It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Anyone taking Wellbutrin XL?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
PennyD

PennyD HB User
Arrow Anyone taking Wellbutrin XL?

If so, can you tell me if it is helping you? Have you gained/lost weight since starting the med? I started taking the the 150mg on Friday. So far I can't tell anything, of course, the only side effect seems to be it is making me sleepy. Any input is appreciated.

Penny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
armadillo pie
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: Anyone taking Wellbutrin XL?

It has been three years but I took Wellbutrin for about 6-8 months. I had terrible side effects and had to stop. Unlike you, at first it made me very hyper ( extremely so) and I lost weight immediately because I could not eat and I could not stop moving. I was on the lowest dose because I am small and can not handle more.
It made my PMS worse and my breasts became very swollen and tender. After a few months I stopped feeling hyper but then started to bottom out and then the weight came back on and I was more zombie like. I got on a board ( not this one) just for people taking Wellbutrin, because my side effects were so weird and I needed to know if others were having similiar effects- many were.
I took Wellbutrin because I did not want to give up my sex life which many of the other antidepressants do. My sex drive did not change much on it and I could still feel pleasure, but all the side effects were taking me down. My lips became so chapped for months I always had a red uper lip.I felt sick alot
another side effect.
So those were my experiences. But I should say there were people on the board who felt fine on it- so hopefully you are one of them.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
blondie301

blondie301 HB User

I am taking a generic form of Wellbutrin. I only take 50 mgs a day. I started at 100 mgs but it made me very hyper. I felt like I had drank several cups of coffee and I would get angry very easily and very irritable. I really do think that it effects people differently. Some people do get hyper and others it slows down. I have not gained weight from being on it.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #4
Hopefully
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyD
If so, can you tell me if it is helping you? Have you gained/lost weight since starting the med? I started taking the the 150mg on Friday. So far I can't tell anything, of course, the only side effect seems to be it is making me sleepy. Any input is appreciated.

Penny
I also take Wellbutrin XL 150mg and have been for about 6 months. You are now the third person I've heard of, including myself, who becomes sleepy after taking Wellbutrin. I hear time and time again about how Wellbutrin will make you hyper and that it's not good for people dealing with anxiety. It helped my anxiety and helped me to sleep like a baby. My doctor was shocked to know that I had this reaction, but now it seems that this isn't too uncommon a side effect.

My dr. prescribed this med. to help with my perimenopause mood swings, weight gain and NO libido.

The only thing that I've noticed is that initially I experienced a lot of bodyaches almost like I'd worked out at the gym. That lasted for a couple of weeks and then subsided. I also had this same reaction when first took Wellbutrin back in 2003.

I don't think...well I know I haven't lost weight while taking Wellbutrin XL. In the beginning it seem to have curbed my appetite somewhat and I might have lost a few ounces , but nothing outstanding. It would be nice if I could shed these 40 plus pounds that I've picked up since going through perimenpause. I was already overweight so 40 more pounds is just AGHHHHHHHHHHH!

Please keep posting and let us know how you like this antid.

Last edited by Hopefully; 04-30-2005 at 09:50 PM.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
PennyD

PennyD HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone!! I have been a little edgy, but I was like that after I came off of the Paxil CR and before the Wellbutrin. I will keep you all posted on how I do with it. Have a good weekend!
Penny

Closed Thread