It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Menopause migraine syndrome?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
    pat52
    (female)

pat52 HB User
    Menopause migraine syndrome?

I have been having vertigo like symptoms for aobut 4 months now. Been through MRI, C-Scan, blood work, valium treatment for "BPPV" went to a new neurologist today-wants me to take Depakote. Says I'm having "mini" migraines symptoms -(no headaches) just dizziness /light headiness and off balance. He says this is common for some women going through "the change"
    Anyone ever heard of this? I am a little skeptical - and not really wanting to take a seizure medication. Any comments-greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2005, 04:42 PM   #2
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: Menopause migraine syndrome?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pat52
    I have been having vertigo like symptoms for aobut 4 months now. Been through MRI, C-Scan, blood work, valium treatment for "BPPV" went to a new neurologist today-wants me to take Depakote. Says I'm having "mini" migraines symptoms -(no headaches) just dizziness /light headiness and off balance. He says this is common for some women going through "the change"
    Anyone ever heard of this? I am a little skeptical - and not really wanting to take a seizure medication. Any comments-greatly appreciated!

I have totally heard of being dizzy and off balance during the change. Oh my God, I'm one of them. But I have never heard of this desguised migraine. Maybe, who knows. Neurologists are usually into it all.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:02 PM   #3
    Laura_45
    (female)

Laura_45 HB User

I've been a migraine sufferer for over 20 years. They have definitely changed over time and with the changing of hormones. I generally get two a month, one for ovulation and one just before my period. They're no longer one side of my head, need to lie down in a dark room with an ice pack kind of headache. They are more physical, almost like the flu and the pain starts in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades and goes up the back of my neck. Bright lights at night will have colored rings around them a day or two before a mirgraine... that never used to happen. As for Depakote, my boss takes that for migraines. I use Excedrin and have for years. That works for most migraine sufferers. You have to take it when you first notice one coming on. I seem to remember reading somewhere that Depakote is also a form of anti-depressant, so you might want to double check that if your'e concerned about taking those kinds of medications. Try Excedrin next time you're having those symptoms and see if it helps. It has caffiene, asprin and acetomeniphen in it.

Hope this helps,
    Laura

Old 02-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
    Nance77
    (female)

Nance77 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pat52
    Hi ..I am 47 and am in peri menopause...I have been getting these symptoms also....The worst is the spinning vertigo, but luckily I dont get that very often and it only lasts a few seconds...But I feel dizzy and off balance most of the time...I also have migraines but they are not as typical as they used to be...On Sunday morning, I turned over in bed and had the spinning vertigo (which made me think it was BPPV), but was fine after....The next day I got a terrible migraine/sinus headache (not always sure what it is) and felt dizzy and off balance, but no spinning...After the headache went away, I felt ok, but I notice the dizziness always seems to occur before a migraine/sinus type headache...I have been getting more headaches also since in peri, so from all I have been reading, this is common...
    Hope you are feeling better...For me an Advil/Sinus seems to help and sometimes a Benadryl..I dont really want to take any meds either if I dont have to...I also have Xanax when all this stresses me out, and it seems to help!
    Take Care
    Nancy

Closed Thread