It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Facial hair and what to do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2005, 11:25 AM   #1
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User
    Facial hair and what to do?

Today as I was plucking whats left of my unabrow I noticed I am getting more and more fuzz on my face. How is it the eye brows don't grow back but you grow hair on your face? I notice for example my side burns are getting thicker and I have more fuzz around my mouth and even on my chin. I am almost 42 I feel too young to feel this bad. It's bad enough to feel bad on the inside but when the outside matches it really is not fun
    Does anyone else have this problem? If so any helpful tips?
    Thanks xo

Last edited by Bell99; 02-24-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
    Beach Bum
    (female)

Beach Bum HB User
    Re: Facial hair and what to do?

Hi Bell,

Yes I too have fur on my face. I am 43. When my sister who is six years older started getting a fuzzy face I thought it was funny. Not anymore. Yep, your hair and eyebrows get thinner and then you get hair where you don't want it. What's really fun is the rogue coarse chin hair. The first one I got my husband was the first to spot it. And to make it worse he pointed it out in the presense of his ex. He is still paying for that one 3 years later.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

I haven't been blessed with the course ones YET! Do you do anything for it? Please tell me there is something we can do!?! My husband is 7 years younger so I feel old, old old!

Old 02-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #4
    moms_four
    (female)

moms_four HB User

BLEACH BLEACH BLEACH.... I not only have the mustache I also got hair under my lower lip and it was black..YIKES. so i bleach it once a week and it doesnt show that much. My husband (God bless him) never says anything, just tells me I get more beautiful every year. That helps alot!
    We are all in this together and it helps so much to hear other women going though the same things I am. Keep up the support.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:31 AM   #5
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Mine is already white LOL I was hoping there was a perminent removal process.
    What type of bleach do you use, in case mine turn black?
    I go on the 19th to ask for a test I am already anticiapting hearing "your too young" but I am going to insist on it.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #6
    Linma2428
    Veteran
    (female)

Linma2428 HB User

Hi I tell you what I use one of those little blade cutters you see on TV and at the drug store they are like 10 -14 dollars.
    I use it on my whole face. My jaw line side burns and lip. I then use it on my eyebrow area. I don't want any hair on my face then I don't have dry skin stuck in with the hair. Also its easier to exfoliate. I also use it on my arms and feet and fingers. Jewlery looks so much better on a smooth arm. I have naturally blond hair already on my face and it looks terrible even being blonde on me. When its fuzzy and I wear makeup it get in the hair. If you ever get rid of it through this means or any other and see how much smoother it looks you will never go back to having hair. I know some don't mind it but for me I like being a unhairy as I possible. There is so little I can do about my appearance at this age 49 this one thing makes me feel so much better about myself. Hope I didn't anger any one about this its such a personal thing. I have either shaved or used this on my face and other places for 10 years. Linda

Last edited by Linma2428; 02-25-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
    bellsudev
    (female)

bellsudev HB User

At first I only had a few dark hairs around my lips and chin, now Iam covered with down and started using the little shaver your talking about it works for me.

Old 02-25-2005, 05:34 PM   #8
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Thanks, at least those are inexpensive, I will get one this weekend. It doesn't come in even thicker does it? Don't they sell in home electrolosis kits? Maybe that was just a fantacy or dream I had sigh................

Old 02-25-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
    Hangin in There
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hangin in There HB User

I bought one of those and sent it back. They advertised it as discreet, but it made a really loud buzzing sound. To me it looked like a skinny noisy electric razor and I was afraid of stubble and having to shave with it every day.

Old 02-26-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
    seekalot
    Inactive

seekalot HB User

Hello, friends -- I posted a long-ish response in a thread in "Women's Health" section to a post titled "Help, thick dark hair, I feel like a yetta" or something like that. It's too depressing to me to rewrite everything , but you could check it out.

I will say, bottom line -- I had excess thick, dark hair from my early teens especially on the chin and upper lip. Tweezing and depilatories (Nair, Neet, etc.) just tore my skin up eventually, left lots of ingrown hairs and stubble you couldn't remove -- it was awful. My recommendation is, if possible, try to avoid the tweezing and depilatories. Anything that pulls the hair out from the root instead of clipping or bleaching it at the surface encourages the hair to grow crooked in the follicle, block it, grow back under the skin and make red bumps, ingrown hairs, etc. Instead my experience suggests:

1) if you have only a few hairs and clipping with nail scissors (the easiest) or bleaching makes them inconspicuous enough, that's the easiest and least damaging to your skin long-term.

2) If you have more hair but still just want to need something temporary, use hot wax such as the "Better Off" product -- it's very messy, can hurt and is a nuisance, but left my skin in so much better condition than tweezing, etc. (even healed some of the damage, probably by tearing off the top layer of skin, which sounds icky but I guess is like an exfoliation beauty treatment would do). DO BE VERY CAREFUL -- PATIENCE!! -- TO LET IT COOL ENOUGH NOT TO BURN YOURSELF!

3) If the hair's dark and thick enough and you really want to remove it permanently, go to a skilled laser hair removal expert. Expensive but it has been a dream come true for me after thirty years of half-a***d measures that never really got rid of the hair and were such an ongoing waste of my time. They say facial areas probably need 3-8 10-20 minute treatments in the first six months or so, then maybe twice a year touch-ups. Cost is very much dependent on your area and the maybe the "snob" factor of where you get it done as well as hopefully the skill of the operator. I understand they CAN'T yet remove blonde, white or gray hairs effectively -- the laser depends on the constrast between skin color (hopefully light) and hair color (hopefully dark) to select the hair.

The laser hair removal even healed basically all the damage to my skin (bumps, ingrown hair, wierd permanent stubbly spots) that years of tweezing, etc. had caused. (Again, like with the temporary at-home waxing I did, I guess it was like an exfoliation effect of removing the top layer of skin so the fresh underneath skin can grow and heal.)

Well, that's my experience...good luck to all on an exasperating problem. Just be thankful you didn't have to deal with it for 30 years like I did before I finally found good solutions! (the hot wax as a temporary measure, then best of all, for permanent removal the laser)

If you check out laser, be sure to find a skilled and experienced operator even if it costs more, as the laser has the potential to seriously damage (burn) your skin.

Old 03-01-2005, 09:43 AM   #11
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Maybe your male/female hormones are out of balance. You can get blood test from the doctor or saliva tests on line.

Yes, women have male hormones, but they are about 1/10 the levels of men.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:33 AM   #12
    rhonda45

rhonda45 HB User

I am now 46 and through with menopause at least according to my dr... yipee!! The only problem is that I had a very low in fact nonexistant libido. The dr. did a test for me and my male hormone were very low.. so now I get monthly shots.. has helped the libido GREATLY, alas... my chin whiskers are now a beard. I have gone to get the laser treatment once already ($75. for each session) and am going again today. It really seems to help. I asked hubby which he wanted..... to fork over $75 for laser treatments a few times or no sex... needless to say he chose the $75.

Old 03-01-2005, 11:48 AM   #13
    Bell99
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bell99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhonda45
    I am now 46 and through with menopause at least according to my dr... yipee!! The only problem is that I had a very low in fact nonexistant libido. The dr. did a test for me and my male hormone were very low.. so now I get monthly shots.. has helped the libido GREATLY, alas... my chin whiskers are now a beard. I have gone to get the laser treatment once already ($75. for each session) and am going again today. It really seems to help. I asked hubby which he wanted..... to fork over $75 for laser treatments a few times or no sex... needless to say he chose the $75.
    How funny. You are lucky to be done!!
    Is the laser a permanent fix after several treatments?? I go on the 19th to get my hormones checks.

Old 03-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #14
    moms_four
    (female)

moms_four HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bell99
    Mine is already white LOL I was hoping there was a perminent removal process.
    What type of bleach do you use, in case mine turn black?
    I go on the 19th to ask for a test I am already anticiapting hearing "your too young" but I am going to insist on it.
    I just use the Sally Hansens Cream Hair Bleach.

I thought that would be the safer route, shaving my legs taught me the hair grows back thicker, coarser and darker. I did not want that on my face. You are lucky to have white hair, if it was me i would just leave it. Using scissors on it will also make the hair darker, my neighbor does it and she has darker hair on her face now and she is blonde. Being a women does have its drawbacks. But considering the alternative, I will take being a woman..LOL

Old 03-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #15
    seekalot
    Inactive

seekalot HB User

QUOTE: Is the laser a permanent fix after several treatments??

I'm no expert and only speak from my own experience and reading...but it's my understanding that, the last I knew, they are NOT allowed to advertise laser treatment as "permanent" because studies haven't proven it enough yet. I think they can call it "effective long-term" or something? (I suspect soon they WILL be able to call it permanent.)

BUT -- I can testify that for me, after a lifetime of thick dark facial hair, 80 or 90% just hasn't come back after maybe 8 or 9 treatments over about four years. And, just as important, all the horrible dark "clumps" of stubble and shadow and bumps I used to have are completely gone (I think because the surface level of skin was removed by the laser treatment and because I no longer have to keep aggravating the skin by repeated tweezing or waxing the area).

Individual straggler hairs DO re-appear and DO need periodic touch-up treatments, although for $ reasons I haven't gone for over a year and just trim with scissors and it's livable. Because the hairs are so much lighter and thinner trimming makes them pretty much inconspicuous.

In short, I believe it (laser treatment) is the most effective treatment of any BY FAR.

I wanted to add, about electrolysis -- I personally did NOT find electrolyis very effective, after a lot of time and money spent. Supposedly electrolyis is permanent and their operators ARE allowed to claim that. But my experience was that it was almost useless, though I had it almost weekly for several years and spent a fortune on it. With electrolysis they can only find, aim and "fire" at ONE little hair follicle at a time -- but there are thousands of hair follicles on your face! Even then, sometimes they can miss the follicle; sometimes the follicle is damaged and twisted by tweezing or waxing or depilatories so the heat doesn't even get down to the root to kill it; sometimes they figure wrong and use too little current so the current gets there but still doesn't do any good -- not an efficient process at all, in my experience!

Whereas with laser -- the laser beam is a large circle (size of the beam depending on the size of the particular laser) and they "fire" the laser beam in overlapping circles as the operator moves it around the hairy areas -- I don't know the actual density of hair growth, but I assume each "blast" zaps hundreds of hair follicles at once?

By the way, I don't mean to argue but I don't see how clipping the hair with scissors at the surface can cause hair to grow back thicker or darker. Clipping isn't doing anything to the hair root. It doesn't even pull the hair out from the root like tweezing does, just trims it at skin level. I don't see how this could affect hair growth. Perhaps if someone experiences that that seems to happen, maybe the hair is actually growing back thicker and darker for another reason, such as changing hormone levels?

In fact, think about it -- if ANYTHING we did (clipping, tweezing) to remove the hair made it grow back thicker, wouldn't people desperate to find a cure for baldness be glomming onto it?

(But don't forget tweezing, while it lasts longer than clipping, has its downside too -- namely, eventually you start getting bumps, ingrown hairs, areas of "stubble" you can't remove because the follicles get twisted and damaged so the hair doesn't grow straight to the surface.

So...I stand by what I suggested in my previous post:
    1) easiest is to clip with nail scissors or bleach if that makes it look okay;
    2) if not, use a wax like Better-Off (messy and temporary, but as long as you are careful not to burn yourself, leaves your skin in better shape);
    3) most expensive but long-term effective (since they're not allowed to say permanent), laser treatment.
    And I would suggest for the long-term benefit of your skin, try to stay away from depilatories (like Nair or Neet) and tweezing.

Closed Thread