It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Does Anyone Else Feel Like....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2005, 09:54 PM   #31
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    Re: Does Anyone Else Feel Like....

Hi Litt,
    I can understand how wonderful it is to feel like normal human again! Isn't it great? I sighed with relief when it happened to me!

Hi Hellasrules,
    You have a good night and weekend too! No one warned me that peri symptoms could be so bad either; in fact, I never even heard of the word until I was struck by it suddenly the year I turned 50. I got until the month of June before I make my 1-year mark. Hopefully, I will cruise thru post-meno w/o any problems!

molly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 10:02 PM   #32
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    Hi Litt,
    I can understand how wonderful it is to feel like normal human again! Isn't it great? I sighed with relief when it happened to me!

Hi Hellasrules,
    You have a good night and weekend too! No one warned me that peri symptoms could be so bad either; in fact, I never even heard of the word until I was struck by it suddenly the year I turned 50. I got until the month of June before I make my 1-year mark. Hopefully, I will cruise thru post-meno w/o any problems!

molly
    Hi Molly,
    Which AD are you on? I think my doctor was really smart to put me on the Lexapro, I guess he had really good success with it. I think I was struck hard when I hit 50 too! I thought peri was kind of bad but it was nothing compared to the real thing! I wonder when I will finally hit the year mark. This time I have to December to hit that. Do you have problems with your face breaking out? Mine keeps doing that. I will get it cleared up and then it will break out again. I know it's hormones going whacko! So embarrassing - a 51 year old woman with teenage skin - plus wrinkles!

Jackie

Old 05-27-2005, 10:33 PM   #33
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Jackie,
    What does litthotwm stand for? Little Hot Woman???

Anyhoo, I am on Paxil CR 12.5mg right now but will be taking the generic as soon as I run out. I was first put on Wellbutrin XL and was on it for about 9 days only but it made me feel worse so I stopped. I felt better almost immediatley once I took the Paxil. It was actually amazing to feel better after feeling so bad everyday 24/7 for months. Peri also hit hard for me at age 50 and really didn't stop having my period for months on end until I was age 51 so you might be on the same road as I was. I started skipping periods around age 48-49.

You asked about my skin. I don't have acne/pimples if that's what you mean. Occasionally, I will get hit with dry spots there and there, esp. on my forehead and I use this cream my dermo gave me. I used to get hives on my face and it was mostly due to stress. I heard of many "middle-aged" women getting acne/pimples. It is hormonal.

How long have you been feeling normal?

molly

Old 05-27-2005, 11:33 PM   #34
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Jackie,

I have been reading your posts about the Lexapro with interest. I take an anti-anxiety med, (xanax) as needed but was given Lexapro last year when things were really bad. It did not agree with me in that it gave me nausea. You and I may have posted on this before so forgive me if I am repeating. Sometimes one forgets who they have told things to as we chat on this board. anyway, the gyn said that if I needed to try something again there are other options and it is in the back of my head that I can do that if need be. The xanax seems to help at this point when I need it.

But it is interesting to hear that the Lexapro is helping you and encouraging. My Gyn said it is what she most often gives women in peri. Did you have any ill effects at first with it?

I am 51 also and still getting periods as you know from my post and anxiety has been a big issue with me on and off so this post has been interesting and helpful also. Always good to hear what others are doing or how they are dealing with things.

Take care,

rmc

Old 05-28-2005, 06:58 AM   #35
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by molly123
    Hi Jackie,
    What does litthotwm stand for? Little Hot Woman???

Anyhoo, I am on Paxil CR 12.5mg right now but will be taking the generic as soon as I run out. I was first put on Wellbutrin XL and was on it for about 9 days only but it made me feel worse so I stopped. I felt better almost immediatley once I took the Paxil. It was actually amazing to feel better after feeling so bad everyday 24/7 for months. Peri also hit hard for me at age 50 and really didn't stop having my period for months on end until I was age 51 so you might be on the same road as I was. I started skipping periods around age 48-49.

You asked about my skin. I don't have acne/pimples if that's what you mean. Occasionally, I will get hit with dry spots there and there, esp. on my forehead and I use this cream my dermo gave me. I used to get hives on my face and it was mostly due to stress. I heard of many "middle-aged" women getting acne/pimples. It is hormonal.

How long have you been feeling normal?

molly
    Molly,
    Yes indeed LittHotwm stand for little hot woman I am only 4'10" has since I am going through meno with the hot flashes and all - I thought it was a fitting name

I started skipping periods alot about three years ago, but really long stretches inbetween two years ago. I only had two periods last year - in March and then in Dec. Mother nature certainly has a sense of humor as I thought I was through since I had not had one since August of the prior year and then on THE DAY I turned 50 - I started my period! I thought it was rather funny.

I have only been feeling normal since I started on Lexapro. Apparently it does something with the peri symptoms also because they all went magically away I hope they stay away! I know I would go through periods before where they would go away and then come back (hot flashes & night sweats) but I find it too much of a coincidence that they went away as soon as I started on the Lexapro. I hope you all don't find me posting later on that they have come back!

Old 05-28-2005, 07:10 AM   #36
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmc12
    Jackie,

I have been reading your posts about the Lexapro with interest. I take an anti-anxiety med, (xanax) as needed but was given Lexapro last year when things were really bad. It did not agree with me in that it gave me nausea. You and I may have posted on this before so forgive me if I am repeating. Sometimes one forgets who they have told things to as we chat on this board. anyway, the gyn said that if I needed to try something again there are other options and it is in the back of my head that I can do that if need be. The xanax seems to help at this point when I need it.

But it is interesting to hear that the Lexapro is helping you and encouraging. My Gyn said it is what she most often gives women in peri. Did you have any ill effects at first with it?

I am 51 also and still getting periods as you know from my post and anxiety has been a big issue with me on and off so this post has been interesting and helpful also. Always good to hear what others are doing or how they are dealing with things.

Take care,

rmc
    Hi RMC

Don't worry about repeating yourself, as I find myself doing that quite a bit too, I forget what I have said in prior posts so most likely I have repeated myself quite a bit. I did have some side affects with the Lexapro at first, one being nausea. I was taking it at night and I would be fine until I went to bed. Then it seems that the nausea would come on and I would be tossing and turning all night feeling sick. So - I switched to taking it in the morning with a light breakfast and I was fine. At first I would feel rather groggy and sleepy, but that went away too. Also it felt like my mind was going 100 miles an hours, and I couldn't sit still, I had to be active doing something all the time - tons of energy. All of that has leveled off now, and did after I had been on it a few weeks. I have been on it nearly three months now and I kind of miss that zinging feeling that gives you tons of energy. I got alot done during that time!

I had lots of anxiety also. I would work myself into a "tizzy" as we southern women call it. I also found myself obsessing over things, like something would get stuck in my mind and I couldn't seem to get past it. Now things don't bother me nearly as bad and I don't seem to obsess over bad or troubling things like I did - thank God! I would absolutely drive myself crazy and nearly make myself sick over things. When you tried the Lexapro - did you start out with a very low dose? That would be the way to go. Forgive me if you said that before, as I have forgotten too...

Take care ladies - Enjoy your Holiday Weekend!

Jackie

Old 05-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #37
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for the post and answering my questions about the Lexapro.

When I was given it last year it was when my peri symptoms started to really come to the forefront and since I did not know that so many of them could be related to Peri I was very anxious and worried over them. Now I know they are related to peri and still get anxious at times but not as badly as last year I think.

Yes,I believe I was given a low dose and also she told me to half the pill when I took it initially. I could not get past the nausea as I was having stomach disturbances as it was so it seemed to add to it.

However reading your post that your symptoms are now relieved it sure is a good adverstisement for Lexapro!! I know everyone is different though and what works for one doesn't another at times but it is something I will explore if I feel I need to and if I do I will remember what you said about taking it in the morning with breakfast. Although I know I must have taken it with food as some pills in general at times bother me so I tend to take them with food.

What peri symptoms were you having before the Lexapro?

Have a great weekend and thanks for the post,

rmc

Old 05-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #38
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi RMC,

I was having hot flashes, night sweats, not being able to sleep much at night. On the emotional side - anxiety, irritability and ever worsening depression. I also had some of the symptoms other ladies discussed - but I had no idea they were realted to per-meno. The burning tongue, muscle twitches are a couple I remember. Sometime it felt like bugs crawling on my head!

Old 05-28-2005, 05:59 PM   #39
    Little Amy
    Veteran
    (female)

Little Amy HB User

This is my first time to post and I am elated to find I haven't been insane for the past four years. I've been through so many severe panic attacks (emergency room kind), anxiety, bugs crawling in my head, gall bladder removed, depression, heart palpitations, fatigue and now nosebleeds! It's a relief to see I'm not alone. I started going through all this at age 39 and am getting ready to turn 45 - it's been a rough ride. I've tried all the SSRI's, seen the "deer in the headlights" look from every doctor I've visited with about all this, because they can't imagine what could be wrong since all my blood work looks great. Finally, my family doctor did a hormone profile and found I was post-menopausal, but still having periods - whatever that means. It just confirmed to me that I was going through perimenopause! FUN! I tried the bio-identical hormone thing, which almost sent me to the emergency room again, I did not react well to that at all. So, for anyone struggling with being extremely sensitive to meds., I've had the best luck with "believe-it-or-not", acupuncture! I had been using Xanax off and on for about 3 years, and then solid for the past year. The acupuncture allowed me to get off the Xanax completely and has helped me like NOTHING else has. I also eat a Revival soy bar every day, which has been very beneficial for the hot flashes and helping to ease some of the other symptoms. I'd love to hear if anyone else has experienced nosebleeds with all this mess. They started about the same time that the anxiety kicked in, but have become more frequent in the past year-and-a-half, and are bad enough I've seen the doctor many times for these - with of course, no explanation as to why they are occurring. They tell me I'm very healthy! Help!

Old 05-28-2005, 06:12 PM   #40
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Amy,

Geez - I am so sorry, you sound like you have had an extremely rough way to go! And, at an extremely age too. But, it does happen, it happened to a friend of mine. She went into a deep depression and had horrible anxiety attacks even to the point of having to be hospitalized. After all the psychiatric help, she went to her gyn and he did a blood test and found that she too was post-menopausal but still having periods like you.

I have not had accupuncture, and not sure we even have any places with those treatments here, but I haven't really looked into it. I am glad you found something that does work for you though. Especially if you can't take any of the SSRI's. It's all about finding what works for you as an individual, and it certianly sounds like you have found the successful remedy to your per-meno symptoms! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Jackie

Old 05-28-2005, 07:24 PM   #41
    Sissypie
    Veteran
    (female)

Sissypie HB User

Amy,

I've had episodes of nose bleeds too. I never did a connection to it being related to menopause though. I thought maybe it was my blood pressure, or broken capilaries in my nose. The ones that I have had have been very short, and start suddenly. A couple have been when I was asleep.

I wonder if that really is a perimenopause symptom? It's one I haven't heard of if it is.

I'm sorry that you have had such a long hard journey, and I'm happy that you have found some relief with the accupuncture.

Sandi

Old 05-29-2005, 09:29 AM   #42
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

hi little hot woman,

Why didn't you choose little hot mama? LOL! Wow, you are little - only 4'10"? You must have a hard time reaching to get stuff from shelves in the store! I'm about 5'2" and I do! LOL!

You are on the road to meno if you had a period sinc last August - keep your fingers crossed! I went thru 6 mos. of not having one and then it came back once and now my mark is June 2005! Yippee! I am 52 now and it's hard to believe that 2 years ago, I went thru such a bad time. I get occasional hot flashes that seem to come/go. Sometimes I don't get them for months even. Now I just have to deal with some breast issues, occasional aches/pain, and just getting old.

have a good sunday,
    molly

Old 05-29-2005, 09:43 AM   #43
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Molly, I do have trouble getting things from shelves in the stores. One of these days I am going to get hurt from climbing on things to reach them! You should have seen me climbing up in the freezer case to get some ice cream at Walmart last night, lol.

Yes - Dec is my one year mark now, so I still have a ways to go this time. I am hoping that I make it and I will be through with these pesky periods. I just hope I don't get the flashes and sweats again. I am thinking the Lexapro helped with that, so I am hoping that isn't just a coincidence!

I just posted on the meno and dry eyes thread that you had posted on. As I have had a hard time with that also.

You have a good Sunday as well!

Jackie

Old 05-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #44
    Little Amy
    Veteran
    (female)

Little Amy HB User

Sandi:
    Thanks for your response on the nosebleeds issue! This has been one of the symptoms that has disturbed me the most. I've never had blood coming out of my face!! So it is definitely very frightening. I have read on the internet of other women mentioning the perimenopausal nosebleed issue, but it's very little and none of my doctors have heard of it, but...if you read about pregnancy nosebleeds, it's very common due to "hormonal fluctuations", so why wouldn't the most hormonally fluctuating women on earth be having them, that's right the menopausal woman! Again, thanks for your response, I don't feel so alone now!
    Amy

Old 05-29-2005, 09:51 AM   #45
    Little Amy
    Veteran
    (female)

Little Amy HB User

Jackie:
    Thanks so much for the info. about your friend who has had a similar experience with this "menopause thing". It SO helps to know that you are not alone. It's frustrating that so very few doctors recognize what is going on with women. They have had to see thousands of women with these same symptoms - just look at these message boards - and yet they just seem to never want to check hormones, and seem to know so little about menopause and how to help with it. Maybe fifty years into the future there will be better help or more information to help women. Thanks again for responding to my post.
    Amy

Closed Thread