It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

another anxiety question.....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
browneyedsusie
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User
another anxiety question.....

Hi Ladies....Well I am definetly going through an anxious time right now as my Nana(whom I look after) fell and broke her hip on Sunday. She is 95 (a young one) but she was taken to the city about 2 hours from where we live for surgery. She is not coping too well, her blood pressure is very low and kidneys are not working well and I have been down in the city the last 4 days with her and still trying to run the house here as I have 3 children and a husband.
Anyway...my question is....Has anxiety ever manifested itself in any of you in this way?....I have a strange feeling that certain ways I move or walk that the ground is unsteady underneath me. Almost like I have had a bit too much too drink(I have not) . I was just in my daughters room trying to put out some clothes for them tomorrow when all of a sudden the floor felt like it sorta fell beneath me(like I had stepped in a hole) it caught me off balance for a second. I know I am probably in a state of anxiety even though I am able to multi task all the things going on here.
I guess what I am wondering is if the feeling of the floor moving under you could be a symptom of anxiety.
Thanks all for your help and advice, it is always appreciated. Lesley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 06:37 AM   #2
Wink
(female)

Wink HB User
Re: another anxiety question.....

Hi,

I sometimes experience something similar to what you described...I was standing in line this morning to get a cup of coffee and all of a sudden I felt off balance, sort of like the floor suddenly moved, and it caused me to have to hold on to the counter for a minute to steady myself. This doesn't happen very often, but when it does it can be kind of scary. When this does happen to me it's usually around the time I would be getting a period (haven't had a real one since last July). I've read other accounts of women experiencing sudden dizziness, or that"off balance" feeling, or that feeling like the room is closing in, or the floor is moving, so you are not alone! When I do experience one of these "episodes" now, I just try and relax, tell myself it will pass (which it does) and try not to dwell on it too much. It's easy to worry about whats happening and then the anxiety kicks in and we start to stress out and feel even worse. As with any troubling symtoms, it's always a good idea to get checked out by a doc if it continues or gets worse. I had CAT scan, brain MRI, Corotid (sp?) artery tests done and all came back normal, so in my case I know it's nothing serious. It also helped me a great deal to understand that other women were experiencing this. Hang in there!

Old 05-19-2005, 06:50 AM   #3
browneyedsusie
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Thanks Wink~ You are so right , it does help to know you are not alone. I hate to ask my doctor about anything as she always says it's anxiety ever since I went through a few surgeries 10yrs ago. I thank you so much for your post, I feel better just knowing I am not alone. I have had a thumping on and off in my ear 3 days prior to this, no pain just the thumping. I did not like that feeling (of the floor moving) and feel anxious waiting for it to happen again. I will just try and relax as I don't want this to turn into a health anxiety issue. Thanks again......Lesley

Old 05-19-2005, 07:18 AM   #4
jacqbu
Veteran
(female)

jacqbu HB User

I did that once and it was after I had a terrible migraine it felt like the floor dropped out. I get dizziness mainly now and my head feels funny a lot of the time. Hang in there.

Last edited by jacqbu; 05-19-2005 at 07:26 AM.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Wink
(female)

Wink HB User

browneyedsusie,

I also get that "thumping in my ear" sensation! It's almost like a heartbeat in my ear area. My doctor said that could be due to fluid in the ear canal. Whenever I get that lightheaded, floor moving sensation it is sometimes accompanied by that ear thumping sound but not always. I know that fluid in the ear canal can also cause dizziness, or an off balance feeling. It's hard to distinguish what symptoms are due to the perimenopause, and what might be due to something else. It is important to try and stay calm when it happens, because anxiety can really cause a lot of stress, which in turn can impact physical symptoms, making them worse.

I was given a prescription for a nasal spray called Nasonex that also helps relieve fluid build-up in the ears. It seems to work for me when I get that ear thumping sensation.

Take care!

Closed Thread