It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Why does one have to have the internal shakes with peri?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Why does one have to have the internal shakes with peri?

I'd like to know why one has to have or has the internal shakiness feeling with perimenopause. What hormone is responsible for this? I mean, even when I'm relaxed, not thinking, just chilling out I have the internal shakiness at times. It seems to go away at night and return early in the morning or the middle of the night. Sometimes I wake up and I'm just raged!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    Re: Why does one have to have the internal shakes with peri?

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    I'd like to know why one has to have or has the internal shakiness feeling with perimenopause. What hormone is responsible for this? I mean, even when I'm relaxed, not thinking, just chilling out I have the internal shakiness at times. It seems to go away at night and return early in the morning or the middle of the night. Sometimes I wake up and I'm just raged!
    Hi Andrea,
    If you ever find the answer to this, I'd like to know also. I think the internal shakes were the worse symptom I've ever had. I can totally understand how you are feeling!!! Mine were the worse in the middle of the night and they were so intense that I felt suicidal even. They went away eventually after I've read that the internal shakes is caused from lack of Magnesium. I know you've posted that you get diarrhea from Magnesium, but you might want to try Slow-Mag (brand name). Apparently, there are many different types of Magnesium. Go to their site and read out it. I am taking this now b/c more women seem to be taking this brand to help meno symptoms. You can buy it OTC and it is suppose to not cause diarrhea.

Have a good day, hang in there! Pray you will get rid of those internal shakes soon!!!
    Molly

Old 05-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    Hi Andrea,
    If you ever find the answer to this, I'd like to know also. I think the internal shakes were the worse symptom I've ever had. I can totally understand how you are feeling!!! Mine were the worse in the middle of the night and they were so intense that I felt suicidal even. They went away eventually after I've read that the internal shakes is caused from lack of Magnesium. I know you've posted that you get diarrhea from Magnesium, but you might want to try Slow-Mag (brand name). Apparently, there are many different types of Magnesium. Go to their site and read out it. I am taking this now b/c more women seem to be taking this brand to help meno symptoms. You can buy it OTC and it is suppose to not cause diarrhea.

Have a good day, hang in there! Pray you will get rid of those internal shakes soon!!!
    Molly
    Thanks Molly. I will try this different magnesium. Actually, it's funny, I answered my own question when I picked up the Pause and the answer was right there. It's the beginning sign of the declining of estrogen. This book is really good. I feel okay now, it just gets worse around my period. I'm faithful with the magnesium and the calcium my doc gave me and the multiple. I'm also taking 5 mg. of Prozac, well the generic to it. It does help, but I should probably take the whole 10 mg. I can't wait until I move through some of this. I heard anxiety with peri can last up to 6 months. But I'm not so panicky anymore, not really always anxious, only when my hormones are flippy, LOL So hope I can conquer this internal thing soon, I just hate it. Thanks for responding. I was just reading you post to Penny. It was good and sweet. Glad to have you hear. I don't know why these past two days I'm getting not dizzy, but my equiliberium is off, and that tends to happen before the period. I doubt it is the little 5mg. I'm taking of the Prozac.

Blessings,

Andrea

Old 05-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
    velvet48
    Veteran
    (female)

velvet48 HB User

Well, this is very interesting. I was treated for lyme disease for a year, then developed CFS after that. during my lyme stage, i developed the internal shaking (tremors). my dr has tested me for everything under the sun that he could think of and everything was normal, he couldn't figure out what was causing this.i still have them, it has not been 3 or 4 years been having this going on. i was beginning to wonder if i was nuts!!!!!
    Thank you for posting this, it was very helpful to me.
    karen

Old 05-18-2004, 05:40 PM   #5
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Andrea,
    I don't think it will hurt for you to at least try this Slow-Mag. Kind of expensive for a small bottle and may be hard to find. You have to take about 1,000 mg a day (500 mg at bedtime).

Also, are you doing some kind of exercise? How I would love to lay around and do nothing, but I know exercising has helped a lot. I know that when I started doing these walking tapes everyday (with a real strong fighting determination to get not let peri-meno take over my life), the internal shakes and this weird pins & needles feeling in my left foot started to subside each day. To this day, I am still doing these walking tapes, still taking all the peri-zappers supplements recommended in the "Before the Change" book (no progesterone cream though). Even though I feel pretty darn normal, I am so scare that I will start feeling bad again. I am very interested in getting those books you posted about, "The Pause" and "Panic to Power"....will order it from ******!

Love reading all your posts!
    Molly

Molly

Quote:
    Quote:
    Thanks Molly. I will try this different magnesium. Actually, it's funny, I answered my own question when I picked up the Pause and the answer was right there. It's the beginning sign of the declining of estrogen. This book is really good. I feel okay now, it just gets worse around my period. I'm faithful with the magnesium and the calcium my doc gave me and the multiple. I'm also taking 5 mg. of Prozac, well the generic to it. It does help, but I should probably take the whole 10 mg. I can't wait until I move through some of this. I heard anxiety with peri can last up to 6 months. But I'm not so panicky anymore, not really always anxious, only when my hormones are flippy, LOL So hope I can conquer this internal thing soon, I just hate it. Thanks for responding. I was just reading you post to Penny. It was good and sweet. Glad to have you hear. I don't know why these past two days I'm getting not dizzy, but my equiliberium is off, and that tends to happen before the period. I doubt it is the little 5mg. I'm taking of the Prozac.
    Blessings,

Andrea

Old 05-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #6
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Hi Andrea,
    I don't think it will hurt for you to at least try this Slow-Mag. Kind of expensive for a small bottle and may be hard to find. You have to take about 1,000 mg a day (500 mg at bedtime).

Also, are you doing some kind of exercise? How I would love to lay around and do nothing, but I know exercising has helped a lot. I know that when I started doing these walking tapes everyday (with a real strong fighting determination to get not let peri-meno take over my life), the internal shakes and this weird pins & needles feeling in my left foot started to subside each day. To this day, I am still doing these walking tapes, still taking all the peri-zappers supplements recommended in the "Before the Change" book (no progesterone cream though). Even though I feel pretty darn normal, I am so scare that I will start feeling bad again. I am very interested in getting those books you posted about, "The Pause" and "Panic to Power"....will order it from ******!

Love reading all your posts!
    Molly

Molly
    YOu will love the book, The Pause. You will read it and say, hey that's me! It is so right on. The best I've read cause you're going to relate to it. From Panic to Power is overcoming anxiety, but there are also some good websites too. Actually, I've worked the anxiety out pretty good and I'm still going through the tremor shakes, LOL As far as exercising, well I was doing alot of that up until the end of February when I started getting all nuts, LOL I do some stretches, but you're right, it's time to get on the ball again. I don't sit around, that's for sure. I'm able to relax a little more, but still I've always been an active person. I only get physical tremors when I'm reaching for something or typing. That's ridiculous. Never ever had this before. It get's worse around my period, but then my hormones are not balanced. I spotted last Friday, after having hot flushes for two days and noticed that I was more shakey. I try not to pay attention to it, but then you wonder what you can do to make that balance. I have no clue. But in the Pause, it does explain alot!

Old 05-19-2004, 10:52 AM   #7
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Quote:
    YOu will love the book, The Pause. You will read it and say, hey that's me! It is so right on. The best I've read cause you're going to relate to it. From Panic to Power is overcoming anxiety, but there are also some good websites too. Actually, I've worked the anxiety out pretty good and I'm still going through the tremor shakes, LOL As far as exercising, well I was doing alot of that up until the end of February when I started getting all nuts, LOL I do some stretches, but you're right, it's time to get on the ball again. I don't sit around, that's for sure. I'm able to relax a little more, but still I've always been an active person. I only get physical tremors when I'm reaching for something or typing. That's ridiculous. Never ever had this before. It get's worse around my period, but then my hormones are not balanced. I spotted last Friday, after having hot flushes for two days and noticed that I was more shakey. I try not to pay attention to it, but then you wonder what you can do to make that balance. I have no clue. But in the Pause, it does explain alot!
    I am placing my order with ****** today! Even though I am feeling pretty fine, I am still interested in reading The Pause. I assume you don't get the internal shakes 24/7? Are you feeling any fatigue? I was so fatigue all the time along with the shakes that I could barely walk. Couldn't focus on anything but how horrible I felt. I also would freak out whenever I went out.

When I told myself that since there's so much mention about exercising during peri-meno, I got the Walking Away the Pounds for Abs by Leslie Sansone (and several of her other tapes). Some may think is very easy and boring, but you do sweat and it did help me get started again on doing some exercise without having to go outside to a gym. I do see results - lost inches - legs look more slender. (I am doing an average of 32-36 miles a week not including the time I walk my dog).

Molly

Old 05-19-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    I am placing my order with ****** today! Even though I am feeling pretty fine, I am still interested in reading The Pause. I assume you don't get the internal shakes 24/7? Are you feeling any fatigue? I was so fatigue all the time along with the shakes that I could barely walk. Couldn't focus on anything but how horrible I felt. I also would freak out whenever I went out.

When I told myself that since there's so much mention about exercising during peri-meno, I got the Walking Away the Pounds for Abs by Leslie Sansone (and several of her other tapes). Some may think is very easy and boring, but you do sweat and it did help me get started again on doing some exercise without having to go outside to a gym. I do see results - lost inches - legs look more slender. (I am doing an average of 32-36 miles a week not including the time I walk my dog).

Molly
    That's pretty good Molly, keep going at it. I need to get back to exercising again. No, I don't have the internal shakes 24/7 and sometimes I don't get the internal shakes but my fingers tremble. They don't tremble by my side, only when I use the muscle. Also, If I make a big grin on my face, my lips and cheeks will tremble. Weird, never had this before. Sometimes, my eye twitches, had gotten charlie horses. I asked my gyne about it and she seems to believe they are the jitters due to lowering of estrogen below the mark that I'm use to. I have no clue, but need to go back to my internist to run another urine to see if my UTI is gone. Maybe she will know. I'm tired of running to doctors. I didn't wake up this morning in a fury, like alot of times I do. My period is close, due Sat, I'll see if I get it then. I know I spotted last Friday after having hot flushes for two days. My hot flushes are better but woke up yesterday sweating and feeling real hot and it was chilly outside and in my home. Today, I was so cold, even a few of my fingers were cold and so were my feet. Haven't had this feeling in a while. No, I'm only tired later in the evening. Then I feel almost exhausted. I was getting real nervous energy when this all started, couldn't sleep, hot flushes, cold flushes and then the jitters and spotting and two periods in one month and it was just pure hell! I don't even really feel anxious although sometimes when I feel some of this I want to get anxious but tell myself that it's just my hormones changing, just calm down and move on. So this is where I'm at and I've had this since March. It is almost June. This first time this happened in March, wound up in the ER with anxiety, LOL, thought I was having a heart attack or my thyroid since years ago I had that problem. But my thyroid, ran twice, everyone tells me is normal. Anyways, the next day after the ER, I got my period. Still felt horrible even after I got my period and wound up with a period again two weeks later, then the spotting and the spotting and the hot flushes, used the progesterone creme and that finally brought me back on track. But still have the uneasy feeling in my muscles. I start wondering if I have ASL or MS, but my Mom said I would be feeling and losing my muscles. I don't know Molly, sometimes this stuff just scares me. But I'm doing my best not to get panicky about it.

Old 05-19-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Wow, Andrea! You are going through alot! You seem to be spotting a lot, which I'm sure is nothing serious and probably normal for peri-meno. It seems there are others on thsi board who are also spotting. I can totally understand how you're tired of running to drs. I was the same way last year. It all started with me in August and I didn't feel normal until January 2004. I went to more drs. then I have ever in my lifetime. Everything came back normal (which I'm glad actually). Going to all these drs. were very stressful and scary...I feared the worse and got anxiety over it, and I swear I had every life threatening disease in the medical books! Surfing the net to see if I can analyze my symptoms was also not good for me.

Eventually, I stopped going to drs. and trying to find out what was going on. I finally accepted the fact that I was going through meno, b/c my dr. couldn't tell me what was going on with me anyway, and if I didn't ACCEPT it, I would still be going to dr. to dr. The only thing was that I just didn't know how long it was going to last. I wanted to pull my hair out when I read that it can lasts for 10 years!

I started feeling better when I started coming to terms with everything. I told myself I would figure it all out myself since the drs. couldn't. Got the books, joined couple of meno boards, started to find out I'm not alone (esp. with the internal shakes). Aside from taking all the supplements, exercising, I told myself to stop analyzing and worrying. I have to tell myself (to this day I still do), that it's menopause, it will go away b/c symptoms have come and gone away, that I'm healthy, tough and I'm not going to die from it. However, I'm 51 and I might be in a different stage than you and some of the other ladies here.

Andrea, don't even think that you have ALS or MS! I think if you had something serious, your condition would be constant. You have only been feeling bad for about 3 months....I bet you will start feeling better soon. Your hormones probably hasn't stablized yet...Hang in there, girl!

Molly

Quote:
    Quote:
    That's pretty good Molly, keep going at it. I need to get back to exercising again. No, I don't have the internal shakes 24/7 and sometimes I don't get the internal shakes but my fingers tremble. They don't tremble by my side, only when I use the muscle. Also, If I make a big grin on my face, my lips and cheeks will tremble. Weird, never had this before. Sometimes, my eye twitches, had gotten charlie horses. I asked my gyne about it and she seems to believe they are the jitters due to lowering of estrogen below the mark that I'm use to. I have no clue, but need to go back to my internist to run another urine to see if my UTI is gone. Maybe she will know. I'm tired of running to doctors. I didn't wake up this morning in a fury, like alot of times I do. My period is close, due Sat, I'll see if I get it then. I know I spotted last Friday after having hot flushes for two days. My hot flushes are better but woke up yesterday sweating and feeling real hot and it was chilly outside and in my home. Today, I was so cold, even a few of my fingers were cold and so were my feet. Haven't had this feeling in a while. No, I'm only tired later in the evening. Then I feel almost exhausted. I was getting real nervous energy when this all started, couldn't sleep, hot flushes, cold flushes and then the jitters and spotting and two periods in one month and it was just pure hell! I don't even really feel anxious although sometimes when I feel some of this I want to get anxious but tell myself that it's just my hormones changing, just calm down and move on. So this is where I'm at and I've had this since March. It is almost June. This first time this happened in March, wound up in the ER with anxiety, LOL, thought I was having a heart attack or my thyroid since years ago I had that problem. But my thyroid, ran twice, everyone tells me is normal. Anyways, the next day after the ER, I got my period. Still felt horrible even after I got my period and wound up with a period again two weeks later, then the spotting and the spotting and the hot flushes, used the progesterone creme and that finally brought me back on track. But still have the uneasy feeling in my muscles. I start wondering if I have ASL or MS, but my Mom said I would be feeling and losing my muscles. I don't know Molly, sometimes this stuff just scares me. But I'm doing my best not to get panicky about it.

Old 05-19-2004, 07:14 PM   #10
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Molly. I'm trying to hang in there. My breasts are so soar right now, anything and I mean anything irritates them. I haven't had soar breasts like this in a long time. Actually, two months or so ago, I noticed my breasts sagging. How estrogen is that? LOL I also found out that we can't go by the blood tests for estrogen because our fat and receptors store extra estrogen, nice ehh? So maybe better to take saliva test. Boy, I'm getting so knowledgeable I could open my own practice. But feel better than I know more than I did 3 months ago. The only thing that seems to be constant with me is the finger trembles, LOL. It gets mild and then I notice it increases when I am having hot flashes or flushes. I don't always perspire with my hot flashes so I call them flushes. My girlfriend who lost her period about 4 years ago and is only 37 is now going through the dizziness, puffy legs, hot flashes in her foot, legs, back and also she is getting joint pains like in the knees. She's had this for awhile, but now she is getting hot flushes. She doesn't feel anxious, just feels like she's losing it with all these symptoms, plus she has the gastro on and off, lol Doesnt' that sound familiar?
    I'm eating an apple right now hoping it will give me a little more estrogen, naturally, LOL

Anyways, took your advice and did a little exercising this evening, alot of stretches right now. Everything felt okay, not so much muscle weakness as before but I did notice that when I put my arms back behind my back which I use to do alot in Yoga, my shoulders were trembling along with my arms. So the outward tremble comes from muscle movement and the inner shakiness comes with hormone surges or hot flushes, I noticed. Anyways, I will keep going on, coach and I appreciate you standing by my side every step of the way. Thanks friend for your support.

Andrea

Old 05-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #11
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Quote:
    Quote:
    Thanks Molly. I'm trying to hang in there. My breasts are so soar right now, anything and I mean anything irritates them. I haven't had soar breasts like this in a long time. Actually, two months or so ago, I noticed my breasts sagging. How estrogen is that? LOL I also found out that we can't go by the blood tests for estrogen because our fat and receptors store extra estrogen, nice ehh? So maybe better to take saliva test. Boy, I'm getting so knowledgeable I could open my own practice. But feel better than I know more than I did 3 months ago. The only thing that seems to be constant with me is the finger trembles, LOL. It gets mild and then I notice it increases when I am having hot flashes or flushes. I don't always perspire with my hot flashes so I call them flushes. My girlfriend who lost her period about 4 years ago and is only 37 is now going through the dizziness, puffy legs, hot flashes in her foot, legs, back and also she is getting joint pains like in the knees. She's had this for awhile, but now she is getting hot flushes. She doesn't feel anxious, just feels like she's losing it with all these symptoms, plus she has the gastro on and off, lol Doesnt' that sound familiar?
    I'm eating an apple right now hoping it will give me a little more estrogen, naturally, LOL

Anyways, took your advice and did a little exercising this evening, alot of stretches right now. Everything felt okay, not so much muscle weakness as before but I did notice that when I put my arms back behind my back which I use to do alot in Yoga, my shoulders were trembling along with my arms. So the outward tremble comes from muscle movement and the inner shakiness comes with hormone surges or hot flushes, I noticed. Anyways, I will keep going on, coach and I appreciate you standing by my side every step of the way. Thanks friend for your support.

Andrea
    Hey Andrea,
    Do you have the the "Before the Change" book? If so, go to page 153 where she suggested the following for breast tenderness:

Evening Primrose Oil (helps 3 out of 4 women). Vitamin E most always help. Also the following herbal remedies: chasteberry decoction or tincture; fennel seed and sage tea; and marshmallow! (can you believe she says "marshmallow!!")

I had sore boobs long time ago. Think I cut back on coffee and made sure my bra fit right. Went away after a few days. Probably not the same thing you are going through....

Also, I do think you are very knowledgeable!! Maybe you should open your own business! LOL! I'm be your patient! You will probably be more helpful than the drs. some of us are going to right now anyway. You seem to also retain what you read! I have to keep referring to the books!

Oh, maybe your fingers are trembling from typing?? LOL! Keep posting - you come up with great subject matters.

Molly

Old 05-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #12
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Hey Andrea,
    Do you have the the "Before the Change" book? If so, go to page 153 where she suggested the following for breast tenderness:

Evening Primrose Oil (helps 3 out of 4 women). Vitamin E most always help. Also the following herbal remedies: chasteberry decoction or tincture; fennel seed and sage tea; and marshmallow! (can you believe she says "marshmallow!!")

I had sore boobs long time ago. Think I cut back on coffee and made sure my bra fit right. Went away after a few days. Probably not the same thing you are going through....

Also, I do think you are very knowledgeable!! Maybe you should open your own business! LOL! I'm be your patient! You will probably be more helpful than the drs. some of us are going to right now anyway. You seem to also retain what you read! I have to keep referring to the books!

Oh, maybe your fingers are trembling from typing?? LOL! Keep posting - you come up with great subject matters.

Molly

Hi friend. You make me laugh. Thanks for all your support.

Andrea

Old 05-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #13
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

The more I read the posting on this site the more I learn something new. I use to get those internal shakes, that I called the jitters, when I was having panic attacks 24/7. Even after the panic attacks stopped it took awhile before the jitters subsided.

I've been dealing with the dizziness (spacey drunk feeling) for some time now. My ankles and fingers keep swelling. I thought that was related to the excess weight that I've picked up over the last two years. I really despise these excess pounds, an I plan on getting rid of these extra 50+ pounds.

Thanks ladies for being so honest, and I hope that we will begin to feel better soon. Maybe one day we will be able to look back and find some humor in all of this...hey, it could happen .

Old 05-28-2004, 06:41 PM   #14
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hopefully
    The more I read the posting on this site the more I learn something new. I use to get those internal shakes, that I called the jitters, when I was having panic attacks 24/7. Even after the panic attacks stopped it took awhile before the jitters subsided.

I've been dealing with the dizziness (spacey drunk feeling) for some time now. My ankles and fingers keep swelling. I thought that was related to the excess weight that I've picked up over the last two years. I really despise these excess pounds, an I plan on getting rid of these extra 50+ pounds.

Thanks ladies for being so honest, and I hope that we will begin to feel better soon. Maybe one day we will be able to look back and find some humor in all of this...hey, it could happen .
    Hi there. Yep, that's what the internal shakes come from, anxiety. The declining of estrogen (which is the main hormone to feel good, brain hormone, ovaries, stomach, bladder, breasts, heart and central nervous system) and when it declines below it's set point that it had accomplished over the years, the body begins to pull on the estrogen receptors such as the organs I've mentioned above. This is why the body feels so uncomfortable and so does the mind. When a women get's peri or meno with anxiety, then she will have the internal shakes and reading other post elsewhere, many women have this. My gyne totally understands and doesn't seem surprised by the shakes. She's even witnessed my fingers trembling, etc. Don't forget about the muscle twitches and the electrical shocks under the skin, LOL The reason perimenopause swings emotionally and physically is because if you do get an ovulation in there every now and then, then the estrogen climbs, then let's say you don't ovulate again for months, you might go through similar estrogen withdrawals as we have menitoned on this board. I just got my period today, of course it's dark red and light and very very crampy. The last two months have been so full of major cramps and I use the natural progesterone creme. I'm even having hot flashes again through this period, which I didn't have before 3 months ago. My gyne gave me Remefin which I haven't started yet since Im taking so much stuff right now, told her I have to graduate into these things. And of course, my period just ripped the IBS, so yesterday, this morning and this evening. I expected that, it use to do that with PMS too but this Peri is having a field day. The thing is, I've gotten alot of it under control and then when the hot flushes begin and more internal shakes around my period, it feels like I'm starting all over again. Look forward to chatting with you again. At least the vitamins have helped greatly with the brain fog and so has Prozac.
    Andrea

Closed Thread