It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Testing for Menopause

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-04-2005, 03:38 AM   #1
poslusny55

poslusny55 HB User
Question Testing for Menopause

I was told by some of my friends that you can have blood work showing how far along you are with menopause. Does anyone know anything about this? I went to my gyno and she said there was no such test. This is the second time that I have requested it. Please let me know if anyone has had this test and what it is called. Thank you!.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
JudeNZ
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User
Re: Testing for Menopause

No idea if it has a medical term, but my Dr told me a few weeks ago that no use having the blood test done until you have been 3 mths without a period. What they get is a small window of what is going on in your body. Anyway I know it is happening so don't really need to be told!!

Jude

Old 04-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #3
MelRose13
(female)

MelRose13 HB User

You Can Have A Saliva Test, That Is The Most Accurate. I Know In This Area It Is Hard To Find People That Do It...usually Someone That Also Is Into Natural Meds Etc To Help Symptoms...and Herbalist Etc...good Luck

Old 04-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #4
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

As far as a blood test I have been told it is called an FSH test. I did have it in my mid to later 40s when I first started getting irregular periods. At the time it did not show anything as far as peri or menopause. When I asked about it recently my gyn told me by the very fact of my age (50) I am in perimenopause) and we are in our 40s (some people can be earlier also) and due to fluctuating hormone levels the blood test is not real reliable as it may register one way one day and another way the next. It will not tell you from what she told me when this process will be done. Frustrating I know!!

Hope this helps.

rmc

Old 04-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #5
poslusny55

poslusny55 HB User

Now my gyno told me (I'm 49) that since my periods are irregular that I am going through menopause. I thought this was called peri. She wasn't too understanding about anything. I guess I just want to know I'm not losing it.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:18 PM   #6
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

Perimenopause is the time before you actually hit menopause from how I understand it from my gyn, what I have read and also from the women that have shared posts on this board. I think when we were growing up all we heard about was "the change" and "menopause" and really not much about the before time when it is leading up to our periods stopping which is what menopause is. I think you have to not have had your period for a year to say that you are IN menopause (and others who are reading this, please correct me if I am wrong or have stated it incorrectly). But the time before when we are leading up to it , with irregular periods, and other symtpoms is Perimenopause.

Techincally what your doctor said ...that you are "going thru menopause" is correct as it is all leading up to that. That is really frustrating I know when they are not understanding. Mine is at times, but she is very matter of fact other times which irks me!! LOL!!

And as far as when you said :

" I guess I just want to know I'm not losing it."...You are not!! and if you are, then you are in good company as we are all going thru the same situation!! : )

Take care,

rmc

Old 04-07-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
littlejmb
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

When I went to see my gyno about a month ago, because I was emotionally losing it, he did a blood test to see if I was actually in menopause. I think it is called the FSH test or something like that. They called me back with the results and said that I was definitely in menopause. I already knew that though! I have been having the hot flashes and night sweats off and on for a little over a year now, and I can handle that, it's the emotional side that I couldn't deal with any longer. As far as telling just where you are in menopause, I don't know if it will tell you that or not.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

RMC - Your post is correct! Not having your period for 12 consecutive months is definitely true menopause. I'm almost there! [toes & fingers crossed!]

poslusny55 - Even when you still have your period or start being irregular, Drs. may say "you're going thru menopause" probably b/c it's just what is commonly said than words like peri or pre-menopause. I think that's why most books states "a woman can go thru menopause for 15+ years" - I'm sure this includes the peri-meno time period where the woman as young as 35 may start having symptoms - 50 years old being a fairly common age for actual meno to start setting in. With me, I didn't make the connection that I was on the road "to the change" related till I've gone thru trillions of tests, and then the obvious - my period diminishing more and more each month. You're not losing it! You're normal and fine!

Hang loose, girls,
molly

Closed Thread