It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• lets do a study, list symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-24-2004, 10:19 PM   #31
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    Re: lets do a study, list symptoms

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ainfante
    It doesn't give you diarrhea? I'm noticing that the slow mag regulates my bowels pretty darn good for someone who has IBS.

Andrea
    I was wondering how you were doing with the Slow-Mag. Glad to hear it seems to be better for you.

molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2004, 04:09 AM   #32
    Moxie75
    Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Well for me I wake up every morning regular but it does not last all day so I'm good with it...Lisa

Old 06-25-2004, 12:37 PM   #33
    LRW

LRW HB User

I'm a late comer to this but better late than never.

49 years old
    No period for at least 100 days
    Hot flashes and sweat breakout on face mainly
    Interupted sleep usually wake up around 3 am
    Lacking in energy
    Back pain like arthritis which only wakes me - do not reallly have this pain when up and about
    I also have ulcerative colitis - so suffer bloating etc

Thats it so far
    LRW

Old 06-26-2004, 05:03 AM   #34
    Laurie2
    Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

52 and its been 10 years since I went through it all. But still have some symptoms

Right now it's:

Insomina (why I am on the computer so late at night til early morning)
    Dont sleep as much when I do (work at home)
    Dry skin...especially on the hands and feet.
    Itchy skin....hands and feet.
    Crawly skin....sometimes...hate that too
    Skin thinning...lack of estrogen causes that and lowering of Growth Hormone. HGH suppliments and exercise has brought some of this back.
    Morning aches and pains
    Heat and cold temps affect me more now than used to. Although I have warm hands.

Loss of sex drive.... too dry down there and the walls are thinner one reason...it hurts if my husband is too eager and foreplay is not long enough although he is caring.
    Irritable at times.
    Some foods not "agreeing' with me anymore
    Flatulance, yep....
    Anxiety...in the beginning

Losing weight and diet was changed for the better when I took a year's worth of college lifting classes to lost the pounds when I turned 50. My energy went up and gone went any fuzzy thinking, feeling off balance or dizziness after starting this. Especially the "blues" but never had much problem with this to begin with. Always did find positive ways to recover from depression.

The lifting helps keep the pituitary gland producing HGH closer to levels when you are young. Muscle weakness went away as I built it up to increase strength.

One added bonus from menopause though....I used to get ache flareups just before and during my periods. No longer and my face has been clear for years now.

Last edited by Laurie2; 06-26-2004 at 05:13 AM.

Old 06-26-2004, 08:49 AM   #35
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Laurie2: YOu have passed most of the drama. God Bless! Hang in there and keep doing what you're doing. Good work, Good thinking!

Andrea

Old 07-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #36
    glamdais
    (female)

glamdais HB User

I've really been watching this board closely and have posted a couple of times. For a year I've been trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I'm really beginning to think it's all perimenopausal. I'd like to know what you ladies think.

Back in July 2003 (I was 40 turning 41 in September)
    *Started having heat in my back and chest. Felt like it was radiating around from the back to the chest.
    *Had a horrible sensation of my tongue burning (felt like I had burnt it on hot coffee or something all the time.
    *Generally just felt bad all over.
    *Started having periods closer together (every 21 days and the PMS was worse than I had ever experienced).

Had thyroid tests done and it showed way high. Put on PTU, then it swung way low. My endo. thought it was transitory thyroiditis (I also have Crohn's Disease an autoimmune condition), so he put it off on all that. The whole time I was on thyroid med none of these symptoms felt any better.

Around December I started having anxiety. Not too bad, but had trouble concentrating. Couldn't sit and have a conversation with someone without wanting to get up and leave. Very emotional and blue at times. Would have outbursts at people and that is so unlike me. Like I had no patience whatsoever and EVERYTHING was a big deal.

I discussed this with my OBGYN. Yeah--you might be in perimenopause, but no big deal was his response. The endo thought so too and put me on Effexor. It FREAKED ME OUT. Ever since then my anxiety has been horrible. I didn't sleep for more than an hour for 3 weeks. Couldn't eat. Lost 10 pounds. Had agoraphobia, panic, and generally thought I was losing my mind.

Now, 6 months later I still have the same things. I've been on valium 10/mg day since January. It lets me sleep, but I still have anxiety during the day. Plus I still have the heat in my back and tongue. I'm noticing more brown spots (moles?) and I constantly feel like I"ve been run over by a truck. My periods are still around 21 days apart and PMS week is horrible.

My doctor has referred me to a psychiatrist who I"m seeing next Monday. I suppose they're thinking it's all anxiety made worse by the obvious horrible reaction I had to the Effexor, but I'm really wondering if perimenopause isn't playing a huge part in all this. I feel like the physical symptoms are causing my mental symptoms, but the doctors feel it's the other way around. I never had bad anxiety, depression or anything close to that until all this started. I've been to several doctors who basically tell me this isn't my area and I don't know what's wrong, so out the door with you and leave your co-payment at the desk.

Sorry for this long rant, but I feel at this point ladies like you are the only ones who understand. I still feel like I"m just going crazy at times. I obviously can't take antidepressants (that was the second one I'd had a bad reaction to). Would a course of HRT be appropriate at this point? I'm going to a psych. at a medical university so I"m hoping if he doesn't think it's his area he won't just shove me out the door and at least look into other areas since he's at a teaching hospital. I can deal with the physical part, but the mental part has almost incapacitated me. Did anyone find relief from the anxiety/panic part from HRT?

Thanks so much for the opportunity to talk and any advice would be appreciated.

The best to you all.

Judy

Old 07-06-2004, 02:48 PM   #37
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Judy. The only HRT I do is the natural progesterone creme. But you do sound perimenopause, a problem most of us are combating one way or another on this board. I would probably do Prozac, Lexapro or Zoloft instead of Ellexor and your Psych will probably change it, if not, make him/her change it. Alot of us have anxiety here. Really we do and it drives some of us up a wall. I'm one of them.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:21 AM   #38
    aardvarklips

aardvarklips HB User

actually, i have a question.
    my mom is the average age to start menopause. however, since i live with her i also have the symptoms. is this normal? will i be doomed to go thru this twice? or, am i starting early? i'm 24. thanks for any imput.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #39
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Hey Judy....
    I feel almost exactly as you do!!! I feel bad for all of us!!!Started last fall with what I thought was a UTI....doc put me on flagyl and its all been downhill from there!! Isn't it fun when they think you're nuts? lol Mine put me on lexapro which I only took for 9 days because it was making me worse, but I do still take half an Ativan when I need it for anxiety. It makes me sooooooo mad when they don't realize that the PHYSICAL things going wrong with us are whats causing the mental anguish!!! I too went through a period when I was so messed up I was lucky to get one or two hours of sleep, my guts were (and still are) so messed up that I lost 25 lbs in a month, (gained it all back and more..ugh) and that scared the heck outta me, thinking I had something horrible which in turn made the anxiety and panic worse!!! I too also notice more brown spots or "moles"...find one and yippee....more panic!!! And skin tags, I hate those things. I have good days and bad, unfortunately right now it seems to be a bad spell, but I'll get through it, hopefully!
    My symptoms (some starting a few years ago, but didn't associate with peri until recently...)

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE gut problems, IBS, GERD, gas, bloating, gnawing pain in ribs, pain a couple hours after eating, no regular bowel habits anymore
    Waking up every morning with the weirdest thoughts going through my brain, stuff I have NO idea where it came from, all disjointed thoughts
    Some sleep disturbances
    Strange one sided headaches including sinuses pressure, not really on schedule with ovulation or period onset, happens maybe a couple times a month
    ANXIETY alot
    Lightheadedness, foggy brained, only one episode of true dizziness
    Weight gain I can't get rid of
    Feeling of doom and death
    Some paranoia
    More general body aches
    Periods of NO energy and then periods of almost manic energy
    Basically I just feel like crap...and its hard to want to do anything to improve when you're in this kinda mood!

Generally my periods are still the same as they have always been, 25-28 days apart, once in a while they fluctuate and I notice more clotting, had an ultrasound in September 03 and they found a small cyst on each ovary and a small uterine fibroid, but nobody seemed too concerned about it, didn't schedule any follow up or treatment for them. I don't take any hormones but I do take Prilosec, iflora acidophillus, cal/mag, b-complex and am thinking of trying mastic gum to see if it will help my tummy troubles. Seems like any otc pain stuff is intolerable, even in the smallest doses, and I used to take ibuprophen and tylenol with no problems...not any more!!!
    I haven't had the hot flashes or night sweats, my hair and skin is still okay (knock wood, I'm probably jinxing myself now lol).
    Thanx for this great site!!! Its a relief of some sorts to know I'm not alone. And I've probably left out some symptoms, but chalk that up to forgetfullness!!

Conni
    age 48, and ready to be done with this mess!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 08:32 AM   #40
    twanger
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

twanger HB User

1awesomegranny - What a great post- great because you describe me to a "tee". I know how you feel. I am 57 and had a late menopause. Really, the symptoms started about 3 years ago while my periods were regular. Now, I haven't had one in 13 months and still have some of the symptoms - indigestion, IBS, irritable bladder and tremendous amount of anxiety. The ladies on this board have informed me that this can go on for up to two years after no periods. I hope they are right because I can be quite miserable at times. Thank you for your post and keep them coming.

Old 07-08-2004, 09:00 AM   #41
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 1awesomegranny
    Hey Judy....
    I feel almost exactly as you do!!! I feel bad for all of us!!!Started last fall with what I thought was a UTI....doc put me on flagyl and its all been downhill from there!! Isn't it fun when they think you're nuts? lol Mine put me on lexapro which I only took for 9 days because it was making me worse, but I do still take half an Ativan when I need it for anxiety. It makes me sooooooo mad when they don't realize that the PHYSICAL things going wrong with us are whats causing the mental anguish!!! I too went through a period when I was so messed up I was lucky to get one or two hours of sleep, my guts were (and still are) so messed up that I lost 25 lbs in a month, (gained it all back and more..ugh) and that scared the heck outta me, thinking I had something horrible which in turn made the anxiety and panic worse!!! I too also notice more brown spots or "moles"...find one and yippee....more panic!!! And skin tags, I hate those things. I have good days and bad, unfortunately right now it seems to be a bad spell, but I'll get through it, hopefully!
    My symptoms (some starting a few years ago, but didn't associate with peri until recently...)

HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE gut problems, IBS, GERD, gas, bloating, gnawing pain in ribs, pain a couple hours after eating, no regular bowel habits anymore
    Waking up every morning with the weirdest thoughts going through my brain, stuff I have NO idea where it came from, all disjointed thoughts
    Some sleep disturbances
    Strange one sided headaches including sinuses pressure, not really on schedule with ovulation or period onset, happens maybe a couple times a month
    ANXIETY alot
    Lightheadedness, foggy brained, only one episode of true dizziness
    Weight gain I can't get rid of
    Feeling of doom and death
    Some paranoia
    More general body aches
    Periods of NO energy and then periods of almost manic energy
    Basically I just feel like crap...and its hard to want to do anything to improve when you're in this kinda mood!

Generally my periods are still the same as they have always been, 25-28 days apart, once in a while they fluctuate and I notice more clotting, had an ultrasound in September 03 and they found a small cyst on each ovary and a small uterine fibroid, but nobody seemed too concerned about it, didn't schedule any follow up or treatment for them. I don't take any hormones but I do take Prilosec, iflora acidophillus, cal/mag, b-complex and am thinking of trying mastic gum to see if it will help my tummy troubles. Seems like any otc pain stuff is intolerable, even in the smallest doses, and I used to take ibuprophen and tylenol with no problems...not any more!!!
    I haven't had the hot flashes or night sweats, my hair and skin is still okay (knock wood, I'm probably jinxing myself now lol).
    Thanx for this great site!!! Its a relief of some sorts to know I'm not alone. And I've probably left out some symptoms, but chalk that up to forgetfullness!!

Conni
    age 48, and ready to be done with this mess!!!
    Connie, you sound just like me, LOL But I have the periods of hot flashes, irregular periods. The anxiety is doom in itself, isn't it? Where are you from? ARe you in the U.S. or abroad?

Andrea

Old 07-08-2004, 09:26 AM   #42
    glamdais
    (female)

glamdais HB User

1AwesomeGranny-----Yep, it sounds like we are very much in the same boat. I forgot about the skin tags--suddenly I have those things everywhere! For me my theory is that I had all the perimenopause stuff starting, then had the thyroid adventure, then the Effexor disaster just pushed me over the edge! Of course getting a doctor to believe or even listen to that is close to impossible. I have lost soooooooo much respect for the medical profession through all this that it is unbelievable. Not that I had that much to start with!

Old 07-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #43
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi everyone, yes it seems we all all in the same boat!!

Judy : I too started with periods closer together (like at 23 or 24 days) and the past two months they have fluctuated to every 31 days so don't know what to expect this month. The PMS is way worse and way longer. It does not necessarily correlate with the time it usually would come. My gyn , who is a woman and very understanding of all of this, said that it is like a prolonged PMS and that is it to a tee. The anxiety is a big thing for me and in March and early April of this year it was very bad for me and I was beside myself totally. The doctor and also the gyn recommended xanax to use as needed and I did at that time do so. I have not taken any since May when we flew to FLa. for vacation and that is something I do anytime we fly. anyway, the xanax did help at the time for the perianxiety and I would not hesitate to take it again if I needed to. I am now taking Vitamin B complex and Estroven which is an over the counter vitamin supplement for this peri time. It seems to work but who knows if that is it or if the symptoms have just subsided, for now!! I am always looking over my shoulder so to speak thinking they will come back to the extent they did in March which I know is not good. But generally I try to just take it a day at a time and be glad I am feeling more myself now. Just know you are not alone as we are all going thru the same things. Feel better soon!!

Conni : I can totally relate!! "Gut problems" in March and April were really a big problem for me and the anxiety I had over them made it worse I know, but I could not help it as it was all things I had never had. The doctor suggested Metamucil wafers and I think with those and the fiber I was already getting my gut problems were made worse. So I backed off on the wafers and get the fiber thru my cereals and veggies and seem to be doing ok with it and the gut situation has calmed down and back to normal. I am as I said above taking the vitamin B and the Estroven and that is the only thing I am doing differently PLUS exercising more and pilates and all that I think helps the anxiety issues lessen. You mentioned having taken Flagyl for an infection ...boy do I know that drug as a few years back I was given it too and I could not tolerate it. It messed my stomach up big time. That did and also this year the gyn prescribed Lexapro for anxiety at first and I could not take it for more than 5 days as it inflammed the situation with my intestines worse that it was. The one sided headaches you mention I get right before my periods and it is over my left eye area, like a sinus headache. I used to get them every month and then the gut problems came and the headaches left. But now the headaches are back just before period time and I can handle them a lot better than the stomach stuff that is for sure. The lightheadedness and general bodyaches too I have experienced at one time or another. And I laughed about the skin tags!! I hate those things!! Anyway, sorry for the long post but so much of what you said I related to and wanted you to know.

Andrea : how are you doing this week? Hope you are having a good week.

rmc

Old 07-08-2004, 04:25 PM   #44
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User
    Wink Re: lets do a study, list symptoms

Hey everybody....thankx for the replies!!! I'm soooo glad to know I have company...even tho I wouldn't wish this mess on anyone, well maybe my ex husband...hehehehehe.
    Today has gotten better and it brings to mind a theory I've been playing with for awhile...I am currently having my flow, and it seems like every month the first 3 days are normal (as normal as that mess can be lol) and then I "pause" for a day and thats when my symptoms are the worst!!! Then I have a day or so of just miserable gushing and clotting (isn't this the most glamorous subject? ick lol) and everything calms down!!! Seriously! Last nite and this morning I was at my most miserable, and sure 'nuf when the gushing started, everything calmed down, aired out, cooled off...don't get me wrong, I still feel kinda crappy, but its not major like it was. Anyone else have this? I sometimes notice the same around the time I ovulate...but not every month. And my headaches are over my right eye...lol but I agree, I sure tolerate them better than the gut stuff. And then again, gushing starts and they go away. Hhhmmmm....
    And does anyone else feel like when they get up in the morning they're living in some alien body? Where did mine go? And what's gonna fall apart today?
    OOoooo I need an attitude adjustment lol
    I tell myself I need to exercise more, I only walk a bit, I have a couple pilates and yoga tapes, but ya know, some days its just too hard to get up off the couch and put them in the VCR...and then do them? NO WAY lol. And I know if I lost 30 lbs I'd feel much better, the majority of my weight is in my budda belly. Another symptom, yippee
    I hope y'all are having a good day, and for the person who asked, I'm in NEBRASKA....GO BIG RED!!! (And no, I'm not a real big Husker fan, just loyality made me do that hehehehe, but don't tell 'em cause they'll kick me outta the state, they are serious about their football here!!)
    I am SO glad I found you women!!!
    Conni
    perfect as ever but still feeling like doggy doodoo....dang Eve anyway

Old 07-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #45
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User
    Wink Re: lets do a study, list symptoms

Oh yeah, and DUH I forgot, metamucil made me WORSE...I swear I can feel it moving through every part of my intestines....I ain't taking that stuff again!
    Conni

Closed Thread