It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Can anyone relate?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2005, 09:51 AM   #1
    jana66
    (female)

jana66 HB User
    Can anyone relate?

Little history: For the past year or so, I started experiencing alot of anxiety (especially health) which led me to many doctor visits to deal with certain issues. I have had 2 pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds, lots of blood work and a ctscan (to check for kidney stones due to complaint of left sided flank pain). All that was found was ovarian cysts on both ovaries with the largest at the time being 2 cm. Doctors were not concerned. Anyway, off and on throughout the months I have had different aches and pains in my back, flank, hips, pelvic area and abdomen. I have also become way too in tune to my bowel movements that seem to be continually changing in consistency and shape/size. It has come to the point where I actually get nervous beforehand wondering what they will look like (anxiety setting in ).
    I also seem to be burping more often (could be extra air from constantly over-breathing) and lots of stomach gurgles and noises, especially early in the morning while lying in bed.
    After alot of debate (due to fear) I finally went to see the doctor about all of these more recent issues. His first and strongest instinct was IBS, but since this is a diagnosis of exclusion, he wants to eliminate other possibilities. (I am glad that he is being thorough). He also thinks that I may be perimenopausal even though past hormone blood tests were normal. I actually have many symptoms of perimenopause (hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia).
    Well, he is sending me for more complete blood work, a complete abdominal ultrasound and a barium enema. The latter is the one that I am worried about.
    Can anyone tell me about this procedure (what to expect, advice, etc...) or share any similar symptoms and diagnosis'. By the way, I am 39, mother of 2 teenagers, no family history of cancer, my mother through meno at 44.
    I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks a bunch for reading!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
    calgarygirl
    (female)

calgarygirl HB User
    Re: Can anyone relate?

Hi there,
    While reading your post my first instinct was IBS. I am quite certain that this is also what I suffer from as I have all the symptoms you are describing and then some. And I know the dr.'s will usually only diagnose you after ruling out other similar symptoms. Unfortunately I am a big chicken and will have nothing to do with a colonoscopy. I am 38 and have never had any invasive proceedures done at all. But I do have the growling in my stomach, it isn't necessarily in the am-can be at any time and doesn't always happen while laying down. My stools are also different shapes and sizes but I usually suffer from diarreaha when it acts up. I have abdominal discomfort as well; side and lower back pain sometimes. I also have the feeling of urgency when I need to go and sometimes when I'm done-I feel as though I'm not. I too have anxiety related to this. I'm afraid that if I'm out somewhere and need to use the bathroom and there isn't any around, what will I do. I also at times have the indigestion (burping) too. I've also had chest pains in the past which I'm beginning to think may have something to do with IBS.
    Although I have never had ovarian cysts, I do know a few ladies that did have some abdominal cramping/pain, sore back and sides from ovarian cysts. I never heard them discuss a difference in their bowel movements or the indigestion so I'm not sure about that.
    I wish you luck with your tests and hope they can get to the bottom of this for you.
    Good luck, Chris

Old 07-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jana66
    Little history: For the past year or so, I started experiencing alot of anxiety (especially health) which led me to many doctor visits to deal with certain issues. I have had 2 pelvic and transvaginal ultrasounds, lots of blood work and a ctscan (to check for kidney stones due to complaint of left sided flank pain). All that was found was ovarian cysts on both ovaries with the largest at the time being 2 cm. Doctors were not concerned. Anyway, off and on throughout the months I have had different aches and pains in my back, flank, hips, pelvic area and abdomen. I have also become way too in tune to my bowel movements that seem to be continually changing in consistency and shape/size. It has come to the point where I actually get nervous beforehand wondering what they will look like (anxiety setting in ).
    I also seem to be burping more often (could be extra air from constantly over-breathing) and lots of stomach gurgles and noises, especially early in the morning while lying in bed.
    After alot of debate (due to fear) I finally went to see the doctor about all of these more recent issues. His first and strongest instinct was IBS, but since this is a diagnosis of exclusion, he wants to eliminate other possibilities. (I am glad that he is being thorough). He also thinks that I may be perimenopausal even though past hormone blood tests were normal. I actually have many symptoms of perimenopause (hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia).
    Well, he is sending me for more complete blood work, a complete abdominal ultrasound and a barium enema. The latter is the one that I am worried about.
    Can anyone tell me about this procedure (what to expect, advice, etc...) or share any similar symptoms and diagnosis'. By the way, I am 39, mother of 2 teenagers, no family history of cancer, my mother through meno at 44.
    I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks a bunch for reading!

Hi. Welcome! LOL Let me humor u up a bit coz i was just like you. I saw every doctor I believe that's been created. IBS, sure sounds like it. Is it a part of perimenopause, u bet although you probably had it before but just became prevelant when you began hormonal change. Uhh, during peri, hormones can be normal, so don't just go by that. Progesterone at your age is definitely changing if not really low. You could try a natural progesterone creme. I'm not a doctor, so just making suggestions related to what I used and helped me. Also magnesium helps IBS. Changes in stool can be related to either your diet or diet with IBS or nerves. Could be your fiber too and if you are using fiber, u will definitely see bowel changes. I don't think you have cancer, you would have more than just pain, you would have blood in yoru stool. You can also get blood in your stool from hemmoroids, colitis (spastic colon) and IBS. Even diverticulosis will do this. And yes, you can get flank pain with ovarian cysts. The reason they don't worry about them, coz most cysts are because u ovulated and they just didn't amount to anything. If you had an ovarian disease, well they would have picked that up by now but an ultra sound of the pelvic and uteris would answer alot there. The barium test is easy. The adominal ultra sound is easy. I was all worked up with mine for nothing. You will be juist fine. I understand your health anxiety. When peri hits, it begins to hit hard. Yikes! To me, you sound very perimenopausal. Also, the girgly sound in your stomach and intestines is just water, gas it won't hurt you but is a nuisance. That really sounds like IBS. IBS is not a disease but just a disorder. Some people have it so bad they have to be on meds. Fiber helps alot with this. Also stay away from spicey foods, etc. and alcohol. It will go away, promise. I took aciphex for acid reflex and it seemed to help my IBS. Go figure! When ever I get crazed with hormonal changes, I get IBS or if I am very emotional. Actually, when my gyne told me she was giving me Prozac for my hormonal swings and it would also help my IBS, she was not lieing. It helped tremendously. Good Luck and ask any questions you want here. We are here for you

Andrea

Old 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
    jana66
    (female)

jana66 HB User

Wow! You don't know how good you both have made me feel with your responses. It almost makes me want to cry just knowing that I am not alone. My husband and children really try to understand what I go through but they really don't. They keep telling me that I think too much about everything. It is soooo hard not to think about bad things when I seem to have all of these crazy symptoms. I personally suspected peri months ago, but my gyno laughs and tells me I am too young. What other reason would there be to go from a normal person (well some might debate that LOL) to someone who feels like they are falling apart? Aside from all the digestive issues and the aches and pains, I am starting to get more and more nights that I go to bed and lay there unable to sleep until sometime after 3 in the morning. Other nights I fall asleep OK but wake up in the middle of the night throwing the covers off and covered in sweat. Ther are also times when I will be sitting at work and all of a sudden I feel totally flushed. My face actually feels warm to the touch and I sometimes get red blotches on my face and chest. I am guessing these are hot flashes? The PMS has been crazy. I have been tracking it for the last few months. It starts about 10 days before my period. My period (heavy with lots of clotting and pain) has been coming every 28 days for most months, with the exception of a few months here and there where it was a few days late. Last cycle it was 5 days late. Once my cycle is over (6 days) I actually feel good for about 4-5 days. Then I tend to start getting ovulation pains anywhere from day 12-14 of my cycle. When you think about it, there are so many more bad days than good! I'm sure I am sounding like a real complainer but it just feels REALLY good to voice (or type , I guess) these feelings.
    Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks again for your responses!

Last edited by jana66; 07-27-2005 at 02:28 PM.

Old 07-27-2005, 05:44 PM   #5
    gingertea
    Veteran
    (female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User

I've had all the same aches and pains.........the tests I had were a colonoscopy, endoscopy, abdominal ultrasound, sitz marker test, small bowel follow through, transvaginal ultrasounds, etc., etc. They found I was infected with H. Pylori, and have acid reflux. The ultrasounds found ovarian cysts, and fibroids. Yes, the cysts do cause flank pain. If you have one rupture it travels down the whole leg. Just about the same time perimenopause kicked in big time. On top of all the other stuff I am constantly anxious, have insomnia, BIG TIME PMS, late cycles, clotting. They treated the H. Pylori, so that's gone. A change in diet helped the acid reflux. (No dairy products, cut way back on sugar, fats, and added lots of fiber and extra fluid.) I take a PPI to help block the acid in the stomach. As far as the perimenopause, cysts, fibroids, etc., I am going to start a very low dose BCP. My doctor and I hope this cuts down on the
    peri symptoms (especially anxiety), the heavy cycles and PMS. She is not worried about the cysts and fibroids for now. They have stayed the same, except for a cyst that ruptured and disappeared. The tests were easy, not painful, just time consuming. I didn't have a barium enema....they did the colonoscopy instead because of my age (53). All in all, my digestive problems cleared up....except when I eat something I shouldn't. I'm hoping the BCP will help the peri......I'm not usually a complainer, and I never get sick....but this really did me in. Things are looking up now, so there is light at the end of the tunnel! Hang in there! Good luck with your tests, and I hope you feel better soon!

Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
    jana66
    (female)

jana66 HB User

Thanks again to all of you and wishing you all good health and happy days to come!

Old 07-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
    chester4
    (female)

chester4 HB User

Oh I am releived to hear that others have this health anxiety. my problem is I am too anxious to have these tests so I just worry alot. Back in May I had some blood after a bowel movement and straining. This started the anxiety. When my dr. ordered a colonoscopy I went into panic mode and eventually had to cancel as I was so worked up about the test and the possible outcome. Then I had a scare with my mamogram around the same time which nearly drove me over the edge! The Dr. put me on Paxil last week and I will go back Sept. 1st. I hope it helps with the anxiety. I am afraid something awful is wrong with me although I physically feel fine and have not had any further issues. The Dr. thinks its the peri symptoms. Also I have recently joined alonon online and found that some of this anxiety may be due to my past( child of alcholics) So needless to say I have been quite a mess but I have found these boards so helpful and am hoping the paxil works. I think it has a bit as I am not in tears now as I have been so often these last months! Good Luck to all and thanks for sharing! Ann

Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
    jana66
    (female)

jana66 HB User

UPDATE:

Well, I had all of my tests done and went to the doctor's office yesterday for the results. I really do think that most of my problems are anxiety based because I feel so much better knowing that there doesn't seem to be anything seriously wrong with me!
    The barium enema was normal. The abdominal ultrasoud showed that all of my organs seem to be fine. There was some "free flowing fluid" in my pelvic cavity that the doctor thinks was one of my ovarian cysts rupturing. This actually makes alot of sense, because a few days before the ultrasound, I had a day or two that I was nauseous and I had some pain off and on near the right of my belly button going down into my lower right pelvic area. For a while, I was thinking that it was my appendix!
    The blood tests showed everything in the normal ranges except for being borderline anemic and my iron being at only 8. It was the same last December, but after being on an iron supplement for 3 months, it was back in the normal range so the doctor has put me back on the supplement for another 3 months. He seems to think that it is from my very heavy, clotty periods.
    I just wanted to update you all and thanks again for your kind responses. Those of you suffering from health anxiety like I do, I strongly suggest having whatever tests are required done so that you can put your mind at ease as well. Even if something had been found wrong with me, I would rather deal with it than live everyday of my life completely consumed with worry and fear.
    Take care for now!
    Jana

Closed Thread