HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Menopause (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/)
-   -   Stabbing pains in head (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/menopause/315429-stabbing-pains-head.html)

JudeNZ 08-16-2005 02:27 AM

Stabbing pains in head

HI everyone,

Today I've developed sharp stabbing pains in left side of head and around top of my ear. Was wondering if maybe neuralgia or an infection in a cyst I have. I also have a terrible head cold, and am pretty stressed at the present time with life happenings. Also had what feels like nerve pain in a tooth in front. I suddenly wondered if menopause is responsible for this and thought I'd ask. If neuraglia, has anyone else developed it as a result of menopause?

Jude

nornie 08-16-2005 07:08 AM

Re: Stabbing pains in head

[QUOTE=Judenz]HI everyone,

Today I've developed sharp stabbing pains in left side of head and around top of my ear. Was wondering if maybe neuralgia or an infection in a cyst I have. I also have a terrible head cold, and am pretty stressed at the present time with life happenings. Also had what feels like nerve pain in a tooth in front. I suddenly wondered if menopause is responsible for this and thought I'd ask. If neuraglia, has anyone else developed it as a result of menopause?

Jude[/QUOTE]

Jude,

I would guess it's most likely your symptoms are coming from your head cold. I had a bad cold once and ended up at the dentist thinking I needed to have a tooth extracted it hurt so bad - but the tooth was fine. Germs just get into all the sinus cavities occasionally with a bad cold and can cause pain all over your head, even your teeth.

That being said, I should mention that I have those "stabbing on the one side of the head" headaches. I've done lots of research on them and found they're actually fairly common - common enough to have a real name - icepick headaches! Cause they sure do feel like someone is just stabbing you with an icepick. I'd never been one prone to headaches, but have to say my icepicks started at the beginning of peri. I'm 2 years post and don't get them as much, just occasionally. So I'd say there's a connection there somewhere. I know others have posted about neuralgia though, so perhaps someone else will be more helpful.

Nornie

JudeNZ 08-17-2005 02:10 PM

Thanks a million for your reply - they have now gone so here's hoping they stay away. Good thing was I coped pretty well and didn't stress myself out that i was going to drop dead on the spot. Tdere's a positive to everything. I'll keep the icepick headaches in mind though if it occurs again.

Regards

Jude

rmc12 08-20-2005 09:23 AM

HI Jude,

Saw this post a little late but was glad to hear that your splitting headache is gone. I have, as the other poster said, had those type of headaches where even my teeth hurt and it is no fun. Also stress seems to make it worse for sure.

Just wanted to comment and say it was good to "see" you., although sorry you were in discomfort.

I still use the one method you mentioned to me awhile ago envisioning the numbers on the board , to relieve anxiousness or talking to oneself and saying "stop it". ...so wanted to thank you again. Some times i am more successful than others at it though!! LOL!!

Hope you are doing better.

Take care,

rmc