It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Those with Back Problems : questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User
Those with Back Problems : questions

Hi,

I have had some back problems the past couple years, first starting 2 years ago when my back went "out". To make a long story short I have moderate to severe degeneration at L4-L5 which is the lower back area. But I do know the doctor said that it can affect the other side too, as of course it is all connected. So therefore when I do have a flare up or I am feeling it one day more than another, it will affect my right hip and lower back and pelvic area. It is not excruciating or anything like it was when it went "out" and I couldn't even get up. It is more aching and twingey. Heat and ice alternating helps, Motrin also and muscle relaxers if I have a flare up.

I am going to a chiropractor and have been for awhile and when I go recently he has said my upper back is locked along with the lower. It did not surprise me about the upper back as I did feel recently that it was achy and it does affect at times the rib area on the right...it is not digestive, it is definitely muscular (I can eat fine, and it is not related to anything like that). If I move a certain way , when I have a flare up , I feel it in the movement so that is why I know it is muscular and related to my back issues.

In peri this is now worse I think (I am 51) and near when my period should be coming (I am at day 23 today and can get it early, last time got it at day 24) it seems I get flare ups. I did today and it was a electric type of twinge when I was jazzercizing and we were doing a twisting type movement. I have a feeling I did not stretch enough beforehand. I only go to this class once a week , the other times I exercise during the week I go to the gym (bike or elliptical) and never have a problem there. I guess I will have to give up the class as I know I have felt my back more when I am there. It did not linger or anything but when I had it , even when I took a deep breath I felt the twinge which of course scared me. But then I realized that we do use muscles to breathe also and that was what was the problem. It just became achy (my back ) for the rest of the day. But my lower back and hip/pelvis area are achy too tonight and in the right ovary area which is normal for me at this time.(with period due)

Just wondering from those of you who have back problems what yours is like and if it radiates or affects other areas and what helps for you.

Thanks for listeninig and reading this loooonnng post!!

rmc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
JudeNZ
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User
Re: Those with Back Problems : questions

Hi RMC

I found your thread interesting. I've had back problem for years, after a bad fall when I was only 14. On and off it has given me a few problems after doing something silly like lifting.

However 2 and a half years ago it suddenly became a major issue for unknown reasons. It was agony and extremely debilitating. Only thing we could put it down to was travelling. I'd been on holiday with a friend who was out from the States, and spent a lot of time sitting in the car touring. It took close to 6 mths to come right, and I was very clear I never wanted it to be like that again.

Then about 6 weeks ago, it started to play up again, although a few things had occured that aggravated it. Thank goodness I have a superb physio, and it is coming right now thank goodness, but I read with interest that menopause may heighten symtpoms.

What i've found best for it is swimming, followed by a soak in the spa, with the jets on the sore spots. Keeps things moving, and maybe it is as we stiffen we get these injuries recoccuring.

What will we do with no health problem to worry about! lol

Jude

Old 05-09-2005, 07:46 AM   #3
Suze
(female)

Suze HB User

Hello there fellow back sufferer, I really do feel for you and appreciate cruel back pain. I broke my back in 1981 and it took me two long agonising years to walk again. Doctors told me that I would never walk again!! I have undergone three very major complex operations on my spine, each one being 50/50 whether I would walk again, but I was in so much pain I didn`t care. Doctors told me never to work, never to bend, never to even carry a handbag. I don`t work because of the constant pain, but I do bend and I can carry my handbag. I am very lucky. Everyday when I make the beds, which only involves pulling the duvets up, I literally get choked up because I am in so much pain but I have still done it and I am proud of myself. Anyway I`ve gone off the track. What I wanted to tell you was that, like you when my periods were due my back pain drove me absolutely crazy and so two tears ago when I was 40 I had a hysterectomy. Not because I didn`t want any more children, I had it to see if it would take the monthly drag away from my back pain. It did, it made so much difference. So now I never have that dull ache due to a period starting soon. I highly recommend a hysterectomy to anybody who suffers in the same way. I think that with my womb swelling up slightly getting ready to bleed, it must have been pushing against some nerves around my back area. That`s my experience, perhaps it may be worth talking to your doctor about a hysterectomy. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #4
JudeNZ
(female)

JudeNZ HB UserJudeNZ HB User

Suze you are a champion, and I raise my glass to your continued good health and lessening of your back problems. Makes me realise I don't have anything to even worry about.

Jude

Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #5
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Jude,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have read that it is worse during our periods and also at this time of peri. The swimming has been suggested to me by my doctor and unfortunately I am not that great a swimmer , but he even said aqua aerobics would be good too and I am going to look into that. I did do it at one time and it is gentle on the muscles and joints. We have a hot tub and that also helps too s you said.

I think during peri everything is just more inflammed and when it flared up on Sat. I think the two things play into each other.

I know you have mentioned also in another thread the gas that we all seem to get in Peri also and that has been very aggravating this cycle for me too. I went thru this last year for a certain amt of time and then it just kind of lessened and went away. I do know that gas is more common at this time but it is aggravating!!

Thanks for your post and it is always good to hear from you!!

rmc

Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
rmc12
Senior Veteran
(female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Suze,

I sure appreciate your post and feel so badly for all you have been thru. As Jude said your post made me feel too that I have nothing that I am dealing with in comparison at all. My heart goes out to you with the pain you deal with every day.

It was so sweet of you with all you have been thru and are going thru that you responded about my post. I do think as you said that our backs flare up more during this time and how you explained it with the womb swelling up makes a lot of sense that it would react with the nerves to our back . I am glad that the hysterctomy relieved you of any additional pain with your back during cycles.

And I also send many good wishes for more pain free days and continued good health to you.

rmc

Closed Thread