It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Low dosage Valium during perimenopause

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-14-2005, 05:35 AM   #1
    viktik
    Veteran
    (female)

viktik HB User
    Low dosage Valium during perimenopause

Hi gals,

I have asked my doctor if I could try a low dosage Valium for the frequent anxiety that comes during perimenopause. I will find out today. Has anyone else taken this, and has it helped?

Appreciate any insight you may have!

viktik

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 06:10 AM   #2
    redherring

redherring HB User
    Re: Low dosage Valium during perimenopause

Quote:
    Originally Posted by viktik
    Hi gals,

I have asked my doctor if I could try a low dosage Valium for the frequent anxiety that comes during perimenopause. I will find out today. Has anyone else taken this, and has it helped?

Appreciate any insight you may have!

viktik
    I take xanax as needed. I try and manage my anxiety through CBT techniques and will take the xanax as a last resort. One has to be careful with benzo's, since dependency can happen which can result in anxiety worsening between doses.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Viktik, I take ativan as needed for the anxiety/sleep problems. I Try to stay away from it, too, and only use as last resort, like RedHerring said. The more often you take benzos, the more you need to get any effect. Also,I found if i take them too often, it causes depression. It helps when the anxiety is really bad, but try other means to ease the anxiety most of the time.
    Ask about other options too, when you see your doctor.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:45 PM   #4
    Hopefully
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hopefully HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HELLASRULES
    Hi Viktik, I take ativan as needed for the anxiety/sleep problems. I Try to stay away from it, too, and only use as last resort, like RedHerring said. The more often you take benzos, the more you need to get any effect. Also,I found if i take them too often, it causes depression. It helps when the anxiety is really bad, but try other means to ease the anxiety most of the time.
    Ask about other options too, when you see your doctor.
    I take Librax (antianxiety, antispasmodic medication) for irritable bowel syndrome and I also notice 3 years ago that if I take too many it causes depression. Since I wasn't familiar with this side effect I thought that I was the only one with this experience. It's good to read, although I wouldn't want anyone to deal with depression, that I'm not alone. I've been taking Librax on and off since 1995 without any other problems. I can take it for months and then stop cold turkey without any withdrawal affect.

Old 07-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I take xanax too. I reallyu try to stay away from it, everyone is right here, can become a dependancy. Happened to me in the past with ATivan

Old 07-15-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi,

I too take xanax as needed but do not take it often. I took it more so last year.

I have taken valium, a very low dosage when I was having a very hard time last year with peri symptoms. I had it for my back problems and I did take it a few times for anxiety and it did help. But the doctor suggested the xanax instead for peri anxiety as needed. I really think the valium helped more so than the xanax but I think it is very individual too.

I was first given xanax a few years back as I do not like to fly and it is often given for fearful flyers. So I was taking it twice a year when we flew. As I said I took it for a few months on and off last year for peri anxiety as it was prescribed for that and then did not take it again for peri anxiety till this year in March, but not a long duration. It is a very low dose. I had not taken it since probably March/April and when we just went to take a trip on this past Sun I took it to fly and I really did not think it helped me as much as it did in the past for that. I thought it odd as I had not taken it a lot before at all.

Anyway, hope you find something that works for you as I know firsthand the anxiety is the worst!!

Take care,

rmc

Old 07-16-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
    viktik
    Veteran
    (female)

viktik HB User

Hi RMC!

Well, my doctor doesn't want me to have Valium, he is not comfortable prescribing that for me, so he said I can try Ativan, which I will pick up this morning. Have you ever taken that? I just need something to calm down these "creepy, crawly bugs" inside my body and the other anxiety symptoms! Woe is me!

viktik

Old 07-16-2005, 07:03 AM   #8
    Barbz615
    (female)

Barbz615 HB User

I was having anxiety when I wake in the very early am hr. my docotor gave me xanax 0.25 mg 3 times a day. but It didn't help with the early am , take a xanax and just wait ..... and I was exhausted all day. I found myself taking 2 hr naps every afternoon.
    I'm now taking 0.50 mg clonopine (seizure / panic attack med) before bed, it's added an hr or so to my sleep, no trembling in the morning. Just this one pill has made such a huge difference. my entire day is more productive.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:07 PM   #9
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmc12
    Hi,

I too take xanax as needed but do not take it often. I took it more so last year.

I have taken valium, a very low dosage when I was having a very hard time last year with peri symptoms. I had it for my back problems and I did take it a few times for anxiety and it did help. But the doctor suggested the xanax instead for peri anxiety as needed. I really think the valium helped more so than the xanax but I think it is very individual too.

I was first given xanax a few years back as I do not like to fly and it is often given for fearful flyers. So I was taking it twice a year when we flew. As I said I took it for a few months on and off last year for peri anxiety as it was prescribed for that and then did not take it again for peri anxiety till this year in March, but not a long duration. It is a very low dose. I had not taken it since probably March/April and when we just went to take a trip on this past Sun I took it to fly and I really did not think it helped me as much as it did in the past for that. I thought it odd as I had not taken it a lot before at all.

Anyway, hope you find something that works for you as I know firsthand the anxiety is the worst!!

Take care,

rmc
    rmc, hi. does xanax really take the fear out of flying? I will be flying to Germany in 5 weeks and then Jordan, i am so scared of flying and will be by myself to meet friends there. Help!

Old 07-16-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by viktik
    Hi RMC!

Well, my doctor doesn't want me to have Valium, he is not comfortable prescribing that for me, so he said I can try Ativan, which I will pick up this morning. Have you ever taken that? I just need something to calm down these "creepy, crawly bugs" inside my body and the other anxiety symptoms! Woe is me!

viktik
    hi. i took ativan years ago. I wound becoming addicted to it coz they gave it to me for a very long time. Long story. So take it as needed start slowly.

Old 07-16-2005, 04:07 PM   #11
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi VikTik, I agree with Ainfante, ativan is addictive too. I only take it here & there, when I really can't tolerate the anxiety on my own. I took is consistently for about 3-4 weeks at night to sleep, and ending up becoming very depressed from it. A little bit goes a long way. It can make you feel great! But it can have adverse affects you don't want too.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:39 AM   #12
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Hi Viktik,

In answer to your question which I just saw..no I have never taken Ativan. So have no experience with that. I have as I said taken the xanax and did not take it with any regularity that made me feel dependent on it.

rmc

Old 07-17-2005, 07:43 AM   #13
    rmc12
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rmc12 HB User

Andrea,

Just am seeing your question to me about the xanax and flying. I would not say that it takes the fear out of flying as far as actually making me not fearful...but it does take the edge off and make me more relaxed so I am less likely to be anxious about every little bump,etc.

There are some good resources on the Internet for fear of flying and I looked into that too a few years ago and found that helpful.

I do take the xanax whenever we fly and I'd say it does help, if not as I said take the fear away. It just takes the anxiousness away.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

rmc

Old 07-17-2005, 10:48 AM   #14
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

[QUOTE=rmc12]Andrea,

Just am seeing your question to me about the xanax and flying. I would not say that it takes the fear out of flying as far as actually making me not fearful...but it does take the edge off and make me more relaxed so I am less likely to be anxious about every little bump,etc.

There are some good resources on the Internet for fear of flying and I looked into that too a few years ago and found that helpful.

I do take the xanax whenever we fly and I'd say it does help, if not as I said take the fear away. It just takes the anxiousness away.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

rmc[/

Thanks sweety. It helps alot.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
    viktik
    Veteran
    (female)

viktik HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmc12
    Hi Viktik,

In answer to your question which I just saw..no I have never taken Ativan. So have no experience with that. I have as I said taken the xanax and did not take it with any regularity that made me feel dependent on it.

rmc
    Hi RMC and all,

My doctor only gave me 10 Ativan (he's pretty strict and careful about quantity). I have been taking Restoril for about 9 months for sleep, but decided to take one of the Ativan before bed last night. He gave me just .5 mg, so it make me a little sleepy, but by midnight, I had to take a Restoril to get some sleep. SOOOO, don't think I will take the Ativan any more. My doctor will be glad!

viktik

Closed Thread