It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• pmdd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User
    pmdd

Can anyone give me any advice on a med for pmdd? I can't take zoloft and of course, I would prefer to be on anything that does not cause weight gain. I also have an anxiety issue, but really want to treat the pmdd symtoms right now. (irritability, mood swings, etc.) Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User
    Re: pmdd

Paxil CR treats PMDD also but, at this time, it's unavailable and drs. are prescribing the generic Paxil instead which I don't know if it treats PMDD, (I assume would be the same). Check with your dr.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #3
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Thanks, molly123. Isn't paxil bad about weight gain?

Old 06-21-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by americandancer
    Can anyone give me any advice on a med for pmdd? I can't take zoloft and of course, I would prefer to be on anything that does not cause weight gain. I also have an anxiety issue, but really want to treat the pmdd symtoms right now. (irritability, mood swings, etc.) Thanks!
    I don't know of any antidepressants that does not cause some weight gain. They are almost like bcp in that they can cause weight gain in some individuals, not everyone. The brief time that I was on Paxil I did not gain weight, but Lexapro caused me to crave carbs. Presently, I'm taking Wellbutrin XL and it's suppose to help with weightloss, in some individuals. I haven't lost a pound, but I am only taking 150mg and not the 300mg.

You might want to do a search on the 'net for antidepressants recommended for PMDD. When my dr. diagnosed me with PMDD (many years ago although I think it was just the early onset of perimenopause) she prescribed Prozac. It's not called Prozac (although it's by the same company and it's the same ingredient), I can not remember the new name, but it's the one that you take the week before and during your period and then you can stop until next month.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:36 PM   #5
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I think that's called sarafem. I asked my dr. about it and he said it might make me too jittery. He's prescribed me effexor, but I'm too worried about all the withdrawal effects. I have some lexapro from awhile back and also some wellbutrin xl that my gyn prescribed, but my gp says that might make me too anxious, also.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Americandancer, I remember when I first joined these boards, you were taking Lexapro, and I had been on it for about a month. You started the thread that we kept going for quite a while, about Lexapro makes me so tired or something like that. I guess you stopped taking it, right? I was thinking that it was working for you, but maybe not. I am still on it and doing great. I went thru a two-week period where I was really hungry, but that has leveled off now (thank goodness)! I would be afraid of trying Paxil, it has worse side affects than the Lexapro from what I've heard.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    I think that's called sarafem. I asked my dr. about it and he said it might make me too jittery. He's prescribed me effexor, but I'm too worried about all the withdrawal effects. I have some lexapro from awhile back and also some wellbutrin xl that my gyn prescribed, but my gp says that might make me too anxious, also.
    Thanks for refreshing my memory...it is called Sarafem. I just could not remember that name.

Effexor is a very good antidepressant, but it does require a very slow weaning. I know people who have weaned themselves from Effexor so it is possible. The key is to do is slowly, which is also the key with just about any antidepressant. Prozac was the only antidepressant that I stopped and I did not have any withdrawal effect. I've heard that because of the long half life of Prozac it's good to use to wean from Paxil. Unfortunately, I did not know this when I was misinformed to suddenly stop taking Paxil.

May I ask why you can not take Zoloft? I also can not tolerate Zoloft because it cause an adverse reaction. In other words it made my anxiety and depression worst. It just amazes me how we all react differently to medications. My SIL took Zoloft and it made her feel wonderful and she lost about 40 pounds. After weaning she regained the weight, which she lost again when she started taking Lexapro. Now that I think about it I also lost a lot of weight on Zoloft, but I believe it was because of the anxiety and depression that the Zoloft made worst.

I truly wish you the best in quickly finding the right medication, because it is a matter of trial and error.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:55 PM   #8
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Hopefully, I have tried zoloft and it made me way to jittery. But....my dr. did start me at 150mg and maybe that was just too high.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:38 AM   #9
    Ga Lady
    (female)

Ga Lady HB User

I took zoloft in a tiny tiny dose. 12.5 mg with a small dose of xanax. I didn't experience any 'physical' side effects at all and had the best non anxious year of my life.....BUT my problem was that zoloft made me NOT care AT ALL. I didn't or couldn't even cry at the 'normal' stuff. If someone had told me the world was on fire I would of pulled up a chair and a glass of tea and watched it burn. My husband told my dr. I wasn't the 'wife' he had married so it was a touchy thing with the privacy act but I even knew something wasn't right. so I told my dr and he kind of say 'Whew!' cause he didn't know how to go about it without breaking his oath between two patients being husband and wife. He is now into research on zoloft for women due to the fact thathe had 5 women who ALL developed different characteristics with the drug. One left her family after numerous years...The other took up gambling...the other started shoplifting (she had money to buy) and then me. It took me over a year to get my emotions back to normal. I still take the xanax because that has been the only drug that helped my panic attacks and seems to help my pmdd (kind of) I am having other issues too with everything being out of balance right now. Just be careful with those anti's that stimulate...Dont take Prozac or Wellbutrin those wil make you edgier than you already are. Hope yu can find something to help you...and When you do ...Please post it. I would love to be 'Me' again!

Old 06-22-2005, 08:23 AM   #10
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hopefully
    I don't know of any antidepressants that does not cause some weight gain. They are almost like bcp in that they can cause weight gain in some individuals, not everyone. The brief time that I was on Paxil I did not gain weight, but Lexapro caused me to crave carbs. Presently, I'm taking Wellbutrin XL and it's suppose to help with weightloss, in some individuals. I haven't lost a pound, but I am only taking 150mg and not the 300mg.

You might want to do a search on the 'net for antidepressants recommended for PMDD. When my dr. diagnosed me with PMDD (many years ago although I think it was just the early onset of perimenopause) she prescribed Prozac. It's not called Prozac (although it's by the same company and it's the same ingredient), I can not remember the new name, but it's the one that you take the week before and during your period and then you can stop until next month.
    It's called Serafim. Prozac I know is good for PMDD. But Prozac's side effects can cause you to be a bit on the hyper side, it's all trial and error. Keep trying other things. Have you had your thyroid checked. Thyroid seems to be the culprit these days.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #11
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

I have my thyroid checked yearly. My dr. said it would be so much easier if we could just find something wrong with it! But, it seems just plain old anxiety, stress and a severe case of pmdd. The lexapro was working, but I was so tired on it. I don't believe it helped the pmdd, but did help the anxiety/panic issue. I might have to go back on it again! But, I do like my energy too. I wasn't on it long enough to tell about the pmdd, though. All my friends each found their answer with different ad's, and they fuss at me for not giving meds long enough. I would like the wellbutrin to work because of the weight gain part, but I don't think it will be good for my panic and irritability.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #12
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    I have my thyroid checked yearly. My dr. said it would be so much easier if we could just find something wrong with it! But, it seems just plain old anxiety, stress and a severe case of pmdd. The lexapro was working, but I was so tired on it. I don't believe it helped the pmdd, but did help the anxiety/panic issue. I might have to go back on it again! But, I do like my energy too. I wasn't on it long enough to tell about the pmdd, though. All my friends each found their answer with different ad's, and they fuss at me for not giving meds long enough. I would like the wellbutrin to work because of the weight gain part, but I don't think it will be good for my panic and irritability.
    i hear you about the weight again. I want to quit Prozac for that reason but you are also right on how it helps with anxiety, etc. I guess something is better than nothing.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:30 PM   #13
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:

Talk with your doctor, but I know people who take Wellbutrin along with a SSRI antidepressant. Wellbutrin is also suppose to help with low/no libido. My dr. prescribed Wellbutrin to help with my very low energy level, no libido, weight gain and over all wellbeing due to perimenopause. It has helped my libido and energy level. No weightloss, but with the recent discovery that my thyroid is enlarged I'm thinking that's part of my problem.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:31 PM   #14
    americandancer
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

americandancer HB User

Hopefully, are you on wellbutrin only? The xl version? I agree with ainfante that I just need something to help....I can handle trying to counteract the weight gain with exercise, as long as I can muster up the energy lol. I agree that something is better than nothing. If I have to decide between biting my family's heads off or taking somthing that can help that, but might make me gain a little weight, I'll have to take the weight gain....as long as it's little, mind you! Here's what I have in my cabinet...effexor samples and a full bottle of 150mg., lexapro 20mg, wellbutrin xl from last year 300mg, zoloft 150mg, and I think that might be all! What should I do? I would like to pick one and give it at least 4 weeks.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Hopefully, are you on wellbutrin only? The xl version? I agree with ainfante that I just need something to help....I can handle trying to counteract the weight gain with exercise, as long as I can muster up the energy lol. I agree that something is better than nothing. If I have to decide between biting my family's heads off or taking somthing that can help that, but might make me gain a little weight, I'll have to take the weight gain....as long as it's little, mind you! Here's what I have in my cabinet...effexor samples and a full bottle of 150mg., lexapro 20mg, wellbutrin xl from last year 300mg, zoloft 150mg, and I think that might be all! What should I do? I would like to pick one and give it at least 4 weeks.
    l

American, Wellbutrin XL 150mg. is the only antidepressant that I can tolerate, an I've tried a few.

I must say that it wasn't the antidepressant that made the biggest change in my road back to feeling somewhat "normal", but the use of bcp. Wellbutrin gave me more energy which I was truly lacking.

When I use to hear people talk about chronic fatigue I had no idea just how drained and run down I could feel. My fatigue was so bad that when I was able to get my butt off the sofa I felt as if I had to concentrating on putting one foot infront of the other in order to walk. Imagine dealing with this fatigue and teaching prekindergarten students!!!!!!! It was the grace of God that sustained me, because looking back I'm amazed that I was able to make it through the school year.

OKay, I'm detoured from the original topic , let me get back on track.

Have you tried any or all of those antid. that you have in your cabinet? I would first talk with a pharmacist before taking anything that is a year old. I know that this is such a difficult decision to make, but as I mentioned before this antidepressant experience is all a matter of trial and error.

I'm not one to insist that anyone take or not try a particular brand based solely upon my own experience. We are all so unique and one woman's happy pill is anothers poison. My sister is taking Effexor and doing well, unfortunately Effexor did nothing for my symptoms (although I only took one pill and since it made me feel "weird" I didn't take anymore).

What does your dr. suggest?

Closed Thread