It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Is this Perimenopause or Menopause?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
    smvdelv
    (female)

smvdelv HB User
    Is this Perimenopause or Menopause?

I am 47 (almost 48) and still having periods every 28 -31 days like clockwork (with the exception of skipping one month back last summer). I do notice changes in my period, however (shorter in duration, not as heavy). After reading the posts on this board, I see that I have a lot of the symptoms of perimenopause and menopause - mood swings, lightheadedness, stomach issues, etc. Is there a way to know if I am going through menopause or just perimenopause at this point? Whatever it is, it stinks!!!!

Last edited by smvdelv; 05-23-2005 at 08:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #2
    LT1215
    (female)

LT1215 HB User
    Re: Is this Perimenopause or Menopause?

Your gynecologist can hear your symptoms and also test your hormone levels to see if they indicate whether you have started this wonderful phase of life.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Smvdelv,

The very fact that you are 47 and almost 48 means you are in perimenopause regardless of testing. From what my gyn has said and what I have read here and in books, Perimenopause is the time before menopause. By the time we are in our late 40s, if we have not had an early peri/or menopause by that time, we are in perimenopause just by the nature of our age. Testing is not totally reliable as our hormones are all over the place, so you might take the FSH test which they do for measuring our hormones and it may test one way one day and another the next.

I am 51 and what you are going thru sounds just like me. I noticed changes when I was in my mid 40s as far as once "like clockwork" periods coming closer together and getting shorter. I also had a couple at day 40 or 50 in my later 40s. But it was really when I was in my late 40s that I noticed it to be a longer pms , shorter periods, some spotting in between (just one or two times) and just some things that were different like that. I asked my gyn when I was 48 or 49 about the test (they had taken it when I was in my mid 40s and it techincally did not show anything) and she said at that point (when I was 48 or 49) that I am in perimenopause just due to my age, and so the test is really not going to tell us anything as it certainly does not tell you when it is going to stop (your periods) ,unfortunately.

Menopause is when you have gone officially one year without your period. The time before is Perimenopause leading up to that.

The issues you mention, especially the moods and stomach issues I have had on and off too and again a very long pms in this stage. It is not fun, I know. Anxiety is also a biggie for me too and others.

So yes, you are in perimenopause and it all leads to menopause when our periods stop. There are a few people on this board that will hopefully post that they are doing better now that they are done with their periods, although I do know some still have a few symtpoms. But I think it is the peri stage that everyone will agree is the worst!!

For me, I am still getting my periods pretty regularly, although I did have one that came at day 49 this year. But the others have been at the earlier time frame of day 25 or 26. They are short and I do not have a long flow time at all. I do as I said experience some times the stomach issues and also anxiety, it is all like a longer pms.

There is a great book on perimenopause called The Pause that goes thru all the symtpoms and offers suggestions and I highly recommend it.

Hang in there, you are not alone.

rmc

Old 05-23-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
    smvdelv
    (female)

smvdelv HB User

Thanks so much, RMC!

The symptoms that seem to be bugging me right now are the lightheadedness (not really dizzy, although I did have one spell the other day that only lasted about 30 seconds but scared me to death!) and the mood swings - up one minute, down the next!

It doesn't help that I live with 3 males - 1 husband and 2 teenaged boys!!! I'm so glad I found this board!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread