It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Progesterone Cream

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 PM   #1
    Snoshop60

Snoshop60 HB User
    Question Progesterone Cream

Anyone here use progesterone cream? I've been using Femgest for several
    weeks and just put on my bifocals and read the small print.... There is
    a warning "This product contains a chemical known to the State of
    California to cause cancer". It was really helping me but now I'm kinda
    scared to use it. Anyone else using Femgest?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 09:11 AM   #2
    poysenivy
    (female)

poysenivy HB User
    Re: Progesterone Cream

I've been trying to find information on the chemical in femgest that causes cancer. Everywhere i go I have found people asking the same question but no one seems to have an answer. if anyone knows what this is will you please let me know?

Old 03-21-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
    greeneyes100
    Inactive
    (female)

greeneyes100 HB User

Try Emerita progesterone cream. It's really good and highly recommended by patients and doctors. If Femgest says that on the label, I would use something else. I did hear someone else say they were using Femgest and liked it though.

If I were you, I would go ahead and finish the rest of the product you are using and switch to Emerita after that. It's the most highly recommended cream that I know of.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poysenivy
    I've been trying to find information on the chemical in femgest that causes cancer. Everywhere i go I have found people asking the same question but no one seems to have an answer. if anyone knows what this is will you please let me know?
    An online drugstore website lists the ingredients for FemGest as:

Purified Water, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Progesterone, Ceteareth 20, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 80, Keratin Amino Acids, Diazolidinyl Urea, Carbomer, Methylparaben, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Grapefruit Seed Extract (Citrus grandis), BHA, Lemon Oil (Citrus medica limonum), Propylparaben, Panthenol, Aloe Vera Gel, Sodium Hyaluronate

Another one says:

Ingredients: Aloe Vera Gel In Distilled Water; D-Alpha Tocopherol & Mixed Tocopherols; Cetyl Alcohol; Almond Oil; Octyl Palmitate; Panthenol; PEG 8 Sterate; Glycerine; Progesterone; Polysorbate-60; Hyaluronic Acid; Oil Of Lemon; Keratin; Carbomer-940; Grapefruit Seed Extract. Per Jar: Progesterone - 900mg.

Another says:

Water, Vitamin E Acetate, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Grapefruit Extract, Octyl Palmitate, Cetyl Esters, Progesterone, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Keratin, Propylene Glycol, Polysorbate 80, Diazolidinylurea, Carbomer, Sweet Almond Oil, Triethanolamine, Methylparaben, Panthenol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Propylparaben.

Don't know if this is just different ways to list ingredients, and don't know which ingredient is causing California to declare a cancer warning -- you'd think that it wouldn't be allowed to be sold in California.

--Rheanna

Old 03-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #5
    sparksals
    (female)

sparksals HB User

I know I'm coming into this discussion late. I've never used Femgest before and don't know if it is synthetic or natural progesterone cream. I use Lifeflo Progestacare. It is completely natural. Synthetic progesterone creams are little help, so you should switch to a natural one. Progestacare comes in a premeasured pump, so you never make a mistake in the dosage.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:24 PM   #6
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

I use a bio-idential progesterone cream that is specifically compounded for me. This way it is more like your own body's hormone. I agree to stay away from the synthetics. Try to find a compounding pharmacist or natural doctor who will do it.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
    newbie5
    (female)

newbie5 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparksals
    I know I'm coming into this discussion late. I've never used Femgest before and don't know if it is synthetic or natural progesterone cream. I use Lifeflo Progestacare. It is completely natural. Synthetic progesterone creams are little help, so you should switch to a natural one. Progestacare comes in a premeasured pump, so you never make a mistake in the dosage.

Is the Lifeflo sold over the counter or by prescription? What about the Emerita? Also, what benefits do you notice from them? I am on the Climara patch and am looking for something to "balance me out" and possibly help with my libido. I have never really understood what progesterone does for people and if it is safe. Thanks so much!

Old 03-23-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

I'm not sure about the name brands you mentioned, because my progesterone cream is a prescription. But progesterone and estrogen are the life of us women. But they need to be in balance. Too little progesterone can result in low libido, as in my case. There is an ebb and flow in our cycle if we are still in the premenopausal state. If you are in that pre-menopause years, like me, you want your periods to be as regular as possible. There is an upsurge in progesterone around the middle of your cycle preparing for a possible baby. This hormone is the "feel good" hormone". It balances out our moods and gives us a serene feeling. When there is enough of this hormone and hence, no conception, that is when we have our period and eveything is flushed out. This was all explained to be in detail by my doctor. She is so good with this stuff! Progesterone is not harmful at all. It is natural that our bodies produce it. But make sure it is the natural and not synthetic.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:53 PM   #9
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snoshop60
    Anyone here use progesterone cream? I've been using Femgest for several
    weeks and just put on my bifocals and read the small print.... There is
    a warning "This product contains a chemical known to the State of
    California to cause cancer". It was really helping me but now I'm kinda
    scared to use it. Anyone else using Femgest?
    Snoshop60,

I searched the internet for the list of ingredients (see my post above). Came up with several different lists, probably different because of laws based on where the product is sold. But NOWHERE could I find any info about which ingredient is supposed to be the cancer causing one in California. I even found the very same question in a forum on another website, but no one had answered that time either!

At this stage I'd say, write to the manufacturer and ask them to explain why this statement appears on the product you purchased. Include the list of ingredients (feel free to cut and paste from one of mine which most closely resembles what's on your package and then change as appropriate). Then come back to this post and clue us in!

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 03-23-2005 at 11:54 PM. Reason: fumbly fingers spelling

Old 04-07-2005, 01:56 AM   #10
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poysenivy
    I think I've found it: the scary ingredient known to the state of California as a cancer-causing substance is .... Progesterone! An organization called the Environmental Working Group has analyzed bazillions of ingredients in products and you can find out about many of your favorite cosmetic products from them.

--Rheanna

Last edited by moderator2; 04-07-2005 at 04:58 AM. Reason: please email moderator1 if you have posting rules questions

Old 04-07-2005, 05:58 AM   #11
    Howitt44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Howitt44 HB User

Natural progesterone is a natural occurring hormone in your body. Now synthetic progesterone may be a cancer threat, which may be the ingredient in the cream you describe. But natural progesterone has been proven to even prevent breast cancer.

Closed Thread