It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• This Fatigue!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
    tape7

tape7 HB User
    This Fatigue!!!!!

Does anyone know what to do for the horrible fatigue that goes along with peri? I take a vitamin a day, but I am still soooo tired and sleepy most of the time. I get up in the morning and am fine for about an hour, and then I just get so drowsy and have to go back to sleep. I'll sleep for a couple of hours, then be fine for a little while and I'm exhausted again. I did this way for a long time before I got on hrt, then was fine for the last three years taking the hormone, and now the drowsiness is coming back even though I still take hrt.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
    Sissypie
    Veteran
    (female)

Sissypie HB User
    Re: This Fatigue!!!!!

How are you sleeping at night? Do you sleep through the night, or do you wake up off and on?

I'm having a terrible time with insomnia right now. I'm tired constantly, but I don't get more than a couple hours of total sleep at night anymore.

It's interesting that the HRT seemed to help you initially, but no longer does. Since there are other things that can also cause fatigue, it could be possible that menopause might not be the culprit this time. Just a thought.

In any case, I hope you can find a solution soon. Being tired for long periods of time is awful.

Best wishes,
    Sandi

Old 07-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #3
    tape7

tape7 HB User

Thanks Sissypie: I do sleep through the night except for when an arthritic hip wakes me up. I kind of thought it might be something else besides peri making me tired, but I just went to my doctor complaining and he never bothers to run any tests or anything. I think I am going to change doctors. Hope you can find some help for your insomnia.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Tape, I went through that crashing fatigue until I went on bcp. My energy level improved for awhile then I began feeling fatigued all over again. So my ob/gyn prescribed Wellbutrin XL. Now I'm not advocating antidepressants as a cure all, but that is what worked for me. I must say that I'm also taking a lot of vitamins (primrose oil, omega 3-6-9, lecithin, flaxseed oil, multivitamin, calcium, magnesium, and garlic).

Old 07-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #5
    tape7

tape7 HB User

Thanks Hopefully: I take the calcium and the magnesium, but do you know if the welbutrin can be taken if you have high blood pressure? I think I saw an advertisement for it and it seems like I remember when they listed all the side effects, one was that it could raise blood pressure.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:40 PM   #6
    Goldengirl1

Goldengirl1 HB User

I can sympathize with how you are feeling. For several years I suffered from debilating fatigue. I went to several Doctors and because they could not find anything from a test, I was brushed off. I was told I needed to exercise and was told I was depressed. Even though I knew I wasn't depressed I took Paxil for several months only to realize one day I was taking it and was still fatigued.

The Doctors all made me feel like it was in my head. My fatigue was so bad I could never make plans because I never knew how I would feel. In reading this board, it seems like several women have suffered from the fatigue and could be one of the symptoms of perimenopause.

I wish you luck in finding something that will work for you. I would have tried anything. Mine eventually went away....I just hope it doesn't come back.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:20 PM   #7
    tape7

tape7 HB User

Hi GoldenGirl1: I know what you mean about not being able to make plans. I can't even keep my eyes open sometimes and I also look really awful when these sleepy spells come over me. I look much older than my 48 years when I'm tired. It is hard to find a good doctor that is willing to really try hard to find out what is wrong with you. They all want to insinuate there is something psycologically wrong with you. Well, maybe mine will just go away like yours did. I sure hope so.

Old 07-03-2005, 02:36 PM   #8
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tape7
    Thanks Hopefully: I take the calcium and the magnesium, but do you know if the welbutrin can be taken if you have high blood pressure? I think I saw an advertisement for it and it seems like I remember when they listed all the side effects, one was that it could raise blood pressure.
    Yes, Wellbutrin and several other antidepressants can raise your blood pressure. My blood pressure has always been low until my perimenopausal symptoms became severe. I was on blood pressure medication until my recent allergic reaction, but that's another story. I was taking Wellbutrin XL 150mg. along with a bp med. and bcp. It just a matter of monitoring your pressure, have a close relationship with your doctor, and don't hesitate to communicate your concerns. You know your body and you know when things just don't feel right. As you can tell I believe that everyone should be a proactive participant concerning their healthcare. We can not put our health in the hands of a doctor believing that they all have our best interest at heart. Okay, let me get off this soapbox .

Wellbutrin is a good medication only if it works for you.

Old 07-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
    Goldengirl1

Goldengirl1 HB User

Tape-your fatigue sounds different than mine because I was never that "sleepy" mine was just total exhaustion all the time. It is possible that you are not sleeping very well at night.

I hope that you will be able to find the problem and find something that will help. When I was going through my experience, I felt so alone. I would actually feel ashamed after I would leave the Doctors office because of the way I was treated. I had NO support from family and friends, I was told I was lazy and to just get over it. I knew there was something wrong, but I realized no one understood so I just wouldn't say anything. I still don't know what brought it on or what caused it to go away, I am just grateful that I have a life back!!

Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 AM   #10
    Alabasterlyn
    (female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

I also feel really tired for much of the day. I finally went to the doctor and he ran some blood tests, iron levels, diabetes, thyroid, kidney function and liver function. All came back normal.

I already take anti depressants so I can't ask to go on them. However I am really fed up of feeling so tired. I get up to see my husband off to work at about 7am and then I potter around for an hour or so, then go back to bed. I don't sleep when I go back to bed, just try to relax a bit.

In the afternoons after I've had my lunch I get even more tired and usually end up dropping off, but never for long.

I am too tired in the evenings to bother going out and I wonder when this feeling tired will ever go away. I haven't had a period for 2 1/2 yrs now, so am definately post menopausal now I guess.

My sleep patterns at night are all over the place. Takes me ages to get to sleep, I wake up a couple of times with hot flushes, then wake up about 5am when it's getting light. I even bought a blackout blind to see if that would help me sleep later in the mornings, but it doesn't.

Last edited by Alabasterlyn; 11-26-2006 at 09:00 AM.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
    armadillo pie
    Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I too have had that tired/fatigue thing going on for a while. I had blood tests done and my HMO Dr. said everything was in the normal range. But I did not believe him because the fatigue was too severe.

I started going to an acupunturist and she was giving me herbs and treatments and it helps alot, but there are still days I am so exhausted for no reason I can think of.

So I took it a step further. I went to a new Dr. who is like Andrew Weil. She believes in both regular and alternative medicine and has an excellant reputation. She not only asked for my previous blood tests ( taken last September) but ordered new ones including a thyroid panel ( which I had done last time too).

The results came back and she told me my thyroid was border line and feels that maybe a big part of the my tireness. She saw this on the other test ( which my HMO Dr. said was normal) and she wanted to recheck it. What I found interesting was how she read the tests, not like your typical Dr. So she gave me Iodine tablets to take and my energy is coming back. It is natural and over the counter. Do a web search on this. I take 2 a day.
    She explained that during peri and menopause the inter-relationship between our hormones and thyroid is connected. My progsterone and testosterone was very low too and the other Dr. said I was in the normal range , as was my DHEA levels.

If you can afford to find a Dr. who is more alternative I suggest going to him'her. LIke the Dr/s in Suzanne Sommer's book. It is worth the $.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #12
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Tape,
    I am in post-meno now but when I was going thru bad peri symptoms, I had what I call debilitating fatigue. It is different from what you have I think - similar to GoldenGirl's. With me, the fatigue wasn't from lack of sleep either. It was different. I didn't feel sleepy - just felt really really tired all the time! I would go to bed real tired, wake up real tired. It would take me 4 hrs to get moving. Couldn't nap during the day. Would have to lay down almost every 15 mins after doing nothing even. I didn't feel like doing any of the housework, couldn't focus on anything either. I found out later that Chronic Fatigue Syndome is another condition that women get during menopause. I didn't start feeling better till I was put on an AD (Paxil CR).

You mentioned your arthritic hip wakes you. I found taking Tylendol PM helps me when I can't sleep because of my achy back/hips. I take only 1/2 a pill even tho it suggests 2 pills. It knocks me out and I don't feel dopey in the morning. I also take 500mg of Magnesium at bedtime.

molly

Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
    JBP
    (female)

JBP HB User

Molly,

I am suffering from the type of terrible fatigue that you describe. I've been to a CFS expert who wants me to try Provigil. I am also on AD's , but I think they make me sleepy...I take them at night. Has anyone taken Provigil? I also have anxiety from all this health stuff... What a mess. I would love it if something on my blood test would help make sense of this.
    JBP

Old 07-08-2005, 10:27 AM   #14
    Alabasterlyn
    (female)

Alabasterlyn HB User

I suffered badly with anxiety before I went into the menopause.

I think it's important for us to realise that anxiety itself produces very extreme fatigue for a lot of sufferers, add the menopause to that and you've got one very exhausted person.

Drs here in the UK don't seem to offer any help for the menopause, you are more less just told to get on with it.

Last edited by Alabasterlyn; 11-26-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:00 AM   #15
    molly123
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

molly123 HB User

Hi Lyn,
    I too suffered from anxiety before menopause! In my younger years, any type of change, incl. traveling to a different place would set off anxiety - of course, a tragic event, a death, etc. would also. I was was told I had anticipatory anxiety! Those times, I knew what caused the anxiety and within a week or two, I would be fine. But, the year I turned 50, the anxiety was different. It lasted a long time and there were no unresolved issues or baggage that caused it to come about in the first place. I would get anxiety just out of the blue while standing in line to pay for groceries - I remember I started feeling dizzy, hot, and freaking out and just wanted to get out! I really struggled to stick it out and waited! I remember the minute I got in the car, I just broke down and cried because it was so bad. Then I had to rush home because I didn't want to be out anymore.

I agree, anxiety is very exhausting and I always lose a lot of weight from it. I was even worried about the weight loss because I would lose a lot in a very short time. I looked drawn and grey in the face, death in the eyes! The chronic fatigue I had during peri was also different - it was debilitating! I barely had the energy to walk, which is most unusual for me! I really don't know how I survived it even! Perhaps, that's why I stay on these boards to let you ladies know that it does go away and things do get back to being normal!

Many drs. in the US also don't offer much help w/ menopause. I think most if them are clueless. I think we should all write a book!

molly

Closed Thread