It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Inflammation??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2005, 06:46 AM   #1
browneyedsusie
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User
Inflammation??

Hi...I know during your cycle you have a certain amount of inflammation in your abdominal area, bloating, cramping etc. But does anyone get a discomfort up under their ribs ?(for me its right sided this time). It is like there is not enough room for everything in my tummy? I get a bruisy feeling when I touch my stomach and feel very lumpy in the stomach area. I do have about 10 lbs or so I could lose off of it and have had 3 babies but during this time of the month I notice these fat lumps to be very tender? This has all started in the last 6 months or so during my cycle. It sorta feels like a kink in your side or sometimes jabbing. It is hard to explain, but it is definetly not just where your uterus is but the whole abdominal area. I know my liver is fine but if I didn't I would think it was involved in the discomfort.
Thanks for any ideas...L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Re: Inflammation??

Hi,

Yes I have experienced this too and I think others will echo this also as I believe others have posted about it. For me it can be directly related to my cycle. It is not with anything I am eating. If you are having this after you are eating then I'd get it checked out. But it didn't sound like that was the case from your post.

It is more of an achiness that can be in that area you are mentioning, right side and also waist area and hip area. In fact I have it today as it is day 22 or 23 for me so it could come any time. I also do have back issues though and both the gyn and the doctor told me that during our cycles everything as you said is inflammed and since the rib/hip/back area is all so closely aligned it will all be more inflammed.

It does feel as you said bruisy, not pain and I think the lumpiness you are talking about are lymph nodes that we have all over but also we have a lot of muscles in that area too. My gyn and doctor both have poked and prodded when I first brought this up last year.

Your description of it as kind of like a "kink' in your side is a good one as that is how it does feel. My gyn also said that the ovary feelings we have at times radiate. I have had bloodwork done also and am current with my annual exam and have talked about this with them a few times. So it is always good to do so when you go into see your doctor as everyone is different of course.

This one symptom which is not constant but on and off (i didn't have it for a good 8 to 9 months) has caused me a lot of anxiety and I do know that for me it gets worse when I get more anxious about it. Someone posted to me once that this one symptom caused them alot of anxiety also for a year when they were going thru all this on and off and that helped to hear.

Keep us posted on your doctors visit and take care,

rmc

Old 04-12-2005, 12:11 PM   #3
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

My sister, my neighbor and I all had this bruisy feeling underneath the right ribs also. We discussed it one time or another and it has been posted somewhere here too. What's weird is how many of us have similar or the same things going on and if we didn't post about them, we would never know and think we are alone with the weird symptom. It would come/go, sometimes it would be a little stabbing like pain but the intensity is probably different for some of us - a lot depending our how well we tolerate pain and achiness. My dr. also pressed and poked me to make sure nothing was going on. At first, it scared the crap out of me. Oh,it did go away and haven't come back.

molly

Old 04-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
browneyedsusie
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Thank you ladies for the posts they are soooo appreciated. It does put your mind at ease. You are right when you say about it being funny how many have this same symptom and sooo similar. It is like the left buzzing foot everyone mentions. Like I said I have no idea what these things have to do with the female reproduction cycle but...obviously they do!! I too have stressed over this, last nite I started my period and this morning this feeling was there. damn.....who wrote that song "We are Woman..." they had the lyrics right in that one....gotta be strong to be one!! Lesley

Old 04-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #5
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

HI again,

I know you were thanking us but I have to thank YOU as it always puts my mind at ease too to hear when someone has this particular symptom and there seems to be a lot of us out there. I do know that stressing over it as you said seems to make everything worse.

Thanks again for the post and hope you will post again and let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

rmc

Old 04-13-2005, 03:44 PM   #6
browneyedsusie
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Awww that was nice ......by the way Happy Birthday , Hope it was a good one!!

Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #7
marljones
(female)

marljones HB User
Talking Re: Inflammation??

l have had this pain for off and on about 8 years. the pain can be just mild or as in the past it has been debilitating. had liver biopsy and bone scans along with other numerous tests. nobody could explain until the other day spoke with a physician and he got me to sit twist and bend to lefty side. he counted to the 12th rib on right side pushed into an area and it was where the nucleas of the pain always began and then eventully spread . told me we have a muscle the size of a hand and it tightens for many reasons such as stress, sitting position etc. it can become chronic if not relaxed. he suggested swimming and stretching, breathing. so far has worked!!!!!!!!!! maybe can help you

Last edited by marljones; 04-16-2005 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-17-2005, 09:22 AM   #8
browneyedsusie
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Thanks Marljones...you know that is soo wierd you mentioned that....My sensible half has been telling me it is something structural and not internal. I have a C curve in my upper back and know it causes problems with muscles in my shoulder and ribs. I find I have a spot on my last rib that if I push on it, it really makes the pain more noticeable. It feels like a muscle or cartilage that raps around that area. I have an app't with my chiro on Monday and am going to ask her what she thinks about it. I was going to mention in my 1st post here about it being muscular but was curious if anyone else would come up with it. Thank you ...Lesley

Old 04-17-2005, 11:18 PM   #9
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Marljones,

This is something that I have been told too but you know it just is so good to always be reminded of it, so I read you post with interest.

I do have back issues and it affects my hip and that rib area is near that area in the front. that is where that feeling at times emanantes from. What you said about the muscle there is so true and I think that is why at times sitting at my desk for a long while it is more pronounced. My chiropractor, gyn and doctor has mentioned this also that we have so many muscles there and they can really tighten. I am not a swimmer but the stretching and Pilates does help me at times and massage.

Did you also take any antiinflammatory meds for it like ibupofren or anything? I do know it flares for me more near my cycle, do you find that? and with peri being such a time where it seems like I am in my cycle all the time it flares more. Also the gyn said that our muscles , etc. are more inflammed at this time.

Anyway, even though I have head from my gyn and dr. all the above that I am writing, there is nothing like hearing it from someone who has been thru it too firsthand and I thank you for your post. Today was a pretty low peri day for me with this one symptom and with some others (not related to it) have gotten me down...so your post was a good reminder and a help.

Thank you for it,

rmc

Old 04-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #10
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hii Lesley,

You are so right that my sensible half tells me this too and I also have had my doctor , gyn and chiropractor tell me this is all related to the structural but it can affect our intestinal area as it is so near it. So if we are having tightened muscles there structually it will make everything feel tighter. Makes sense but of course when I am in an irrational peri mood I do not have much sense about me!! LOL!! (like today!!)

for me too it does feel like a muscle as I mentioned before I think and where that lower rib is of course as you said there is cartilage there and I think with everything so tight and also inflammed during our cylce or in peri in general it just adds to that feeling, if we have this problem.

I do go to a chiro as I think I mentioned and it does help as massages do also. It is a twingey kind of feel, a kink as you I think mentioned before but boy does it cause me stress at times even though i know all this. Isn't that silly?!! I am probably making it tighter by stressing I know!! But I know you understand as do others as we are not always as rational as we would like to be during this time. When I am more relaxed it helps that area that is for sure and things in general.

You should post what your chiropractor says , if you have time as I would be interested in hearing what they said to you. I have been given stretches to do for it and am doing pilates also which seems to help a bit too. I do not feel it all the time and it is interesting that Marljones said it could become chronic if it does not loosen. I sometimes feel it is chronic for me as although it is not constant it does crop up more often than I'd like and more so when I am having a difficult time in peri.

thanks again for posting on this. It is always good to know one is not alone in what they are feeling.

Take care,

rmc

Old 04-17-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

oops..forgot to say Lesley, thank you for your birthday wishes!! Had a very happy one , thank you!!

rmc

Closed Thread