It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Prozac for Peri Questions??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
    d38
    (female)

d38 HB User
    Prozac for Peri Questions??

Well anyone who read my thread about 2 weeks ago knew I was not wanting to go on my vacation that I had been soooo looking forward to and needing. Well the entire time I was there except for 2 days I was sick. I had the WORST hormonal flucuations and am not sure if they were hot flashes but would get really nausated mainly at night and just had to lie in bed. I stopped my Yasmin for 2 days and called my Dr. This morning just a crying, she told me to not stop the BCP and gave me a script for Prozac 20mg once a day. I am so hoping it will help with the moodswings and crying, I still cant even have a conversation without shedding tears and it drives me NUTS!! Is anyone else on Prozac and has it seemed to help your symptoms ect?? I would LOVE any feedback .
    I just sometimes feel so alone because none of my friends my age (38) have or understand what I am going through. My DH is being so understanding and cooked and helped all weekend, he is coming around understanding this Peri stuff but it is killing me!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User
    Re: Prozac for Peri Questions??

My mom took it years ago and did great with it. A lady I work with started taking it about 5 months ago. She is in menopause and was either crying or angry. It has worked great for her. I was put on it last week and it make my skin tingle all over my body so I quit taking it. I was so hoping it would help me. Maybe I needed to give it more time. Please post after you take it and let me know how it does for you. I also would be interested in others who have taken it.
    Best of luck
    Jacq.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by d38
    Well anyone who read my thread about 2 weeks ago knew I was not wanting to go on my vacation that I had been soooo looking forward to and needing. Well the entire time I was there except for 2 days I was sick. I had the WORST hormonal flucuations and am not sure if they were hot flashes but would get really nausated mainly at night and just had to lie in bed. I stopped my Yasmin for 2 days and called my Dr. This morning just a crying, she told me to not stop the BCP and gave me a script for Prozac 20mg once a day. I am so hoping it will help with the moodswings and crying, I still cant even have a conversation without shedding tears and it drives me NUTS!! Is anyone else on Prozac and has it seemed to help your symptoms ect?? I would LOVE any feedback .
    I just sometimes feel so alone because none of my friends my age (38) have or understand what I am going through. My DH is being so understanding and cooked and helped all weekend, he is coming around understanding this Peri stuff but it is killing me!!

D, I don't know how long you have been on Yasmin, but I had to try 3 different type of bcp before I found the "almost" right one for all my peri. symptoms. Notice I said almost because I'm still dealing with several symptoms.

I understand about those rapid mood swings, weepy feeling, and irrational crying. My mind would say stop crying, and this is ridiculous, but my hormones seem to have control of all my emotions. I'd feel just ill to the pit of my stomach.

Have you tried other brands of bcp? Also, I had to try a higher dosage bcp because those low dose bcp just weren't helping.

Last edited by Hopefully; 05-23-2005 at 07:28 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:19 AM   #4
    d38
    (female)

d38 HB User

Iv'e been on the Yasmin for 5 months. And before that I was on Loestrin for 1 month but had 5 periods. My periods were regular like clockwork everymonth but she put me on the BCP for the estrogen and trying to regulate the ups and downs I guess. I took my 1st. prozac today and praying that I do not get nausea ect. I don't have a clue about the antidepressants. She has me on the prozac for 1 month and then I go in for a ckup! I just hope it works!!

Old 05-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #5
    jacqbu
    Veteran
    (female)

jacqbu HB User

Let me know if you have any side effects.

Old 05-26-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
    Tzu
    (female)

Tzu HB User

I don't know if prozac has changed at all ... but a number of years ago when I used it for bad PMT ... initially it gave one hell of a headache for a few days (and is known for that) ... then all settles ... then after about a year I put on a little too much weight (initially it may make u lose a little) .. once I came off it ... the weight fell away and back came the moods ... also one of the reasons I came off it was because the headaces came back with it after about a year ... these days I am on Cipralex and it's marvelous ... stops depression 100% ... I'm always in a fantastic mood ... no side effects at all barring a little weight gain after several months. If that continues ... I will come off it for a while till my weight stabalises ... don't forget when coming off these drugs .. to do it slowly

Old 05-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
    JBP
    (female)

JBP HB User

Hey TZU,

I am in Antidepressant hell right now. Tell me more about Ciprolex....I've tried a bunch and can't tolerate them, but I am in a severe depression and need help. How long did it take to work? And you had No side effects. how much do you take... I'd appreciate any info.

Hurting,
    JBP

Old 05-28-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

TZU is Cipralex another name for Lexapro?

JBP have you tried Cymbalta (sp.)? I've not tried Cymbalta, but I know someone who is doing well with this antid. Of course, once again I must say that antid. might require trial and error. Although my SIL seems to do well on everyone that she's tried. I hope that you find the right type soon.

Closed Thread