It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• peri/menopause symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User
    peri/menopause symptoms

I was curious what symptoms each of you have and at what age did you start feeling them? I feel like I'm going nuts as to whether this is perimenopuse or just bad panic/anxiety. I'm almost 43. Also does anyone know if thyroid desease will make you go through menopause sooner?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2004, 04:40 PM   #2
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User
    Re: peri/menopause symptoms

Hi, I started having syptoms when I was 38 or so. Didn't realize what it was. I hit 40 and it got worse and now am 45 and it is different but still going thru alot of changes. The doctor said I was peri but am wondering if it is getting more menopause. I used to have some weird stuff. Achy legs,arms. Heart papitations, Get cold easy in the summer,
    Let me see. Face jaw hurts... skin crawling, Periods all messed up. Libdo all messed up. Dont have any desire. Right now I am just nervous alot and my IBS is worse and My periods are really messed up. Less and more and in April had none. I know that sounds blick... but it isn't that bad. I had been on HRT and got off of it. Hope this helps.I don't know anything about thyroid though but at first my doctor checked me for that and I didn't have it.
    Polly

Last edited by snodove; 06-07-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Old 06-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snodove
    Hi, I started having syptoms when I was 38 or so. Didn't realize what it was. I hit 40 and it got worse and now am 45 and it is different but still going thru alot of changes. The doctor said I was peri but am wondering if it is getting more menopause. I used to have some weird stuff. Achy legs,arms. Heart papitations, Get cold easy in the summer,
    Let me see. Face jaw hurts... skin crawling, Periods all messed up. Libdo all messed up. Dont have any desire. Right now I am just nervous alot and my IBS is worse and My periods are really messed up. Less and more and in April had none. I know that sounds blick... but it isn't that bad. I had been on HRT and got off of it. Hope this helps.I don't know anything about thyroid though but at first my doctor checked me for that and I didn't have it.
    Polly
    We sound so much alike, all of us. My endo who I went to see about my thyroid calls it, "Perimenopause with anxiety." I said, really, it can cause all of this! And the said, "Yes! It can be real rough sometimes." That's no lie! I hate this trembley nervousness.

Andrea

Old 06-07-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

Yes it's awful. It starts taking over your life. Simple things become hard. God bless you all!!

Old 06-07-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacqbu
    Yes it's awful. It starts taking over your life. Simple things become hard. God bless you all!!

I'm going to call you Jac. Listen, you are not alone. If you ever feel just like times are so rough, just come on and chat with us here on the meno or the anxiety boards. Just remember to ground when having any attacks of panic/or anxiety. It will break it up. Also, don't struggle with this by yourself. They have many support groups for anxiety/panic or even menopause. We are not the only women or people going through this, but it's rough, I know. Go work with someone with it. Just because you go and talk and discover things about yourself you had no idea that you buried, will make you feel better and not only that, you will learn to work with anxiety to break it, that way in the future, when meno might get a bit harder, you will know exactly what to do. Now, I know it's hard making it through the days sometimes with this jittery/nervousness we get, but the more you keep moving, the less it will bother you. The more you begin to ground, the less attacks will happen. Also, if you need to take meds, don't stop yourself, let them work for you. I know the anti-depressants give you side effects, but we have already so many side effects from anxiety. If you need to take an anti-anxiety drug, and I don't like drugs, and would never push them on anyone, but you can't just beat yourself into the ground with this anxiety. Anxiety with perimenopause can last up to 6 months. Now if you are having extra anxiety due to changing thinking patterns, well that can last for awhile, that's why I'm saying go to a support group or therapy and change it all.

Blessings and hugs,

Andrea

Old 06-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Jacbu,

I can relate too...it just is a very frustrating time. For me I think in retrospect I started having symptoms when I was 43 or 44 (I just turned 50). I had some earlier periods...like 23 or 24 days rather than the 28 to 30 that the cycle used to be at that time.

For me it has been more PMS symtpoms : moodiness, anxiety to the max at times and some IBS before my period and sometimes other times during my cycle. If you are reading the posts you see that a lot of people have this type of thing and hopefully that helps in some way . It does for me.

We just got back from vacation last week , a 2 week vacation and I have not been online much, so hi to KC and Ainfante too as I was chatting with them a bit before I left!! The vacation was great and did a world of wonders for me. I did not dwell on anything during the trip and had to take the xanax only when i flew. I will not hesitate to take it though for anxiety as that is what I was prescribed it for and my doctor and gyn both said the anxiety is part of peri.

I have been taking religiously for a month : a Vitamin B supplement and also a vitamin mineral supplement (over the counter) called Estroven. It sounds like there would be estrogen in it but it is just supplements no hormones. It seems to be helping me ...that is the only explanation I have found for the fact that I am doing better. I have less and less of the IBS situation , just right before my period I get some Diarhhea which is typical for me with cramps, typical period stuff. But the gassy type of stuff I was dealing with in March and early April I do not have, thankfully. I was taking Metamucil wafers and I really think it was too much in addition to other fiber I was getting and I hear that can cause more gas.

I also have just been trying to not dwell too much on it all and it for some odd reason seems to be working. Also doing more exercise and pilates. So perhaps that is part of it, keeping moving.

I sometimes get worried it is going to all come back where I was in March but I know it is all peri and so now I have an explanation and can deal with it better if it does.

Hope this helps. I know this board has been a big help too.

rmc

Old 06-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #7
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

Yes this board and the people have been a great help. I ordered a saliva test to do to check my hormones. You know how it is you practually have to diagnose yourself these days and show the doctor. I thank everyone for their help.

Old 06-08-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Jac it sure can mess you up. I feel for you. I hope you can get to feeling better.
    It helps to have support that is for sure. Blessings. Polly

Old 06-08-2004, 05:07 PM   #9
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I am in peri-menopause and have not had a period for 80 days now ( that's 3 months for me). One of the symptoms I get each month as though I am getting my period is the tender breasts, the swolen stomach, the pain in my ovaries, the edginess, everything PMS. I think my period os going to come and it feels like it for at least a week, then nothing. Has anyone has these symptoms and are they common- to feel like you are going to get a period? Also what's with the larger then life breasts and the pop-out belly all the time?

Old 06-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #10
    snodove
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snodove HB User

Hi Jac, That is about true about Dx yourself. My blood work for hormones turned out ok but I still am in Perimenopause I have to be. I am thinking about getting a home test too. Polly

Old 06-08-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

RMC12: Hi and welcome back. As you can see by reading the posts, we are pretty much where we were when you left, LOL What did help your anxeity was the Estroven, probably the B's (glad you could stomach them) but most of all, you did not pay attention to your anxiety. That is probably one of the most difficult things to do and you did it! Congrads! Tell us all about your vacation first before we just start to vent again, let us have a vacation wtih you.

Andrea

Old 06-09-2004, 05:44 AM   #12
    kc1216
    Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Hi RMC - sounds like you had a good vacation! Sometimes it does the body good just to get away. We are going to bike week on Friday - I can't wait - don't care if it rains or whatever - just want to get away from home. Kids are getting on my nerves in a major way. NO kids this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY
    kc

Old 06-09-2004, 08:01 AM   #13
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by armadillo pie
    I am in peri-menopause and have not had a period for 80 days now ( that's 3 months for me). One of the symptoms I get each month as though I am getting my period is the tender breasts, the swolen stomach, the pain in my ovaries, the edginess, everything PMS. I think my period os going to come and it feels like it for at least a week, then nothing. Has anyone has these symptoms and are they common- to feel like you are going to get a period? Also what's with the larger then life breasts and the pop-out belly all the time?
    I heard from friends I know who have this exact same thing going on, yeah, it's normal.

Old 06-09-2004, 08:24 AM   #14
    kc1216
    Veteran

kc1216 HB User

That used to happen to me until I got on the bc pill. I thought my ovaries were taking turns. It would feel like I was getting it for like a week and then nothing. The following week I'd get it and it would hurt on one side and then the week after that I'd get spotting and it would hurt on the other side. Before all that, I used to bleed profusely and then the other stuff started to happen.

kc

Old 06-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #15
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Ainfante and KC,

Thanks for the welcome back and for asking about my vacation!! It was truly wonderful...10 days in Disneyworld which is such a magical place and my husband and I had not been there in 10 years. We rendezvoused with friends there and had a great time and had time to ourselves to which was wonderful. My favorites there are MGM theme park and the World Showcase in Epcot...really beautiful. We stayed right in the Disney complex at a resort there and had a really fun time, were on the go alot and my ankle actually came back stronger from all the walking we did. From there we visited family in Florida and went to the Keys for an overnight and then to Miami for the day. Had a special time visiting family and the whole trip was very memorable.
    Hard to get back to the swing of things!!

I think one of you said you thought the B vitamins were helping anxiety wise and I think so too from what I read. Also you said that the fact that I did not pay attention to the anxiety helped too. I totally agree. I do not know why now I can do that and I couldn't in March or early April, but I am glad for it!! I did get the book the Pause and I think that helped me with realizing that the symptoms are all normal. My gyn and doctor have told me that but sometime we need to see it in black and white and also read what others are going through too which is where all of you come in and I thank you for the help you continually give me.

I am on day 27 and so my period should be coming any day. I usually get it anywhere from 24 to 28 days but last month it was on day 31. So who knows. I did have the usual cramps last month with it but those I can deal with as I 've always had that. But I seem to be better this month PMS wise and I am grateful for that.

KC : have a great time on the bike week!! It is good to get away and I think it did wonders for me. Although we got away for a long weekend in April and it did not have the same effect on me so I am sure the supplements I have been taking did kick in finally!!

Hope you both are having a good week and thanks again for your welcome back!!

rmc

Closed Thread