It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Perimenopause & Heart Sensations

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
    venezia
    (female)

venezia HB User
    Perimenopause & Heart Sensations

I'm 52 years old and am showing some of the symptoms of perimenopause . I noticed on some of the other posts that heart palpitations were mentioned. I have times when my heart seems to flutter, or it feels like it skips a beat or I get a real strong beat and then I guess I get a rush of adrenaline or something and get hot. Or could this be a type of a hot flash? Has anyone else had problems like this? Could it be hormone related? A few years ago I wore the holter monitor for a while but naturally not much happened when I had it on. I've mentioned this to my dr. but she doesn't seem too concerned. I try to stay calm when this happens but you can't help but worry and wonder what's going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
    Re: Perimenopause & Heart Sensations

I will be 46 next month and have had the same type of symptoms you mention. At first it scared me to death (and I know its a really uncomfortable feeling) but then I put it together with my other symtoms, such as irregular periods all my life which have suddenly become like clockwork, periods of rapid heartbeat, inexplainable anxiety, mood swings, etc. and so many people told me..... perimenopause. I looked it up on the internet and every single one of those symptoms, among others, are listed. Its good to know we're not alone in this!

Nancy

Old 01-12-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
    alwaysaworrier
    (female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

This happens to me also and I would love to know is this really a hot flash or something else like something wrong with our hearts?
    Maggie

Old 01-12-2005, 05:27 AM   #4
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Venezia,
    "I have times when my heart seems to flutter, or it feels like it skips a beat or I get a real strong beat and then I guess I get a rush of adrenaline or something and get hot"
    I have the exact same thing so you're not alone!!! I don't usually get the hot stuff afterwards tho. I too have mentioned this to my doc and he didn't say much...but I do wonder what causes it. I've had it for a while now, maybe forever but just never noticed it before the peri started? lol
    Conni

Old 01-12-2005, 05:48 AM   #5
    Wink
    (female)

Wink HB User

I have the same problem, esepecially with the adrenalin rush. I also get a hot, flushed feeling. It can be very scary, but if I can just remind myself that it's just hormonal and it will pass I can usually get through it. I'm seeing an endocronologist next week to hopefully confirm for me this is all just hormonal! Hang in there.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:22 AM   #6
    Moonrize
    (female)

Moonrize HB User

All normal for peri,I spoke to my gyno and he said palpitations were equal to a hot flash,same sort of thing going on....I've had 2 ekgs in the past 6 months till I finally spoke to him about it...he knew right away!

Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 AM   #7
    alwaysaworrier
    (female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Moonrize
    All normal for peri,I spoke to my gyno and he said palpitations were equal to a hot flash,same sort of thing going on....I've had 2 ekgs in the past 6 months till I finally spoke to him about it...he knew right away!
    Thanks for letting us know - good to know.

Maggie

Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM   #8
    venezia
    (female)

venezia HB User

Thanks so much for your replies! It's good to know that this is not unusual and that others are experiencing the same thing. It is scary though when it happens and makes me nervous. Wink: let us know what the endocrinologist tells you. So far I've just had the irregular periods but I have noticed a few times when I wake up in the night and am hot for a while and have to take the covers off and then later I get cold again.

Venezia

Old 01-13-2005, 05:40 AM   #9
    Wink
    (female)

Wink HB User

Venezia,
    The same thing happens to me at night. I'll be sound asleep and then wake up really hot, kick off the covers and then I get cold. My gyn said that was a classic night sweat description, and pretty comon with perimenopause. I'm so glad I found this board, I feel much more informed and have a lot of questions ready to ask my endo...I'll let you know the results.

Old 01-13-2005, 08:45 AM   #10
    mgraylorn
    Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I don't sleep well anymore, so am up and down several times a night. I am usually cold by bedtime, so I pile on the covers and turn on the heat blanket. Once a night and not the same time every night, I will wake up and be very warm. I don't sweat, but will have to kick off all the covers for a bit and cool down. Then I will slowly pile all the covers back on and go to sleep.

I have always been cold natured, and I am taking blood pressure meds which slow my heartrate, so I thought being even colder was from the meds. I figured I'd warm up while sleeping and then be too warm.

Maybe it isn't the meds after all. Don't seem to do the hot thing in the day (unless I've just had a nap, lol!)

Old 01-13-2005, 09:46 AM   #11
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Venezia,
    I had the heart palps, along with hot flashes/nights sweats and then burning sensation thru out my arms. Even now with the cold weather, I sleep without the heater on and on top of my bed with just one blanket. My house is like a meat locker LOL! Occasionally, I get hot but not like before. There was a month or two also when I my blood pressure and heart rate was high (I have one of those home wrist monitor thing). Hang in there - it will go away...I swear this whole meno stuff is such a horrible time for us women!

molly

Old 01-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
    Moonrize
    (female)

Moonrize HB User

Those hot flashes are horrid...last night I was so warm I went out (no coat,of course),picked up a handful of snow and put it on the back of my neck to cool me off.No dice,it melted in about 10 seconds!

Old 01-13-2005, 11:24 AM   #13
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

Yes, I have had this too and it is upsetting and frightening when it does occur. I have been to the doctors and know that it is listed as a peri symptom. I tend to get the heart palpitations right before my period or a week before.

rmc

Old 01-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #14
    venezia
    (female)

venezia HB User

Do any of you have the urge to cough when you have the heart flutters? Sometimes I'm not sure if it's something with my heart or my esophagus (or if that's even possible that you can feel something in your esophagus). Sometimes it feels like a tickling in my chest but can't tell where it's coming from. These feelings always seem to happen when I'm just sitting around at the computer, watching tv, reading or lying down so you really notice them. I've been trying to just stay calm and not get overly concerned. The more posts I read, I realize that I have more perimenopausal symptoms. It's all starting to make more sense now. Hormones can really do a number on you! Thanks so much for all the support! It's amazing how we can all identify with each other in so many of these areas.

Venezia

Old 01-13-2005, 08:09 PM   #15
    Moonrize
    (female)

Moonrize HB User

Yep,I often cough when I get the palpitations,can't seem to help it.My doc even made me wear a 24 hour holter moniter,(like a mini ekg they strap to you)and it came out fine.Peri and stress can cause all of it..

Closed Thread