It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• testing, pharmasist, Suzanne Somers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User
    testing, pharmasist, Suzanne Somers

I got the results of salvia test today. The pharmasists and doctor here in my town attend seminars conducted by the Doctor that did the research Suzanne Somers uses. That same Doctor of Suzanne Somers is affliated with the lab that my saliva test goes to. I didn't know this until today when I ask the pharmasist where and how he gets his information on the saliva test. He said he uses the lab affiliated with the Suzanne Somers Doctor. This all seems a little like a conflict of interest but at the same time I feel relieved they are attending workshops with someone that is supposedly up on this information. My pharmasists does also send the results from the lab to the doctor here that goes to these seminars and he prescribes me the hormones.

The progesterone level did go up I was in the low range and now in the more mid range although he said I could use more. Also now I have been told that while my estrogen is in a normal range it could stand to be little higher that I could just use estrogen cream at night before bed to help with hot flashes. I told him about feeling so out of it and weeping and mentally kooky. He said it really can be hormonal. One thing I found interesting is the use of hormones like the prempro he said does not protect the breast like the use of the natural progesterone from breast cancer. So it might relieve some of the symptoms but not help with protection if I changed to prempro. The doctor I wish I could remember his name, that did all this reseach that helped Suzanne Somers about the natural hormones was actually investigating cancer research. And he found out this stuff. Does anyone know about this or read anything about Suzanne Somers and the doctor that she got the information from? I would really like to know what to think about this. I was a little surprised the pharmasist telling me this, maybe I am to suspisious or something. The lab when I called them they have an education department that has someone that can explain the results that is kind of neat. If you really have trouble understanding what is being said by the doctors.

I also had my DHEA and cortisol check. The DHEA was good but he said the cortisol wasn't horrible. I wasn't showing actual adrenal exhaustion but it wasn't great either. I will need to talk to my doctor more about it. I hope its ok me posting this information about my tests. Maybe someone can take something away from it. I don't really have anyone to tell this to that is all that interested. I am hoping at some point the symptoms will get much better. I see the hormone doctor on Feb 3 to futher get information and medication. thanks, Linda

Last edited by Linma2428; 01-19-2005 at 06:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
    Re: testing, pharmasist, Suzanne Somers

Is the doctor you mentioned Uzzi Reiss? He was one of the doctors she mentioned and he wrote something in the book. He also had written a fabulous book on peri-menopause and menopause, I suggest women get it. There is a lot of good info and help in it.
    He was my doctor for a while and I will probably be going back to him, although now he is so popular and his office prices have risen. He is a gynocologist, but recently someone I know met him at a health conference and he gave my friend ( a male) suggestions on his prostrate cancer. My friend said since he started taking many of the supplements that Uzzi suggested his blood tests are better to.
    Anyway, Uzzi is in Bevery Hills and he is an amazing man of knowledge and is really helping women alot.

Old 01-20-2005, 01:13 AM   #3
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi Armadillo, I decided to look up the lab I send my samples to on the internet. My pharmasist said it was the lab this doctor started. Its David Zava Phd. He wrote the book What your doctor may not be telling you about breast cancer. The lab is ZRT. It seems to all fit together ok as far as the doctors here getting their information from him. I am going to ask my doctor more about where they get their training when I go on the 3 of Feb. I hope you can get back to your doctor. I did see his name in Suzannes book but I figured it wasn't him as the one I was looking for was more into the cancer part and a phd not a gyno. I should have thought about looking up the lab online before I posted this message. It still doesn't mean my doctor and pharmasist really know him. It does seem to be ok though. I have been told 3 different thoughts on the hormone replacement by different doctors its hard to know who is right. thanks, Linda

Last edited by Linma2428; 01-20-2005 at 01:26 AM.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

When I did my saliva tests (I have done 2) both times my progesterone was extemely high. I'm having a hard time finding out what this means as far as symptoms. My estrogen wasin normal range. It is so confusing. I didn't know you could go to the lab's web site for info on this. The first test I did my testosterone was high. The second test they didn't check that.

Old 01-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi Jacq, from what I read it said. Greater-than-normal values may mean
    High progesterone levels may indicate pregnancy. High levels can also indicate a tumor of the ovaries or adrenal glands, a molar pregnancy, or overproduction of hormones by the adrenal glands. Your doctor should try and find out what might be causing a higher than normal reading. I hope you find out what is going on. It might not be anything to serious. Linda

Closed Thread