It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

Experiences with lexapro

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
babydog

babydog HB User
Experiences with lexapro

Hello,

I am almost 50 and having problems with anxiety in connection with menopause. My therapist has suggested I contact my doctor and take an antidepressant called lexapro. She says this antidepressant seems to be good for women going thru peri or menopause.

Would like to know if anyone has or is taking lexapro and what your experiences with it have been.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 07:04 AM   #2
sunnydaze1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User
Re: Experiences with lexapro

I took it for awhile, but I didn't really notice a difference and eventually felt more nervous after being on it several months.

Now I just take Xanax when I absolutely have to; it seems to take the edge off of my anxiety.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #3
semmens
(female)

semmens HB User

I took it for 4 months and though it helped at first I felt like it didn't after awhile. I also gained a big chunk of weight and would fall asleep by 8:30 p.m.

Worst part: totally killed any desire and having an orgasm was almost impossible. Even if I had one it wasn't so great. Are you on any natural hormones or vitmains? Many times they will get rid of anxiety/depression without using an SSRI. I'm kinda ****** that my therapist never asked me about my cycles or diet before throwing Lexapro at me.

Laura

Old 06-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #4
redherring

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydog
Hello,

I am almost 50 and having problems with anxiety in connection with menopause. My therapist has suggested I contact my doctor and take an antidepressant called lexapro. She says this antidepressant seems to be good for women going thru peri or menopause.

Would like to know if anyone has or is taking lexapro and what your experiences with it have been.

Thanks!

Lexapro made my anxiety worse ten fold during the first two weeks of taking it. I tried it last year when my peri symptoms kicked into overdrive. I was CHEWING xanax every couple of hours to stave off the anxiety. I dubbed Lexapro as pharmaceutical crack. I stopped after 16 days. The side effects were simply intolerable. Having said that, many people love lexapro and swear by it. This goes to show you that everyone is different. Try it and if it doesn't work, there are plenty of other meds out there to switch to.

Old 06-13-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
babydog

babydog HB User

Hello Sunnydaze1, semmens and redherring,

I want to thank all 3 of you for responding to your experiences. Semmens I think your experience is enough for me to say "no thankyou" to Lexapro. I once tried Prozac and had the same symptom with orgasm. It was awful!!! I have never had trouble with that and found it extremely frustrating. It went away thank goodness after stopping it.

ight now I am trying a very natural approach and I have hope that it is going to work, but it sure is a lot more work than just taking a pill. Rather than take something on a continuous basis I would rather take something as needed like xanax but my doctor won't prescribe it saying it can be addictive. She did prescribe 25mg of an antidepressant - Elavil. This stuff works but it makes you fat! So I only pop one when I need it. It is very sedating when used this way.

My symptoms are mostly anxiety related; insomnia, feeling of dread, heart palps, etc. So I am taking 50mg of benadryl at night. An hour before I do some deep breathing, play a relaxation tape or read a book on how to manage anxiety. Got 7 hours of sleep last night so I am hoping if I try this approach that maybe I can get away without taking any medication at all.

Thanks again all of you for your feedback!

Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
littlejmb
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Babydog, just thought I would put my two cents in. I started on Lexapro 10mg back in March. I am 51 and going thru menopause too. I started having anxiety and depression so bad, I just couldn't take it any more. I went to my GYN and he suggested I try Lexapro. I was scared to take it, but scared not to! Within two days, I felt like a new person. I was no longer anxious or depressed. The starting up side affects were not bad for me like they were for some people. It feels good to be normal and happy again. I tried everything natural first - but it just didn't help.

I did have problems with orgasm, but I started taking Ginkgo Biloba, and that has helped with that. I have gained a few lbs too - but I am really going to be conscious about not eating as much. I tried going down to 5mg, but started feeling bad again, so I had to go back up to 10. It has worked really well for me.

Closed Thread