It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Has anyone else had a terrible amount of weight gain with peri?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2004, 03:25 AM   #1
    mtngrl57

mtngrl57 HB User
    Has anyone else had a terrible amount of weight gain with peri?

I have gained 20 pounds in the two years since I lost my mom unexpectidly.
    It happened that I gained that weight after starting to take Lexapro so I thought all of the weight gain was because of that. Well, after finding this board I realize that I may no be as crazy as I was beginning to feel that I am.

I have not been able to do anything to shed any weight! It is so frustrating! I have gone months without a period and now I get one that has gone on for 7 weeks with three days that I didn't bleed at all. Alot of it is what many would probably call spotting. I do pass large clots and then bleed a little bit and then go til the next day without anything until evening again.

I have one of the books that others have spoke of, called, Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause. I have purchased Vit. with Clacium, Mag. and Zinc in it recently. Now I read to take the Calcium and Mag at seperate times! I have purchased some progesterone cream (I think the cream I bought is not going to be a very good one) and also just started taking Rejuvex. I was pretty light headed at times yesterday and I am not sure what was going on. Have the bloating that makes me feel fatter than I already feel. I have been a person who had weighted up to 145 pounds at nine months pregnant. Now I am 197 and I lost 7 pounds in 7 weeks and I am not sure how!

My hsuband and I haven't been on the same page, so to speak, for a very long time.His mother has complained so much about being sick the whole time he grew up that he just has no feeling for anyone around here that are not feeling good. On the other hand, when he had a cold the week before last, you would have thought he was dieing! He is Jekyl and Hyde.

The weight gain is bothering me a lot. Other things are also but no matter what I do, I haven't been able to shed the weight.

Help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: Has anyone else had a terrible amount of weight gain with peri?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtngrl57
    I have gained 20 pounds in the two years since I lost my mom unexpectidly.
    It happened that I gained that weight after starting to take Lexapro so I thought all of the weight gain was because of that. Well, after finding this board I realize that I may no be as crazy as I was beginning to feel that I am.

I have not been able to do anything to shed any weight! It is so frustrating! I have gone months without a period and now I get one that has gone on for 7 weeks with three days that I didn't bleed at all. Alot of it is what many would probably call spotting. I do pass large clots and then bleed a little bit and then go til the next day without anything until evening again.

I have one of the books that others have spoke of, called, Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause. I have purchased Vit. with Clacium, Mag. and Zinc in it recently. Now I read to take the Calcium and Mag at seperate times! I have purchased some progesterone cream (I think the cream I bought is not going to be a very good one) and also just started taking Rejuvex. I was pretty light headed at times yesterday and I am not sure what was going on. Have the bloating that makes me feel fatter than I already feel. I have been a person who had weighted up to 145 pounds at nine months pregnant. Now I am 197 and I lost 7 pounds in 7 weeks and I am not sure how!

My hsuband and I haven't been on the same page, so to speak, for a very long time.His mother has complained so much about being sick the whole time he grew up that he just has no feeling for anyone around here that are not feeling good. On the other hand, when he had a cold the week before last, you would have thought he was dieing! He is Jekyl and Hyde.

The weight gain is bothering me a lot. Other things are also but no matter what I do, I haven't been able to shed the weight.

Help?
    You sound like me last year and the year before. I gained over 20 lbs. in two years and could not, and mean could not! shed a pound even after exercising and exercising to get it off. My brother passed away in Feb, but I was already losing weight, then he passed away and now I've lost about 19 lbs. since Feb. I'm feeling lousy from peri, don't have the clots yet, but have light periods which have been going on for a long time, came more frequent, spotting, hot flushes, muscle cramps, muscle weakness, muscle twitches, shakiness, you name it, I experienced it with ovulatory shutdown as my gyne puts it. You are totally perimenopause. How old are you? I know exactly what you mean about they hubby thing, although I'm the one who is shutting out mine. I decided to go to therapy, love my therapist and it's been wonderful to share, she also has gone through menopause. I take 5mg of Prozac, my gyne put me on it, it seems to help with the anxiety, but I still get the edge when my period is coming. My endo calls it perimenopause with anxiety. Boy is she right. It seems that every 2 years I go through some major change with peri. Yours will pass. I know how hard it is to sometimes move passed it since it definitely stands in our way, but just tell yourself it's your hormones, it's natural what you are going through and it will not harm you. I get the dizziness too, well it's more like equiliberium off balance sort of thing. I remember two years ago, I bled on and off for 4 months. All they could come up with was perimenopause. We are in it for quite sometime, you know, but it has different stages. I hope this helps.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:37 AM   #3
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Boy Howdy! I spent my 40's in perimenopause and added 80+ pounds! It didn't help that I had a very sedentary job and dropped bicycling in favor of sailing.
    But the typical metabolic slow down of perimenopause sure contributed! Finding Gittleman's peri-zappers and later, her Fat Flush Plan, have given me back my slim, bouncy life (not ta mention va-voooom! energy ).
    I'm wearing size 8's (after years in size 18! ) and feel like a million bucks!
    So there's hope out there, dear. But if you think you're going to lose weight eating the same old things and doing the same old exercising, I think perimenopause will have an unhappy effect on that game plan.

best wishes,

charli
    highest wt: 233
    203/146/146 on the Fat Flush Plan for life
    menopausal and perky to the max!

Old 05-23-2004, 11:37 AM   #4
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by csoar2004
    Boy Howdy! I spent my 40's in perimenopause and added 80+ pounds! It didn't help that I had a very sedentary job and dropped bicycling in favor of sailing.
    But the typical metabolic slow down of perimenopause sure contributed! Finding Gittleman's peri-zappers and later, her Fat Flush Plan, have given me back my slim, bouncy life (not ta mention va-voooom! energy ).
    So there's hope out there, dear. But if you think you're going to lose weight eating the same old things and doing the same old exercising, I think perimenopause will have an unhappy effect on that game plan.

best wishes,

charli
    Good for you Charlie. I lost 18-19 lbs. since Feb and that was just going through the peri change and also cut out all sugars and fats.

Old 05-23-2004, 12:58 PM   #5
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    Good for you Charlie. I lost 18-19 lbs. since Feb and that was just going through the peri change and also cut out all sugars and fats.
    Woohooooooooo! Good for you!! Now...if we could just get the rest of your issues sorted out....<bring me my thinking cap, Sherman>

Old 05-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #6
    BonBe
    (female)

BonBe HB User

yeah for Bullwinkle Show Charli - Peabody and Sherman.....

Bonnie

Old 05-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #7
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BonBe
    yeah for Bullwinkle Show Charli - Peabody and Sherman.....

Bonnie
    LOL! Yep! Peabody and his boy, Sherman ("the 'way-back' machine is ready, Mr. Peabody!")

Old 05-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
    mtngrl57

mtngrl57 HB User

You ladys are great!

Old 05-25-2004, 06:14 AM   #9
    mtngrl57

mtngrl57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by csoar2004

best wishes,

charli

What is the Fat Flush Plan? I am 47, I think, uh yup 47, I tend to forget, which isn't all that bad of a thing to forget. Although by not paying attention to my age, I have been blindsided by peri!

I have lost 6 pounds in 7 weeks. Not enough for me to really feel good but it is a start. I haven't been taking my Lexapro which I know is probably
    a

I have quite a bit on my plate so to speak, right now, with a fourth graduation and a child just starting physical theropy after three surgeries. I am trying to take care of myself so I can be good for all of them but there seems to be so much stress around this place that I get so down that I can't seem to bring myself back up very well. I can't seem to talk with my husband about anything. He gets defensive and mad at me. Which he seems to be more of the time. Unless others are around. I feel like crap today I guess. It is hard to get motivated to excersise today. We have had ran for weeks now so the weather has been a downer too!

Help!

Old 05-25-2004, 06:48 AM   #10
    csoar2004
    Inactive

csoar2004 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mtngrl57
    What is the Fat Flush Plan? I am 47, I think, uh yup 47, I tend to forget, which isn't all that bad of a thing to forget. Although by not paying attention to my age, I have been blindsided by peri!
    Well, in a nutshell, the Fat Flush Plan is a sensible, healthy diet with a liver detox on one end (the liver is your major fat processing organ) and a lifestyle phase on the other end. It's a low carb (think: no highly processed stuff like box dinners, cereal, chips, etc.), moderate fat and LOTS of fiber eating plan. It continues many of the peri-zappers (flax seed oil, evening primrose oil, etc.) so it really helps to keep perimenopause symptoms in check.
    Quote:
    I have quite a bit on my plate so to speak, right now, with a fourth graduation and a child just starting physical theropy after three surgeries. I am trying to take care of myself so I can be good for all of them but there seems to be so much stress around this place that I get so down that I can't seem to bring myself back up very well.
    stress sucks. It results in lots of cortisol (stress hormone) in your system which sorta guarantees a weight gain at some point. What you need, babe, is a nice long aromatherapy bath (didja know peppermint oil helps suppress appetite?). If you don't take care of yourself, then you won't have the energy to take care of your family. You DESERVE a little down time.
    Quote:
    I can't seem to talk with my husband about anything. He gets defensive and mad at me. Which he seems to be more of the time. Unless others are around.
    Sometimes those closest to us simply reflect our own attitudes back at us Often times they are feeling just as overwhelmed and stressed. And then there are those times where they are just being jerks. Figuring out which is which can be a trick. Being the bold, obnoxious sort, I go for the jugular every time. Been known to corner my DH and insist on having things out. Also been known to wine n dine 'im (the sneaky approach - heh heh). Generally though, I don't like to go to bed with a guy who appears angry with me. Makes me nervous. LOL. My guy is the shy norwegian type so I've found that the "how can I help you, babe?" approach works best with him (has a block against talking about his "feelings" - must be a testosterone thing).
    The way I look at it, I could tiptoe around the guy and make up all kinds of horrific reasons he seems to be unhappy, or I can just ask him. Better to know than to imagine. That's my motto.
    Hope your day gets better. Find a reason to laugh. Life is just too short to spend it any other way!

best wishes and hugs,
    charli

Closed Thread