It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• For those with info on Kidney probs....and brown spotting (diff subject)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #1
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User
    For those with info on Kidney probs....and brown spotting (diff subject)

I haven't posted for awhile....hope everyone is doing well!! Heres my question...Saturday morning I got a horrible pain that started quickly in my lower/left back and fanned around my mid section. Now when I say horrible, I mean HORRIBLE!!!! It brought back the memory of my gall bladder pain from 25 years ago, not being able to breathe hardly, wanting to vomit, wanting to go to the bathroom, not being able to find a comfy position. Thankfully it only lasted 5-10 minutes and went away as quick as it came. I'm sure it wasn't muscle related. Could I have been passing a kidney stone? My kidneys (mostly left) ache alot, not a pain exactly, more like a bruisy feeling and sometimes on the left it hurts almost like someone has drawn a straight line of pain down my left side. The reason I am thinking kidney stone is because when my gall bladder was bad they at first thought it was a kidney stone because of the pain. Boy, it was bad!!! Thank God it only lasted a brief time. I have a doctor appt tomorrow morning and I am definitely gonna mention this! And if that is what it was, am I gonna experience this again?
    My second question is....friday evening I thought I was starting my period, (on schedule, 25 days for me) when I wiped it was bright red, but saturday, sunday and today all I had is brown discharge, not even hardly enough to make a mark on the pad. Anyone else have this? It happened to me once before about 6 months ago and then a couple weeks later I had a normal period. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    Conni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User
    Re: For those with info on Kidney probs....and brown spotting (diff subject)

Hi Conni,

I am so sorry to hear you had such a terrible bout of pain. It will be good you are going to the doctors tomorrow and can get some input from him/her.

Regarding the other question, I am writing to let you know I have had the situation you are talking about with getting your period , having it be the normal red color and then the next day brown and very much waning, so much at all. The gyn told me it was normal and from reading these boards I read that a lot of others have had this too. I have had it too where I have got a bit of the brown at day 18 and then a week or so later got my period (that has not happened in awhile). The gyn also said the brown was "old blood" . My periods are generally very scanty after the first 2 days and so the brownish is common for me to see after that. So just wanted to tell you yes, I have had that and from what the gyn said it is very common.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

rmc

Old 04-12-2005, 05:40 AM   #3
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User

Thanx rmc!!
    I kinda thought that it was just another "thing" we had to deal with...ugh.
    Do you find that if you have a cycle like that or if you have an "odd" cycle that your peri symptoms are worse? Sometimes I can tell what kinda month its gonna be or what kind of period I'm gonna have simply from how weird the symptoms/cycle/hormones are. If its a normal cycle with a "normal" period, the month is semi tolerable But I find if I have a cycle like this one, all my hormones mess up and every symptom I have is worse!! lol Or maybe I'm just nuts!! Hopefully my doctor will have a few answers for me today.
    Take care,
    Conni

Old 04-12-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
    cjenkins
    (female)

cjenkins HB User

Hi,
    Sounds like the pain could have been stones. The first time I had stones I felt a pain in the lower back area which quickly radiated to my left side. The pain was so intense I ended up in the floor in the bathroom head over the toilet. In the ER when the doc pressed on left side I almost came off the table. After an IVP I went to the bathroom and the pain was gone as quick as it came. Nothing showed in xrays but all stones don't show in them. I have stones one other time with pain in much the same way. Hope you get your questions answered at the docs. I hate you had the experience it is not fun. Drink lots of water. Don't we hear that all the time? Good luck.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Conni,

Hope all goes well at your appt and you get some answers. I think you will feel better once you talk to your doctor. It always helps to get questions answered.

Regarding your questions to me, yes...I do find that when I have those "odd" cycles that the peri symptoms are worse and the PMS is worse too!!

Like you said if it is a "normal" cycle it is just typical period stuff and more tolerable. That is how I had it for a good 8 to 9 months till it flared up again a bit this year. So no you are not "nuts"!! LOL!! And if so I must be too as yes when the hormones are more all over the place the cycle for me is definitely more bothersome!!

Take care,

rmc

Old 04-13-2005, 06:57 AM   #6
    1awesomegranny
    (female)

1awesomegranny HB User

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way!! I'm sorry for you tho rmc, it ain't no fun, huh?
    Went to the doc, he's such a sweetie, gave me anitbiotics for a sinus infection, (sinus packed on right side, maybe these darn headaches and foggy feeling will go away) refilled my ativan and gave me a script for buspar...so I'm off to start another thread because I think I've read women on here taking that drug and I'm going to wait til the weekend to start it so I thought I'd get some opinions on what to expect and if it will help. I told him I wasn't taking the ativan until the anxiety was really really bad (only used 60 pills in 18 months) so he thought this might keep me on a more even keel, and that if it was needed I could take the ativan with it.
    Thanx cjenkins...I did talk to him about that and he said "more water" lol and if I had another episode to call him asap. At least he's one that will listen, I mean really listen and discuss options with you. I thought I was drinking alot already, but by paying attention and making myself drink at least a glass an hour I realized I probably wasn't getting as much as I should be. I'm kinda a "sipper", just have a big glass all day that I drink from and refill with ice and water occasionally. And my urine wasn't as concentrated yellow this morning so thats a good thing I guess. You haven't had them often? I just recall my gall bladder pain and it was almost identical and would last for hours and hours and I don't want to go through that again!
    Gonna set an appt for next month for a physical and pap and hopefully will talk to him more about it then.
    Thanx so much gals!!!
    Conni

Closed Thread