dying of something. I have had numerous blood test, and EKG, a CT Scan of the brain with contrast, PAP, 2 breast exams and have a mammogram scheduled for Thursday. This peri phase is really bad, and it can cause you to freak out at the least little thing. I am not demeaning your concerns, I just want to tell you that anxiety could be at the root of your concerns. Anxiety can mimmick all kinds of symptoms and dieases. This is a stage in life when we just have to live one day at a time and stay informed about peri and menopause and learn to cope the best we can. I hope you can find answers to your concerns and that you will again be at peace and be healthly. This board is a great place to come and vent your concerns there are some great ladies here with a lot of knowledge that are willing to share it. Hang tight here and you will feel better just knowing there are others like us out there that are going through some of the same things. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Penny

Old 04-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #3
    allergicinsw

allergicinsw HB User

Thanks so much Penny. Do you think my prior testing would have shown something given my sysmptoms. I cannot stand the stress incontience. I have had it since having kids but it got much worse in last two years. I still cannot stand little lump where my femoral hernia surgery was. is it scar tissue or a tumor. I really am at the end of my rope today.

Sharon

Old 04-26-2004, 08:31 AM   #4
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allergicinsw
    Hi

These threads are really helping. I am 43 and have amny of the symptoms listed. Unfortunately they all seem to also point to ovarian cancer and I am totally freaking and not sleeping. I have a lot of the symptoms but my period is still fairly regular. It is a bit shorter than before and PMS is worse. I have bloating and gas and some pain in right ovary side. I had colonscopy a year ago, ok. I had ultrasound and had a 1 cm cyst on right ovary but it was noraml. I had a CT a few days later with contrast and it was normal. There was some fluid near the right ovary and in uterus but doc said that was not real unusual. The cyst may have ruptured. I was dx with femoral hernia and had repair in Dec. I thought maybe it is cancer and they just think it is hernia. I still have SI joint pain, and pain where surgery was done and some right leg pressure. None of it is gut wrenching but I just thnk something is wrong. I work at a cancer center and the doc said between my ultrasound (external), CT, and CA 125, something would most likely be out if it was ca. I have the brain fog, gerd, constipation and diarrhea(occasionally, usually during period). I have panic attacks and am lethargic. I am tired but mainly from not sleeping much and have no motivation for exercise but I try to do it anyway. I was always very athletic and energetic. I have gained about 7 pounds. I weight 147 at 5'7" so it is not out of hand but I feel it. I am going to get the book. Anyone else have these fears.

Sharon
    Hi Sharon. Yeah me. It's perimenopause with anxiety. It's better for you to just accept it. That way, when you do have a panic/anxiety attack you will know it will pass. I thought everything in the book was wrong with me. In other words, it's almost like I became a hypchondriac. It is normal to get perimenopause with anxiety. It will pass. I decided to have therapy to learn to deal with it. I'm working on it. I have had all and still do, the symptoms you have. I have a bilateral hydrosalpinx, thanks to botching me up after leaving the placenta in me, I have cystic ovaries but they are luteal as the doctor puts it and two small fibroids. I have had spotting, two periods in one month and this last one hurt so bad, I just doubled over with cramps. I had this period yesterday with very dark blood and also eventually old blood. If you had cancer of the uterus or ovaries, I'm sure they would have found it by now. For some reason, alot of us do not want to accept the fact that we are premenopause. And alot has to do with the fact we are getting older and there are alot of diseases out there. So it is good to be checked out to be re-assured nothing medically is wrong. Perimenopause, just like menopause is when your hormones begin to fluctuate or decrease. What does this do to the body? Alot! It can cause you to be over anxious, bringing out some past or current traumas or stress in your life, the endocrine system is going bonkers and there you are. Also, read up on the signs of perimenopause and menopause. I would check the thyroid too. Even if your thyroid hormones are normal, remember that peri and meno play a significant role in thyroid fluctuations or symptoms. I was in a car accident two years ago that was very traumatic for me. Then I just recently lost my brother (February) and that was traumatic. I had already gone through most of the perimenopause symptoms quite sometime ago and already had insomnia before my brother passed away, so his death just emphasized my perimenopause and added anxiety to the ringer. It will all pass. It really will. The most important step is to accept it. I'm still being checked out by doctors, cause you will need to do this until you find out that there is nothing wrong with you. Everything goes haywire. The gastro, the bowels, the nervous system, the glands, the body temperature, etc. You will even find yourself totally stressed out about something that before never bothered you. You have to recondition yourself. Recondition yourself to accept and also to begin to ignore the symptoms when you feel like your body just went haywire. This will take time, but it can be done. As I sit here writing to you, it's my second day of my lovely irregular period and I'm cold, so chilled when before I was so hot, so very hot with some chills. I'm also still anxious, and my hands and feet are cold. So, there we go. Just so looking forward to another cycle.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:34 AM   #5
    menopatty
    (female)

menopatty HB User

Hi Girls

Your words all give me hope. I can't spend any more on testing. I've never been so obsessed with my health as now. I've been under a lot of stress the last few months (I'm 53 this year) and my migraines have kicked in. My periods, though regular are killer for one day then almost nothing for the next 2. The latest is my heart flutters, nausea and this insane tingling up the back of my head. I can feel the blood pumping in my head. What the hell is that? I have that in between the migraines. My doctor gave me Zoloft which makes me have more indigestion. Does this all sound within the realm of okay?? Please tell me so I can sleep at night.

Old 04-26-2004, 08:40 AM   #6
    allergicinsw

allergicinsw HB User

Thank you all

I go to the doctor in an hour and am anxious. I would love to know it was all perimenopause. I do not understand how my peiods are still regular even if shorter. it sounds like most people here have irreg periods before becoming wacky.

Sharon

Old 04-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #7
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
    I go to the doctor in an hour and am anxious. I would love to know it was all perimenopause. I do not understand how my peiods are still regular even if shorter. it sounds like most people here have irreg periods before becoming wacky.
    I have it on excellent authority (DH) that my wackiness predated perimenopause.
    Perimenopause - in strict definition - means "irregular menses" However, in actuality, the hormone fluctuations can often accentuate symptoms and bring them to our attention (so to speak) long before our periods start playing hide and seek. By the way, if your periods are now shorter than normal (for you), does that not fit a definition of irregular? (it would in my book! ) My hair started falling out and the brain fog moved in along with joint pain, insomnia, moodiness LONG before my periods went whacko.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    For some reason, alot of us do not want to accept the fact that we are premenopause.
    Very perceptive! I think some of us ol--er--chronologically gifted women would rather suspect serious health problems, such as cancer, than face the fact that we are aging. I blame our youth-obsessed culture.
    Sharon, I strongly recommend that you go to the library and check out the following books: Before the Change, by Ann Louise Gittleman; What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Pre-Menopause, by Dr. John Lee.

Hope your doctor was able to reassure you vis-a-vis cancer, but I don't hold out much hope that he/she has much expertise when it comes to perimenopause. Too many are undereducated in this regard.

best wishes,

charli
    203/146/146 on the Fat Flush Plan for life
    50, menopausal and perky. Veddy veddy perky

Old 04-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #8
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by menopatty
    Hi Girls

Your words all give me hope. I can't spend any more on testing. I've never been so obsessed with my health as now. I've been under a lot of stress the last few months (I'm 53 this year) and my migraines have kicked in. My periods, though regular are killer for one day then almost nothing for the next 2. The latest is my heart flutters, nausea and this insane tingling up the back of my head. I can feel the blood pumping in my head. What the hell is that? I have that in between the migraines. My doctor gave me Zoloft which makes me have more indigestion. Does this all sound within the realm of okay?? Please tell me so I can sleep at night.
    Hi Menopatty. It's your hormones. And your hormones are making you anxious. It will pass, just keep going and try not to give it attention. I know it's hard and there are days it is so hard for me too. Even though I feel those hot flushes or cold flushes, or trembling or a headache, or cramps, or just plain ole crazy, I just try to tell myself it's just perimenopause or meno with anxiety and it will pass. Hope this gives you some kind of encouragement. It's not easy being a woman!

Old 04-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #9
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hope your doctor was able to reassure you vis-a-vis cancer, but I don't hold out much hope that he/she has much expertise when it comes to perimenopause. Too many are undereducated in this regard.

That's it Charli in a nutshell (LOL)! The doctors do not understand perimenopause. I have been to two female gyne doctors who do understand perimenopause and two years ago they were trying to tell me that's what I had but I didn't want to believe them. I was only 43. After 3 months, my spotting stopped and I went back to somewhat of a normalicy. Now here I am two years later and doing it all over again, this time with anxiety. My endo who checked out my thyroid said I was peri with anxiety. She said it was sometimes a rollercoaster! Great America, here I come!

Old 04-26-2004, 11:12 AM   #10
    PennyD

PennyD HB User

Quote:
    Thanks so much Penny. Do you think my prior testing would have shown something given my sysmptoms. I cannot stand the stress incontience. I have had it since having kids but it got much worse in last two years. I still cannot stand little lump where my femoral hernia surgery was. is it scar tissue or a tumor. I really am at the end of my rope today.

Sharon
    Sharon,
    Have you talked with your doctor about doing an ultrasound, if that can be done in your situation to see if it is scar tissue from the surgery or possibly a tumor. Like I said I don't know if an ultrasound would be the test, maybe some kind of test with a scope would be more in order, anyway have you asked to see if it can be determined. During peri and menopause our minds can just run away with all kind of things, and naturally we think the worst possible conclusion. I have been there all my severe symptoms started in Aug of 2003, I now see that I was suffering from a mild form of anxiety since 2002, but did not recognize until the anxiety attacks hit "out of the blue" one day in August. I have seen an endocrinologist and been diagnoised with a severe hormone imbalance. I have hardly any progesterone. I have had a lot of different symptoms and I would freak out! My GP is wonderful I knew her before she went to med school so that makes it even better. She has ordered the tests I have asked for and Thank God and I mean that literally, every test has shown nothing abnormal or wrong. I really mean it when I say anxiety can make you nuts! I am taking meds now I did not want to do that and fought it for several months. But I take an anti-anxiety med called Klonopin and the SSRI Paxil CR. BOth have helped tremendously. Have you talked with your doctor about meds? We are not medical professionals on this board (if someone is they cannot disclose it)we are just "Peri-wild" women trying to make it from day to day. Hang tough and stay on this board and speak with your doctor about the scar tissue/tumor thing, and most of all try not to jump to conclusions, especially the worst possible one! Post anytime you need to someone will always try to help.
    Penny

Old 04-26-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
    allergicinsw

allergicinsw HB User

Thanks to all of you. The doctor tried to reassure me that I had all 3 tests last Oct when I had even more pelvic pain. Now it is more like a pressure in the right side. She said one of them would have worked. She is knowledgeable about perimenopause and gave me an excellent document to read with some lit about natural/alternative hormone replacement. She said to ask my mother about when she went into it. She did not think the lump where my surgery was was significant. She did some blood cultures and a UA and a pelvic with some swabs as well. My temp was 99.5 but lately that has not been unusual. last year I had several pelvic infections, starting with toxic shock which I got out in the field with the Navy. I am a reservist. It started me on this rollercoaster although the bowel probs had been there on and off forever. Went on to yeast and now just discomfort. The brain fog started a while back. I'll go into a room and forget what I went there for or pass a street I am supposed to go down. My kids have to remind me. She said next week we would order an MRI after we look at the other tests. She feels it is not really necessary but wants me to be relieved. Hopefully I am.

Sharon

Old 04-26-2004, 01:12 PM   #12
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Thanks to all of you. The doctor tried to reassure me that I had all 3 tests last Oct when I had even more pelvic pain. Now it is more like a pressure in the right side. She said one of them would have worked. She is knowledgeable about perimenopause and gave me an excellent document to read with some lit about natural/alternative hormone replacement. She said to ask my mother about when she went into it. She did not think the lump where my surgery was was significant. She did some blood cultures and a UA and a pelvic with some swabs as well. My temp was 99.5 but lately that has not been unusual. last year I had several pelvic infections, starting with toxic shock which I got out in the field with the Navy. I am a reservist. It started me on this rollercoaster although the bowel probs had been there on and off forever. Went on to yeast and now just discomfort. The brain fog started a while back. I'll go into a room and forget what I went there for or pass a street I am supposed to go down. My kids have to remind me. She said next week we would order an MRI after we look at the other tests. She feels it is not really necessary but wants me to be relieved. Hopefully I am.

Sharon
    Hi Sharon. I hope you will share some of the info you got today. I'm interested, can't you tell. I'm glad you're doing okay. I know about the pain around the ovary and the pelvic pain and the low grade fevers. I have ovarian cysts and a bilateral hydrosalpinx. They still haven't taken it out. Keep us informed.

Old 04-26-2004, 01:19 PM   #13
    allergicinsw

allergicinsw HB User

I will. Did you get 99 - 99.6 elevated temps with the cysts?

Sharon

Old 04-27-2004, 08:42 AM   #14
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I will. Did you get 99 - 99.6 elevated temps with the cysts?

Sharon

I had back in March a 99.0 temp. I thought it was from my hot flashes. I got my female gyne back, just got in the network. So we are going to talk on Friday. Unfortunately, she can't run my hormone blood levels due to the fact I won't get off the natural progesterone creme for a month. Nope, won't do it.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #15
    allergicinsw

allergicinsw HB User

I have had all of the symptoms you are experiencing plus some. The back pain yesterday was awful. I am going to the chiropractor today.

Sharon

Closed Thread