It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Bloodpressure and peri/menopause...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2005, 07:26 PM   #1
calgarygirl
(female)

calgarygirl HB User
Bloodpressure and peri/menopause...

Do most women suffer from high blood pressure when perimenopause/menopause starts or is that a side effect from the prescriptions that are taken to help relieve some of the symptoms? It seems that there are quite a few ladies out there that do have a change in their bp when they start perimenopause. Has anyone seen their blood pressure remain the same or drop at all? My blood pressure is somewhat normal now but there are many of my family members who suffer high bp and take daily meds to control the high bp. I'm just wondering if I should expect to see my bp go up especially with a family history.
Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
molly123
Senior Veteran
(female)

molly123 HB User
Re: Bloodpressure and peri/menopause...

My BP was higher than normal when I was going thru my worse with peri. It was during when I was have heart palps too. My dr. didn't seem overly concerned even. The only med I was taking at that time was for my thyroid which I have been on for years. My BP did get back to normal, even when I was put on Paxil cr later. I noticed that once I myself into an exercise regrime, my BP has been better even.

You might not suffer from high BP like your family members esp. if you do the best you can to prevent it (eating healthy, exercising, don't get overweight, etc.).

molly

Old 05-29-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
redherring

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygirl
Do most women suffer from high blood pressure when perimenopause/menopause starts or is that a side effect from the prescriptions that are taken to help relieve some of the symptoms? It seems that there are quite a few ladies out there that do have a change in their bp when they start perimenopause. Has anyone seen their blood pressure remain the same or drop at all? My blood pressure is somewhat normal now but there are many of my family members who suffer high bp and take daily meds to control the high bp. I'm just wondering if I should expect to see my bp go up especially with a family history.
Thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Chris
My blood pressure went up last year at the same time my peri-meno symptoms went into overdrive. I was always on the low/normal side before that time. It's my understanding that a lot of women will have an increase in blood pressure as they transition into menopause.

I monitor my BP quite closely and track everything. I'm also losing weight in hopes that my BP could come down a bit.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:57 AM   #4
southjerseymom
(female)

southjerseymom HB User

I have noticed my bp has gone up. It's on the high end of normal (120/80). High blood pressure also runs in my family. For the most part my family members are of normal weight and most exercise. They are on medication. I suspect that eventually I'll have to be on bp med too. I exercise, eat healthy, and am not overweight ( despite some peri weight gain!). You might want to check with your doctor about the chances of your bp going up and treatment. I think it's inevitable since there's a family history. Great, huh?

Old 05-31-2005, 11:13 AM   #5
rander5
(female)

rander5 HB User

I am so glad I found this thread - I was wondering about this!! My bp has recently been noted to be higher and I have been monitoring at home - most days are ok, however I have noticed that a week or so before my period - my anxiety starts going up - which then guess what I check my bp and it is up. It is completely freaking me out - of course the doc wants me on meds, but I really don't want to. I think it is more about anxiety - how do you know you are in periomenopause.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:29 PM   #6
babydog

babydog HB User

Hello Ladies,

I am in the same boat it seems with you all. My bp has always been fine. Up until March it was always about 115/75. Then in April it seemed to climb to the "borderline" point as my doctor puts it. It averages around 132/84 now. Since then my peri meno symptoms became very problematic. I had a short cycle of 18 days last month and my bp has been all over the place! But I have a lot of anxiety symptoms too and my doc is hesitant to put me on meds yet because it seemed to just come out of nowhere along with panic attacks.

She told me to come back in a couple of months when I calm down and check it again and to not check it at home because I freak out when I see the numbers are high which makes the bp worse.

High bp runs in my family too. I like you am wondering if this is just inevitable.

Hope we can all keep in touch here and be supportive of one another. This message board has been a god send for me.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
rander5
(female)

rander5 HB User

Well I have made the mistake of taking it at home and unfortunately now I have become obsessed with it. Most days it is pretty good, but then I see a bad number and there goes the anxiety. It's horrible. I really do believe that it has something to do with hormone changes - how do you know that though. I am 39 and probably a bit underweight - so I don't think that is having anything to do with it. I also have 3 kids and I'm sure that has something to do with it, but it is really making me crazy. I have just started taking some prozac in hopes that will get my anxiety in check. Only been on it 2 days so I will let you know.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:58 PM   #8
rander5
(female)

rander5 HB User

Well I have made the mistake of taking it at home and unfortunately now I have become obsessed with it. Most days it is pretty good, but then I see a bad number and there goes the anxiety. It's horrible. I really do believe that it has something to do with hormone changes - how do you know that though. I am 39 and probably a bit underweight - so I don't think that is having anything to do with it. I also have 3 kids and I'm sure that has something to do with it, but it is really making me crazy. I have just started taking some prozac in hopes that will get my anxiety in check. Only been on it 2 days so I will let you know.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:05 PM   #9
redherring

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydog
Hello Ladies,

I am in the same boat it seems with you all. My bp has always been fine. Up until March it was always about 115/75. Then in April it seemed to climb to the "borderline" point as my doctor puts it. It averages around 132/84 now. Since then my peri meno symptoms became very problematic. I had a short cycle of 18 days last month and my bp has been all over the place! But I have a lot of anxiety symptoms too and my doc is hesitant to put me on meds yet because it seemed to just come out of nowhere along with panic attacks.

She told me to come back in a couple of months when I calm down and check it again and to not check it at home because I freak out when I see the numbers are high which makes the bp worse.

High bp runs in my family too. I like you am wondering if this is just inevitable.

Hope we can all keep in touch here and be supportive of one another. This message board has been a god send for me.

My anxiety went through the roof along with peri symptoms. I feel like I'm in a constant state of anxiety and hyper-vigilence. I think this constant state of heightened anxiety drove up my BP. In addition to my former primary care doctor who decided I had HPB (140/90) and was going to stick me on meds!! Ever since then, I've been a basket case over my blood pressure which resulted in white coat hypertension every time I see a doctor or a nurse.

HPB does not run in my family, by the way.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:31 PM   #10
rander5
(female)

rander5 HB User

Red - did you take any of the bp meds. I am definitely wanting to try everything else first.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
redherring

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander5
Red - did you take any of the bp meds. I am definitely wanting to try everything else first.
No BP meds yet. The BP meds have horrible side effects. I need to lose 25 lbs, so I trying that first with the South Beach Diet. My BP numbers at home are looking great -->109/78 yesterday! However, my BP was 152/96 at my new primary care doctor's office on Friday I should him my chart (I've been monitoring my BP everyday for the last 2 months) and he said I clearly have white coat syndrome. BTW - I calibrated my home monitor against my doctor and mine is very accurate.

Old 05-31-2005, 02:48 PM   #12
babydog

babydog HB User

Quote:
Wow! this is exactly what happened to me in the last 2 months. I think I have developed white coat hypertension at home! But I know when the numbers are going to be bad because my heart is pounding as the cuff is tightening up. Sometimes my pulse registers 100 Then after a few tries and I really try to relax, the numbers go down again. This is why the doc seems to think that it is anxiety related. Even the instructions on my blood pressure machine say that numbers can be falsely elevated due to anxiety and tension and that it is important to know your RELAXED blood pressure. BP readings taken in the throws of a panic attack don't count! GP suggested I see a psychologist so I am. My psychologist is my age and does not rule out peri as the cause of all this. But she feels peri is the cause of the anxiety and the anxiety is the cause of the high bp readings. She feels there is hope. I have not checked my bp for the last 3 weeks which is helping me a great deal with my anxiety symptoms so I am hoping that if I can just get the panic under control that the bp will resolve itself. I take benadryl at night as needed to help me sleep. All this started in February when I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my hands which my mother has. She also has high bp so I have been worrying about developing that as well. It's posssible I may have worried myself right into it. Now I have to try and see if I can unworry myself out OR if I really am developing high blood pressure.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #13
redherring

redherring HB User

Babydog, I'm sorry about your hand. I hope it gets better for you.

You're right, never take your BP during a panic attack! I had a doozie of a panic attack one time and it was 172/112 with a pulse of 130! This was at a time when I had low BP, prior to hitting peri-meno. I can't even imagine what my BP would be like if I had a panic attack nowadays!

Old 05-31-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
rander5
(female)

rander5 HB User

Isn't that crazy - I know you are right - I need to stop taking it for awhile and just let myself calm down and try to get this under control. Because my numbers have normally been in the 116/78 area - and I actually took my machine in to the doctors also to check against theirs. Of course, when I was in there I was so stressed that I almost blew up both arm cuffs - when I got home - it went down to about 132/85 - What did the psychiatrist say you should be doing for the peri - did she prescribe meds??

Old 05-31-2005, 05:48 PM   #15
babydog

babydog HB User

Quote:
Isn't that crazy - I know you are right - I need to stop taking it for awhile and just let myself calm down and try to get this under control. Because my numbers have normally been in the 116/78 area - and I actually took my machine in to the doctors also to check against theirs. Of course, when I was in there I was so stressed that I almost blew up both arm cuffs - when I got home - it went down to about 132/85 - What did the psychiatrist say you should be doing for the peri - did she prescribe meds??
The psychologist asked me to ask my GP for xanax. GP would not prescribe it. She was concerned about possible addiction. So GP gave me Elavil 25mg instead. This is one of the older antidepressants. I don't take it everyday, just when I feel I need it. Taken occasionally it just acts as a strong tranquilizer. It really makes me drowsy. As for peri itself, nothing specific. I'm watching my diet and taking supplements like lecithin and calcium/magnesium. Calcium/magnesium is great for anxiety especially if you have heart palps. I noticed that since I started on that the fast heart beat is going away. Yeah, the same thing happened to me when I went to GP to measure my bp. I had a dry mouth, sweaty palms and a racing heart. So I measured in the 130/80's to 140/90's region. Your numbers seem to be similar to what I was seeing at home. You might want to give that bp machine and your nerves a break for a while. Both my GP and psychologist have asked me to refrain from measuring bp for a couple of months. Once I get to the point where I feel normal again and not walking around with butterflies in my stomach all the time, I'll go back to the GP and let her measure it. Gosh, what a thing to develop a phobia about.

Closed Thread