It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Burning Tongue and awful taste

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #1
Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User
Unhappy Burning Tongue and awful taste

since a few weeks sweet things taste bitter, my tongue ist like burning on the tip, i have no pain, but things taste awfull. What is it and how long does it last?? Is there a cure? Anybody who can give me infos please respond. I am on neurontin 3x200 for the last 6 month for neck surgery. Thanks Martina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2005, 11:19 AM   #2
Nance77
(female)

Nance77 HB User
Re: Burning Tongue and awful taste

Hi..
I had this, it just came out of the blue....I had no taste, my tongue was burning like I scalded it on hot coffee or something but I didnt...It lasted about 2-3 wks, then just went away...I had talked to others, who said they had it, and it was yet another symptom of peri menopause..I was taking birth control pills for awhile to regulate my periods, and thats when i had the burning tongue...I went off them now and havent had it since, so I dont know if it was from the pills or just a peri thing...
I started using a milder toothpaste and did not use Listerine while I had it, which helped..
Nancy

Old 04-03-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Thanks Nancy for the imput, I really appreciate it , Martina

Old 04-05-2005, 08:51 AM   #4
DebraL

DebraL HB User

I think medications often causes a weird taste in the mouth. I have had it before with antibiotics. HOWEVER about six weeks ago i had a strong metallic taste for several days and then it faded and would come and go for weeks, less metallic as it faded. I would have guessed peri, but my daughter had it too as we had had respiratory virus. We are guessing it was that.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:07 AM   #5
poslusny55

poslusny55 HB User

I'm going through the same thing right now. It's almost like a cool sensation as if I just ate a mint or something. Its around my teeth on my gums and also on my lips. It's awful. I hope someone really has the answer to this. I'm reading things on the internet about "Burning Mouth Syndrome". Do you think this is what we have. They says alot of women going through menopause have it. Good luck, if you find a cure, please let me know

Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #6
Nance77
(female)

Nance77 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poslusny55
I'm going through the same thing right now. It's almost like a cool sensation as if I just ate a mint or something. Its around my teeth on my gums and also on my lips. It's awful. I hope someone really has the answer to this. I'm reading things on the internet about "Burning Mouth Syndrome". Do you think this is what we have. They says alot of women going through menopause have it. Good luck, if you find a cure, please let me know

I also read about burning mouth syndrome when I had my symptoms and they seemed to be the same ones....I started using Biotene toothpaste and mouthwash and that seemed to help...Also it said to eat hot things, such as peppers, etc......Mine just went away out of the blue as it came, but I think its a peri symptom also...

Old 04-06-2005, 09:17 PM   #7
Mollyt61

Mollyt61 HB User

Hi Everybody and thanks for all your imputs, I really appreciate it. Well, I had my teeth and fillings checked and everything is normal, no leaking fillings. Thats good news, also made an app. with a fam. doc. I do have alot of upset stomache with heartburn and maybe that is a reason. But i do more and more believe its a matter of change of my body, Iam 44, I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago and been on Premarin. I have been doing fine until last fall when I started to get off that pill and noticed and experienced how horrible nightsweats can be. I went and got a refill on Premarin which Iam taking daily since February now, and the symptomes have much improved. The tongue is not too bad and the taste change is still something i need to get used to. However, its mostly sweets that taste bitter, I love chocolate and nutella, and iam not enjoying it at this time because of the taste, not that its better without, but I love a treat now and then What I do noticed , I have very often a tigle in the back of my teeth, just like you have when you eat a sour candy, just there is no candy, really weird. I just hope this will go away again. Is there anything else that could cause this that I might not think of, please tell me. Thanks for letting me vent, Martina

Old 04-06-2005, 09:35 PM   #8
littlejmb
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

I am going though menopause and my tongue burns alot of the time and sometimes I have a metallic taste in my mouth. I didn't have a clue what was causing it, but after reading all of your posts, I am really beginning to think it is something to do with menopause! It kind of comes and goes, and it doesn't burn to the point that it's uncomfortable, just an annoying burning hot sensation.

Closed Thread