It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Blotches on Neck

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-08-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
alwaysaworrier
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User
Blotches on Neck

During the past number of days I have noticed what looked sort like hives on my neck (dont know if they were hives or not) but the were not really itchy. Now it just seems like they have turned into large red blothces and now they are itchy. Does anybody know what this could be and has anybody had this happen to them?? I don't know what to think of this or whether I need to visit a doctor about it - as you will see from my name I tend to worry about things that appear for no apparant reason. Any info would be appreciated.
Maggie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #2
kittenlover

kittenlover HB User
Re: Blotches on Neck

I think Molly had posted somewhere that she had neck/jaw hives for a year without any indication what caused them. I'm sorry if I have it wrong. I know someone posted that.

I ahven't had this...yet. I do notice that my skin is more sensitive to creams and perfumes and bug bites. Sometimes when I exercise, sweat makes my skin itch like mad where the sweat is.

Itching and hives are rarely a serious issue.
Have you tried new perfume? Soap? detergent? lotions? Meds? food?

Old 05-08-2005, 11:27 AM   #3
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User

Yes, I had hives on my face (of all places!!) for about a year! My eyes would look swollen too. Felt so ugly! It was definitely a "flare up" of some kind. Think it might have been from dust from cleaning out the garage the day before. Another time, I had hives all over on my body (stomach, back, arms -have lots of scars now!) - it was due to big-time stress/anxiety from a discrimination work issue.

The hives on my face were more like blotches - not really itchy but the blotchy area is raised if you know what I mean. The hives I had on my body were like little bumps - looked almost like flea bites and were really itchy. Couldn't wear a bra or any tight around my waist. Total misery! The dermo I went to treated me like I had scabies which wasn't the case.

Try not to worry about it - easier said than done - b/c it will make it worse. It is definitely a reaction to something. It could easily be an allergy perfume, detergent, soap, your pillow, hair product even. It would be almost impossible to pinpoint what caused it. You could put cold compresses on it - that will reduce the inflammation around that area and prevent it from itching further. If you have any anti-itch or 1% hydrocortisone creams, you might want to use that too. At night, take a Benedryl for a couple of nights and see if it goes down any. If you just can't stand it, go see a dermo dr. which they will probably tell you it's dermatitis or eczema - they usually give you some kind of hydrocortisone cream (Elidel) or antihistimaine (Doxepin) to try anyway (it'll be trial and error to see what works for you).

Hope this little bit of info helps. Don't stress over it - it will go away!

molly

Old 05-08-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
alwaysaworrier
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Thank you both for your replies. I can't think of anything different I used other that fake tan and maybe that is what has caused it. I actually never used it anywhere other than legs before now and it was also a new brand so hopefully that might be the answer!
Again, thanks so much for your replies.
Maggie

Old 05-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #5
sandieluvsbears
(female)

sandieluvsbears HB User

Hi, It could be the Bronzer, because I used Neutragena bronzer all last summer with no problem, and I tried the new Coppertone one last week and I broke out everywhere I put it, so much for the Copertone one, I took benedryl and that helped alot, Im going back to the Neutragena which I should have done in the first place, I had a coupo for the Coppertone, thats why I got it and eneded up spending more money on the benedryl, LOL. Also I have to be careful what I put on my face because it will break out more easily than any other part of my body.
Hugs Sandie

Old 05-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #6
alwaysaworrier
(female)

alwaysaworrier HB User

Just to let you know it has has cleared up perfectly thank god - it must have been the fake tan - won't be using that again!
Thanks for your support.
Maggie

Closed Thread