HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Menopause (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/)
-   -   increased symptoms help (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/305519-increased-symptoms-help.html)

chester4 07-18-2005 02:50 PM

increased symptoms help

Hi, I am new to this board but had posted on the anxiety board and bowel disorders. I had been very anxious about a medical procedure(colonoscopy) however I have been increasingly anxious about everything lately. For instance they called me back for an ultrasound as my mamogram showed a density and I was hysterical and in tears for two weeks! ( it turned out to be nothing) I am almost 53 and can't sleep, cry for nothing, perseverate on everything and at times wake up with sweats and panic attacks! My emotions are always right on my sleeve and I can't seem to control my feelings. I am tired at times and feel just BLAH! I have gained weight and feel just crapy about myself. My sex life has just faded away! Are these normal menopausal symptoms? I also an an adult child of an alcohlic which has me carrying an extra load! I had some hot flashes previously but not the emotional stuff. Any treatment? I plan to call my Dr. for an appointment but would like to be aware of some options. As for the colonoscopy I just can't deal with it now!

babydog 07-18-2005 04:44 PM

Re: increased symptoms help

Hello Chester4,

The same thing happened to me last year with my mamogram. They did 2 mamograms, then a sonogram, then told me to come back in 6 months because although they thought it was fine they wanted to make sure. I was a basketcase! Finally the day came and it was nothing, just like you. This is a time where we are going for so many tests like colonoscopies. It is so scary. I just came home from having a stress test done. I too have developed panic attacks and as a result my bp is high. Cardiologist told me to take Paxil, as ordered by my GP, and to come back and recheck the bp in 6 weeks. If the bp doesn't go down, then I will need bp meds too.

I am just like you, can't sleep, cry all the time and very nervous. I hope the paxil helps me. I am ready to try anything at this point.

I really think this is all hormonall related but I am too afraid to take hormones. After the scare with my mamogram forget about that!

I hope you feel better. I was hoping the panic attacks would go away of their own. If your do not go away you should really look into some sort of medication. Living like this is horrible!

Hang in there. Best wishes, Gail :angel:

molly123 07-18-2005 08:22 PM

Hi Chester4 and Babydog,

I went for a mammogram last year and was told I had calcifications on the right breast and to come back in 6 mos. Went back in 6 mos. and it didn't go away so they wanted to do a biopsy. These calcifications could be nothing or it could be very early stage of breast cancer! Now, talk about freaking out and thinking of the worst! Anyway, the biopsy was benign - thank goodness - but then they wanted me to have surgery to remove the califications and to make sure it was benign (again!!)! Apparently, it's a lump of tissue that they remove that contains these calcium deposits (powder like) so it's really not a lump that can be felt. Long story short, had that done and it wasn't bad at all - in fact, the first biopsy was much more uncomfortable. With the surgery, I was awake one minute and the next minute, I wake up and didn't feel a darn thing. In fact, I didn't even think I fell asleep! I was told that the colonscopy is similar. You are awake one minute and the next minute, it's over with. It is the prep for the colonscopy that is a pain. I haven't had one done yet but will be doing so some time this year. I know I should...

Now, I know I sound pretty mellow and casual about the whole thing but I really think that since I have been on Paxil for the last 1-1/2 years, things don't quite get me anxious and scared like they would've in the past. I used to get anxiety so easily that I think it wasn't normal! Ikeep talking about whatever be worrying me constantly, I'll be pacing, lose my appetite, etc. Even with the breast thing, I came to terms w/ it better than I would have - I knew that there really wasn't anything I could do about it if it was something bad! This would be the only reason why I kind of don't want to wean off Paxil yet because it has made a BIG difference with the anxiety.

So, Chester4, at 53, you are most definitely going thru peri-meno! Anxiety is very exhausting to the body so check with your dr. what choices you have. Get the "Before the Change" book and "The Pause" book - both I recommend highly because they are really easy to understand. Stick around these boards and you'll get help here too. Hang in there!

molly

chester4 07-19-2005 03:16 AM

Molly123 and Babydoll, guess you both know these feelings, sure can't tolerate much more! I am willing to take Paxil. Have you had any side effects from it? I am on BP meds antenolol 50mg and still the pressure is not perfect. Can't stand thid freaking out stuff and if someone looks at me the wrong way I cry! I will look for those books, do you know the authors. I take estroven which i think helps a little it is an over the counter all natural remedy, also I have tried to eat better more fruit veggies ,less soda coffee and sugar! Thanks for making me fell that I am not alone. I shared some of this with my husband last night. I decided that I am not stable enough to try thr colonoscopy now. I would just be a blubbering fool! Makes ones self esteem go futher in the toilet for sure! Ann

molly123 07-20-2005 11:07 AM

Hi ann,
THe only side effect I think I had when I went on Paxil CR was feeling tired. But, I was already experiencing a lot of peri symptoms including this debilitating fatigue. I did feel this "lift" almost immediately - don't know if it was the Paxil or some psyhcological thing. I would say in a week, I felt much much better. After a while, I stopped feeling tired. As much as I was leary about going on an AD, it was like the best thing that happened to me when I got on it. I was really bad off with the peri symptoms and trust me I did not want to live the rest of my life feeling the way I did! I actually cried from relief so this gives you an idea as to how bad it was getting for me.

As with the books, the "Before the Change" is by Anne Louise Gittleman, "The Pause" is by Lonnie Barbach. Now that I know how bad peri symptoms can be, I tell others to prepare themselves and get these books and start taking these peri-zappers (supplements).

I was scheduled for a colonoscopy when I was having my bad peri symptoms also but I ended up cancelling it because I knew it was something I just couldn't deal with it. Figure I will get it done later.

molly :wave:

chester4 07-20-2005 02:11 PM

Molly123, I am so grateful for your reply. I thought I was the only one! Thought I was going crazy. I will get the books this weekend. I should have gone through with the colonoscopy since I had some blood a couple months ago(do have hemmhoroids) but I just couldn't right now!

babydog 07-20-2005 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=chester4]Molly123, I am so grateful for your reply. I thought I was the only one! Thought I was going crazy. I will get the books this weekend. I should have gone through with the colonoscopy since I had some blood a couple months ago(do have hemmhoroids) but I just couldn't right now![/QUOTE]

Hello Chester4

Don't beat yourself up about canceling the colonoscopy. I think all these medical tests and the anxiety they create are part of the reason your bp is hard to control. Granted you had blood but you know you have hemorroids. I can really relate to how you feel. I had an appt with a new GYN yesterday and ended up cancelling it myself. After 2 trips to a cardiologist I just didn't have it to give. I actually had a panic attack just before taking the stress test! :eek: Sometimes you just need to give this medical stuff a break.

I really recommend you speak to your doc about some sort of antidepressant therapy. It helped Molly123 and a lot of other women on this board. I am starting on Paxil tomorrow night. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thinking of you. Hope you feel better.
Gail :wave:

chester4 07-20-2005 05:43 PM

babydog, Thanks so much ! I think I just really needed someone to say it is alright. So many people have judged my decision to cancel my appointment but they can't know how debilitating the anxiety is. I will let you know what the doctor says Thanks again Ann

rmc12 07-21-2005 12:12 PM

Ann,

I posted to you under the How is everyone coping thread but I just wanted to respond here too after reading this thread that you started. (i am a bit behind in posts due to getting ready for visitors here). Again, you sound so much like me. You should really look on this board at previous posts about health anxiety and I am sure you will see my name crop up many many many many times!! I was totally obsessed about this exam in particular and I too have not gone yet either. I think babydog is right (think she posted this) that you shouldn't beat yourself up about cancelling. The anxiety just takes over and it makes things not so simple as they would be normally.It just makes it all overwhelming. THoughts become distorted and overblown and one knows they are doing it but can't help themselves. My heart goes out to you as I have been there and know I am still like that at times and I know will be!!

I Had an ultrasound after a pap last year (everything turned out fine) and I was over the top with anxiousness. I just could not stop myself from fretting. So believe me I know how you feel.

Be good to yourself and pamper yourself thru this time and again know you are not alone in how you feel.

Oh and Molly's suggestion about the book The Pause, is one I was going to echo as it is a great book that discusses all the symptoms beyond just hot flashes we all hear about.

Take care,

rmc

chester4 07-21-2005 02:27 PM

Hi all, I just came back from the Dr. We decided that some Paxil will help. I hope so . She said it would take a couple of weeks to kick in, that I should take it at bedtime as it may be a bit sedating. I feel better just knowing that I may have relief. I hope it will help around the health anxiety as well. I again thank all of you for being here! Hope all are well! Ann