It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Headaches

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
    Goldengirl1

Goldengirl1 HB User
    Unhappy Headaches

I have read on the boards that some of you have experienced headaches during peri, do any of you rememeber how they started? I have been having constant headaches for 6 1/2 weeks now. It started with dizziness and hot flashes. OTC drugs are not doing much good!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
    swf
    (female)

swf HB User
    Re: Headaches

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldengirl1
    I have read on the boards that some of you have experienced headaches during peri, do any of you rememeber how they started? I have been having constant headaches for 6 1/2 weeks now. It started with dizziness and hot flashes. OTC drugs are not doing much good!!
    I also have the same question GG. For the last couple of weeks, I've had headaches daily. At first I thought it was allergies or sinuses, but I don't have allergies and the sinus pills don't help. Also, over the last 6 months I've noticed that I'm losing my hair!! It's right around my hairline in front and it looks like I have 2 cowlicks, but I've finally realized that I'm losing it! And, last but not least, for the last couple of months, I wake up in the middle of the night drenched in sweat. I've never had a hot flash, but I guess this is what's called a night sweat? I'm 45 years old and STILL have a period like clockwork every dang month that lasts for about 5 days. I'm on Yasmin and Zoloft to help with terrible PMS and cramps. Can someone tell me if this is what perimenopause is? Gee, we women have it so great, don't we? From losing hair to sweating to death to moodiness. GRRRRR. Thanks in advance for your input.

Everyone is someone else's weirdo.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #3
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Evening Primrose Oil is suppose to help headaches. I went thru a time when my head felt weird for months. I would go to bed with headaches, wake up with headaches. They were not typical pounding like headaches either. Almost like a spacey feeling, things didn't seem clear. Fuzzy brain, maybe? Felt like something was wrapped around my head. I thought they were sinus headaches too and took Motrin Sinus and/or Sudafed but they didn't help at all. Told my dr. about it and he said I could take Advil (not to exceed 9 pills/day) - that didn't give any relief either. Lasted 4-5 months for me. Very bad way to feel daily.

You might want to try cold compresses over your head and eyes for a little relief. If you take EPO, like most vits, you have to consistent about it.

Last edited by molly123; 02-20-2005 at 08:57 PM.

Old 02-21-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
    Goldengirl1

Goldengirl1 HB User

Thanks for replying Molly - I had seen where you had posted in the past on your headaches? Did you or has anyone else tried the OTC medication for migranes such as Excedrin Migrane? Did it work?

Old 02-21-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

HI GG,
    I did try almost every OTC pain reliever on the market and done of them really gave that much relief. I have tried Excedrin Migrane too and, if I recall, it gave little relief and after a while, it was the same thing At the time, I was popping so many OTC pain relievers at the time (a different type/brand each day) and was jotting down what I was taking to see how I felt so I can see what works best....none provided full relief. I really didn't start feeling better overall until I was put on Paxil CR. Of course, I don't know if it's the Paxil that did the "cure" for me or if it was just a coincidence with the timing with my peri symptoms going away and me transitioning into menopause.

Sorry if I'm not much help.....
    molly

Old 02-22-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
    Laura_45
    (female)

Laura_45 HB User

Do your sinuses get plugged up at all? I used to be able to get my headaches to go away with Tylenol Allergy and Sinus formula. If you suspect it might be sinuses you can get a prescription for some antibiotics and steroid nasal spray. That's what I did about a month ago and I'm getting fewer headaches. I only get one when I haven't used the spray for a few days or skip a meal (low blood sugar.) I think it's something to do with the weather and being kinda immune suppressed from all the hormone fluctuations. I dunno, just a guess.

Anyway, good luck... I hate headaches and have been struggling with them off and on for decades. In fact, just had one today. BLECH!!

Laura

Old 02-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #7
    Sissypie
    Veteran
    (female)

Sissypie HB User

My migraines returned after years of not having any, and the neurologist told me that migraines, and other headaches are associated with the hormone fluxuation that happens during peri menopause.

I currently take 800 mgs of Ibuprofen with a diet coke at the very first sign of my headache. It doesn't always take it away completely, but it does lessen the severity.

Some people can't take high doses of Ibuprofen, so you should check with a doctor. I've been taking Ibuprofen for 20 years with no problems, but some people are sensitive.

Hope you are feeling better.

Closed Thread