It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Pain free for a day...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Pain free for a day...

Ladies, I thought I share this with some of you - thought it was kind of interesting.

Went to the dentist the other day, had novocaine and laid in the dental chair for 2 hours. Afterwards, for the first time in the past year or so, I did not have any aches or pain in my back/ iliac crest/ hip/ waist area. No stiffness, no achiness, no creeking or clanking. I felt normal - it felt good to feel this way! I moved faster! Was fine in the evening too! Of course, it didn't last long - the next day it was same-o, same-o again.

So, I'm thinking it's either the novocaine (even tho it was localized) or maybe it's the chair. I've always love laying in a dental chair - so comfortable - but unfortuantely, it's rather ugly for my home! So, if you want a day of feeling no aches/pain, get a crown or root canal from your dentist!

molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Re: Pain free for a day...

Molly,

thanks for posting this and I smiled and LOL when you said f you want a day of no aches and pains get a crown or root canal!! Those chairs ARE comfy!! I find too that when one is in a recliner it seems to stretch that area out and help.

You said it was the first time in a year that you have not felt it. I am not having it constantly but I do feel it sometimes once or twice a day and then sometimes not at all. Like right now, nothing, but last night i did for just a bit in the evening. During the night rarely do.

I know hormones play a part in these aches and such but it is just weird to me that it comes and goes. Guess it should not be as I know the hormones are fluctuating and causing things.

I am trying to focus on the fact that when I had it last year for those couple months it did go away and I am still here!! It is hard though to not worry in this peri phase. Like right now there is a lot in the news about colon cancer awareness month and I find myself focusing on that which I should not be!! Same if it was breast cancer awareness month I probably would be worrying more about that issue!! I do get mammograms yearly, but the colon screening is not covered with our insurance for a few more years. I know they say 50 or over so I try to tell myself that I am not the only 50 year old that has not had it or can't for a few years. But as I said no matter what the issue is if I am in an anxious mood I will fret over it. So trying to drink some green tea here and think calming thoughts!! : )

I also find that when one is under stress those particular aches are way worse. I experienced this on Sat as there were some issues with a family member that were very stressful and I was upset about them and I noticed the symptoms were aggravated. So I do think muscle tension plays a part of it too.

Anyway thanks for posting about your very good dental visit!!

Hope you are doing well today.

rmc

Old 03-14-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi RMC,
It was my intention to bring out a smile and a laugh to you and others who read my post!

It's pretty true that it's the first time in a year that I haven't felt pain around that area. My aches and pain seem to also move around and change a bit too. Sometimes I feel really stiff, it's never a muscle pain - it is definitely joint. However, I do notice that overall it has been much better than even a month ago. I think the weather has something to do with it too -noticed that last week it was really hot and I didn't feel as achy or stiff. I can't say I have it constantly either - I might be exaggerating there - I guess I don't feel anything when I'm sitting. I'm achy when I'm walking and bending.

My dr. has been trying to get me to go get a colonoscopy since I turned 50. I will be 52 this month and I have been avoiding it. I was scheduled for it in Sept. 2003 when I was 50 but it was also at the time when I was feeling really bad so I had to cancel the appt. In 2004, my dr. asked me again to have it done - I asked if he had it done and he said no. So, I told him I'll do it when he does! LOL! I know he will get on my case again this year, but I will probably schedule it some time late this year. I guess I'm scared of the whole procedure even tho I heard it's really not all that bad. There are lots of people older than me (mid-to late 50's) that I know never had it done either. I believe once you have it done, you don't have to do it again for 10 years.

Mammograms...hmmm...I have a f/u appt. in May b/c they saw calcifications on my right boob last time. It is hard not to think and worry a little bit about it but I'm trying to think positive and hope for the best.

So, you are not alone when it comes to worrying and thinking about all these things. It's the pits getting older. It seems as we get older and older, we have more and more drs. appts.! I really notice how I changed since I went thru my bad peri-meno time - I've become more conscious about every little ache and pain and worry that something is wrong, that I might have some illness of some kind. I get to the point where I blame every ailment on hormones!

This might be helpful info too: my sister has knee problems (she can't walk w/o crutches). went to an orthopedic dr. who told her it is very common as we get older to have the aches/pain and the clicking/clanking. It is the cartilage wearing out and bone is rubbing against bone. He suggested physical therapy for her and gave her inflammation meds. Also, taking 2,000 mg/daily of Glucosamine w/Chondroitin and MSM helps rebuild the cartilage. I have been taking this liquid form for about a month now - maybe that's why I feel better. Are you taking anything like this?

Hang in there, RMC, and try not to think and worry too much! You are not doing yourself any good ....sometimes you start imagining you have something and then you end up getting sick and even the symptoms. The mind is powerful...

Have a good one,
molly

Old 03-14-2005, 11:28 PM   #4
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Molly,

Always good to read your posts!!

I do sometimes feel that ache sitting and I am trying to become very aware of my posture, always have tried to, but need to more when sitting. When I am at work and at the computer for a long stretch it is easy to hunch over or slouch. Don't think that does the joints or muscles any good. I felt it a bit today but not much so it was a better day in general today all the way around. You mentioned feeling it when you are bending and yes I have had that too. My back issues can be worse when bending anyway. In physical therapy after my back first went out a couple years ago they really talked about bending the correct way making it easier on ones back.

I LOL when you said you asked your doctor if he had got a colonoscopy and you'd get one when he did!! Yes I have heard too that it is really not that bad in most cases and do know people who are older (I am going to be 51 next month) and they have not had it. But I just would never think of not having a mammogram yearly or pap so I do get mad at myself that I am so worked up thinking of a colonoscopy when my insurance will cover it. Also kind of stupid of me to be worrying about it so in advance!!

I do remember you posting about the mammogram. My cousin, I believe I posted back at the time, also had calcifications and they kept an eye on it and she was fine. She had a cyst aspirated before that and it was fine also. But it is hard not to worry I know. You are right to keep a positive attitude. It really helps and makes sense.

Yes, I relate of course with being more "conscious about every little ache and pain and worry that something is wrong" at times, but you are right that hormones play such a role here. It is really like a longer pms with symptoms here and there that will crop up and guess I have to just take it more in stride and not let my anxiety get out of hand with it.

Thanks for sharing about your sister. That has to be so difficult for her and I hope what she is taking will help her along with the physical therapy. yes, I am taking too the Glucosamine w/Chondroitin that you mentioned. What is MSM?

I did try today after getting a bit anxious to just not think so much on these things (like going for the routine colonoscopy when I am covered) as really my biggest symptom today of peri was anxiety. I really didn't feel any symptoms that were pronounced today, but just plain fretting!! (I am sure it was hormones doing that too although I was not helping !! LOL!!) The Mind is powerful as you said and I think I need to put mine to more positive use when I get like that. So I am trying, just not always as successful!! : ) .

Thanks again for your post and glad you are feeling better.

rmc

Old 03-16-2005, 10:17 AM   #5
jitterbug

jitterbug HB User

Hi Molly123,
Just wanted to say that I tried the liquid form of Glucosamine also because I had read that it absorbs into your system better than the tablets. I took it for a month, but I did not notice any real benefits.
I have endometriosis and will be have a hyster in May. I can't wait, the pain is excrusiating. I had a lap already by the way which confirmed it. Along with the aches and pains, I have the worst problem with the pain in my hips and thighs. I can barely walk sometimes.
-Jitterbug

Old 03-16-2005, 12:36 PM   #6
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi RMC
Hope you're well today! I have a good relationship w/my drs. as well as my dentist even. I kid around w/them. If I don't feel comfortable and have a dr. that is intense and never smiles, I won't go. I think it makes a big difference. I'm sure he will ask me why I didn't go have the colonoscopy. I have also thought about bone density test...have you?

I hope I will be lucky and have nothing wrong w/ my mammo f/u. I don't feel any lumps or anything.

You asked what is MSM - did a search on it and this is what it says:
MSM (methyl-sulfonyl-methane or dimethyl sulfone) is used for the relief of arthritis and other problems such as muscle and skeletal disorders. relieves pain and inflammation, improves health of skin, hair and nails, helps the immune system, reduces muscle spasms.

I've been taking Ecotrin 500 mg (2 pills every 8/hrs) the last couple of days and I've noticed a big diffference! It is an OTC aspirin for arthritis relief. My neighbor who is an ortho dr. suggested it. He also told me that clicking and clanking is nothing to worry about and fairly common as we get older.
Thanks again for your post and glad you are feeling better.

As with your fretting and worries - hey, keep in mind, things could be worse! Sometimes think how good it is to be able to see, walk and hear and that you don't have anything serious or life threatening!! But, of course, if you just want to vent - do so - it is good to release your feelings too!

Hang loose and be well,
Molly

Old 03-16-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Jitterburg,
I've been taking the liquid Glucosamine (from Costco) for about a month now. I don't know if it helped me but all I can say is that my achy/stiff joints are better now than it was couple of months ago. I know it's not a cure-all, quick fix - guess I'll try anything to help joint issues. I would hate to see what I'll be like in my 60's or 70's when I'm like this at 52! I've read that it is suppose to help rebuild cartilage which wears out as we age so what the heck! LOL!

I am sorry to hear you have endometriosis. I can only imagine how painful that must be!! Good luck with your hyst. I'm sure you will be fine! I've seen the word "lap" used in testing - what is it actually? Do you have sciatica? - that often affects the hips and leg area and can cause you to not be able to walk. My mom has that and she had to get cortisone shots couple of times.

Keep us posted, please!
molly

Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Molly,

Thanks for the info on the MSM and also the Ecotrin. I had never heard of the latter and I will look for it as I know I have arthritis in that area of my back/hip which affects other things.

I am doing better today and trying to be so this week. Have been exercising every day , even for 30 minutes on the bike at the gym. Want to introduce more weights too and need to get more back into pilates. I am trying to keep in mind that the issues with my back/hip etc affect things and I definitely notice when they flare up one feels more twinges, aches, etc. And my back flares up more when I am in PMS or near my period. Also am on day 22 of my cycle so just feel like my period is coming, just that pressure feeling, which doesn't bother me..have always had that when I am in PMS. And like you and so many others have said this is one long PMS at times!! LOL!! Hormonal fluctuations that we are all going thru affect our joints, our digestive tract, all areas, and I have read enough about it that I would think it would sink in!! LOL!! But I think when one feels better for a long stretch and then has a flareup again, they sometimes forget what it was like when they had the previous flare up. This is no way as bad as early last year so I am thankful for that!!

And you are right it could be a lot worse and I am reminded of that when I have read posts from others really suffering thru a lot worse symptoms.

The endometriosis that Jitterbug mentions I have heard a lot about and that can be very very painful. I thought it diminished when we get to menopause but I know that a friend of mine had a hysterectomy in her early 40s as it was as Jitterbug said "excruciating" for her. There is someone at work I know that suspects she may have it but has not got it confirmed and her symptoms are not as bad so it is not something she is pursuing, just managing the symptoms. But with my friend it was really so painful and affected her in the way Jitterbug describes. So it can be very troublesome.

You asked about the bone density test, yes I have thought I would ask about that during my annual gyn exam later this year or some time this year as I have read it is good to get a baseline of where you are.

Glad that you are doing well and thanks again for listening to my "vents"!! : )

rmc

Old 03-17-2005, 02:51 AM   #9
Laura_45
(female)

Laura_45 HB User

Molly....

Just thought you'd like to know, I had a filling today. Dentist shot me up with quit a bit of Novacain and I did notice the lack of pain and stiffness afterwards. The last couple of days I've been pretty gimped up with stiffness, so it was very noticeable when it went away. By the time I got home from work, it had all worn off and the pain and stiffness was back.

Laura

Last edited by Laura_45; 03-17-2005 at 02:51 AM.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:54 AM   #10
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Laura,
So glad you had a couple of hours of relief! Wasn't it great? At least I know now that I wasn't imagining I was pain free that day afterall! LOL!

Be well,
molly

Closed Thread