It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Feel like a WRECK..AGAIN!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Feel like a WRECK..AGAIN!!

Hi to everyone,

Well, the peri symptoms I had rampantly last year from late Feb , all of March and on and off to a lesser extent in April and a bit in May have reared their very ugly heads AGAIN!! I just need to vent and also hear that others have had this happen ...where things crop up aagain. I just do not understand why that happens...but I guess I do..our hormones are all over the place.

As some of you know who have been so kind to me thru all this and we have conversed, I turned 50 last year..up until late 40s periods were on time, then had the irregular periods where they come early , now they seem to be later...got my last one at day 47...about 2 weeks ago. NOW...feel like I am going to get it again in terms of physical symptoms...PMS like. I swear it is like I am in a constant state of feeling it is coming even when it is not.

Last night was terrible. I experienced for the first time what I have read on here..the "internal jitters" and also external...I was so upset I actually shook. The side ache that I have discussed on here and I know Twanger and Molly123 as far as 2 of those on here get or have got, in the iliac crest area was bothering me big time. Not like doubling over , but just THERE in a way that was bothersome. Using a heating pad helped me and for the first time in a long time I took a Xanax that the doctor did give me for anxiety and that helped. So I know in my mind that if it were anything serious it would not just go away and I also am up to date with my doctor appts, had bloodwork in Nov during my annual and a Pap then and even a pelvic utlrasound. SO...you would think I'd get it in my head that it is all peri. I turned to this board last night to re-read posts that all you wonderful people have shared about your symptoms and there it was..all that I was experiencing last night :

--gas, bubbling in different areas on and off, upper, lower, you name it, just as you all have described and as I have experienced last year..but it went away..so WHY is it back and WHEN will it go away?? I had 8-9 months free of it and so I am like...WHY are you back now????

--IBS symptoms type symptoms of some constipation , which I rarely get, but it was like Ifelt I had to go but didn't. Then had diahhrea which I think was just that I uspet my system so. General twinges in the intestinal area.

--shoulder was aching on the right which was ironic as when I opened up the healthboard there were people talking about that!! ice seemed to help this and calming down...I think my muscles were one big knot which I know does not help the intestines either.

--then near my ribs as has been mentioned on here, it was achy. Of course my mind flew to gallbladder but I know from friends who have had attacks it is more intense, does not just go away and is not helped by a heating pad which mind was. It was more muscular and like the whole illiac crest area near pelvis and hip was bothering me and up to the rib too which is probably all connected to. I think Twanger wrote about some muscle system from our breastbone to pubic bone that is all connected and if it gets tense it creates all these twinges...I think that was happening to me.

Today I do not feel it, I do feel a bit gassy like I would when I am mid cycle or when my period is coming. I am still shaky and upset a bit but not like last night. I figured when I woke up that I survived so know it is peri, but why does our minds jump to other things and make it worse. I was a mess last night.

I have a little bit of twinges and I know due to my hip/back problems ( i have a degeneration in the back area) that the gyn and dr. both said that can affect that whole pelvic area and the muscles being so entwined with the intestines it does affect it. But I just cannot think rationally when this happens.

The costochondritis that was mentioned in the shoulder thread I was told I had a few years ago and that is all near the breastbone and so I think that is affected to.

To any of you who get any of the above, how do you cope when it comes back? Also with the intestinal issues that come with peri are there things that you are avoiding food wise that help to avoid?

As far as vitamins I am taking Vit b, multi and was taking Estroven, now am trying to be better at taking it again. Also was taking acidophholis (spelling is wrong I know) and am going back to that. I guess I have not been faithful to the regime I was on with all that.

any help would be appreciated and I thank you all for the posts you have written on here in the past, I read quite a few last night that I know I have read before but it helped to re read them and calm myself. The thing that bothered me is that I saw some of my own from June on and I was talking about how the symptoms I had earlier last year were gone and I just was so disappointed and upset last night that they were back!! It is not as bad I think but I do not want to get it to that point!!

Thanks again and sorry for this very long, very rambling, very frantic post.

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
Laura_45
(female)

Laura_45 HB User
Re: Feel like a WRECK..AGAIN!!

Hi... These upheavals will go in cycles as the hormones are changing in our body. As the ovaries are shutting down and FSH/LH hormones elevate, it affects nearly every part. As the estrogen is moved from the reproductive system to fat cells, many parts are affected also. A good for instance is; estrogen has a protective factor for the liver. This presents a problem for people with chronic hepatitis (like me) because as normally available estrogen drops, the liver becomes a lot more vulnerable to the virus that causes damage. It's a major upset to the body and it ebbs and flows, that's why it feels like "it's back." Just think if this happened all at once... we probably would be dead by now.

The way I handle it is to think, the more I go thru these phases the closer I am to the end. I've had two major upheavals so far, once when peri started and another the second time I started skipping periods; the first time I started skipping was mild in comparison.

My recommendation would be to cut back on animal protein and dairy because they clog your system. I've been a lot happier on soy-based products and lots of raw vegetables, some fruit, fish, lots of whole grains and a ton of water. Stay away from simple sugars and caffiene products also. Get some exercise, sunshine and some fresh air and rest. Sounds like the same ol recommendation everyone gets for lots of situations, but if you can do it, you'd be surprised at how much better you'll feel, inside and out. It's not a cure all, but should make things easier. I have a lot less hot flashes and night sweats, still kinda tired, but have other reasons for that too.

Hang in there, you're probably getting close, so it will be harder for a little while. Don't forget to pamper your body during this time.

Hugs to you,
Laura

Last edited by Laura_45; 03-06-2005 at 10:21 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Laura,

Thanks so much for the reply and good advice. It makes sense with the estrogen levels dropping it is going to affect different areas and hence the twinges, and changes and ups and downs Hard to keep in mind when we are going thru it for sure.

Thanks for the tips about what has helped you. I really appreciate it and am trying to incorporate more exercise again , which I have been lax with due to just feeling so crummy lately. But have been better with it this past week.

The dietary advice makes a lot of sense and is something good to be reminded of.

I just appreciate knowing others are going thru it too and have had the fluctuations like this. It really helps.

Today I was in tears , just so raw emotionally , but the other symptoms were better. I am thinking too that hopefully I am at the tailend of all of this peri stuff and that is why it is like this now

Thanks again , I truly appreciate it.

Hope you had a good weekend,

rmc

Old 03-07-2005, 10:22 AM   #4
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi RMC,

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad again! I know it's frustrating. I hope you're feeling better today. I didn't have the fluctuations like you and some of the others but I can understand feeling frantic about it all! Your hormones are probably wacking out again. With me, it just hit me one day the year I was 50. First of all, remember that you gone thru all your drs./tests and everything is normal. Now, I know this is all easier to say than to do BUT try not to worry and get yourself all worked up b/c the anxiety isn't good. Tell yourself constantly that what you're going thru is just meno related and that it'll go away. It can be a rough ride and I didn't think it was going to go away for me, but it did. At first, I had the constant fear that it would come back but I made up my mind to "fight it" and not let it get to me--I was determined to not feel bad again! Brrrr!!

You also said you experienced the "internal jitters" the very first time the other night! My gosh! I hated those - I can cry just thinking about those! Mine were always came on in the middle of the night and lasted until morning. Take magnesium at bedtime...I really think it helps (not a quick fix, but in a long run it makes a difference). If you have to, take an anti-anxiety med at bedtime...it helps also.

I did a search on achy joints and the shoulders is a cause from menopause. I don't have the achy shoulders - but my aches/pain have been better lately (right side of hip/waist/iliac crest area). My joints seem to click a lot when I bend but if I lay on a hard surface and move right my leg around, I can click myself into place and I would feel better! It is actually amazing! LOL! I am also taking Aleve or aspirin.

You gotta help yourself thru this time period and by doing (1) take your vits, regliously! Taking a multi is fine but make sure you that it's enough mg. Check out the power-surge board - they have a women's multi there that is higher in comparison to many other multis. You might want to add magnesium, evening primrose oil, flaxseed oil, vit b12, b6 to your pile too; (2) don't listen to any stressful/upsetting news; (3) don't bother w/laundry, cleaning, etc. if you don't feel like it; (4) try to relax, meditate; (5) eat more green vegs and fruits; (6) do a little exercise if you have the energy; (7) have a good cry and tell yourself you're not dying, you'll live and b/c molly said so; and (8) let us know how you're doing!!

Sometimes I just wonder if this whole menopause stuff is a test on how well you can tolerate feeling horrible, how patient and strong you are...

molly

Old 03-07-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

HI Molly,

Thanks so much for your post. Since your symptoms have often sounded similar to mine I appreciate your response as it helps me to remember that you had this and others too I know and you, as you said survived.

The anxiety does not help, you are right. I remember reading somehere that it also creates more acidity in our stomach which can't help either!!

The achiness today as i am sitting here at my desk on break , is in that same area we have talked about and if I stretch it feels better. So what should that tell me?!! : ) I used a heating pad on Sat night and it did help as did taking the anti-anxiety med. So rationally I know that those two things would not help if it were serious, but I am not often rational thru this !! LOL!! I think when that twingey feeling radiates near the rib area it freaks me out but I know others have felt it and also it does not at all have anything to do with what I eat so I know it is not related to that which should assure me. It is just so nagging at times it gets the better of me I am afraid.

I am current with my Pap and had the pelvic utltrasound and blood tests so you are right I should keep that in mind and it should assure me. I have not had a colonoscopy which I know we all should have when we are 50 and older. Our insurance does not cover it till 55 unless there is a problem. But I think I would be having other symptoms if it were that anyway or the doctor would insist on it. Also it is really linked with my hip and back and muscular too which is all near the intestines so it does affect them I know and hence the aches, etc. And that is what the gyn said , that they are so entwined.

Thanks for recommending the power surge site for info on a mulit vitamin that may be more appropriate. I will definitely look at it.

You mentioned magnesium. I have read a bit about it , but there is so much I have read it all seems to run together!! How does it help us at this time? How many mg. do you take? Did your dr. suggest it? Do we need to take it at a certain time or with anything? Does the evening primose just help in general of just for hot flashes? Sorry for all the questions!! I do not get hot flashes at all, and it is the one symptom that I heard the most about when we were growing up and you'd hear about menopause!! So I think that is funny and frankly I think we were all duped as there are tons of other symtpoms!! LOL!!

Thanks for reassuring me about the aches (shoulder, etc) and joint aches in various areas being part of this all. It is something I was telling people in posts when I felt better a good portion of last year (i had my worse flare up late Feb and March last year and on and off into early May), and you'd think reading my posts to myself would show me i did survive and I can again!! But again we are not at our most rational at this time I know.

I was in tears yesterday , with emotions running at a high just like being in PMS really and it almost feels like midcylce. I am doing better today and I am trying to not let it all get the better of me.

Glad that your right side of hip/waist/iliac crest area is doing better and that is encouraging. How long did you deal with that when you were in peri?

I am going to try to make what you said my mantra :

"Tell yourself constantly that what you're going thru is just meno related and that it'll go away." and "you'll live and b/c molly said so"!! : )

thanks so much, Molly for all your continual help to this sometimes frantic peri-nut!!

rmc

Old 03-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #6
newbie5
(female)

newbie5 HB User

Hi Rmc,

I hope you are feeling better today! I can SO relate to what you are going through! I had a post awhile back titled something like: Help! Relapse! or something like that. I did exactly what you did and came to this board and read old posts to help to reassure myself. I swear it seems to hit us like a ton of bricks-and I take estrogen and an anti-anxiety pill! Hate to see myself if I didn't! I am feeling somewhat better (knock on wood), but I feel like I am walking on eggshells waiting for my next "relapse". I don't feel that I can plan anything in the future because I'm afraid I'll be having "another breakdown"! Anyway, I probably didn't do much to help you, but I just wanted you to know that I can totally relate and you are not alone!

Old 03-07-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Newbie5,

Thank you for responding!! I do remember your post as I was one of the people who responded and I just looked and that was Feb. 15th!! So I started with a bit of the relapse of sorts in early to mid Feb and it has been fluctuating ever since. Obviously it was at another height this past weekend with the anxiety as you can gather.

I am feeling a bit better today, thank you. Still feeling some of the symptoms but not as badly and I am better today in trying to talk myself out of getting overly anxious. Not always successful with that!! and I seem to take it by an hourly to hourly basis as to how I am coping with it or day to day!! But you are right , that in reading others posts it helps to reassure us all.

Boy you said a mouthful when you said it Hits like a Ton of bricks!! Yes it does!! as I said I noticed in really early Feb that I was having some familiar symptoms I dealt with last year and it has fluctuated on and off since then, more on than off and it all is about fluctuating hormones I know. sometimes I cope better than other times!! I know last year after a few months of really tough symtpoms , it subsided and I just had the usual pre -period feelings and some irregular periods as far as timeframe, but nothing I could not cope with. But I did as you did ..walking on eggshells waiting for the symtpoms to reappear and hoping they would not Then I just forgot about it as it was a good 8 months or more that I have not felt that badly. I did a pretty good job forgetting as now that I have the symptoms again I just have not seemed to be able to tell myself that hey, you went thru this once and survived so it will pass and be fine.

I guess we just have to keep re-reading everyone's reassurance that they got thru it, or are getting thru it with the same symptoms and hopefully that gets us all thru it!!

Thanks for your post and hope you are having a good day,

rmc

Old 03-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
Laura_45
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

That's funny, 8 months is about how long I go in-between train wrecks. How long do yours usually last, or did you already say? heehee... I've been on a train wreck for going on two months, can you tell? Like you said, it hit me like a ton o' bricks too. All the anxiety and negativity and anger just comes out of nowhere. Don't know about you but I usually suffer an aftermath as well. This one seems to be going on and on, feeling like cra*-ola. UGH!!

Sorry to hear you've been crying... I know how that is, for sure. Sometimes I wish I could take something like a lot of women here do, but I can't so that makes it even harder. (pity party... )

Just know that we are here for you and here's a bunch of

******************************{HUGS!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Laura

Old 03-07-2005, 09:31 PM   #9
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Laura,

Train wreck is a good way to describe it!! As far as how long mine last...last year was my first experience with it all to that extent and it started in late Feb. , went thru March and then had it on and off in April and it tapered off in May. Then POOF, gone as far as those most annoying symptoms. Just went back to garden variety PMS symptoms and some anxiety but not anything that was as bad. Then the symptoms reappeared it seems in early Feb of this year. It is not as bad as last year in that I know it is all related to peri...or at least I USUALLY can tell myself that!! But obviously this weekend and lately I was not successful in listening to myself!!

and yes, it seems to be going on and on when one is in the thick of it.I remember last year I never thought it would end. We had two trips for my 50th last year that we went to and one was nearby but one was to DIsneyworld and I was very upset I was not feeling totally like myself. But that was in mind May and that is when the symptoms stopped to that extent. Guess I should go to Disneyworld again!! LOL!! Funny thing is I KNOW I have been thru it all and survived it but I tend to forget that when I get so ridden with anxiety as I have been.

I do think the muscluar/skeletal issues I have do not help that is for sure as it is all tied in to the pelvic area where we are having discomfort anyway during this all.

I did go to the gym today and it was slow going but ent. I was faithful to all my vitamins and supplements and am going to be consistent with that as that helped last year. Right now I am using a heating pad as I am writing this and that helps with the aching and a dip in our hot tub after exercising did too , just to relax I think.

The crying and emotional part and anxiety is like PMS magnified 1,000 times in peri it seems!! And taking something occasionally for the anxiety right now is what I guess I am going to have to do as I did last year when I needed to. It does help.

Thanks so much for being there and it does help to know that others know what I am experiencing. I keep telling myself that and it helps get thru things somehow. Most of my friends are not experiencing it to this extent so it does help to know that others are, although I do not wish it on anyone. But it is good to know one is not alone.

Thanks for the post, the hugs and hugs back to you and hope this is a good week for you.

rmc

Old 03-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #10
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi RMC,
Please feel free to vent whenever you feel like it - that is why we're all here. You sound better today! No one understand better than those who are going or have experienced the same thing. I am aware of how bad some of these symptoms can be!! Been there!

Re the magneisum - I take 500 mg at bedtime - have been doing so for a year now. Sometimes I will take 500 mg during the day too. No, my dr. didn't tell me to take anything. He was clueless esp. after all these tests and specialists that he sent me to w/all results coming back normal. I remember saying to him "so, am I suppose to just deal with this and feel like this?" He did say I could try HRT for a short time. I didn't want to go on HRT and I was in tears when I was in his office!! Thinking back, I was such a bad basket case!!! If my sister's co-worker who is a woman dr. didn't even recommend me taking the Paxil Cr, my dr. wouldn't have prescribed it to me.

As with these supplements, I took steps to take care of myself - alot of the info I found from boards like this but mostly from the power-surge board. I found out about the peri-zappers and on Dr. Phil did a show on meno and what his wife did. I take almost all the peri-zappers. If you don't have the book, this is what it says:

- Peri symptoms such as mood swings, insomnia, anxiety, tissue dryness and water retention are alleviated by combining: Vit B complex incl. 50-100 mg of B6; 1000 mg of Vit C 3X/day; 500-1000 mg of Magnesim before sleeping. When horomones are better, cut back to 1000 mg Vit C/day and to 400 IU of Vit E.

- For breast tenderness, mood changse, anxiety, irritability, headaches, water retention - take 1000 mg of Evening Primrose Oil/daily after food.

- For all-around peri balance, esp. for skin conditons, depression, fatigue: take 2 tbsp of flaxseed oil high in lignans. Swallow as us or use as salad dressing or topping for grains and veggies (don't cook w/it).

RMC, I know you said you haven't experienced any hot flashes yet. Maybe you will never get them (keep your fingers crossed), but they were one of the last symtpoms I started having. Once I told my dr. about those, that's when he finally said it was menopause. Taking soy isoflavone can help alleviate it somewhat but I personally think it just has to run its course too.

I have been feeling fine for 1-1/4 year now...scared of feeling bad again so I'm still taking all the peri-zappers.

Keep your chin up!
molly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc12
You mentioned magnesium. I have read a bit about it , but there is so much I have read it all seems to run together!! How does it help us at this time? How many mg. do you take? Did your dr. suggest it? Do we need to take it at a certain time or with anything? Does the evening primose just help in general of just for hot flashes? Sorry for all the questions!! I do not get hot flashes at all, and it is the one symptom that I heard the most about when we were growing up and you'd hear about menopause!! So I think that is funny and frankly I think we were all duped as there are tons of other symtpoms!! LOL!!rmc

Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #11
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Thanks Molly for going into such good detail about the Peri Zappers and for replying!!

I have to be honest although I have read about the zappers on this board and read a bit up on them on my own last year, they never seemed to fit what I was going thru...that is the symptoms that they solve. But perhaps it is treating the "Whole" and not always just specifics? I guess with the intestinal situations I have most often been bothered by it didn't sound like the zappers would help that. So I didn't think it would help me with the achiness we have talked about and the ibs issues that are prevalent in peri (gas, etc)

I am going to read up more about it as you suggested and go to the Dr. Phil site as I did hear about the show they did soley on Peri/ and menopause.

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to listing what each "zapper" is noted for. I truly appreciate it. Due to the anxiety it sounds like the Magnesium would be helpful to me to add and just in general. I am taking the amount of B complex that you mentioned, but I know not the Vitamin C and perhaps not that amt. of magnesium is in my multi. Have to check what is in the Estroven but I am sure it might not be that amoutn. so I need to look into it further and add where is needed. I have to do something that is for sure!!

I find that sitting makes me feel that side area near waist and hip much more. It is by no means excruciating , just nagging. I am thinking that when I use the heating pad and have taken xanax to relax it helps it as it is muscle related and things must get so tight around the intestines if our muscles are so tight. Just a theory and it seems to be what I am dealing with due to my back issues.

Thanks again for the great info and for being there.

Glad to hear you are doing well and hope you have a good week.

rmc

Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM   #12
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi RMC,
I take a lot of the peri-zappers even tho I don't necessarily have all the symptoms. I guess I'm taking preventive measures! During the early months when I was feeling bad, I took Estroven but it didn't make any difference. Maybe by you taking the Estroven, that's why you haven't had hot flashes?!? Anyway, below is some info on your stomach problems that might help you. I type fast so don't think this took a lot of effort LOL!

From Dr. Lark's menopause newsletterthat I subscribe to:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome - if you have stomach problems, an irritable bowel or constipation, you may be deficient in two amino acids - phenylalanine and tyrosine - which are also recommended for depression. Consider taking 500 mg of phenylalanine twice daily. If dosage is not effective, increase to 1,000 mg twice daily. If you canmot tolerate phenylalanine, try L-tyrosine instead at the same dosage. Do not take tyrosine in conkunction w/MAO inhibitors and taper off if you start having headaches. Make sure to take 25-100 mg of VIt B6 and a small amount of protein w/your pheylalanine and tyrosine.

From "The Pause" book:
- Gastric Upset constipation, diarrhea and indigestion plagued by flatulence. There are estrogen receptors in the stomach and small intestine which are affected by changing levels of hormones. A decrease in estrogen causes an increase in hydrochloric acid in the stomach which causes stomach upset. Relatively higher progesterone levels relax the intestinal tracts - that means waste takes longer to go thru the bowel. The resutls can be constipation and gas. Estrogen supplementation should help but herbs can be quite effective. Chinese herbal formula Shu Kan Wan counteracts bloating and gas. Chamomile or peppermint tea taken with or after a meal can curtail gas. Eating a bitter herb, such as arugula, turnip greens or mustard greens before meal stimulates digestion. A tspn of psllium husk, found in health food stores, can be mixed with a full glass of water reduces constipation. Can mix psyllium husks w/apple juice also.

Do take care,
Molly

Last edited by molly123; 03-08-2005 at 12:11 PM.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #13
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Thanks Molly.

I am a bit better today. Still obsessing a bit about the twinges, etc. and trying to talk to myself about that. It just feels like it does when I am due for my period, that kind of pressure feeling and the right side feeling like from the ovary but radiating. but not constant. I guess we can feel like we are in a constant state of feeling like we are getting our periods or ovulating sometimes . At least I have read that on here from others. As I said I have to self talk myself about that or my mind goes to other things it may be. And I know that is not good.

Have a physical therapy appt tomorrow for my back, so hopefully that will help me with those issues which I think do inflame things. Thanks again for posting the info and I am sure it will help others too as it has myself.

rmc

Old 03-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #14
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi RMC,
Glad you're feeling a bit better today. Hey, I have that feeling like I'm going to get my period too sometimes - and I feel this pressure on the right ovary too. It's like an ache. It's not a constant pressure either. It is like I'm ovulating but no period. It comes/go but lasts for a few days to a week or so. I haven't had a period for 9 mos. so I haven't even bother keeping track of anything. The main thing is that it goes away and it's not constant...that tells me that my ngine is trying to kick in but I don't have anymore gas and nothin' is working anymore! LOL! Also, you are normal - I too was very obssessive and was dwelling on all my symptoms and how crappy I was feeling everyday. It can't be helped! I drove my sister and anyone near me crazzzzy!

May you have a good evening and a better tomorrow...
molly

Last edited by molly123; 03-08-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Closed Thread