It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Help!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2005, 01:40 PM   #1
dwp512
(male)

dwp512 HB User
Help!

My doctors are beginning to think that I may have chronic fatique syndrome. I thought that might be right until I started reading this board. I have been very fatiqued for the past 6-8 weeks and the only thing they could find (after extensive testing) was a low estrogen level. No one seems to think it's perimenopause because I'm 45 and still having semi-regular periods. However, I have experienced most, if not all of the symptoms others have written in about...

debilitating fatique
Depression (I'm currently on lexapro although it's not working)
sadness
nasuea and gagging feeling in the am
anxiety
muscle twitches and jerks
leg pain and muscle aches
weight loss
night sweats
dizziness and shakiness..espcially in the am
brain fog

Does this sound familar to anyone?

jp

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
newbie5
(female)

newbie5 HB User
Re: Help!

Hello and welcome! I can totally relate to your post! I am 41 and have had (and still have) some of the same symptoms down to the twitches and jerks. What was your estrogen level? Mine also came back low at 30 and I am currently taking Premarin. I can not imagine that your doctor does not think it could be perimenopause because of your age! I believe perimenopause can last up to 10 years or so before menopause. I am also taking Lexapro 20mgs/day. What dosage are you on and how long have you been taking it? Continue reading through the posts, it sounds like you definately belong here!

Old 03-12-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
dwp512
(male)

dwp512 HB User

Thanks for the reply! I don't understand either...it seemed like an obvious solution. However, my estogen levels are higher than yours (50) but the FSH levels are out of range for non-menipausal women (34). I am on lexapro, same dose as you, but it isn't doing much for the depression and I think it may be making it worse. I have been prescibed low dose ativan which helps me sleep and make it through the day, but makes me tired. Did any of your symptoms start with the lexapro...I think it may be causing some of my symptoms?

jp

Old 03-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #4
Veronicaberry
Inactive
(female)

Veronicaberry HB User

You need to get off the anti depressants and have your thyroid checked your adrenals and check your carnitine levels as well as your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels. You neeed to see an endocrinologist and possibly an gynocologist.

Last edited by Veronicaberry; 03-12-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Old 03-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
newbie5
(female)

newbie5 HB User

I agree to have everything else (thyroid, adrenals, etc.) ruled out. If that all comes back okay, it sounds like a lot of your symptoms may be caused by your lack of estrogen. I don't think that the Lexapro caused any of my symptoms, as a matter of fact I went on the Lexapro because of all of my symptoms (the anxiety and the depression). I, too, had extensive testing done and was always frustrated when I was told "they're perfectly normal". The premarin and the lexapro help me, personally, but I don't think they are a "cure all". Reading all of these posts, especially the "symptoms list" has really helped me. When I start to feel panicky I reread a lot of the posts to remind myself that this isn't fatal and I am not alone!

Old 03-13-2005, 10:41 AM   #6
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi JP,
Boy! you're list is very familiar - I've had everything you listed except the nausea/gagging feeling. I am so sorry you are feeling badly. I can totally understand what you're going thru. I too had fatigue and the word 'debilitating' describes it perfectly! I did read that you can get "chronic fatigue syndrome" when you start having fluctuating hormones - another peri-meno symptom! I didn't know this when I was going thru it myself. So, you can have CFS as well as be in peri-meno too.

If the Lexapro isn't working and making you feel worse, try something else!

molly

Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 PM   #7
Sissypie
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

Why do medical professionals seem to want to avoid considering perimenopause? That is so frustrating! So many of them will just completely pass up all the symptoms you are having if you tell them that you are still having regular periods. They seem to opt for diagnosising anything BUT menopausal symptoms.

I currently have 22 of the most common 35 symptoms, but because I'm still having regular periods my doctor won't even run a hormone test. He feels it's unnecessary right now to do one. I think just my age would be a good enough reason to run a baseline level check anyway. I'm 49! Sheeesh.

Old 03-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
dwp512
(male)

dwp512 HB User

Thanks again for the replies. I am really freaked out by the muscle twitches. They are worse at night when I lie down and they make it really hard to sleep. Am wondering if you found any relief. I am off the Lexapro and started Effexor. I have been less teary without the Lexapro, but still exhausted. I usually get some energy in the afternoon, but I haven't felt normal in 8 weeks. The doc also gave me Ativan for the panic. I hate taking all this stuff, but I'm still a mess. How do you stay optimistic? Walking around the block is getting tougher everyday. Ugh! Had more blood test....maybe something will show up.
JP

Old 03-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #9
newbie5
(female)

newbie5 HB User

Hi, sorry to hear you are still feeling bad! I agree that the muscle twitches/jerks are the hardest to deal with! I have read that a lot of women in peri get these (that is what I always remind myself of!). Where do you get most of your twitches at? Mine are mostly in my legs-calves and thighs. I do sometimes get them other places, but not as often. I am still taking the Lexapro and the Premarin. I hope you do well with your switch!

Old 03-16-2005, 06:22 PM   #10
dwp512
(male)

dwp512 HB User

Mine are mostly in my thighs as well, but sometimes it feels like hic-cups all over my body. Thanks for the reassurance...my depressed mind quickly goes to things like Parkinsons, etc. My thighs also ache...do you have that? JP

Old 03-16-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
newbie5
(female)

newbie5 HB User

Yes! My thighs have been aching the last couple of days. My mind goes to blood clots from the Premarin (I'm always "looking for the zebra"). I have been fighting a virus and running a low grade fever the last few days and it seems like the muscle twitches are worse. The ache in my thighs is like a "deep bone" ache. Tylenol does seem to help. "Hic-cups" is a good word to describe the twitches. It's hard sometimes to see the twitches because they move from place to place. I think the twitches were the first symptoms that I noticed. I have been having them for 9 months now, and sometimes they bother me as much as they did in the beginning!

Old 03-16-2005, 09:27 PM   #12
miller01

miller01 HB User

Be sure to get your thyroid checked. You must ask for TSH, Free T4, Free T3 as well as thyroid antibodies. Demand these tests. The doc will probably only order TSH and it isn't a reliable test all alone. Good luck! Let us know the results of your testing.

Old 03-17-2005, 12:03 AM   #13
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi DWP512,

I feel for you..it is like a crashing fatique that one feels at times and it is very hard to deal with.

The anxiety and some gastro symptoms have been the worse for me (I am 50) but the anxiety is the worst. When it all first flared up last year off and on over 3 months the gyn gave me Lexapro also. I did not tolerate it at all. It made me nauseated and I stopped it. I was then just given Xanax to take as needed for the anxiety. I did take it during that time when needed. I have recently had some of the symptoms reappear , not as strongly but still as upsetting due to the huge anxiety I sometimes get about it all. The xanax does help. Exercise seems to too, BUT I know that when one is that fatigued it is so hard to even walk around the block...I felt that way last year, and was just not able to do it for awhile.

The gyn and dr. suggested Estroven, an over the counter herbal/vitamin supplement and so I am taking that too in addition to other vitamins. Some times I just do not feel myself at all and other times are better. It fluctuates which i know is the hormones bouncing all over!! but my anxiety takes me elsewhere and makes me think that it is something more serious even though I have had blood work done in my last appt in late autumn, etc. It is the anxiety of peri that makes us jump to all that so you are not alone.

It is hard as you said to be optimistic but keep reading and posting and that helps as you will see so many others either in the same situation or that have been thru it and somehow that helps...to know that they got thru it or others are coping with similar situations.

As far as the twitchces I do get them at times with my legs but not badly but they are mostly or have come mostly at night. The muscle aches I can really relate too!!

Hang in there and hope that tomorrow is better for you.

rmc

Last edited by rmc12; 03-17-2005 at 12:05 AM.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:48 AM   #14
dwp512
(male)

dwp512 HB User

What is normal for the Thyroid? Also, when you stopped the Lexapro, did your depression get worse? And...do your symptoms come and go? Mine are pretty constant...haven't had a normal day in a very long time. I'm just too weak. Did you have appetite loss as well? Thanks!

Old 03-20-2005, 08:32 PM   #15
miller01

miller01 HB User

TSH levels should be normal for what is "normal" for you. Labs SHOULD say .5 to 3.0, but some labs are still at the old standard of .5 to 5.0. Go and post at the thyroid board. Like here, helpful people in the same boat, are waiting to help. Good luck!

Closed Thread