It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• thyroid v. adrenal v. menopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2005, 06:22 AM   #1
    robinhy
    (female)

robinhy HB User
    thyroid v. adrenal v. menopause

I've been taking thyroid meds for 2 years now...it only makes me more sick. After lots of research and support groups and doctors I finally had my adrenals checked. So now I take thyroid and adrenal meds...still no help. I insist it's because my adrenal med isn't strong enough. My doc insists it's because I'm meno. Has anyone every had the problem when they take thyroid meds they get sicker because it's making/causing menopause.

I always thought, thyroid meds reduce cortisol so you need more cortisol and low cortisol reduces estrogen so you need more cortisol. It also states on my thyroid meds that untreated adrenal insufficiency can worsen thyroid symptoms. There is no mention of this causing lowered estrogen.

Before I started my thyroid meds my FSH LH and estrogen were check...they were OK. 3 months after starting thyroid meds my FSH LH showed I was meno and my estrogen was too low. My cycle came every 3 months. I stopped thyroid meds for 2 months, my cycle got better. Meno is the norm. in my family before the age of 45 (I'm 41) but meno symptoms are the same as many other hormone symptoms...some of which my brother also has. Adrenal insufficiency can affect they cycle and I wonder if this runs in my family and not early meno.

I started taking black cohosh, today is only day 1. How much time until I start to notice (or not) if it works.

So who had thyroid meds cause or worsen menopause?

Robin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #2
    robinhy
    (female)

robinhy HB User
    Re: thyroid v. adrenal v. menopause

Please somebody...I really need some help! I need some replies

Robin

Old 03-16-2005, 02:17 PM   #3
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

Go to the thyroid boards they can help out a lot. I am 43 in perimenopuse and have been on thyroid meds for 4 years. I was fine until a year ago when the peri started. I was really bad for months. I'm still not normal but can cope.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
    kellykay

kellykay HB User

you might want to look up ovarain failure. i am going throu this and i am told that endocrine disorders are the leading causes.. it is confused for meno.. they are not the same thing. i would think it is the disease not the meds..

Old 03-16-2005, 10:42 PM   #5
    robinhy
    (female)

robinhy HB User

Thanks you guys for some comments.

Regarding ovarian failure, whats the difference between that and menopause? How can I find out which one I have? Is it possible that it runs in my family?

Robin

Closed Thread