It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Menopause Message Board

  • need insight on peri

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 04-29-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
    miller01
    Senior Member
     
    miller01's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Posts: 258
    miller01 HB User
    Unhappy need insight on peri

    I hope that I can gain some insight as to why I feel so bad and maybe discover what my body is lacking, or making too much of:

    Two weeks out of the month I am basically functioning alright. Still have fuzzy thinking, anxiety and mood swings. Why is it that 2 weeks before my period I start to get a HUGE stomach hanging down low, and causing pressure on my bladder and it stays until my period is done? I can't function during this time frame: more fuzzy thinking, anxiety, anger, irritation (can't stand anything that appears stupid to me--which during this time is alot!), painful ovaries, fatigued, etc. Then when my period comes...I am sooo runned down and lose big clots and feel terrible!!!

    I have had my progesterone, esteriol and DHEA tested (Serum) and they came back fine (I suppose). So are these LACK of progesterone or excess symptoms???? THATS THE MAIN QUESTION!

    I haven't been having not flashes, so I don't think its an estrogen shortage, am I right?

    What else am I missing? Meaning am I not looking at the right area? BRAIN DEAD!

    Cortisol, thryoid..etc??

    I am hypothyroid, have been for three years. Taking levoxyl. MY TSH is 3.14 at the latest reading. My Free T-4 and Free T-3 were at high end though.

    Could there be something else wrong with me? Help me see some light!!!

    Thanks!

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 04-29-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ainfante's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Chicago, Illinois
    Posts: 2,125
    ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miller01
    I hope that I can gain some insight as to why I feel so bad and maybe discover what my body is lacking, or making too much of:

    Two weeks out of the month I am basically functioning alright. Still have fuzzy thinking, anxiety and mood swings. Why is it that 2 weeks before my period I start to get a HUGE stomach hanging down low, and causing pressure on my bladder and it stays until my period is done? I can't function during this time frame: more fuzzy thinking, anxiety, anger, irritation (can't stand anything that appears stupid to me--which during this time is alot!), painful ovaries, fatigued, etc. Then when my period comes...I am sooo runned down and lose big clots and feel terrible!!!

    I have had my progesterone, esteriol and DHEA tested (Serum) and they came back fine (I suppose). So are these LACK of progesterone or excess symptoms???? THATS THE MAIN QUESTION!

    I haven't been having not flashes, so I don't think its an estrogen shortage, am I right?

    What else am I missing? Meaning am I not looking at the right area? BRAIN DEAD!

    Cortisol, thryoid..etc??

    I am hypothyroid, have been for three years. Taking levoxyl. MY TSH is 3.14 at the latest reading. My Free T-4 and Free T-3 were at high end though.

    Could there be something else wrong with me? Help me see some light!!!

    Thanks!
    You have all the symptoms to me of perimenopause, have them too, minus the clots and heavy bleeding. I can't tell your thyroid without ranges to compare the reading. I use to have a hyperthyroid problem, they say this never goes away but my thyroid tests always come back normal. Not on any meds for it. Just because your hormones came back normal doesn't really mean they are normal. The anxiety makes it worse. It comes with the package, or at least my package, LOL You will find many women here who are in the same feeling situation. Feel free to vent and you also probably get some great answers to your questions here. I'm on here quite often since I just started to feel this two months ago. Still venting!

     
    Old 04-30-2004, 07:25 AM   #3
    kc1216
    Veteran
     
    kc1216's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Location: CT
    Posts: 433
    kc1216 HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Hi Miller, Aintfante is right - although your hormones are reading "normal" - you're starting peri. Hormones change daily so readings can differ depending what part of your cycle you are in.

    I have all the symptoms you have too - the anxiety is the strongest right now. I haven't seen too many women with bladder problems but that is also one of my main things too - I don't know what is worse - the anxiety or bladder. My anxiety got so bad last night my hands and feet were sweating profusely. For some reason I hate going home from work - I feel worse when I am home - still trying to figure that out. Another weird thing - I am terrified of getting the mail - isn't that nuts? My husband says it's him who is bugging me - I almost want to say Yes. He gets on my nerves now more than ever but I know it's the hormones. The other night I just wanted to crawl into the dark closet where nobody could find me - just wanted to be left alone.

    Anyway, I used to have the heavy clotting up until February. Now it's different. My sex drive - hahahahaha!
    What's that?!

    My "real" period normally starts the 25th of each month - thereabouts. The two weeks before I am bloated like you say, I have SO MUCH PRESSURE on my bladder - feels like a UTI but doesn't actually burn when I pee. Then the second week the anxiety kicks in - major chest pains, running down my arms even, hard to breathe, I cry at everything, snap at people, etc. I also start to spot but it goes away. I also get IBS real bad with lots of gas. Then I get my real period with lots of IBS but I don't bleed heavy - just very very dark - almost brown. Sorry for being gross.
    Once it's going I sort of feel okay, my bloating goes away and the week after it ends I'm good in the beginning but now the anxiety is setting back in.

    I'm 39. My mom started when she was 37. Dr. just put me on low bc - Yasmin but not sure if it's helping yet. Trying to take lots of calcium, zinc, b vitamins - oh and I have to take clariton now for allergy season and I believe that actually helps me with the bladder pressure. I read it on an ICN board so tried it.

    Anyway, hang in there, at least you're not alone.

    KC

     
    Old 04-30-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ainfante's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Chicago, Illinois
    Posts: 2,125
    ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kc1216
    Hi Miller, Aintfante is right - although your hormones are reading "normal" - you're starting peri. Hormones change daily so readings can differ depending what part of your cycle you are in.

    I have all the symptoms you have too - the anxiety is the strongest right now. I haven't seen too many women with bladder problems but that is also one of my main things too - I don't know what is worse - the anxiety or bladder. My anxiety got so bad last night my hands and feet were sweating profusely. For some reason I hate going home from work - I feel worse when I am home - still trying to figure that out. Another weird thing - I am terrified of getting the mail - isn't that nuts? My husband says it's him who is bugging me - I almost want to say Yes. He gets on my nerves now more than ever but I know it's the hormones. The other night I just wanted to crawl into the dark closet where nobody could find me - just wanted to be left alone.

    Anyway, I used to have the heavy clotting up until February. Now it's different. My sex drive - hahahahaha!
    What's that?!

    My "real" period normally starts the 25th of each month - thereabouts. The two weeks before I am bloated like you say, I have SO MUCH PRESSURE on my bladder - feels like a UTI but doesn't actually burn when I pee. Then the second week the anxiety kicks in - major chest pains, running down my arms even, hard to breathe, I cry at everything, snap at people, etc. I also start to spot but it goes away. I also get IBS real bad with lots of gas. Then I get my real period with lots of IBS but I don't bleed heavy - just very very dark - almost brown. Sorry for being gross.
    Once it's going I sort of feel okay, my bloating goes away and the week after it ends I'm good in the beginning but now the anxiety is setting back in.

    I'm 39. My mom started when she was 37. Dr. just put me on low bc - Yasmin but not sure if it's helping yet. Trying to take lots of calcium, zinc, b vitamins - oh and I have to take clariton now for allergy season and I believe that actually helps me with the bladder pressure. I read it on an ICN board so tried it.

    Anyway, hang in there, at least you're not alone.

    KC
    KC, how about that IBS? If peri doesn't set it off, I can't tell you another thing that does! The gas just roams everywhere. Sorry to say, that I only got probably a 5 day break with this period and now here comes the anxiety and the works again. I posted elsewhere about what my gyne did today, I think under pericrazy. I don't remember cause I'm pericrazy! It's hard to type cause I'm so chilled and this morning I was so hot, that I perspired and had an anxiety attack right out of my sleep. Yuck! I'm also snappy today and wow, I remember when it was just PMS and it was only two weeks out of the month, now it's friggin' 3 weeks to 3 1/2 weeks! Uggh! This is HELL!

     
    Old 04-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
    kc1216
    Veteran
     
    kc1216's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Location: CT
    Posts: 433
    kc1216 HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    I'm snappy 24/7. It's like I left my body and someone else is in it. I just went to the store and bought some citrucel for the gas - I was reading some IBS boards and they say that menopause can bring that on. As I posted to the other post about Aintfante's IBS, I was doubled over last night. I tried to go and couldn't. Went this morning but it was painful.

    I'm hoping the citrucel will help. I take so much stuff now! But at least this time I'm not thinking I am having a heart attack or something. That's how my anxiety feels - major chest pains. I noticed sweets sets that off - had two little chocolate chip cookies with my lunch and went out to the drug store and felt lousy - couldn't sit still driving on the highway. Comes on either right after I eat something sweet or when I'm worried about something.

    Try the Citrucel - maybe that will help.

    Feel better,
    KC

     
    Old 04-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jan 2003
    Posts: 861
    rmc12 HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Miller, Ainfante and KC:

    Your posts really help me and I wanted to thank you. I say this as sometimes one thinks that they are the only ones going thru this Perimenopausal Rollercoaster and it is always good to know that ok...others are experiencing it too. It helps I think with the anxiety to think.

    one of you said a mouthful when you said PMS used to be a week and now it is like we have one or one and a half good weeks after our periods and boom on the rollercoaster again. That is how I feel. My gyn said it is definitely a prolonged PMS at this time and very normal. But sometimes I start imagining it is all sorts of things and that is when anxiety takes over. I am trying very hard not to let it though and this month have done better. I think I have you all to thank for that , as far as helping me see things more rationally and knowing others are unfortunately having the same problems. Not happy you are having them by any means, just glad to not be alone. The friends I know all have hot flashes as their biggest complaint with peri , tiredness and also the anxiety to a lesser extent.

    As I said in another post after feeling great yesterday I just want more of those days and wonder why one day is better than the other!! But I do think from what the gyn said the hormones fluctuate so, that it can't be predicted.

    The IBS she also said is definitely more exaggerated and even though I have been told that, I still get anxiety over it. I think if I could keep the anxiety in check I would be better with coping of course with the symptoms we all are going thru.

    anyway, thanks for listening and hope you all have a better weekend.

    rmc

     
    Old 04-30-2004, 12:50 PM   #7
    kc1216
    Veteran
     
    kc1216's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Location: CT
    Posts: 433
    kc1216 HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Hi all!

    I was even considering a female therapist - maybe this could help me with the anxiety. You know what's interesting - I used to drink - way way too much. I have been in AA for a while now - this program teaches you how to "cope" with not drinking - how to "destress w/out drinking", good stuff and I've been off the sauce for a while (next thing I have to give up is cigs but I am not ready to yet). I keep thinking of trying to apply the AA thinking to this anxiety because it reminds me of the same thing when I couldn't get a drink fast enough - same heart racing feeling. But with this, you can't predict when it will happen which is so strange.

    So I was thinking about a therapist to try to work through my worrying - I do that CONSTANTLY - always worried about someone or something. And sometimes I try to suppress it and it comes out in other ways. The peri stuff just aggravates it more.

    And nothing has to happen to set it off.

    I have an hour till I go home - that is usually when the palpitations start.

    KC

     
    Old 04-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #8
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ainfante's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Chicago, Illinois
    Posts: 2,125
    ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kc1216
    I'm snappy 24/7. It's like I left my body and someone else is in it. I just went to the store and bought some citrucel for the gas - I was reading some IBS boards and they say that menopause can bring that on. As I posted to the other post about Aintfante's IBS, I was doubled over last night. I tried to go and couldn't. Went this morning but it was painful.

    I'm hoping the citrucel will help. I take so much stuff now! But at least this time I'm not thinking I am having a heart attack or something. That's how my anxiety feels - major chest pains. I noticed sweets sets that off - had two little chocolate chip cookies with my lunch and went out to the drug store and felt lousy - couldn't sit still driving on the highway. Comes on either right after I eat something sweet or when I'm worried about something.

    Try the Citrucel - maybe that will help.

    Feel better,
    KC
    I quit eating sugar about 7 weeks ago, it just made me go bazonkers! I can't eat my sweets I like right now cause it causes more anxiety. And of course, when you start to think about something--that seems to cause anxiety too! Citrucel is a fiber, correct? My gastro's nurse mentioned that, I think. I think it's time to start the progesterone creme, day 7 is tomorrow and I can already feel the heeby jeebies! My gyne says I should only do 10mg a day, well that's going to be kind of hard to figure out with the 2 ounce jar and 900 mg. HMMM

     
    Old 05-01-2004, 06:55 AM   #9
    alwaysaworrier
    Senior Member
    (female)
     
    alwaysaworrier's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Posts: 217
    alwaysaworrier HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Sometimes I think its perimenopause or panic/anxiety and other times like today I just wonder is there something serious wrong with me. It can get so scary sometimes and I think I must have something terrible wrong with me. These last three days I have this strange head, hard enough to describe but its like a distant headace or *****. It even feels heavy on my neck as if its too heavy for it. Also, when I'm like this my eyes get so heavy and tired. Does anybody else feel like this?? or what is the cause of it. I just get so frightened sometimes. I also get this tingling on the side of my head and down my face occasionally.

    I also get get this surge up through me which I always think is panic/anxiety and the funny thing is I have nothing happening in my life to cause this so......what causes it?? When I am feeling like this my legs are also very weak. I just don't know what to think at this stage. Sorry for ranting on but just hope someone out there might respond and I always feel a little better and reading these posts.
    thanks for reading this.

     
    Old 05-01-2004, 08:46 AM   #10
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ainfante's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Chicago, Illinois
    Posts: 2,125
    ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmc12
    Miller, Ainfante and KC:

    Your posts really help me and I wanted to thank you. I say this as sometimes one thinks that they are the only ones going thru this Perimenopausal Rollercoaster and it is always good to know that ok...others are experiencing it too. It helps I think with the anxiety to think.

    one of you said a mouthful when you said PMS used to be a week and now it is like we have one or one and a half good weeks after our periods and boom on the rollercoaster again. That is how I feel. My gyn said it is definitely a prolonged PMS at this time and very normal. But sometimes I start imagining it is all sorts of things and that is when anxiety takes over. I am trying very hard not to let it though and this month have done better. I think I have you all to thank for that , as far as helping me see things more rationally and knowing others are unfortunately having the same problems. Not happy you are having them by any means, just glad to not be alone. The friends I know all have hot flashes as their biggest complaint with peri , tiredness and also the anxiety to a lesser extent.

    As I said in another post after feeling great yesterday I just want more of those days and wonder why one day is better than the other!! But I do think from what the gyn said the hormones fluctuate so, that it can't be predicted.

    The IBS she also said is definitely more exaggerated and even though I have been told that, I still get anxiety over it. I think if I could keep the anxiety in check I would be better with coping of course with the symptoms we all are going thru.

    anyway, thanks for listening and hope you all have a better weekend.

    rmc
    I've learned to take one anxiety at a time. That would be the best. To take them all on at once is just too much. The most important thing to remember is: It's happening to you! And it is important to you to discover why you are feeling this way.

     
    Old 05-01-2004, 12:08 PM   #11
    miller01
    Senior Member
     
    miller01's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2002
    Posts: 258
    miller01 HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Ok, tell me ladies...

    Does progesterone cream help? What is the best brand to buy? (Where can you get it-retail??) I really want to suggest to holistic doc this Friday....I did go out and buy "before the change". It is full of wonderful things. One of the peri-zappers is progrestone cream. With my thyroid problem I REALLY want to give it a try. Don't think doc will say to. My hand and feet are cold all the time. The main thing that bugs me is the fatigue as well as the anger and no thinking capability. Will this ever end??????? How long is this suppose to last????

    Is this the Major Test of a lifetime?

    P.S. Do any of you have significant other that helps or hurts you? I have hubby going thru his midlife too...I NEED SUPPORT NOT TO BE BROUGHT DOWN! Sometime I feel like leaving....just to get a rest from him.

    Last edited by miller01; 05-01-2004 at 12:12 PM.

     
    Old 05-01-2004, 01:16 PM   #12
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    ainfante's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2004
    Location: Chicago, Illinois
    Posts: 2,125
    ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by miller01
    Ok, tell me ladies...

    Does progesterone cream help? What is the best brand to buy? (Where can you get it-retail??) I really want to suggest to holistic doc this Friday....I did go out and buy "before the change". It is full of wonderful things. One of the peri-zappers is progrestone cream. With my thyroid problem I REALLY want to give it a try. Don't think doc will say to. My hand and feet are cold all the time. The main thing that bugs me is the fatigue as well as the anger and no thinking capability. Will this ever end??????? How long is this suppose to last????

    Is this the Major Test of a lifetime?

    P.S. Do any of you have significant other that helps or hurts you? I have hubby going thru his midlife too...I NEED SUPPORT NOT TO BE BROUGHT DOWN! Sometime I feel like leaving....just to get a rest from him.
    I use Natragest. I use to get from a labratory, you can buy it online. Don't give up.

     
    Old 05-01-2004, 03:06 PM   #13
    BonBe
    Registered User
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: Ontario Canada
    Posts: 1,326
    BonBe HB User
    Re: need insight on peri

    I agree, do not give up. My family were supportive. (still are for that matter)

    One thing I noticed on your first posting, was your TSH is quite high considering the american ranges are way below 3.00 ask about that on the thyroid board. My TSH is at a much lower level than yours....and mine is based on Canadian levels.

    BonBe

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Hysterectomy or Not? New & need help!!! jupiter14 Hysterectomy 8 02-28-2008 07:14 PM
    Normal Hormone Levels (can it be peri?) naomih Menopause 6 05-20-2006 05:27 PM
    Peri Zappers? Any Luck with them? d38 Menopause 2 01-25-2005 10:59 AM
    Peri/Thyroid?? serbocro Menopause 19 01-24-2005 06:29 PM
    help. need someone to talk to tammy27530 Menopause 16 06-04-2004 06:09 AM
    IBS and Peri--just need to vent ainfante Menopause 25 05-04-2004 03:13 PM
    I think I may be peri menopausal, please tell me so if you know troubledchild Menopause 4 02-18-2004 07:15 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:57 AM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!