It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Can Hormone fluctuations cause this?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #1
singer1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Can Hormone fluctuations cause this?

Hi everyone. I read the post of the symptoms of periomenopause. Whewww! What we women go through! Anyway, my question is, can a flucuation of hormones also cause an off taste in the mouth after eating certain foods? I'm not sure if I need to see a GI doctor or what kind of dr. can someone help on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
kittenlover

kittenlover HB User
Re: Can Hormone fluctuations cause this?

Yes, metal-like taste or bitter taste is a common complaint.
Burning tongue feeling is also a complaint.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
singer1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Kittenlover,

Do you know if this can go on all through periomenopause or menopause? My gosh! What can be done to get the taste to go away?????

Old 04-22-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
Hopefully
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenlover
Yes, metal-like taste or bitter taste is a common complaint.
Burning tongue feeling is also a complaint.

Good luck!

Bitter taste!!! That's what I had. I've read so much about the metallic taste, but I never read a post here about that horrible bitter taste. I'd notice it after eating certain foods, usually carbs. would produce that bitter after taste. It didn't matter what carb. I ate... that bitter taste would usually appear. It's gotten better and only occur on occasion.

One of my main thing now is that horrible body odor. I'll smell fresh after a bath, but within a couple of hours that odor will appear again...or maybe it's just over powering the deodorant, lotion, perfume, and moisturizing body wash. My daughter who has a very sensative nose always seems to notice my new body odor...once she told me that it must be from my ovaries rotting . I'm beginning to think she's correct!

Last edited by Hopefully; 04-22-2005 at 06:50 PM.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
singer1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

how often do you get that taste? I get mine off and on on a consistent basis!

Old 05-04-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
maggiecttr
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

Hi--so glad I found this! I'm turning 49 in a week, and have had a year's worth of digestive problems. Over-the-counter Digestive Advantage IBS has helped me a lot with excessive gas (although, since a major component of it is probiotics, the first month on it I was still gassy--after a month, it really kicked in, though), bloating, diarrhea & fecal "urgency" feelings. A product called Regimint (available online) has helped me with post-meal overly full feelings. That also took about 4 weeks til it kicked in. ANYWAY--I have a "new" symptom after eating--the metallic taste you describe here. It's accompanied by a feeling of an "emptiness" or a "vacuum" in my stomach, even though I just ate. (The opposite of my previous too-full feeling.) does anyone else get this weird feeling? It doesn't occur afte revery meal, just some.

I had endless medical tests for my gastro distresses last year, all normal. I finally went to an endocrinologist....she ordered a FSH level test & they were through the roof, so she pronounced my problems as due to perimenopause.
At least emotionally, it helped to know they were due to a "natural" underlying cause!

Hugs to everyone here & God bless!
Maggie C.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Maggie,

I do not have the mettalic taste but have had the digestive problems on and off now that I am in peri. I always had some in PMS but now that PMS is so much longer it seems, the symptoms crop up for a longer time. And like many women on here I have the gas you mentioned.

Thanks for the tip on the Digestive Advantage IBS, I have heard of it and was wondering about it.

When you were getting your gas issues, was it in the morning mostly? Mine is right before I have to go to the bathroom in the morning, kind of like things are moving so to speak!! But it just bothers me almost every morning to have that feeling. I don't know why it does cause me anxiety as of course it is normal for us all , but I am just more anxious in peri anyway. Which I know does not help our digestive tracts in general!! It is also mainly near when I am ovulating or when my period should be due or coming.

rmc

Old 05-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
maggiecttr
(female)

maggiecttr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc12
Hi Maggie,
When you were getting your gas issues, was it in the morning mostly? Mine is right before I have to go to the bathroom in the morning, kind of like things are moving so to speak!! But it just bothers me almost every morning to have that feeling.
rmc
Hi--Not just in the a.m...ALL DAY LONG! Yikes. That's why I'm so glad the probiotic-based Digestive Advantage IBs has helped so much--but, remember--you'll still be gassy til you have been on it 2-4 weeks---I guess it takes that long for the body to adjust.

Hang in there--pretty soon, we'll be on the other side of all this!
Maggie C.

Closed Thread