It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Night Sweats/ hot flashes ONLY as night

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-12-2004, 03:11 PM   #1
    jcorn59483
    Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
    Night Sweats/ hot flashes ONLY at night or early morning?

I've been reading the posts here and it seems that most people seem to have hot flashes and sweats at any time of day. Does anyone else have them ONLY at night or upon waking in the morning? I wake up soaked through and really hot. Even if I turn on the air conditioning, I am very hot and sweaty, even when my husband says it is "freezing". It has really been scaring me and also I am extremely tired. Is this normal?

Last edited by jcorn59483; 06-12-2004 at 03:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2004, 07:30 AM   #2
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)

nornie HB User
    Re: Night Sweats/ hot flashes ONLY at night or early morning?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcorn59483
    I've been reading the posts here and it seems that most people seem to have hot flashes and sweats at any time of day. Does anyone else have them ONLY at night or upon waking in the morning? I wake up soaked through and really hot. Even if I turn on the air conditioning, I am very hot and sweaty, even when my husband says it is "freezing". It has really been scaring me and also I am extremely tired. Is this normal?
    That's actually how mine started - only as night sweats. That went on for about a year. I still seem to get them at the same time of day which is weird. No matter how hot it is in the house (and we've had some really hot weather lately - but just getting hot from hot weather is completely different from a hot flash) I don't get a real "hot flash" until 9pm, almost like clockwork every day, not matter what the weather is like outside. A girlfriend of mine once told me that she got hers at the same time every day, which at the time I thought was weird, not having experienced any yet, and wouldn't you know - now I'm doing the same thing.

Tiredness is also a symptom of perimenopause. Are you experiencing any changes in your cycle as well?

Nornie

Old 06-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #3
    jcorn59483
    Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User
    Re: Night Sweats/ hot flashes ONLY as night

It is a little hard to tell about my cycles as I had a hysterectomy 19 years ago but they left in my ovaries. I know this can bring on earlier menopause, even with ovaries left in, but I did not have symptoms until recently, now that I'm 50. This could be normal in my family because my mother didn't start having children until her 40's and didn't go into menopause until her 50's. So even though I had a relatively early hysterectomy (due to heavy, uncontrollable bleeding to the point where I could not leave my house), my menopause may be on track.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
    Sandy Mae

Sandy Mae HB User

Hi, I am going through menopause and I have night sweats. I will wake up out of a sound sleep and be wet all over, even with the air conditioner on. It is normal. I haven't had a period for 2 months, hopefully I will go another 10 months without one, and then I will be through. I am 46 soon to be 47. I have a terrible time. I like my coffee and that will cause hot flashes. I like spaghetti sauces and tomatoes and they will cause hot flashes. Its fun getting older, isn't it? I am very emotional now and will just about cry at anything that seems important enough to cry about. I don't like that part of it at all. I am taking hormones and they really do help. Most of the time at night, I don't even cover up with a blanket anymore, just a sheet. It's just to hot for me. I am freezing my husband to death. Sandy Mae

Old 06-13-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
    jcorn59483
    Inactive

jcorn59483 HB User

It has been so good to hear from you two! Honestly, there were times I thought I was having a heart attack because of al lthe sweating - but then, I didn't have the other symptoms of a heart attack so it didn't make sense (although sometimes it would bother me so much, my heart would speed up a little). Oddly enough, the sweating is heaviest late night or when I wake up in the morning and I am NEVER cold.
    I have some emotional highs and lows too but I find that I can do pretty well at night if I have a bit of chamomile or other soothing tea before bed (or even a glass of warm, lactose-free milk). I know milk can cause problems but so far, so good. Very, very occasionally (once a month at most) I may take a Valium or Xanax if I feel particularly stressed...but I am so afraid of drugs that I try to avoid that.

Old 06-13-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
    nornie
    Veteran
    (female)

nornie HB User

Yeah, sounds like you are right on track with menopause stuff. The ovaries are the main culprits of meno, so since you still have them you will still get all the same symptoms. I was thinking back more, and even before I started with the real night sweats, I remembered how as soon as my head would hit the pillow, my face would get all hot - not sweaty - just hot like a really severe blush. Must have been pre-pre-menopause! Then the full-body night sweats started months later. Most of my women friends who were having them complained how it would wake them up and they couldn't sleep - I had such incredible fatigue that I would wake up, think "god I'm soaked" and fall right back to sleep! Three years later the night sweats have lessened (not disappeared) but now I'm not sleeping as soundly and generally do have trouble getting back to sleep when they occur. Fun, ain't it?

Nornie

Old 06-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I have the nightsweats at times too and I never get hot flashes during the day. So guess we are all different as we all hear a lot I know about hot flashes and it seems that people talk about having them during the day. When I have got them at first, my heart would race and as you mentioned you feel very very warm. Now I usually just wake up knowing I had one as I feel the back of my neck and hair wet. I do not have them all the time and have not had one in awhile.

I too take the xanax as needed and I understand how you feel as I was not too pleased to have to take it when the gyn suggested it. But it is only as needed and if it helps then I feel it is a good thing. I have not had to take it this month so far.

rmc

Old 06-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #8
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I started getting hot flashes when my ovaries shut down months ago. I still get my period, but it's been lighter for quite sometime now and now it accompany's pain and black blood, then it will get dark red, and taper off to black blood. I get the hot flashes anytime, they are much better now,but they will come on, up my stomach, chest and then head, I get beat red. I don't always sweat with them, but at night I sure do. My heart races, similar to an anxiety attack, and I just try to breath through them. At first, they scared me and wound up in ER, they gave me Xanax. I only take Xanax when I need it, just a pinch.

Andrea

Old 06-15-2004, 08:54 AM   #9
    kc1216
    Veteran

kc1216 HB User

Hi, only at night for me too. It used to start a week before my period but now it's only while I have it. I wake up SOAKED! - at least 3x a night.

kc

Old 06-15-2004, 09:26 AM   #10
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Boy, did I wake up soaked last night and knew I was having a hot flash cause I could feel it. I just calmed myself down and then got back under the blankets. Had the air conditioning on too, go figure.

Andrea

Old 06-16-2004, 08:57 PM   #11
    Asleep
    Inactive

Asleep HB User

Have you tried flaxseed oil? That has helped me tremendously with night sweats. I take the capsules - 1000mg a day right before bed. Just a thought.

Closed Thread