It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Been to the Dr. 20 times in the past year or so!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2005, 02:10 PM   #1
    laura3377
    (female)

laura3377 HB User
    Unhappy Been to the Dr. 20 times in the past year or so!!!

I am new posting to this board. I am only 32 years old but in Nov 03 I started experiencing all kinds of weird symptoms. I had panic attacks, lightheadedness, mood swings, some irregular periods, sciatica/back pain, digestive problems, periods of rapid heart rate. I've been to the emergency room thinking I am having a heart attack, had cat scans of my back (thought I might have cancer), been to the cardiologist for echo. I feel like a nut case!! Every test I have comes back negative or they cannot find anything wrong with me. I have no history of anxiety. I went years without going to the Dr. except for a couple of sinus infections and my yearly Ob/Gyn. I have to believe this is hormones (thyroid test also normal) but the health anxiety is really affecting my life. I am on no medication or birth control and don't really want to be put on any but I'm starting to think I'm going to have to do something or my quality of life is going to be nonexistent. Any words of advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User
    Re: Been to the Dr. 20 times in the past year or so!!!

Do you know your family history...when did your mother or other women in your family go through menopause? Your symptoms sound oh so familiar. Like yourself and many other ladies here we saw an outrageous number of doctors just to find out that we were healthy...with the exception of the panic attacks, dizziness, spacey feeling, depression, full head feeling, racing heart...you know the rest. Like yourself initially I tried not to take anything, but exercising, eating right, trying to get plenty of sleep, taking perizapper and other vitamins just wasn't helping with the symptoms listed above. I also tried the natural over the counter meno. supplements, but my quality of life had limited quality. I finally realized that if I didn't do something different I'd keep having the same lousy results...plus after three days of crying and a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach I agreed to try birth control pills. I'm doing a lot better, but I'm still experiencing symptoms and I'm still going through the trial and error stage in hope of finally finding that "magic pill" that will totally eliminate all my symptoms. I might have to make it myself . I wish you the best, please keep posting and let us know how you are coming along.

Old 04-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
    laura3377
    (female)

laura3377 HB User

Thank you for the encouraging words. I go see my Ob/Gyn on Monday so I am going to talk to her about this. I do not know my family history as I am adopted so there is a possibility that maybe my birth mother went through this at a younger age.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
    kittenlover

kittenlover HB User

Aren't hormones fun?
    I had more night sweats in my 30's than I do now (I will be 48 in May). I too have had the health anxiety...it comes and goes. Right now, thankfully, it is in remission and I hope to never see it again, LOL.
    Good luck. I'm glad all your other tests are normal so you can almost bet it is perimenopause that is beginning. They say it can last up to 15 years or so....hang on!!

Old 04-22-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

I went to my GYN today. I have had all those symptoms and a bunch of tests that are always negative. It does get frustrating to say the least. I was told by my Dr. that they can't really diagnose perimenopause. It's more once you hit menopause then in retrospect they can say "oh yes that was perimenopause". So all this we are going through now, in several years if we go into menopause we can then say we were in perimenopause now. Makes your head spin and want to throw your hands in the air. They always say it's anxiety. But they never explore what is causing the anxiety.

Hang in there,
    Jacq.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #6
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Laura,

I empathize also. I am 51 and looking back on it I probably started in my mid 40s with some subtle symptoms that increased in my mid to late 40s. Mostly irregular periods and nightsweats then and in my early 40s the rapid heart rate. That went away (I did get it checked out). Then the back issues cropped up a couple years ago and that can really affect the digestive system I have been told by my gyn and doctor as the nerves/muscles and joints are not only in the back but they refer over to the front and can affect the gastro. situation if muscles and things are more tightened.

I had no history of anxiety either and I too thought I was a nut case (still do at times when my anxiety is very high). But I have learned from this board that I am in good company as we all feel this way at one time or another and some of us earlier than others and with a myriad of different symptoms.

Low dose birth control pills were suggested to me too about a year ago. I have toyed with it but have not. They did give my Xanax for anxiety when I need it and last year for a couple months when it was really bad with symptoms I did use that. Have this year too.

THe hormones are just all over at this time and that is important to remember as it is not as clear cut as just having pms symptoms 2 weeks before and then getting our periods. It seems to be more all over the place with when the anxiety hits and the pms is longer.

Hope it helps you to know you are not alone.

Take care,

rmc

Last edited by rmc12; 04-22-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
    Chrystal72
    (female)

Chrystal72 HB User

Laura, I am new to this board to, I just posted my first message and then ran across yours and I felt like I was reading about myself. I am also 32 and have recently been to the ER and doctor more this year than ever do to my symptoms. I had an EKG, xray, etc as I was worried about my heart pounding and racing, etc and too have been told I was fine. All my symptoms can give me panic attacks worrying that something is wrong when it's not......You are definitely not alone, neither am I....Misery loves company, right? Lets keep up the posting, this is great

Last edited by Chrystal72; 04-29-2005 at 08:53 AM. Reason: repeated word my my

Closed Thread