It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Does Anyone Else Feel Like....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User
    Angry Does Anyone Else Feel Like....

the "Pod People" came in the night and turned you into someone else???
    Sometimes, I just don't know who I am anymore. I'm anxious 24/7, my anger is totally out of control. Since menopause took over 4-5 yrs ago, I just am NOT the same person. I used to enjoy my job (mostly). Now all I have to do is walk in the door and something changes me into a raving lunatic! I used to like going for drives in the car too, but the drivers irritate me, too, and have me screaming at them.
    I wake up in the morning, or from a nap, with an anxiety attack! Almost all the time.
    I was always a shy, quiet person. Before my periods would come, I would get even quieter. I hardly ever said Boo to anyone. I was always the do everything by the rules person. Right now, I'm lucky I still have a job I've been so darn cranky & loud.
    I was actually doing good with menopause until about a year ago. What the heck is going on???
    Is this menopause or just life? I'd like to have "me" back.
    If it's menopause and I'm 5 yrs into in, then when does it level off??? Or maybe it never does.
    Sorry, I know this is long, but I need to feel better, and soon!
    Do any of you have this anxiety, stress, anger problem?

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASRULES For This Useful Post:
    premjyothi (05-16-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
    Earlene
    (female)

Earlene HB User
    Re: Does Anyone Else Feel Like....

Unfortunately, I feel the same as you. I have been asking the SAME questions. For me, my hormones are definitely out of whack and it's been hard getting to that point. I just want to feel good and I don't. I much anxiety, stress. It's hormonal, I think.
    Are you taking anything at all? Maybe I've prolonged my symptoms by taking hrt. But some women need them and some can make it fine without them.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thnks Earlene..just knowing I'm not the only one is a help. I think I've had all the meno symptoms that exist! How come no one ever told us about all these other things? Hot Flashes I can live with...it's the only time at work I'm ever warm! I tried HRT when it all started but made my eyes all dry & scratchy. I don't do anything to mess with my eyes(Long story, there too), so tried all the herbal stuff. Just haven't found anything to work on this stress/anger/anxiety thing. Well except for the ativan my PCP threw at me when I started screaming at him, too! Oh and Kava KAva worked pretty good, too, till "they" said it caused liver damage! They removed it from one of the herbals I was using, so that didn't work anymore. I know you can still buy it, but
    not sure I want to chance liver damage.
    Thanks again.

Old 05-23-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
    Sissypie
    Veteran
    (female)

Sissypie HB User

I used to be the most even tempered, easy going person on the planet. I liked everyone, and got along with everybody. That was then...this is now. I've turned into someone I don't even know, and someone I definately don't like. I can make an issue out of just about anything, and I can not seem to control my temper, or emotions. This isn't like depression or sadness....it's anger, stress, and irritability. And it's totally uncontrollable. It's like once I'm upset....there is no way to talk myself out of it. Like someone else takes over. I hate it....and my husband isn't a happy camper either. Add the insomnia with it, and it isn't pretty. I'm like this for 3 weeks of the month, even though my periods are still regular, and normal.

Due to my family's history of strokes, and my history of migraine with aura, I'm trying not to use any prescription HRTs. The PMS and insomnia are my worst symptoms at the moment, but I've also had the heart flutters, anxiety and panic feelings too.

I did get a little chuckle out of Hellasrules comment about getting irritated at drivers. I drive for a living, and that can be a challenge sometimes.

There is comfort knowing that others can relate, but reading the posts about this happening for years before it gets better are very discouraging to me.

Thanks for posting about this, and I hope you find some relief soon.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #5
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hi ladies - I can relate to all of your posts, but I developed despression along with everything else and felt like crying all the time. Nothing hardly every made me happy any more. I didn't want to take HRT and I tried all the herbal stuff too. I did pretty well until late last year and then even worse the beginning of this year. I could handle the night sweats and hot flashes - but the anxiety, anger and depression - I couldn't. I went to my doctor in March and talked to him about it and he suggested I try Lexapro (antidepressnt). I never wanted to try one of those either, but by that time - I just wanted to feel good again! I started on it that day and I promise you - within a few days I was like a new person! I cannot begin to tell you how much better it has made me feel. Don't be like I was and suffer for so long - do get yourself some help. I just wish I had done that sooner!

Old 05-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Whew!!!! Boy am I glad I'm not the only one. I was beginning to think there was something really bad going on with brain chemicals or something! But you want to know the scary thing??? All of the women in my office are all hitting this menopause thing at the same time ....This could get really scary!
    So, who did you ask about the anti-depressants? Your Primary or Gyno?
    My primary always tells me to see my gyno, and the gyno always tells me to see my primary!! Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhh hhhhh!!!!!
    I was thinking of a psychiatrist or someone along that line.
    And I can relate to that crazy mood thing, even when you're still having you're periods. I guess I had the same thing, and it was probably peri-meno.
    But would be crying over some stupid thing, and then would brake out laughing at the same time. (My BF at the time, thought I was nuts!!!)
    Thanks everyone for just being there and being in the same boat.
    Hope we all feel better soon.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

hi hellarules,
    Boy! I can hear the frustration and craziness in you ! I sense you are climbing the walls, pulling your hair out! I know how all this meno crap can be like! I went thru my hell couple of years ago (geez, has it been that long?) and am fine now! I felt much better once I was put on an anti-depressant (paxil cr) which I was really leery about taking. I got mine from my GP but it was recommended by a woman dr. who worked w/my sister at a drug detox clinic. My dr. (a man) didn't have a clue as to what was going on with me esp. since I wasn't having hot flashes at the time, even tho I was 50 yo. I wouldn't waste my time going to see a psychiatrist - there is nothing wrong with you mentally - plus you don't need to the stress of having to go there! I NEVER in my life thought my experience with peri-symptoms would be so bad - it was definitely a rudewakening experience that I don't wish on anyone! I too can deal with hot flashes - it's the other symptoms that are bad!

You said you have been going thru this for 5 yrs. Just curious, how old are you now? Are you still getting your period regulary? I am assuming it has gotten worse now or you're having other bad symptoms? Well, you are at the right place. Vent to us here! You have my shoulders to cry on if you want!

molly

Old 05-25-2005, 05:13 PM   #8
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hey Molly, I just turned 50 in April (THAT really helped!) My period is long gone (the only good thing about meno). It's just the mental things that really bother me now(anger, anxiety, irritable, etc.) I've gotten used to the physical things that came with it (insomnia, hot flashes, tingling, tired all the time, palpitations, etc.) Maybe it's all just compounded by life's little surprise in the last year, too...torn retina, father having 3 stints & bypass in FL during that awful hurricane season, then burning mouth syndrome, and lastly...2 months of exruciating dislocated ribs...Oh, and my BF I haven't seen since January (HIs sick parents, work and he keeps getting sick from being exhausted & hasn't had a vacation in 6 years). And , then of course, work!!!
    Oops, sorry! Didn't mean to complain...just maybe all been building up. Maybe once this nasty spring weather lets up & we get some sun...I can calm done. Long weekend coming up, too. That should help a bit.
    I'm leery of meds, too, as I always seem to have allergic reactions to a lot of meds. Hate to feel worse than you already do, you know?
    Thanks for listening.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:19 PM   #9
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi girls, I thought I was losing my mind too, and even contemplated taking some of my husband's anti-dedpressants that he had (Paxil CR) and see what that did, but decided that was a dumb thing to do So - I went to the healthfood store and got a herbal menopause formula and gave it a try. I was starting to feel better and thought I had it licked, but then the emotions went crazy again and the hot flashes and night sweats came back with a vengence. When I got the the point where I was irritable, desparately unhappy and depressed and anxious all the time - I said enough! I bit the bullet and went to my Gyno who gave me the Lexapro. I was SOOO scared to take that stuff But it worked so great for me, and still is.

Funny both of you mentioned symptoms that I had been having and never associated with the peri- and menopause thing. Like the burning mouth, heart palpations, tingling, etc. I didn't have a clue what all of that was about! My last period was in Dec, but every time I think I'm over with them for good - I have another one. So - we'll see. My face keeps breaking out like I am a teenager again, and it's disgusting. You know, before I started on the Lexapro, I was having the night sweats and hot flashes something crazy - but right after I started on it - they went away and I hope they stay away!!!

Hang in there girls - with the AD's life is managable again, and it feels SO good to actually feel happy again!!!

Jackie (age 51)

Old 05-26-2005, 03:36 AM   #10
    ssMarilyn
    Inactive
    (female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User

Are you menopausal or perimenopausal? If you're the latter, then it can go on for years and years! I started peri in my late 30's and am still going strong at 53, 15 years now. I feel it did help me to cut out all processed foods and starch, plus I've been losing weight without even trying. This stuff really bites, doesn't it!

Marilyn

Old 05-26-2005, 05:59 AM   #11
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ssMarilyn
    Are you menopausal or perimenopausal? If you're the latter, then it can go on for years and years! I started peri in my late 30's and am still going strong at 53, 15 years now. I feel it did help me to cut out all processed foods and starch, plus I've been losing weight without even trying. This stuff really bites, doesn't it!

Marilyn
    Hi Marilyn, I am definitely in menopause now (as confirmed by the blood test in March). I think I started in Peri in my mid forties. I first noticed the skipped periods about age 45, and then they came more and more often until they were maybe 6 to 9 months apart. I really didn't start hot flashes and night sweats until last year (age 50). I guess I was lucky! The mood swings and irritability were the things that have been going on for the longest. That's the toughest thing for me. I had been able to easily keep my weight at 95 lbs, but last year I gained three lbs and I cannot get it off no matter what I do. I feel like a blimp right now and I am scared to weigh!!!

Old 05-26-2005, 07:43 AM   #12
    danigirl
    (female)

danigirl HB User

Why is everyone so quick to go on antidepressants? Do you not realize this is only making your out of balance body worse? I have seen both my boyfriend and daughter on these and how hard it has been for them to get off of these. Resort to other resources first. Try changing your diet, start excersizing or walking, meditate or do yoga, etc. Don't always go for the easy way out. Believe me I have suffered from all of the symptoms and more that you have described. I am now 49 and still having them. We are a lazy society and want everything to go away with a pill. I know that when I eat better and exercise, I feel so much better. Yes I do take calcium/mag, and a couple herbs but thats it. YOu can do it if you just try it and don't go to the easy way out. In the long run, its going to make it worse and you still haven't solved the problem. And a word on the progesterone cream, I'm glad its working for some people, but that again, did not work for me. It works for awhile and then all of the symptoms come back. I'm convinced the only way to conquer this is thru diet and activity.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #13
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danigirl
    Why is everyone so quick to go on antidepressants? Do you not realize this is only making your out of balance body worse? I have seen both my boyfriend and daughter on these and how hard it has been for them to get off of these. Resort to other resources first. Try changing your diet, start excersizing or walking, meditate or do yoga, etc. Don't always go for the easy way out. Believe me I have suffered from all of the symptoms and more that you have described. I am now 49 and still having them. We are a lazy society and want everything to go away with a pill. I know that when I eat better and exercise, I feel so much better. Yes I do take calcium/mag, and a couple herbs but thats it. YOu can do it if you just try it and don't go to the easy way out. In the long run, its going to make it worse and you still haven't solved the problem. And a word on the progesterone cream, I'm glad its working for some people, but that again, did not work for me. It works for awhile and then all of the symptoms come back. I'm convinced the only way to conquer this is thru diet and activity.
    Danigirl, believe me - the AD was not taking the easy way out for me. I had tried everything before finally resorting to that. I eat healthy, I exercise religiously, don't smoke, rarely drink, have been taking Calcium/Magnesium, Evening Primrose oil, Flaxseed Oil, etc for several years now and that was ok until the last 8 months, the depression and anxiety became so bad that I knew that I could not go on that way. When you wake up every morning and immediately feel the cloud of darkness and feel like you are going to cry ALL the time, then you know that you have to do something. I did it for myself, I knew that no matter how much I wanted to tough it out without taking anything as far as HRT or and AD - I was not going to put myself and everyone around me through that anymore. I could not stand the terrible sad, empty, hopeless feeling that overwhelmed me. I feel like a whole different person now, and I actually feel happy and my relationship between my husband and me is 100% better too. I am very glad that there IS something out there to help us when we need it!

Old 05-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #14
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by litthotwm
    Danigirl, believe me - the AD was not taking the easy way out for me. I had tried everything before finally resorting to that. I eat healthy, I exercise religiously, don't smoke, rarely drink, have been taking Calcium/Magnesium, Evening Primrose oil, Flaxseed Oil, etc for several years now and that was ok until the last 8 months, the depression and anxiety became so bad that I knew that I could not go on that way. When you wake up every morning and immediately feel the cloud of darkness and feel like you are going to cry ALL the time, then you know that you have to do something. I did it for myself, I knew that no matter how much I wanted to tough it out without taking anything as far as HRT or and AD - I was not going to put myself and everyone around me through that anymore. I could not stand the terrible sad, empty, hopeless feeling that overwhelmed me. I feel like a whole different person now, and I actually feel happy and my relationship between my husband and me is 100% better too. I am very glad that there IS something out there to help us when we need it!

Litt, I've also been there! I tried everything from exercising, to losing weight thinking it would help with how horrible I was feeling. I only sank further into depression which was triggered by the multiple panic attacks that I was having daily. As someone once put it, I was so low (in depression) that I had to look up to see my feet. I know so well about the emptiness, dread, doom, and dark feeling of depression. Although I had to try several antidepressants, some making my symptoms worst, I finally came across one that helped...but in my case it wasn't until I began taking hormones that I truly felt closer to "normal" again. While on antidepressants alone I kept telling my dr. about still feeling lethargic, spacey, and weird. She kept telling me that something else must be going on...when I was finally diagnosed as going through perimenopause and given hormones I felt the clouds lift, the world began to appear clear, I could feel again, I could laugh again, I could enjoy sunny days again and most of all I could enjoy being me again.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

I too have always ate healthy, don't smoke or drink at all, not overweight really (but wouldn't mind losing a few), worked out intensely most of my life - from diehard aerboics to getting a second degree black belt in my 30's-40's. I really didn't start having intolerable, unmangeable, malfunctioning, horrendous peri-symptoms until I turned 50, which I think was the time when I was transitioning from peri to meno - maybe that's why it didn't last all that long for me in comparison to some of the other ladies here. I went on an AD mainly out of desperation. I don't think I was quick with it either - it was only after 35 dr. visits and feeling crappy everyday for 5 mos. It was just not normal for me to feel so bad/fatigue that I had to stop working and since I've worked since I was 16 and have always been one who never even took sick time off, it was really hard for me. I had my BF, family and friends all worried about me and I'm sure they got tired of dealing with what I was going thru day/night. I only started taking vits/supplements after I started feeling better enough to find out about it.

I've heard (only on the net for some reason) about people having problems when trying to get off of them. But all the people I know personally seem to have no problems. When I decide it's time for me to wean off, I know my dr. will work closely w/me.

Closed Thread