It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board

• Having a Break Down

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
    playagirl
    (female)

playagirl HB User
    Having a Break Down

I just found this board. Hope you guys can tell me I am not going out of my mind.

On 6/17 I got sick and thought I had a stomach virus. Two days later I realized it was more than that and went to a walk in clinic. Dr. thought it was diverticulities put me on Levaquin. I felt better, the stomach pain subsided but my fever went up to 103.5 and I went to the ER. ER told me I had bacteria and a uti and a mass on my ovary. After more tests they said it was a couple of cysts and to follow up with my gyn.

I did that and was told that I had PID which was very unusual for my age (50) and the dr told me that they usually see it in women in early 20's who have multiple sex partners. I assured him not only did I not have multiple partners I hadn't had sex in a very, very long time. An embarrasingly long time.

He thought it was ovarian cancer, he said this type of infection usually is. Thank God it wasn't. I had to have an oopherectomy on 7/13.

Right before getting sick I had gone off birth control as per dr's instructions 6 months prior. So during my illness I couldn't sleep (at all) had night sweats. I thought it all due to the infection but now realize it was menapause starting.
    After surgery the dr. put me on Estrastep ( 2 weeks not). I am not having night sweats but have a whole new set of issues.

I still can't sleep and am taking Ambien. Today I had two panic attacks (I think, never had one before). I called dr and he said to stop taking the pill and see him Monday. Then later in the day I had another attack, shortness of breath, heart palpitations. I thought I was losing it and I called him back and asked him for something to take. He sounded a bit annoyed.

At this moment I feel almost back to normal but am afraid it is going to happen again.

Is it the pill? Is it menapause? I feel like something took over my body.

Any helpful advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User
    Re: Having a Break Down

What took over your body is menopause. To have night sweats, hot flashes, shortness of breath and panic attacks is part of the lovely prize or should I say surprise. Medicine could have reactions such as this too, but what you'e gone through, it sounds more like menopause and your age also. The best thing to do is not to fear the panic attacks. That's what happened to me and I just made them worse. just float through them, tell yourself you're just having a panic attack and you will not let it control you. It's not easy but if you float through them, the body will get the message. Anxiety too plays a large role in menopause. Hope this helps you and this is a great board to let it all out

Old 08-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
    katidid95
    Veteran
    (female)

katidid95 HB User

About 5 months ago I had panic attacks every night for several weeks that were completely out of the blue. After numerous tests, I'm left to believe that it's hormone related. I had my hormones tested and all were low - at menopause levels (I'm 47 and have been in perimenopause at least 7-8 years). I'm still woking on a "cure", anything that will help. This is just not me! I've been feeling a lot better lately, and then 2 nights ago when I was trying to go to sleep, I had an attack and resorted to taking a 1/2 of a clonazapan (sp?) which my general Dr. prescribed to get me through the original bad patch. I still have constant chest tightness/pain and heart palps off and on (along with other typical peri symptoms....) I've never had anxiety in my life until now and it's the worst!

Old 08-06-2005, 04:48 AM   #4
    HELLASRULES
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi ladies,
    I don't know if this will help, but thought I would throw it in anyway. I have had anxiety attacks from peri-menopause right up till 2 weeks ago. Which for me was probably about 10 yrs... the worse being the last year, year and a half. Whether it was just time for them to go away or the very small change I made about a month ago that helped, I'm not 100% sure. But...About a month ago I decided to add Omega-3 fish oil to my diet, mainly for dry eye and being at that age where your cholesterol starts creeping up.
    After 2 weeks of taking it, my anxiety just disappeared. Still have dry eye, but no anxiety. Coincidence? Maybe. But others have said they've read that fish oil (in studies) had a surprising benefit of helping depression/anxiety! If it's true, and I just happened to have stumbled on to this...I think it's great.
    And even if it is just coincidence, fish oil benefits are pretty widely accepted, so I'll take it anyway, even if the anxiety comes back.
    All I know is that I haven't felt this "normal" in a long, long time!

Old 08-06-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
    cartman4
    (female)

cartman4 HB User

playgirl, I also thought I was loosing my mind! Anxiety tearfulness, worry over health issues and panic attacks in the middle of the night. My Dr. prescribed Paxil and I have been doing better. It also has helped me to sleep(I never slept more than 2-3 hours at a time) so I was always tired. Everything annoyed me as well. Thank fully I found these boards and am able to talk about it with others that understand! Hang in We will all be okay together! Ann

Old 08-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
    jzzlvr13
    (female)

jzzlvr13 HB User

All of the above posts sound like me. The difference is I'm 60 and went through menopause without much trouble about eight years ago. Then a year ago it hit the fan. I've had every symptom known to man since and it's driving me crazy. My endo put me back on low dose hrt patch but hasn't made a difference. I also have an out of whack thyroid. I have tried to avoid anxiety/depression meds but think I'm going to have to go that route as I'm starting to dread getting up in the morning. It's the pits!
    Barbara

Old 08-07-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User

Hi All,

This is most definitely the scariest time of our lives. The person we used to be has disappeared and this person we don't know and have no control over has taken over!

As Hellas said, I have read that Fish Oil is great for anxiety and depression. I would take it myself, but my stomach won't tolerate it. I did resort to taking an AD, though. I am in menopause also (51) and the depression and anxiety hit me so bad last fall and early this year, I finally went to my GYN in March and told me - just give me something!! I wasn't sleeping either, an like you, dreaded waking up the next morning and having to go thru it all over again. Cried on the way to work, in the shower, etc. Terrible - and normally I am a happy person. The anxiety and nervousness were horrible too. I couldn't get a grip on it.

Do you by any chance take magnesium? It is great for helping you to sleep and helping to calm the nerves also. I started taking it about six years ago when I first started going thru peri. It does help.

Ann, glad you are feeling better on the Paxil. You should really start feeling it kicking in by now, and it will continue to do so for a while yet. Has it been a month on it yet, or just two or three weeks?

Jackie

Old 08-07-2005, 08:26 AM   #8
    ainfante
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ainfante HB Userainfante HB Userainfante HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I skipped as usual a period or two got it and was worse after my period than before my period. I take Prozac, 20 mg., just curious how much the ladies on the board take in their AD. I think I'm pooping out a bit on it though. Been taking it for a year now. It really helped alot coz I was like you ladies, crying, nervous, anxiety, you name it. And my brother died, that made everything even worse.

Andrea

Old 08-07-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Andrea, I take 10 mg of the Lexapro. I just started taking L Tyrosine with it (to try to combat the sexual side afects) and have cut down to 5 mg now. Feel great, by the way. We'll see how it goes. I know you said the Prozac doesn't affect you sexually, and that is great! The lexapro works so well for me, I wish it didn't have that one side affect. sigh..

Jackie

Old 08-07-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
    cartman4
    (female)

cartman4 HB User

Jackie, It has been about 2 and 1/2 weeks on the paxil. I have been a bit better then this morning after a bowel movement I saw a drop of blood on the toilet paper and started with the worry and axiety again! The health stuff seems to never end!

Old 08-07-2005, 09:20 AM   #11
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ann, I didn't think it had been long on the Paxil, but time goes by so fast, I figured it had been longer than a couple of weeks. Do you have hemrroids? My husband has those, but you really do need to have the colonoscopy. I know you're scared, but you must get this seen about, ok? Most likely you are fine, but just need to make sure. My husband has had several, and he says the worst part of it is just passing the gas afterwards.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:35 AM   #12
    cartman4
    (female)

cartman4 HB User

I do have hemmorhoids which I hope is all that it is. i go back to see my Dr. about the anxiety on 9/1 and will talk to her about it then. Before starting on the paxil I was scheduled for one but really thought I would have a stroke due to anxiety so I cancelled. I am hoping the paxil helps me to cope.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:39 AM   #13
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ann, I am sure the Paxil will help with the anxiety about that. By the time you go to the doctor, you should be feeling good as far as anxiety. I am also sure that it is only hemmorhoids, but you just need to make sure.

Just relax, and don't worry about it for now, ok? Hope you have a good Sunday!

Jackie

Old 08-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #14
    cartman4
    (female)

cartman4 HB User

Jackie, Thanks for your support! I mean it many people just don't get the anxiety and how bad it can be. It is so helpful to talk to someone who understands! I will try to relax for now that is good advise. All the best Ann

Old 08-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #15
    littlejmb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oh Ann, I do get it! I am having a root canal done, and I was petrified before it started, so I know what it's like. Most times we build things up to be much worse than they turn out to be. (thank goodness) Keep us posted, ok?

Closed Thread