It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• SHOULD I HAVE A D&C?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2004, 10:46 AM   #1
    noodles886
    (female)

noodles886 HB User
    SHOULD I HAVE A D&C?

About 2 weeks ago, I had some postmenopausal bleeding. It lasted about 2-1/2 days and for the most part was very light. I went to my gyn. and he wants to do a D&C to find out the cause. Because I have a HUGE fibroid, he says he can't do an endometrial biopsy or ultrasound. He is not even sure he will be able to do the D&C because of the fibroid and size of my uterus (6-7 mo. pregnancy size). I had my annual PAP test and it came back normal. I asked if the bleeding could be a last surge of hormones and he thought based on my age (59) and when I last had my period (January 2001), he didn't think so. Around the same time, I went to my family doctor for a routine visit and asked him if he could order the FSH test for me. I am going for that on Monday. I have read that some women are not past menopause even after 4 years+ and I am curious about my hormone levels.

My gyn. is scaring me with the thought of endometrial cancer and is pushing me to schedule the D&C. I hate the thought of going under anesthesia (or even having an epidural) for a procedure which he might not be able to do anyway! He did tell me that it's a good sign that I haven't seen any more bleeding in 2 weeks. My gut feeling is that the bleeding was a fluke or perhaps even vaginal dryness or a vaginal sore that broke.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 07:16 PM   #2
    percan
    (female)

percan HB User
    Re: SHOULD I HAVE A D&C?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noodles886
    About 2 weeks ago, I had some postmenopausal bleeding. It lasted about 2-1/2 days and for the most part was very light. I went to my gyn. and he wants to do a D&C to find out the cause. Because I have a HUGE fibroid, he says he can't do an endometrial biopsy or ultrasound. He is not even sure he will be able to do the D&C because of the fibroid and size of my uterus (6-7 mo. pregnancy size). I had my annual PAP test and it came back normal. I asked if the bleeding could be a last surge of hormones and he thought based on my age (59) and when I last had my period (January 2001), he didn't think so. Around the same time, I went to my family doctor for a routine visit and asked him if he could order the FSH test for me. I am going for that on Monday. I have read that some women are not past menopause even after 4 years+ and I am curious about my hormone levels.

My gyn. is scaring me with the thought of endometrial cancer and is pushing me to schedule the D&C. I hate the thought of going under anesthesia (or even having an epidural) for a procedure which he might not be able to do anyway! He did tell me that it's a good sign that I haven't seen any more bleeding in 2 weeks. My gut feeling is that the bleeding was a fluke or perhaps even vaginal dryness or a vaginal sore that broke.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Noodles,

First let me say that I was in a somewhat similar situation, and was extremely reluctant to have the D&C as I had never had any surgery in my life - not even my tonsils out! I had a bleeding episode after one year of not having periods (and my bleeding was also light and short, but I'd have PMS symptoms prior so I was sure it was hormonal.) The doctor couldn't do an in-office biopsy because of a large cervical polyp. But after much thought I just decided it would be best to not take a chance. If it all turned out okay (and it did) I knew that having the surgery would put my mind at rest, otherwise I would always worry that the bleeding was an early warning sign that I neglected. Although I went thru alot of mental turmoil wondering whether it was the right thing to do, after it was over I was so glad I did it and was able to not worry anymore. The surgery was very simple - I had a general anesthetic, but because the surgery is so quick, and you're not under for very long, you really feel back to normal in 20 minutes. No woozy weird feeling after, which I was expecting. I was in recovery for a half-hour, then walked out of the hospital, went home and made lunch.

If you are really unsure what to do, you might also want to get a second opinion from another doctor.

Good luck and let us know how things turn out for you.

Percan

Old 12-27-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
    Nance77
    (female)

Nance77 HB User

You should definitely get the D & C done, and they will also take a tissue sample for biopsy at that time...Most likely it is nothing, but any post menopausal bleeding should be checked out....You will feel much better having it done, then worrying if it is something or not...My mom had post menopausal bleeding and it turned out she had endometrial cancer...It is a very curable cancer, if it is found early, so I would get everything checked out just to make sure..

Old 12-27-2004, 04:22 PM   #4
    noodles886
    (female)

noodles886 HB User

I agree with you, Nance, but problem is that gyn. isn't sure he can even do the D&C because I have a huge fibroid. He said if D&C doesn't work, he would want to do a hysterectomy to remove fibroid and also cancer, if it does exist. A hysterectomy was recommended a couple of years ago for fibroid removal but since it doesn't bother me at all, I've left it alone.

Old 12-28-2004, 03:41 PM   #5
    Nance77
    (female)

Nance77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noodles886
    I agree with you, Nance, but problem is that gyn. isn't sure he can even do the D&C because I have a huge fibroid. He said if D&C doesn't work, he would want to do a hysterectomy to remove fibroid and also cancer, if it does exist. A hysterectomy was recommended a couple of years ago for fibroid removal but since it doesn't bother me at all, I've left it alone.
    Hmm..I don't know, but I know my mom had a large fibroid also, and thats why her gyn couldnt do the endo biopsy in the office..So he did the D & C..At least he should be able to get some tissue for a biopsy, and see if the endo lining is thickened....Have u had an ultrasound done? I would think he could do something to check on this before going right to a hysterectomy if its not needed..Maybe you should get a 2nd opinion..It cant hurt...
    Take Care

Old 12-28-2004, 05:05 PM   #6
    noodles886
    (female)

noodles886 HB User

When I was first diagnosed with the huge fibroid, I had been in the hospital for tests to see what the mass was (It's a long story). Anyway, an ultrasound was attempted but the technician said she couldn't see anything because the fibroid was in the way.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
    cin-dig2
    (female)

cin-dig2 HB User

I had a biopsy done today for postmenopausal bleeding. I haven't had a period for 15mo. I also had a small cervical polyp that was removed today. The strange thing is, for the last 2 weeks my breasts have been killing me, and swollen, and I had the crummy mood just like pms. It lasted for 3 days, and was very much like my periods use to be. Now I feel great, boobs don't hurt, aren't swollen, and no more bleeding. If it was caused by the polyp or if it is endometrial cancer, why all of the pms symptoms?

Old 12-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
    privatelink2
    (female)

privatelink2 HB User

I have been menopausal for the past seventeen months. I am now 56 yrs. 8 months old and did not stop my periods entirely until a couple months past 55.
    Just recently I have had slight "twinges" in my pelvic area, had a discharge that got "wetter", my boobs felt very tender for a couple of weeks, and my discharge then changed slightly to a light beige color (about 8 days ago). I panicked (as is usually the case with me) and tried to find SOME doctor to see. (We just had a huge snowstorm and, of course, the Christmas holidays closed most doctor offices). I found one doctor (whom I saw just yesterday) who thought my symptoms indicated a hormone surge, which she said was not all that uncommon in postmenopausal women, esp. those who entered menopause late, such as myself. Anyway, with all you women who have stated that you had post menopausal bleeding, was the bleeding similar to what you had when you periods or was it just slightly off-color like mine has been? I have had very little discharge, but when I do it is always off-color. This doctor did not think - after hearing my symptoms - that an endometrial biopsy was indicated at this time, but I insisted on having one anyway. Unfortunately, she was unable to successfully do the procedure on me (my cervix wouldn't dilate, or something like that). What should have been (according to her) about a five SECOND procedure lasted about 5 MINUTES while she attempted to insert whatever it was she needed to insert in me. Naturally, there was some 'cramping' involved while she made three attempts at this. Now - 26 hours later - I feel more "twinges" than I did previous to this, AND my discharge is slightly darker (more light brown than beige). Obviously, I am worried about it all. She just said to call in a week (she was leaning more towards TWO weeks) for an ultrasound if it didn't clear up on its own. Have any of you heard of a possible "hormone surge" that would bring about symptoms like these? I had a D&C three years ago (Jan. 2, 2002) for a December period that just didn't want to end. No heavy bleeding, it just wouldn't quit. All went well, and there was nothing wrong with my uterus, or the lining or anything. I also had an ultrasound in the summer of 2003 for a grape-sized cyst on my ovary which was shrinking even as they took the ultrasound, and was looking fine on my follow-up ultrasound on October 30, 2003. Anyway, here I am .. in late December of 2004, nearly 18 months past menopause, and having this vaginal discharge and pelvic "twinges". If you could share your thoughts with me on what YOU would do (I am crawling the walls wanting to get an ultrasound done NOW, or even a D&C). I know I panic easily. What is YOUR advice. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
    noodles886
    (female)

noodles886 HB User

PrivateLink, I can understand why you are climbing the walls and wanting to know what's going on with your body.

I am 59 and it will be 4 years in January since I had my last period so I was also 55. My bleeding was different than yours....first day and half it was pinkish, then during one trip to bathroom it was bright red but next time it was back to pinkish and very light; the next day it was light pinkish and I haven't seen any sign of bleeding since. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks. My gyn. is taking a totally different approach....he's assuming the worst until it's ruled out which is scaring me. My gut feeling that it was a hormonal thing since I have read on this bulletin board that some woman had it happen many years after their last period. My gyn. said my hormone levels are probably in the range that definitely indicates I'm totally postmenopausal. He didn't even want to do a blood test to find out. I visited my family doctor on another matter and asked him to order the blood test. I had it done on Monday but don't have the results yet.

Closed Thread