It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Hour Glass Body

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #1
armadillo pie
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Hour Glass Body

It has been interesting watching my body change in the last year or so. I have always been on the very slim side , more boyish in shape. But now I developing what is called the hour glass shape. My breasts are larger and my hips are more curvaous. My waist is slim but not as slim as it was lat year, and my stomach seems to have this bulge ( which if I hold it in can go flat- but who wants to walk around sucking their stomach in all the times). My hips are rounder and my lthighs and legs are not so tone or thin as they were a year ago. Weight is not my issue, since on the scale I do not weight that much more , but it is like I have a whole new body. A lot of people say I look more womanly now, other say I am still trim, and some ask if I gained weight. I have some clevage, something I have never had and can now wear some sexy tops. I only wear low cuts pants since high cut are uncomfortable. But I notice some flesh on the sides. And all those little summer tops are a no no right now unless I do not mind bearing the belly that is not so cute anymore.
So part of me is embracing this and the other part is saying get up and start working out again. But it is interesting to see the changes perimenopause brings. It seems the more I get closer to menopause and the more my hormones rule, the more my body is changing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
kittenlover

kittenlover HB User
Re: Hour Glass Body

Hormones are a pain, aren't they
I had always had a near perfect shape (god how I wish now I would have appreciated my youthful body more instead of complaining about it ) .
I always had more bust than I wished I had and my hips were smaller with a nice sized waist. It seems that my waist is thickening...as I have read that can happen in peri (I was just in denial that it would happen to me --just like the wrinkles ).
I also know of what you speak when you say the "extra" stuff when you wear a shirt...I never imagined my BACK could SAG !
Funny though...I used to exercise to get/keep a great shape, and now, no matter how much time I spend exercising, the best I hope for is good health from it. Still, better than nothing.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Kanai
(female)

Kanai HB User

OMG - I am just like you both. I was off/on The Pill for many years, and noticed the last time I got back on it my shape "rounded" a bit. Boobs bigger (yipee! ) but back bra sag. I see my mothers' shape in me now.

I don't know if I'm peri or not - only signs I have are I toss and turn a lot at night, and sometimes I wake up drenched.

Where can I go to find out more about symptoms? Any good websites?

Old 03-29-2005, 06:57 PM   #4
Hopefully
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlover
Hormones are a pain, aren't they
I had always had a near perfect shape (god how I wish now I would have appreciated my youthful body more instead of complaining about it ) .
I always had more bust than I wished I had and my hips were smaller with a nice sized waist. It seems that my waist is thickening...as I have read that can happen in peri (I was just in denial that it would happen to me --just like the wrinkles ).
I also know of what you speak when you say the "extra" stuff when you wear a shirt...I never imagined my BACK could SAG !
Funny though...I used to exercise to get/keep a great shape, and now, no matter how much time I spend exercising, the best I hope for is good health from it. Still, better than nothing.

I just had to laugh when I read about your sagging back because I quickly visualized "my own" sagging back reflection in my bathroom mirror. The first time I noted all those "rolls" on my back I was shocked...I lie not when I say they seem to have appeared overnight. Sigh...but I refuse to allow these hormones, or lack of them to dictate my life, figure, or health. I'm still fighting and kicking...when I can get off the sofa . Some days are easier than others. I see other women, in the real world not the t.v. celebraties and their plastic surgeons, who are post menopausal and have wonderful shapes. One day I will also be those numbers.

Last edited by Hopefully; 03-29-2005 at 06:59 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
kittenlover

kittenlover HB User

I hear you!! I am exercising, eating right, blah, blah in hopes of keeping things at bay. I hope my post did not come off as we should not try to maintain our bodies. I simply meant, for me anyway, that I have come to accept that some change is inevitable and I should not get upset or depressed with myself for it.
I may never have my 24" waist again, but 26" isn't bad either and just because I can't get it to 24 does not mean I should let it go to 50, LOL !
I guess I just meant that I'm trying to have more perspective rather than be as goal oriented as I once was

Old 03-30-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Kittlenlover,
You have a 26" waist? You have no right to be unhappy with your body!!! I don't remember when I had a 26" waist, if ever! I'm envious! You are thin, girl! Do you eat? LOL!

I find that my waist is "thicker" now too...it all happened in my mid-40's and no matter how much I work out and watch what I'm eating, it just doesn't slim down!! Brrrr!! ... guess, I'm not watching or working out just quite enough!!

molly

Old 03-30-2005, 08:28 PM   #7
kittenlover

kittenlover HB User

Molly, I DO eat. I eat so much, DH has declared that that is my full time job, LOL. I carry food with me too because I can't seem to go more than 2 hours without eating something (I hate that part). You should see the car when we travel!! ( And you don't want to know what I bring for a plane trip!)
I do exercise but the inches I fear may be increasing.
Prevention magazine just had an article on what happens when the scale stays the same but the clothing fits differently. Muscle loss. If I spend any more time exercising I'll never get anything else done!
Ah well. It is nice to know we all go through it. Hopefully things get back to the way they were after menopause.
I know some of it is just genetic...will be interesting to see how it all turns out

Old 03-31-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Hey Kittenlover,
You're the kind of women that every "hate" because you can eat and eat and stay slim! LOL! Actually, eating multiple times a day is the best way and it actually helps you lose weight. There are weeks where I eat multiple times a day too but my problem is that I'm never that hungry so I end up not eating when I should.

I think when we get older, our body just changes. If you look around, most men and women start to have that heavier look when they get older. Of course, there are exceptions (like you! LOL!) ...but the majority tend to fill out. It probably is genetic with you - to maintain a 26" waist (you really shouldn't be complaining, dear!). What kind of exercise do you do?

molly

Old 03-31-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
joyka
(female)

joyka HB User

I have the same problem and I work out, ride thousands of miles a year on my bike, do Pilates, etc. etc. I got the extended abdomen, a roll under the back of my bra, sagging breasts even though that are teeny tiny. Doesn't matter what I do, its all gone to hell. Guess that's why they call it the "change". I have always been slim, a size eight. Doesn't matter at all.

Old 03-31-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
JudeNZ
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

I'm with Molly on this one - I guess I was a 26" waist on the way up about 30 something years ago!! See one good reason for never having had a beautiful body, I'm not so disappointed now.

In fact 2 and half years ago I lost 40 lbs and for the first time in my life I have kept it off. But have lost the plot in how to lose more. I also started swimming and have toned up and changed shape for the better. If I could just lose the roll above my tummy, the tummy, the top of my legs .. oh and the under arm wing flaps hehehehe Id be gorgeous!

So be thankful - I'd Kill to be a size 26" waist! Back to the swimming I go...trudge trudge trudge............

Jude

Old 03-31-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
kittenlover

kittenlover HB User

I tend to agree that our shape is sort of genetic because BELIEVE ME...I have rolls, they just don't seem to hit the waist (like my saggy back) ...YET! Give me time
Molly, I walk 1 hour/day and I either do the nordic-trak for 35 minutes or jump rope for 40 minutes 5 days/week. I do 30-40 minutes of yoga at least 5 or 6 days/week. I had been lifting weights twice/week too, but the yoga seems to be working so I've let that slide...otherwise my whole day would be spent working out, LOL !

I can seem my lower belly paunch a bit when I sit and I have never in my life, not even in my teens, had a flat stomach...so I'm not overly shocked it is getting rounder.

I do agree that as I age I've noticed things rounding in different areas though. I had such a pear shape and am slowly turning into the apple

Old 03-31-2005, 07:55 PM   #12
JudeNZ
(female)

My goodness you wonderful woman - when do you find time to do anything else?? Here was me thinking I'm pretty good for doing 30 lengths of the 25 metre pool, 3 mornings a week.

I blame my parents for my build. Mum was short and round, and Dad came from good Scottish highland stock. I read once they are of stocky build with sturdy thighs! That's me!

A friend asked me once - "What's the lightest weight you've ever been?"
Quick as a wink I answered her, "6lb 5 ozs at birth!"

Jude

Old 04-06-2005, 12:32 PM   #13
MelRose13
(female)

MelRose13 HB User

Judenz, I Hear You Girl...my Dad And Mom Are Both Scottish, But Mom Has Italian In Her Too..so Hence Getting The Broad Hips In My "older" Age...
Turning 40 And Going Through Peri-menopause...training For My First Marathon, Been A Fitness Instructor For Over 10 Years, Weight Train 3 Times A Week And Run Or Cycle Or Rebound 6 Days A Week...eat Healthy, And Not Gaining A Pound On The Scales...but Getting The "more Than Round" Belly And Not Likeing It A Bit...so What Else Is There To Do Besides Eating Right And Excercise, I Really Don't Want To Sit Back And Take It?!?!?!

Old 04-07-2005, 12:36 AM   #14
JudeNZ
(female)

I'll send you a picture of me and you'll be so pleased with your body hehehehe.

Jude

Old 04-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #15
armadillo pie
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Yes it seems my belly is developing quite a bulge. It has also thickened. I eat like a bird- truly- and I am watching my hips, butt, thighs, and stomach all taking on a shape I do not recognize! I have not had a period for 51 days now and think maybe I am entering the beginnnig of menopause. Since my period has not come these last 51 days and I stopped the natural progesterone to see what happens is when I have really noticed the extreme change in my body. All in ony 51 days!!!!!! I am thinking of resuming the natural progesterone because I think it did make me feel better and did have an effect on my weight.
Anyone have similiar experiences?

Closed Thread