It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Anyone dizzy/spacey/lightheaded daily?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User
    Anyone dizzy/spacey/lightheaded daily?

I've heard about women going through menopause feeling dizzy, but I had no idea that it would be a daily occurance. What can be done to eliminate this symptoms...what am I doing wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
    captain14
    (female)

captain14 HB User
    Re: Anyone dizzy/spacey/lightheaded daily?

I get the spacey feeling now and then where I feel like I am walking around in a fog. The lightheaded feeling I get when I haven't eaten in awhile. I find now I must have like 6 small meals a day. If I have breakfast around 8 I must eat something by 10 and then probably every 2 hours after that. Once I eat I feel better. The fog I just live with. It is annoying.

Old 12-12-2004, 08:32 PM   #3
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by captain14
    I get the spacey feeling now and then where I feel like I am walking around in a fog. The lightheaded feeling I get when I haven't eaten in awhile. I find now I must have like 6 small meals a day. If I have breakfast around 8 I must eat something by 10 and then probably every 2 hours after that. Once I eat I feel better. The fog I just live with. It is annoying.

I'm also hypoglycemic so I understand the importance of eating six small meals a day to prevent low glucose levels. The spacey feeling that I have is similar to the sudden drop in your glucose level, but it's 24/7 and doesn't improve after I eat. I do have some days when the feeling isn't as intense, thank God for those days.

Old 12-13-2004, 01:03 PM   #4
    sillysundy43
    Inactive

sillysundy43 HB User

I get vertigo quite often, but usually early in the morning or when my blood sugar is low.

Old 12-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #5
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hopefully,
    I sympathize with with you - I know what you're going through. I too hated the dizzy/lightheadedness feeling that happened to me pretty much 24/7 too. I even left food next to my bed and ate something in the middle of the night thinking I might have been hypoglycemic but it didn't make any difference either. For me, it lasted for months and then eventually it subsided to going away completely. I don't know what I did to make it better; perhaps, time just ran its course or the hormones finally settled down - all I know is that it's a horrible way to be.

May it go away for you very soon too!
    molly

Old 12-13-2004, 06:01 PM   #6
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    Hopefully,
    I sympathize with with you - I know what you're going through. I too hated the dizzy/lightheadedness feeling that happened to me pretty much 24/7 too. I even left food next to my bed and ate something in the middle of the night thinking I might have been hypoglycemic but it didn't make any difference either. For me, it lasted for months and then eventually it subsided to going away completely. I don't know what I did to make it better; perhaps, time just ran its course or the hormones finally settled down - all I know is that it's a horrible way to be.

May it go away for you very soon too!
    molly

Molly thank you so much for these words of encouragement because the Lord knows that I need them. Like yourself when this spaciness started I though that I was severly hypogylcemic and I would keep a snack in my car, in my handbag, at work, everywhere I went...it didn't take long for me to come to the realization that I wasn't dealing with hypoglycemia.

Since I've been taking bcp I've noticed substantial improvement, but I'm still dealing with this feeling daily. There are days when I experience periods of time when I have clarity, and how glad I am for those moments.

May I ask what you are taking and how long did you deal with this symptom before it was totally gone. Thanks!

Last edited by Hopefully; 12-13-2004 at 06:03 PM.

Old 12-14-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hopeful,
    I think after I was taking Paxil CR, I started to feel all the symptoms I was having going away. I started to feel pretty normal after being on it for a month. Geez, when you mentioned "clarity" - I now remember how my mind didn't feel clear either. I felt I wasn't all there, it was like I'm looking in..is that how you feel? Could it be what they call brain fog? I'm impressed that you're able to work! I couldn't.

I also started taking lots of vitamins (I followed the recommendations in the peri-zappers book - still taking them), and finally had enough energy to workout some.

Old 12-14-2004, 03:21 PM   #8
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    Hopeful,
    I think after I was taking Paxil CR, I started to feel all the symptoms I was having going away. I started to feel pretty normal after being on it for a month. Geez, when you mentioned "clarity" - I now remember how my mind didn't feel clear either. I felt I wasn't all there, it was like I'm looking in..is that how you feel? Could it be what they call brain fog? I'm impressed that you're able to work! I couldn't.

I also started taking lots of vitamins (I followed the recommendations in the peri-zappers book - still taking them), and finally had enough energy to workout some.

Molly it is so good to finally communicate with someone who understands what I'm talking about.

Yes, it's a blessing to be able to work while experiencing this spacey/lightheaded/dizziness. I did take a medical leave back in 2002 when I first began experiencing the worst of this perimenopause. The anxiety and depression was dreadful. Back then I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder.

It wasn't until early this year that I realized that this had to be hormonally related. After doing some research I located this site an others along with many women like yourself who were posting about all the symptoms that I've been dealing with for 2 years.

Then in July 2004 I was "officially" diagnosed with perimenopause by a reproductive endocrinologist.

I don't really know if this is what some women refer to as brain fog. There was another post here about define brain fog and there seem to be many definitions.

I thinking about trying Effexor because it has done wonders for my sister. I'm just concerned with withdrawal when I begin to wean. Maybe I should just swallow the pill, start feeling better and years from now deal with weaning. I just want to feel 100% "normal" again.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:08 AM   #9
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Hopefully,
    I am one of those "extreme" people - when I get something - it is really bad - then it goes away and I'm fine. I didn't start going thru this until I turned 50 in 2003. But, I couldn't work and fortunately, I work from home and my boss was understanding.

Hey, at least you were "offically" diagnosed w/peri meno. I never was. I was really scared to take an anti-depressant but at the time, I was so feeling so bad but I was desperate to do anything! I didn't want to keep living my life that way it was going! When it comes to weaning, I'm just going to deal with it when the time comes. I don't intend to stay on it for years. In fact, when I see my GP next yr. for my next appt., I tell him I want to wean off of it. I didn't have any side effects when I went on it and I might not have any when I get off of it. IMO, each person is different and statistics that show people who have a hard time with this med also show a large percentage who do not have any problems.

My dr. did suggest me to go on Effexor if the Paxil CR didn't work for me. IMO, do whatever it takes to make yourself feel better. Sometimes you have to do things you don't normally want to do b/c that's the only way to deal w/it. If you want to give the Effexor a try, do it and then deal w/weaning later. You can always stop taking it if it makes you feel worse. Even tho, I feel better now, I also realized that I'm getting older and have to also do things like taking vitamins everyday and eating flaxseed - things I never did before. I have always eaten fairly healthy, exercised, and don't smoke or drink anyway. Do keep us posted.

Old 12-15-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Molly, I fully agree one person's poison (antidepressant) is another persons happy pill . I have a co-worker who has taken Effexor for years and she calls it her happy pill. My sister has been on Effexor for months and doing well, but I think she also needs something else because she's still having mild anxiety, hot flashes and heart palpitations. I was surprise to hear that she still had hot flashes while taking Effexor since doctors claim that it eliminates hot flashes.

I see a new ob/gyn on Dec. 27 an at that time I'm going to discuss taking Effexor. I'm already taking Mircette bcp, but I know that I need something else.

I will keep on posting because this sight has been a God send.

Last edited by Hopefully; 12-15-2004 at 02:46 PM.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:50 PM   #11
    captain14
    (female)

captain14 HB User

Did any of you have the dizziness/vertigo with a little twinge in your chest. I get a wierd feeling in my chest with warmth and dizziness. I feel like I am going to pass out. I was walking through the park today talking with a friend and I have this feeling come over me like I am going to drop right there. It passes but has become more frequent along with alot of muscle pain in my neck and shoulders...is this part of it all? Thanks.

Old 12-31-2004, 03:43 PM   #12
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Did any of you have the dizziness/vertigo with a little twinge in your chest. I get a wierd feeling in my chest with warmth and dizziness. I feel like I am going to pass out. I was walking through the park today talking with a friend and I have this feeling come over me like I am going to drop right there. It passes but has become more frequent along with alot of muscle pain in my neck and shoulders...is this part of it all? Thanks.

I didn't get any sensation in my chest. Have you seen a doctor about this? I do feel like I'm about to faint, but thank God I haven't. Hopefully, someone else will post with more information.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:29 PM   #13
    catluvr4
    (female)

catluvr4 HB User

Quote:
    Started getting those wonderful symptoms last week, including rapid pulse and heart beat. Doctor did and EKG and stress test, and physically, I'm perfect. Oh wait, i used to get something minor like this during PMS, but it's much worse now. But then, I do feel like I have PMS every single day.
    CAT

Old 12-31-2004, 10:21 PM   #14
    CeeGee223
    (female)

CeeGee223 HB User

Hi all.....I've been reading this board for many, many months and finally got around to actually signing up. Just wanted to jump in here and address this crazy dizziness subject too.

I also am suffering with vertigo/dizzy spells which can last from a few minutes to a few hours. These days I can't even ride the elevator one floor at work without feeling "weird" when I get on level ground. Occasionally, I have to sit down for a minute to get my swirling head back into focus!

All of my immediate family lives in another state and they are struggling with the fact that I'm terrified of trying to fly 2-l/2 hours for a visit. If I can't ride an elevator without problems how the heck can I fly? Not to mention I don't think I could stand the closed-in feeling of that plane. I never had THAT particular phobia before the peri either....LOL. I won't even get into the anxiety problems.

Anyway, my point to this post is just to say that I was really worried about all of this until I started reading this site and realized that I was not alone! I just wanted to say THANKS for all of reassuring help here. I have most ALL of the peri symptoms that were posted here not long ago but I have been able to calm down by realizing that I'm not dying and must wait this lousy stuff out. Such fun!

Old 01-01-2005, 10:06 AM   #15
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hi CeeGee,
    Just wanted to welcome you to the board! Join the group and let us know what you're going thru. I went thru a rough time last year, well, in 2003 actually and am fine now. I didn't have vertigo but did have that dizziiness/lightheadedness/weird sensation in the head for months 24/7...I didn't find this board until I was feeling pretty normal again. Many women are going thru a lot here and I hang around to reassure that it does get better.

molly

Closed Thread