It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Feeling simply ill

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2005, 04:09 PM   #1
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User
    Feeling simply ill

I believe that I was finally on the road to recovery after 3 years of intense perimenopausal symptoms. Well I've been on amoxicillin for 14 days now for bronchitis and I've felt just horrible the last 14 days. I'm spacey, sad, crying spells for no apparant reason, tired, bodyaches...did I mention spacey and mild depression. According to the pharmacist and my reading I know that amoxicillin lessens the effect of bcp...well I didn't realize, or had forgotten, just how horrible I felt prior to taking bcp. My poor hubby, who is the kindest person you could ever know, had to experience the full wrath of a woman without estrogen.

Does anyone else know that I'm talking about? Please someone post some words of encouragement, because I surely need them right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #2
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Re: Feeling simply ill

Hopefully,

I feel for you and have been there with feeling so out of it, so tired , so achy and so anxious and down. I was one of the ones that posted a few weeks ago about low dose birth control pills as an option to relieve all this and I think you were one of the kind ones that responded that they were helping you if I am correct. I did not start the Yasmin that I was contemplating on as I just was too worried about introducing other side effects and also long term ones. But I do have the prescription if I need to do so.

I think the fact that you were feeling better and now do not (partly due to the bronchitis I am sure) makes it even more frustrating. I can relate as I was feeling better for about 8 or 9 months before this Feb when things started to creep back again and I really am just trying to deal with it day by day. THis week and last seem to be better . But remember you are also dealing with bronchitis and having had it 3 times in my life (I used to be very prone to it it seems) that in itself wipes you out. It really zaps your energy and also makes you feel really low mentally I think as one is so tired. That is what I was told when I had it. So even if you were not in peri and not on birth control pills I think the bronchitis effects would be making you feel very low emotionally too as it is so draining.

Also if the drug you are taking for bronchitis says it will lessen the effects of the birth control pills then you know that it will be temporary and when you finish with the drug then you will feel better. How much longer to go with it? Also you can call your doctor too if you feel it is interfering with the effects of the birth control pill and becomes unbearable.

I know what you mean about forgetting how badly you felt before birth control pills. I was not on birth control pills but for some reason the intense bad symptoms I had early last year left, then I felt better for a very long stretch and then when things started going haywire with symptoms this past month I had forgotten how awful I had felt before. I think it makes it more frustrating to deal with when there is a relapse of symptoms like that as we are so disappointed. The only thing I hold on to is that I did feel better after that bout last year and for a long time and others have had relapses and felt bettter too. I am even feeling better now , bit by bit from this one. So you will feel better from this too.

Feel better soon!!

Take care,

rmc

Old 04-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #3
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

RMC thanks for this encouraging post. You made some statements that I had also been thinking, but you know that when you feel BLAH sometimes you're not rational. Just hearing someones point of view especially when it makes good sense is reassuring. Yes, I feel a bit anxious, a bit panicky, and unreal. Talk about brain fog! Thank God that this too will pass.

How old are you and how long have you been dealing with these symptoms? I'm 44 and all of this hit me in 3 years ago. What if anything helped you to get rid of your symptoms last year, and what symptoms are you experiencing?

Thanks!

Last edited by Hopefully; 04-06-2005 at 05:27 PM.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:03 AM   #4
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hopefully,

Yes, I can understand fully that BLAH feeling. And even when I wasn't in peri and had bronchitis as I said it was really draining so no wonder you are feeling that way and on top of that having the birth control pills not be as effective.

You asked how old I was and how long I have been dealing with peri symptoms. I am 50 , will be 51 actually next week and started I feel in my mid 40s as far as noticing some irregularities with my period...them coming closer together, also worse pms and cramps and some light brownish discharge for a day even a week after I thought period was over. The year before last my periods got to be more erratic where they'd come maybe on day 22 or day 24 or day 18 and then a couple came on day 40 or day 50...so unpredictable. Wouldn't mind it when it went to day 40 or 50 but I still had pms symptoms leading up to it from day 24 on it seemed. I also had nightsweats start at that time now and then. I have not had a hot flash at all and ironically that is the most common thing we all heard about growing up.

None of the above really was that troublesome to me as I knew I was probably just starting the process as my gyn stated. Then last year in late Feb., all of March, on and off in April and a bit in May I had anxiety hit big time and it seemed every twinge I had I started to feel was something very serious and I'd worry. I did go to my doctor and gyn twice in addition to the yearly exam and had blood tests and my yearly as I said and knew it was just peri but I still was stressing. I had a lot of gastrointestinal stuff, more gas in general and some diarhhea like I would have at PMS time an it was all centered around my cycle..not all the time. I started coming to this board and realized that alof of people were having the exact same things and my gyn confirmed too that we can get irritable bowel more so at this time evevn if you never have had it. As far as what helped the symptoms lessen last year and go away, I started taken vitamins more routinely : calcium, vitamin B, Estroven (over the counter herbal/vitamin supplement that my gyn recommended) and exercised more. I have back issues and they involve my hip and pelvis area and the twinges I felt could be directly related to that as I could feel it when I moved and the doctor and gyn told me that since I had hip/back problems it was going to affect the pelvic area as we have so many muscles there and that would affect the intestines too. I started doing Pilates which I believe helped me a great deal and then just calming down helped as I realized what it all was and that I think helped me the most and my intestines calmed down too. It is amazinig what our minds can do to our intesintes as far as getting things so stressed out. From mid May last year till just this Feb it stabilized and other than sometimes feeling more PMS stuff for a longer time it was nothing troublesome.

You asked what I was experiencing now. The anxiety is the biggest symptom for me. I find I wake up a little anxious each day, it is getting a bit less in the past week or so but all or March I was very tense each morning. I had some more of the intestinal stuff but really nothing as bad as last year's bout and nothing that I do not have normally with PMS and now that my PMS is longer it can all affect me for a longer time. I started to stress about it again and about everything and that put me in a tailspin. I was not taking the Estroven routinely anymore and my exercising was less too. So I went back to both and that has seemed to help and I especially the exercise i think (gym : bike; Jazzercize when I can (just one or 2 times a week due to my ankle and back problems that flare more at this time) and also Pilates and yoga dvds. I just seem to battle with my anxiety most of all and I am trying not to worry about twinges that I know are normal and others get but sometimes the anxiety does take over. I have taken xanax on and off thru all this and did last year when I was in the midst of it. Then did not for a long time.

This is a long post but I wanted to answer your questions and hope it helps. I have been helped too by all of you on this board and reading what everyone is going thru which makes me feel not so alone in all this!! Also as I said knowing that it did subside once and is slowing subsiding now does help. But it depends on the day!! LOL!!

Take care and try to get lots of rest as with bronchitis you really need extra rest.

rmc

Old 04-07-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Thanks RMC. I agree that I need a lot of rest with this bronchitis. I'm having a follow up chest x-ray tomorrow to make sure that all is well. Maybe I'll just check into a hotel to get some rest this weekend. I'm in the process of selling my house and this Saturday the realtor is having an open house. Yawn...

Old 04-22-2005, 05:19 PM   #6
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Going through periomenopause for 3 YEARS????? How old were you when you went through peri? What were your symptoms? Mine seem to be:

spacey feeling
    can't eat what I used to
    metallic/bad taste in mouth after eating some foods
    lower back pain like crazy!
    restless sleep
    wake up VERY easy
    irritable
    tired sometimes
    started bloating on the smallest meals (what's up with that!)
    get bored very easily
    lack of motivation
    heart pounds hard and fast at times
    gassy more than usual
    developed acid reflux
    neck aches

does this sound like typical peri? Any of it not sound like peri?

Old 04-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by singer1
    Going through periomenopause for 3 YEARS????? How old were you when you went through peri? What were your symptoms? Mine seem to be:

spacey feeling
    can't eat what I used to
    metallic/bad taste in mouth after eating some foods
    lower back pain like crazy!
    restless sleep
    wake up VERY easy
    irritable
    tired sometimes
    started bloating on the smallest meals (what's up with that!)
    get bored very easily
    lack of motivation
    heart pounds hard and fast at times
    gassy more than usual
    developed acid reflux
    neck aches

does this sound like typical peri? Any of it not sound like peri?

Singer looking back I know that I was beginning to experience very mild (compared to now) perimenopause symptoms around the age of 35. As someone here has stated the real severe symptoms hit me like a brick wall overnight at the age of 41, I'm now 44.

I noticed that from your list above your first symptom is feeling spacey, well welcome to the club. Feeling dizzy and spacey were my first severe symptoms. The mild symptoms that I spoke about were mainly the pmdd that showed it's ugly head the week before my period and the week after. As time progressed I noticed that I was having symptom every day of the month and then the dizziness/vertigo/spacey feeling began. I had such a funny sensation in my head in the beginning. It wasn't a headache, but more like a fullness or pressure. I had my ears checked numerous times and took medication for dizziness that did nothing at all.

I've had all of the symptoms that you listed except for the metallic taste.

Closed Thread